Wood – Specific building material that is best combined with the wood itself. And if you have a wooden house, to add a shed is the most sensible of all of the same material. The tree is good and from the point of view that it is quite simple to handle yourself, and with an adequate approach, the owner will be able to quickly and cheap the desired design with their own hands.
Advantages and disadvantages
Wooden canopy can be built not only to the house from a tree – wood as the main material can be used even when the building itself is built from anything else. The key advantages of the tree are as follows:
- Ecology and security – In the age of all kinds of harmful plastics and synthetics, natural wood does not affect our health and does not spoil the planet to our children;
- availability – Russia is a country with huge stocks of wood, therefore there are no problems in order to buy a bar or other derivatives;
- reliability – Properly chosen wood will easily serve the owners of the decade, even on the street, if you strengthen the material with special compositions;
- Easy processing – Unlike most competing materials, wood has the advantage that the skills of working with it have the majority of men “with hands”, and unauthorized assistance will not need;
- cosiness – The tree is perceived as very warm and somewhere even native material, it creates an indescribable feeling of home comfort.
Naturally, we will seek, saying that the disadvantages of the wood canopy will not. In terms of strength, even the best wood is inferior to both the stone and metal, and it, being a natural material, may be interesting for rodents, insects and other pests. In addition, wood is susceptible to the destructive impact of moisture.
Nevertheless, the modern industry has created various varnishes, paints and verses that solve most of the problems described, although you must be prepared for the fact that for the maximum long service life, you will have to care for a wooden product.
Description of species
Wood canopy – this is too general description of a constructive solution that does not specify in no way as such a design looks and for what purpose it was created. You can classify the adjacent and separate wooden canopies in many parameters, we will consider only the two most simple and common.
Sports features will be very different depending on what practical tasks he is intended to solve. You can select many classes of canopies depending on their destination, but we will focus on the three most common.
- Visor. This design option is the most small and primitive construction, in most cases it involves the covering of some square meter before exiting the building and, perhaps the staircase adjacent to it. This is a tribute to the architecture under the old days, when glazed windows in buildings were usually not opened, – residents of the house could breathe fresh air in the rain, just going out on the street, but they did not want to mock. Today in many architectural projects, the need for visor is ignored, although many smokers probably would have been very grateful for him.
- Shed-terrace. A much more advanced version of the previous canopy, which actually means a separate room, really not having two or even three walls. Such an architectural solution is particularly relevant in the hot season, because it combines the opportunity to hide from the rain or the scorching sun and the maximum access of fresh air from the street. The terrace is never too small, therefore is built with reliable supporting beams.
- Separate economic structure. Theoretically, the view of the ordinary wooden canopy can purchase many economic buildings on the site: from summer kitchen to the likeness of an open car parking garage. There can also be a different inventory that does not represent interest for intruders.
Wooden canopies can differ significantly in design (depending on which configuration they are covered). From this point of view, the following varieties of canopies are distinguished:
- Double – mimic a classic roof, consist of two separate half, gentle in opposite sides;
- Single-car – consisting of one inclined surface;
- Straight – Canopy covers one layer of wood, which is not inclined anywhere;
- multifaceted – the shape of the canopy is difficult to describe in one word, it does not fit into one of the three categories mentioned above.
Although we have already decided to build a canopy from wood, it is necessary to understand that its derivatives are completely different types, and our task is to choose those types of wood that will help solve the tasks.
First of all, any solid canopy (larger than little visor) requires pillars. If the canopy is still not such a giant, even a bar of different diameters may have enough (usually 10-20 cm), but for the impressive terraces will have to use thick rounded logs. The cuttack and rafters are also made from the bar or boards, but the diameter is not needed here is not so big – it should be chosen, focusing on the weight of the future design and the additional load in the form of snow or the bust of the wind.
Alternatively use glued wood, whose surface is brought to the quality of furniture, But it will cost very expensive, and in the independent performance it will look too difficult.
For the construction of outdoor structures, it is better to choose the best wood without visible shortcomings, dried by appropriate technology and thoroughly impregnated with antiseptics.
