In the design of the shower cabin, siphon plays a peculiar intermediate role. It provides the redirection of the used water from the pallet into the sewer. And also its function includes the provision of a hydraulic shutter (more known as a water cork), which can not always be detected due to the presence of membrane analogues protecting the apartment from the penetration of air sewage. Aircraft air may carry a danger to the respiratory system and human health, as it has toxicity.
Standard siphon design consists of two elements – it is a drain and overflow, which is also not always present. The modern market offers consumers a wide variety and selection of a variety of siphons, various designs, work and dimensions.
Based on the mechanism of action, all siphons are classified for three main groups.
- Ordinary – Standard and most often found option with which most consumers familiar. The scheme of the action of an ordinary siphon consists of the following: when closing the plug in the container, water is collected; When opening the plug, water goes to the drain stock. Accordingly, manage such aggregates is completely manually. These are considered completely outdated, albeit the cheapest, budget. Therefore, most often they prefer more modern models with an improved mechanism.
- Automatic – Such models are mainly designed for high pallets. In this design, there is a special handle for control, thanks to which the user independently opens and closes the drain hole.
- Click & Clack Design – is the most modern and convenient option. Instead of the handle, a button is presented here at the foot level. Therefore, if necessary, the owner can press open or close the drain.
Choosing a siphon, first of all it is necessary to navigate the space under the pallet, because it is there in the subsequent design will be installed.
More often, models reach 8 – 20 cm, therefore, for low tanks, a low siphon is needed accordingly.
Designs and sizes
In addition to the fact that they differ in the mechanism of action, the siphons are also divided by structural execution.
- Bottle – A similar design almost anyone met in his house in the bathroom or in the kitchen. Based on the name, it is clear that such a design appearance is similar to a bottle or a flask. One end connects to a plum with a filter grille in the pallet, the second – to the sewer pipe. In this bottle, it is settled and accumulates the entire trash falling in stock before it is utilized in the sewer system. But also in its function includes the provision of a system by hydraulic. It is created due to the fact that the siphon is somewhat higher than the edge of the input pipe.
There are two types: The first – with a tube immersed in water, the second – with two communicating cameras separated by the partition. Despite the small design difference both types of equally effective. In general, this type of construction is distinguished by impressive dimensions, which practically does not make it possible to use them together with low pallet shower cabins (a special podium will help here). They are only convenient for them to be very easy to clean from the contaminants that have accumulated inside, it is enough to unscrew the side cover or through a special opening from below.
- Classic pipes – are also quite common models, visually look like a tube curved in the form of the letter “U” or “s”. The hydraulic circuit is located in the segment of natural pipe bend. The design is reliable and distinguished by high resistance due to its hardness. Such a type due to the smooth walls, poorly incandes the dirt and therefore does not need frequent cleaning. You can purchase models of different sizes that are difficult to use low pallets.
- Corrugated – This option is the most convenient if the space in the room is limited, as the corrugation can be given any desired position, which will also simplify the installation process. Accordingly, the hydraulic shutter is formed at the scene of the bend, however, the water must cover the pipe hole completely so that the hydraulic reasons function correctly. The disadvantage of the corrugated pipe is its short-life and rapid accumulation of dirt in folds, which requires frequent prophylactic cleaning.
- Drapp-plum – characterized by simplicity of design and installation. Designed for low pallet cabins, missing plugs and inputs for overflow. In the height of the drain reaches from 80 mm.
- “Dry” – This design was developed with the minimum height value, while the manufacturers abandoned the classical hydraulic lock and replaced its silicone membrane, which during straightening passes water, and after it takes the initial state and does not produce harmful sewer gases. Visually it looks like a tightly rolled polymer tube. The advantage of dry siphon is that it perfectly functions at minus temperatures and a warm floor system (causes the hydraulic water drying). It is suitable in size even for the lowest pallet. However, such fittings are the most expensive, and in the case of clogging or breakdown, the repair membrane will cost expensive.
- With overflow – Its installation is carried out only if it is provided in the structure of the pallet, in this case the corresponding siphon will need. It is distinguished by the fact that an additional pipe passes between the siphon and overflow, at the same time the armature can be any of those listed above. Typically make a corrugated pipe to change the location when necessary. The presence of overflow allows you to use the pallet at the appropriate depth for washing things or as a bath for a small child.
- With a special basket, Which can be extracted. Cells in such a grid are more than in the one that is present in self-cleaning siphons.
- Straps, Equipped with grille and plug, locking the drain hole.
