The drainage tank for the toilet is perhaps the most problematic element among the entire plumbing equipment. It often fails, disturbing the functionality of the whole bathroom, in addition, for a certain plumbing, you need to choose your type of adaptation, and the design plays an important role. Therefore, it is worth learn more about how to choose the perfect tank for toilet bowl.
The main functional element of the toilet – the drain tank – despite many modifications and various design, for more than 150 years it remains unchanged on the principle of work. This container is most often from ceramics containing a manual mechanical device. Its function is to provide an intensive flux for a quick flush that form a water tube and “locking” odors. The tank for the toilet to the water supply is connected through the hose system, the capacity of a certain volume is needed for the accumulation of water sufficient for washing.
Toilet tanks in the general case have 2-3 technological holes for supplying and draining water. Inside, washbasin containers have mechanisms for overlapping fluid when it fills the desired volume, and for washing it into the bowl. Plums occurs under the action of gravity.
Unitaase tanks can be separate or type of compact. In addition, there are variants of the monoblock, where the water container and the bowl of the toilet are made in a single inhabitual case.
Almost all domestic toilets of an old sample had a separate drain tank. This means that it is separated from the bowl and is suspended at the height, and the pipe is used to supply water. The advantages of this design is that the pressure is obtained very strong, therefore, the higher the capacity is located, the more intensively washing. The mechanism for washing the tank, located separately, is simpler, it occurs with the help of a rope. But such execution with a tank suspended at the ceiling, many find not too aesthetic and presentable.
Unlike separate devices having a mounted tank, the type of compact has a capacity for the accumulation of water, located directly on the toilet – in its rear after the bowl. It is believed that this plumbing is a newer type, although it has been invented for more than a century ago. Such toilets have a more aesthetic appearance, occupy less space. It is not necessary to hang on the altitude bulky and heavy container, instead of the toilet shelves instead over the toilet toilet shelves. Compact type tanks are most often made with a button with which it is flushed, less frequent models with a lever.
Monoblock is a unified inhabitual structure of the toilet and tank, The latter is located above the bowl of the back. Such a model is molded directly at the production of ceramics, metal or plastic. Disassemble fragments can not, it complicates transportation, and makes plumbing more cumbersome. But there are also advantages: the monoblock is more hygienic – there are no places of tank joints and bowls, dirt and rust do not accumulate under them and the rubber seal. Monolithic design also looks more stylish and harmonious.
Monoblock can be outdoor or suspended. The last design is more complicated in the installation, because you need to install the entire system so that it can withstand the weight of a sitting person. But it looks very original, and most importantly – under the toilet it is easier to wash the floor.
By location, the toilet tank can be external or hidden in Falsten niche.
The latter look is more complicated on the installation, in any case, it is necessary to install the partition and lay the complex output hose. But it has an original appearance, in the case of installation of the appitable toilet to falseland, many additional places are released, the territory around the device is easier to wash.
Based on the manufacture of toilet tanks can be:
- Ceramic – the most common view. Ceramics relatively durable, it is easy to clean, has a characteristic glossy shine and can have not only white, but also many other colors, which allows you to choose a plumber in accordance with the rest of the toilet room.
- Faience – Exactly were the very first toilets made in the second half of the 19th century. This material is rather fragile, in addition, has a porous structure, which complicates its cleaning, and in the pores the dirt and microbes accumulate. Modern developments reduce these disadvantages, but still faience as a material for the manufacture of plumbing for the toilet has lost its popularity.
- Tanks for toilet bowls from porcelain, Like ceramic, have a smooth surface without pore, which is easy to wash. Strength is somewhat less than that of ceramics, the view can be very presentable. But due to the high cost, porcelain tanks and toilet bowls are not too popular.
- Metal tanks For the toilet bowl and lightness exceed ceramics. Characteristic dark glitter looks very stylish and suitable for toilet room with modern design. Materials most often use stainless steel or cast iron. The last option is more fragile and heavy, so the choice is better to do in favor of steel tanks.
- Glass and natural or artificial stone Also used for the manufacture of toilet bowls, so the corresponding tanks can be purchased with them. Such products usually belong to the class of elite, often they are installed in the interiors decorated in the style of Modern. The price of such goods is high, in addition, they can be fragile.
- Reinforced acrylic To date, it is widely used for the production of baths, toilet bowls, there are also toilet tanks from it. The material is smooth, not porous, has a well-purified saturated white surface. The dignity is that with good strength it is lighter than ceramics, in addition, he is hygienic.
- Plastic It is used for the toilet tanks hidden in the wall niche. Since such a container is not visible, then the visual requirements for it is not presented, the main thing is that the mechanism is reliably functioning.
The material and color of the tank must be combined with the toilet: ceramics are selected for the ceramic device, for the steel – the same steel. Similarly, the selection of tanks from other materials.
