The quality of the finish depends not only on the compliance with the technology of work, but also from correctly selected materials. How to choose a white primer under the wallpaper, this article will tell.
Today, white primer is presented in the market in two versions. The composition is produced in dry and diluted species.
- Dry makeup is a powder or granules. Before sticking wallpaper, it must be breeding with water in accordance with the instructions (on the package it is indicated by the product consumption per square meter).
- Diluted Option is sold in the form of an emulsion already cooked to use.
Divorced material differs in consistency:
- The advantage of the liquid mixture is that it penetrates the structure more deeply, strengthening the basis. Its costs are higher in comparison with a dense primer. It should be noted that due to the transparency of the composition of the beginners it will be difficult to achieve uniform application.
- The thick mixture falls on top of the base, performing a shelter function. It does not penetrate deep into, and forms a protective film. This property allows you to hide small defects and microcracks, improving leveling and adhesive abilities. In its formula, thick bases contain painting white pigment, thanks to which they hide dark spots.
Considering the requirements required for this type of finish, it is clear that no more thick formulations are suitable for this, as they:
- Make the surface perfectly smooth;
- perfectly serve to level color;
- evenly fall, guaranteeing everywhere the same clutch with a wallpaper blade.
For the finishing of premises, the following types of primers are most often used:
The choice of primer can affect the result of repair, so it should be sorted out exactly which option will be suitable for you.
It is based on styrene-alkylate dispersion and polymer binders. The material is rapidly drying. It comes to any types of wallpaper and has no unpleasant odor.
Depending on the physical properties, acrylic primer is divided into the following varieties:
- adhesion (reinforces the adhesion of the wallpaper canvas with the basis, suitable for smooth surfaces);
- with the effect of deep penetration (for porous and less durable surfaces);
- Universal (suitable for any type of surfaces, increases their moisture resistance, ideal for internal works);
- Special (develops for different types of materials, has different properties and is selected depending on the user’s goals);
- impregnating (for alignment of loose surfaces and smoothing minor flaws).
Distinctive properties of any acrylic primer:
- Reduces glue consumption;
- protects the surface from dampness;
- eliminates the emergence of mechanical damage;
- prolongs the life of the canvas, “otoming” repairs;
- divorced by water without losing their qualities.
In its properties, this soil is similar to paint. White-powered alkyd primer professionally falls both on concrete and on the surface of the tree, blocking the top layer. Thanks to the formation of a protective film, the surface receives one hundred percent protection against moisture in the building materials. Due to the fact that such a primer does not have a deep penetration effect, its price is inferior to other primer mixtures.
It is also necessary to consider that alkyd primers are not suitable for some species of smooth surfaces, as well as walls previously undergoing plastering.
If it is possible, it is recommended to use the soils of another type that will be able to protect the surface not only from moisture and drying, but also from mechanical damage, creating a reliable grip with a finishing material.
The composition of the latex primer is natural ingredients. Latex – a natural substance that is obtained from rubber juice. It is characterized by the ability to increase and preserve the elasticity and elasticity of materials, as well as resistance to their stretching compression, has hydrophobic properties (prevents moisture inhibition). Due to the high cost of natural raw materials, prices for latex primer is quite high.
Perfectly protecting the basis, latex soil for adhesion ability with decorative layer is inferior to acrylic. But if necessary, the strengthening of loose and crumbling surfaces or sticking wallpapers in a room with high humidity should pay attention to this type of base.
The name of this type speaks by itself. Such primer is ideal for any types of surfaces – ranging from smooth, ending with loose and destroyed. A distinctive characteristic is its ability to maintain properties while lowering and increasing temperatures. Even after the five-time process of freezing, the universal primer continues to cope with its mission.
Universal soil is created using acrylic polymers and the addition of resin polymers reinforcing effect. It penetrates deep into the wall structure, while forming a protective film on the surface. In this way, he strengthens the basis, protecting it from unwanted external factors without reducing adhesion abilities. Most often, such a soil is applied in 2 stages. It perfectly lies on the basics of gas and reinforced concrete, drywall and many other surfaces.
A distinctive feature of this primer is his small consumption.
Glue in the form of a primer
Some prefer to grab the walls before sticking with glue. For priming or choose PVA glue diluted with water, or treated with casein (bulk) glue. Many this option attracts a relatively low price, ease of preparation, naturalness and environmental friendliness. Consider the features of each option.
Printing wallpaper glue
There is a lot of “for” and “against” this type of wall preparation for finishing. If you still decided to use wallpaper glue as a base before sticking, it is better to choose it according to the type of wallpaper. To find out whether such a priming composition is suitable, you need to contact the package. In the instructions of some types of glue, recommendations on breeding and proportion are prescribed to the use of glue as a primer. Glue not suitable for these purposes is better not to use, as this can lead to sad consequences and repairs.
Some trademarks produce bulk glue with a color indicator that helps evenly apply the product to the entire surface. In order to prepare a mixture of glue, do not require special skills and skills. In addition to ease in breeding and applying, this method is also very economical.
It is important to understand that the wallpaper glue is unable to hide the visible flaws and make the surface perfectly even and smooth. With increased humidity of the room it is worth choosing compositions with antiseptic additives. Full protection against mold they do not promise, but the probability of its appearance is significantly reduced.
Printing glue plow
PVA glue is used as a primer since the USSR. This is a universal adhesive, deciphering as a polyvinyl acetate, applies to everyday life, creativity and construction sphere. Glue is a thick white suspension that becomes transparent after complete drying.
There are many types of plow glue, differing properties and appointment (construction, carpentry, furniture). Produced both universal product options and specialized. The composition of PVA glue includes mineral particles, thanks to which adhesive properties increase. It is added to construction concrete mixes and putty to increase strength.
For the preparation of the primer mixture, PVA glue is bred with water in proportion 1: 2. However, many experts do not recommend using glue as primer in this form. First, over time, the film made of frozen glue risks to detach along with decorative coating, causing you a lot of trouble. Secondly, over time, the composition acquires a yellow color, which can lead to translucent of it through the wallpaper. It can spoil the appearance of the finish.
Therefore, if we are not about quality, but about fast and budget repairs, this option can be considered. When using expensive materials and painstaking and tremendous achievement of an excellent result, this option should be postponed and acquired professional specialized funds.
Lifting under liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpapers are very popular. In their structure, they look like plaster, but have cellulose fibers and silk particles, so that they look so unusual. The finishing of such material is considered “jewelry” work, so preparing for application must be perfect.
For soil under liquid wallpaper, acrylic bases with a deep penetration effect are excellent. They are highly strengthened and fix the foundation, so that wallpaper serve for a long time.
How to choose
Let us summarize what criteria should be relying when choosing a primer under the wallpaper to obtain an excellent result.
- method of application;
- Drying time;
- Shelf life and date of manufacture.
Depending on the purpose:
- Antiseptic additives protect the surface from the appearance of mold and fungus;
- The primer of deep penetration fills microcracks and strengthens the surface, penetrating into the structure;
- Soil with a smoothing effect eliminates visible defects, making the surface perfectly smooth;
- Pigmented white soil is perfect for light wallpapers, as it is able to hide stains under them.
Sometimes, despite the observance of all recommendations, the result of repair is unsatisfactory.
The main reasons in such cases, as practice shows, the following points are:
- The mixture was not chosen correctly, taking into account the type of surface to apply;
- The ground is not suitable for the level of humidity of the room;
- Wallpaper turned out to be too dense.
Be attentive and patient, and you will always succeed.
About what is better to prinurate the walls before sticking wallpaper, look in the video below.