Paying attention to the most common type of pallets, namely low, the corrugations are perfect for it, and even better – drain.
Drain ladder is inserted as an ordinary siphon into a drain hole or poured right into the base of concrete (in a concrete tie) that performs the function of the pallet. It is worth considering that the lower the height of the ladder, the more effective it performs its function.
Criterias of choice
The principle of operation and design are not the only criteria for choosing a siphon. Its technical characteristics and especially – diameter.
So that Plumbers served for a long time and fully fulfilled all his work, when choosing the necessary characteristics should be taken into account.
- First of all, the space located between the pallet and the floor should be taken into account. This is the main and decisive criterion, all subsequent features are taken into account next turn.
- The diameter value of the drain hole. Standard pallets have diameter indicators 5.2 cm, 6.2 cm and 9 cm. Therefore, before buying, you must definitely find the diameter of the drain hole, measuring it. If the siphon for connecting to the sewage system already comes together with the shower and fully suitable in all parameters, it is better to use it.
- Bandwidth. This will determine which speed capacity will be released from the used water, how fast the design will be clogged, and how often it will have to be cleaned. The average bandwidth in shower cabins is 30 l / min, greater water consumption can only be with additional functions, for example, hydromassage. The bandwidth indicator is determined by measuring the water layer located above the level of the drain surface. For a full removal of water, the level of the water layer must be: for a diameter of 5.2 and 6.2 cm – 12 cm, for a diameter of 9 cm – 15 cm. Therefore, for low pallets, siphons of smaller diameters (50 mm) are used, and for high, respectively, large sizes. In any case, the Recommended bandwidth must be specified in the manual for the shower office, which must be considered when choosing a siphon.
- Availability of additional elements. Even the highest quality and functional siphones are clogged from time to time. In order for the future in the future I did not have to fully disassemble and dismantle the system, the drain defense should be thought out in advance. Starting from the moment of purchase, it is better to give preference to self-cleaning models or arrangements with a mesh to stop the small garbage, which will not give the plot to quickly clog. IMPORTANT: In no case cannot be cleaned with compressed air, it can lead to depressurization of compounds and leakage occurrences. Interesting the fact that the fewer the compounds has a design, the stronger it, and less chances of its depressurization.
Despite some differences, all shower siphons have the same installation order. Only additional elements are attached differently, for example, “dry” siphones, click & Clack button, and so on. However, it is best to clarify in advance, in what order is going on directly from the manufacturer, since different brands may have their own characteristics.
Before starting work, you will read the composite details of the siphon design.
- Frame. Fixed with threaded heels from a stable corrosion-resistant alloy, they can be from two to four pieces. The hull itself is most often made of polymers, and the rest of the filling is placed inside it.
- Sealing gum. The first is set between the surface of the pallet and the case, the second – between the grid and the pallet. When buying it is important to look at the surface of the rubber. Foreign manufacturers produce ribbed pads, and this significantly increases the level of reliability of sealing, with a decrease in tightening force. The latter provides a longer service life. In contrast to them, domestic manufacturers produce absolutely flat gaskets, which, on the contrary, adversely affects the service life.
- Pipe branch. This is a short tube that serves to connect the siphon to the outer tube of sewage. It can be both straight and angular, with an additional release (facing length).
- Self-adjusted gasket, nuts with washer. They are attached to the nozzle, and the nut is screwed to the carving of the removal in the housing.
- Glass of hydraulic focus. It is inserted into the housing to stop entering the room of the sewer air and holding large garbage. Fixed with metal bolts.
- Protective valve. Protects the siphon during the work. The valve is cardboard and plastic.
- Hydraulic. Equipped with sealing rubber rings, located in a glass.
- Drain grille. Produced from corrosion-resistant alloy. Equipped with hooks and mounted on the top surface of a glass. These locks protect the grille from spontaneous discharge while taking the soul.
Installation is more practical to produce after installing the pallet on the base.
- Throw the old glue to which the facing tile was attached. At the time of facing works, the lower row is never completed to the end, it must be installed only after the end of work with the pallet. We spend cleaning in the room and remove the entire formed construction trash.
- The wall next to the pallet is processed by waterproofing material. The processed area in the height will be approximately 15 – 20 cm. As a waterproofing, you can use mastic, observing all manufacturers’ recommendations. The number of layers directly depends on the state of the wall.
- Fix on the pallet legs. First we settle the cardboard sheets so that the surface does not scratch, and put the pallet on them upside down. We choose the most suitable layout of the legs, given its size and features of the carrier surface. In any case, the legs should not touch the sewage pipe. Fix the legs need to be screwed up, which should go complete with the pallet itself. They are already thought out by the calculation of the stock ratio. Do not fix reinforced screws, as they can damage the front side of the pallet.