According to the method of supplying liquid, drain tanks can be with side or lower eyewash water. In the first case, the hose is located on the right or on the left in the upper part of the device, in the second – bottom. The lower eyeliner is good because the hose is practically not visible, the sides of the tank stays free space. But such devices are more difficult to repair, and the water pressure for filling is needed intense.
The shut-off or valve for the drain tank is piston or membrane. The first type is driven by a lever with a piston, at its end there is a gasket, blocking water current in the container. Valves having a silicone or rubber membrane allow you silently and in a short time to dial water into the tank, but they are very sensitive to clean.
Drain tanks with a button are three types:
- Single-mode drain – plums when the button is pressed by the button.
- With the “Stop” mode when the first press starts the drain, and the second stops it.
- Double-mode drain has two coppes: the first is designed to drain the part of the water, the second – for the complete buck emptying.
In addition to the button, activate the drain mechanism can rod or lever. Exhaust systems drain water by raising up rods. Such a tank has a fairly simple device, repair it is easier than the design with the button. The lever mechanisms have a lever on the side or bottom, the device is triggered by pressing it. Such tanks can be models of a compact, and separate.
Outdoor drain tanks can be confused or angular. The second type is needed if the toilet is placed in the angle of the room.
So you can save free space in the toilet, and use the bathroom is no less comfortable than with the standard version.
Principle of operation
And the drain tanks of the old sample, and modern systems with two modes of work have a similar device and functionality.
Such a mechanism includes the following details:
- shut-off valve;
- bulk valve;
- Water overflowing system.
In order to control the drain of water and prevent fluid leakage without needing, there is a drain or locking fittings that have a valve with a plug, which blocks a hole overlooking the bowl of the toilet bowl. The valve is completely pressed against it under the pressure located in water tank. If a constant continuous leakage is observed in the toilet, then the malfunction of the device is associated with the drain reinforcement.
The bulk valve serves to pass water from the water pipe into the tank capacity and its overlap, when it is filled in completely. The scheme of work is arranged as follows: This valve has a compound, usually made in the form of a brass rod with a float, which, in turn, rises along with water level and closes the flow of fluid from the outside. In the old systems, the bulk valve was located on the side, and the float was horizontally, new models of drain tanks have a bulk valve from below and a vertical float made of light plastic. Most often, the breakdown of the toilet is related to this device.
Water drain and overflow systems existing on most modern tank models are designed to ensure that the water flows and the water of the drain reinforcement;. For this, special hoses are provided for.
If the mechanism of blocking water is broken, it will be poured through the edge of the tank, but goes through them and is displayed in drain communications.
The volume of the standard drain tank of separate type or compact – 6 liters. In this case, the ceramic product with all internal reinforcement weighs 10 – 11 kg. The weight of similar in terms of the acrylic device will be less. Plastic container, which is embedded in falseland, has a minimal mass.
Dimensions of split drain tanks or type compact may be different.
The most common options:
- height with a lid – 350- 400 mm;
- Length – 300-360 mm;
- Width – 150-200 mm.
To save space, the toilet is often installed in the angle of the toilet, this method is also distributed in combined bathrooms.
For this location, the angular drain tanks are chosen, compact and not inferior by the volume of ordinary types. The most small-sized such product can have a width of 275 mm. The toilet of monoblock with an inseparable tank can have a height from the floor to the top of the cover from 820 mm.
The main functional element of the tank – internal fittings – contains the following blocks: Float mechanism and drain system.
They, in turn, have individual components.
- Float, usually made of plastic, has inside the cavity with air. This is a kind of watercolor that pops up with the water level and at a certain point using the lever system blocks the flow of fluid from the water supply system. The float itself is practically not subjected to any negative impacts, but the binding links with a plug of brass, other metals and plastic are most often over.
- To open and close the drain hole, a “pear” is intended, which when the water is released upwards, and when the tank is emptying and filling it down again, down to full pressed to the saddle. This happens with a vertical guide tube of plastic and inner cavity. It contains air, which pushes a pear to the top. This item is also subject to deformation, cracking, so it often has to replace.
- Cuffs for connecting a tank and drain toilet. This is an element of not a drain mechanism, but a reliable fastening of the container and bowls. It is its tightness that determines the absence of leaks on the models of the type of compact. If there is traces of moisture in the junction of the toilet and the tank, the fault lies in the cuff, and it must be replaced. And when installing a new part for reliability it is best to additionally lubricate with sealant or silicone.
- Fastening bolts and gaskets for them. These fasteners are present in the tanks of the compact. For the drain process, they do not respond, but for the reliability and normal operation of the device it is worth checking their condition.