As the basis for the wooden canopy in the form of the arch, a metal frame of steel profile, forged bars or pipes. Wherein In some styles and directions, sharpened to the maximum authenticity of the old, no metal structures can be considered acceptable, and even the bar is not welcome – Instead, practically untreated logs and rods are used, and in some cases it is possible to take even a dry garden. However, the last case requires a subtle designer taste, otherwise instead of a stylish canopy, a small bungalow will be made on an ambulance hand.
In most cases, wood should not be used as a roof as such, because on top of the visor costs something to cover. As a rule, you choose inexpensive solutions, like ondulin or polycarbonate. Wisely cover a bounted canopy than covered and the house itself, if only it is not expensive tile.
Preparing the project
At first glance, a canopy of wood, collected by his own hands, may seem rather simple design in order to make a drawing – as soon as you come to this solution, the probability of committing a critical error will increase repeatedly. In fact, without pre-sketched schemes with the exact parameters of all parts, it is impossible to build none – even the most primitive – structure, if only we are talking about something durable and reliable.
Before drawing up the drawing, it is necessary to answer several important issues. The first of them – what territory can be taken by construction, how many free space for the deployment of the project. The following questions are for the sake of what purpose can be built and, therefore, what size it should be to meet the requirements.
Deciding with sizes, you can estimate which materials are optimal use for construction. Deciding and this question, the designer will get the opportunity to roughly calculate how much its design will weigh. Here it is necessary to take into account the extra load, which is created by precipitation and wind, – at least one must ask the maximum level of snow in the past few decades in the region chosen for construction.
Stripping from the knowledge gained, you need to think about not only the thickness of each individual support, but also their total number, the distance between the supports and so on.
How to build a visor with your own hands?
If you do not want to mess around with a full-fledged canopy, and the big covered area is still not needed, you can quickly and cheap (without any foundation) to collect a small visor, which will not even need to add, – he is simply nailed over the entrance door, and you can collect it Literally on the floor!
There are at least four possible visor options that differ in shape: arched, single, curly and double. For a beginner in the assembly of such structures, it is best to create a single project – it is rightly considered the easiest and most likely to be collected without errors. Sizes are determined as follows: Width – more width width half meter, length – approximately 80 cm, the optimal bias is considered 30 degrees.
Fixed to the building a light visor will be at the expense of the console – a kind of vertical design, which is best to collect from a reliable bar with a cross section of 7.5 cm, which is able to withstand the full weight of the canopy, even with accumulated at the top of the snow and under conditions of sharp blows of the wind. For the crate, a more subtle wood is suitable – the same bar can be used and when 5 cm. At the same time, such a visor has no details that are reliably protected from atmospheric effects, so that absolutely all the material must be impregnated with hydrophobic compositions or at least painted with waterproof paint.
Next, the master’s tasks include the creation of a flat frame (or two, connected to each other at an angle for the formation of a duplex surface), followed by a packing of a milking roof and roofing material if it is provided. Fix the design to the wall need long anchors leaving at home at least two-thirds.
How to make a canopy over the porch?
In this case, everything starts with a drawing, in which even the slopes that cannot exceed 35 degrees should be carefully thought out. The design is drawn in such a way that any of the people living in the house felt comfortably comfortable, was not forced to bend.
Preparing the necessary derivatives of wood and tools to work with it, mark the area, sowing a place for baking supports and general contours of the future canopy. If the groundwater in this place is suitable pretty close to the surface, be sure to treat future supports with waterproofing compositions. In most cases, they are enough to wear into the ground to some half-meter in the depth, but on loose soils there is a sense and concrete wells for increased stability.
If you still chose the fill method of support with concrete, no further operations can be carried out until it freezes. Here you have to gain patience, because until the complete setting of the concrete may well be a couple of weeks. It is impossible to engage in the strapping and creating a cratery before full pouring, and otherwise “reliable” concreted supports will be eliminated and unstable.
Rafters and a doom can be attached to supports nails or more popular self-draws today. At the same time, upon completion of the assembly, the entire design must be immediately treated with special means that protect against rotting and mold. Only then should go to the installation of roofing materials that are fixed in the same way – self-draws or nails.
Some projects, in addition to the purely functional parts of the porch, suggest even various decor options. If in your project, decorative parts appeared, to install them in most cases you need to have a fully assembled canopy.
In the next video, it is described how to make a wooden canopy to the house.