- We put a pallet with fixed racks for the intended place and adjust the position with screws located on legs. Horizontal line check occurs in both directions. First, put on the pallet near the wall level and adjust the horizontal. Then we set the level perpendicular and again exhibit horizontal. In the end, we go back to the pallet and align. After tightening the lock nut to prevent thread self-discharge.
- Insert a simple pencil and draw a circle on it on the floor under it. At the bottom edge of the shelves draw lines. Clean the pallet.
- Apply a ruler and highlight a clearer line. Side supporting elements will be recorded here.
- We apply fixing elements to the marks and mark the location of the dowels. The upper part of the devices is located clearly over the line.
- Now drill mounting compartments for the dowels about 1 – 2 cm deeper than the length of the plastic nozzle. Spare place is needed so that the dust does not interfere with the nozzles tightly enter. Fix the whole design dowels.
- To the corner parts of the pallet, we glue the waterproofing tape, plant it on double-sided tape.
After preparing the base and fixation of the pallet, you can begin the installation of the siphon. Step-by-step instructions for attaching a siphon with their own hands includes a number of consecutive operations.
- Unpack the siphon and check the integrity of the configuration, the reliability of the threaded connection.
- We wear on the nozzle (short tube) nut and gum sealing. Favorited insert into the corpus. In order for the gum to be damaged, it can be lubricated with technical oil or ordinary soap.
- Siphon put on the circle-out previously, we measure the length of the connected tube and cut it. If the pipe and the nozzle are located at an angle, then you need to use the knee. Connect the knee. It should be fixed in the direction of the sewer entrance. It is necessary to attach it before checking on the tightness of the shower. We must not forget that each compound should have a rubber seal. Check the slope of a drain pipe that should not be less than two centimeters per meter.
- As close as possible pressed the pallet to the wall and check stability, the legs should not be fused. Fix the bottom edge of the wall to the wall. We recheck and equal all the level.
- We carry out the disassembly of the siphon and carrying the drain valve.
- Unscrew from the housing the sleeve, take out the cover with the gasket.
- On the edge of the drain we apply sealant.
- We lay the previously withdrawn the gasket into the groove, which caused the semicircle.
- Now we apply the sealant to the gasket itself.
- The removed cover is attached to the drain hole of the pallet, the thread on the lid must be completely identical threads of the hole. Immediately make the connection and scroll through the sleeve on the lid.
- Next you need to fix the drain. To do this, tighten the connection of the end key, and after insert the valve.
- Come to the installation of overflow. As with the installation of the drain, it is necessary to run the laying laying with a sealant. Weakening the fastening screw and disassemble the lid. We combine the lid of overflow with a drain hole in the pallet. After the connection is tightening by the adjustable key.
- Finally, connect the knee. This is mainly carried out with the help of corrugations and, if necessary, use the corresponding adapters.
- We check the compound on the tightness of the water. At this stage it is impossible to rush, and it is important to check everything carefully for the presence of small leaks. Otherwise, insignificant and inconspicuous leaks, which cause a reproduction of the fungus and destroy the facing material during operation.
- A medium brush or small roller we apply another waterproofing material on the wall, especially carefully process the place of the joint.
- Without waiting for a complete drying of mastic, glue water-repellent film and wrap the second layer of mastic. We are waiting for a complete drying of the material that averages the day, we specify on the package.
- Install the decorative grille on the siphon and check the reliability of the attachment.
Siphon is installed and can now begin the walls of the wall with tiles, connecting mixers, soul, shower, and so on.
Cleaning and replacement
No equipment serves forever, and siphons including whatever they were. So you need to know how to change them. First of all, we remove the decorative panel at the bottom of the shower tray, which is most often attached due to snaping clips. Presses on the periphery on the panel with a little effort, and they will reveal.
Now we will disassemble the old siphon in order to install:
- we will dissemble the knee from the outer pipe of the sewage;
- adjustable key or puck unscrew the knee from the pallet;
- If overflow is provided, then disconnect it;
- and at the end you need to disassemble the drain in the order, the opposite.
For all plots, except 9 cm, you need to leave the so-called audit hole, thanks to which you can remove trash. In 90 mm, the garbage is disposed of through the drain. Once a six months it is necessary to carry out preventive cleaning, it is possible to clean them with special chemicals intended for pipes.
How to replace the siphon in the shower, look in the following video.