- Ring gasket in draining and overflow systems. This item is found in modern models and often fails. It is responsible for the tightness and reliable pumping of water into the sewage during failure, so it is necessary to monitor its condition.
The remaining components of the drain tanks for the toilet: body, cover, rod, lever or buttons. These details are less susceptible to breaking, but the main thing is to follow their integrity and is regularly washed.
Most often, drain tanks are sold complete with toileties. Therefore, in the event of a breakdown for its plumbing, it is optimal to choose original components. In this case, the dimensions will be identical, there will not arise with installation, and all the details will be harmoniously combined.
Roca Victoria – These are high-quality faience plumbing products from the Roca brand. It is possible to purchase tanks for floor toilets with a volume of 6 liters. Products have an elegant oval shape with a white glossy tint.
The water supply is carried out from below, there are two modes of operation: a complete drain and water release of 3 l, a double metal button is provided on the lid for this. Dimensions of the tank: 18,5х37х39,5 cm. Warranty is given for goods 10 years.
Toilet tanks complete with drain reinforcement Cersanit Olimpia Designed for floor toilets type compact. They are made of high-quality white faience, a rectangular shape with smooth corners. Water supply is at the bottom right, it is provided for a double operating mode for a complete and half drain, a full tank volume – 6 liters. Product dimensions: 17x36x37.5 cm, Weight complete with reinforcement – 11.9 kg.
Porcelain tanks Ceramin Grand Suitable for outdoor toilets of Verona, Cesro, Ceramin. Form trapezoidal, narrowed at the bottom, color white. Products have an excellent appearance and reliable characteristics of operation, a five-year warranty is given. Bowl dimensions: 17x38x38.5 cm.
Drain containers for floor toilets Laufen Pro have an original view of strict rectangular forms. Production material – porcelain, product weight – 13 kg, water supply is carried out on the side. The volume of the tank is 4.5 liters, a two-fold drain is provided – 3 l and completely.
Tank with drain reinforcement Villeroy & Boch Hommage In appearance and form is very original, suitable for elite design of combined bathroom. Made from porcelain product has a soft glossy shade, weight – 14.5 kg, full volume – 6 liters. Water supply takes place on the right, on the top cover there is a double button for full drain or draining 3 liters of water.
How to pick up?
First of all, the choice of a drain tank, like the toilet itself, depends on the peculiarities of the room of the toilet room. For small areas worth buying compact models with small dimensions. Often in this case, it is optimal to choose a small bowl and an angular design of a drainage container that takes the minimum space. The triangular profile of such a tank due to the greater height may not give up the volume of ordinary models.
Fans of classics Sometimes under the overall style of apartment and bathrooms set separate tanks with a long metal pipe suspended high under the ceiling. But the appearance can affect the operation. An oblong pipe, as well as the joints of the joints, it is more common to reflect, it can be clogged by the precipitate of tap water, access to the tank becomes more complicated.
The most practical and reasonable option is to install a toilet bowl with a Bach type of a compact, In addition, the design options for such a model presented a huge amount. In case of breakdowns, they are easier to repair, shut-off valves and drain valve can be achieved by simply lifting the lid, often for repair it is not even necessary to dismantle the tank itself. Yes, and enjoy them easier, because, unlike separate systems, such devices may have two modes of operation.
The choice of the volume of the drain tank is not very wide, the most commonly represented capacity of 6 liters is most often, it is quite enough for efficient operation. To save water and useful space in the toilet, you can purchase compact products with a volume of 4 – 4.5 liters. Also, when buying it is worth paying attention to the tank mass, calculate it so that the toilet or frame, the built-in wall can withstand this weight. The most commonly occurs the weight of the faience and ceramic products in the range from 9 to 13 kg.
Tips for mounting
If the toilet tank has a separate building and is attached as suspended, then reliable beams should be mounted for mounting it. It is best to use metal brackets that are fixed in concrete on an anchor or screws with dowels. The weight of the cast-iron or steel tank filled with 6 liters of water is quite large and requires reliable vertical fixation.
The supply pipe in the joints of the lower hole of the tank and the drain bowl must be sealing the rubber gasket and treat silicone or sealant.
The tank compact is installed directly on the toilet, it is also necessary to connect safely. For this, bolts are used, usually available. In places of connection it is necessary to put rubber gaskets. Drain hole coming out of the tank in the bowl, it is necessary to supply the cuff and lubricate it with a hermetic solution.
All tubes, applying and output hoses, corrugations must be tightened until it stops, providing reliable sealing. I will not yet check the tank setting strictly by horizontal level.
Properly installed toilet tank of any type can be operated for a long time. It is necessary to clean it regularly and from time to time to look under the cover, checking the integrity of the drain mechanism. In the case of the slightest leaks or violations of work, it is worth repairing.
About how to independently repair the toilet tank, look next.