Concrete – demanded building material, with which you can build durable and reliable buildings. Some believe that this material is so too durable, so it does not need additional protection, but during drying in the concrete, pores are formed in which water falls. It negatively affects the surface of the material. To prevent this, experienced professionals are recommended to apply primer to the floor and walls from concrete.
To understand how the primer is important for surfaces from concrete, you need to know all its features. First of all, it serves to protect against mechanical and chemical influences.
Surface treatment is necessary due to the following factors:
- The structure of concrete is porous, which is why it absorbs moisture that destroys the material. The soil thoroughly clogs the pores, significantly reducing the absorption of the base. It prolongs the life of the construction.
- The surface of concrete is badly connected with some materials. Primer improves adhesion and increases coating strength.
- The top layer of cheap concrete is fragile, and the primer will strengthen it. Therefore, the material processing is required in rooms with high climatic or mechanical loads.
- Almost all formulations possess antiseptic properties. This prevents the appearance of fungus and mold on the surface.
The primer guarantees good sealing of walls and gender, keeps strength and improves performance properties. That is why it can be used not only before finishing the floor, but also as the finish coating.
Types and characteristics
Start construction work without priming or impregnation of concrete is not worth. Materials for these processes are made from binding polymer compositions, and their basis is water. Primers for concrete differ from each other with composition and characteristics. Allocate the following types:
- Polystyrene. In residential premises, this material is not recommended to use, since its composition has a solvent, which is a toxic substance. Such primer is used in industrial premises or for facades.
The advantages include the provision of high-quality concrete clutch with paints, as well as the fact that the primer is frost-resistant and waterproofing.
- Polyvinila acetate. Drying this material in just 40 minutes, after which PVA glue is applied to the surface. After these procedures, you can proceed to the finishing of walls or floor. Primer guarantees good adhesion.
- Based on epoxy resin. The best choice for bulk floors. Such primer prolongs the life of the main material. For residential buildings, it can be used only if there are no pets or houseplants, colors, since there is a caustic solvent as part of the primer.
- Alkyda. Excellent option for both internal and outdoor decoration. The disadvantage is that such a primer dries up approximately 17 hours.
- Acrylic under painting. Enjoy the greatest popularity. The primer is made of acrylic substances, due to which it does not have a sharp smell. It also protects the surface from the negative environmental impact, quickly absorbed, dries maximum in 5 hours. This is a safe material that allows you to save funds.
Please note that acrylic primer cannot be used for buildings facades.
- Soil enamel. Material that consists of paint and soil mixture. Can “boast” excellent characteristics and good adhesion.
- Grinding deep penetration. Used for concrete and foam concrete from different manufacturers, with different density. Perfectly proven itself when working with porous surfaces. Such primer penetrates 5-9 mm deep. The material contains latex particles. Finding inside, they are transformed into glue, which compacted the structure of concrete as much as possible.
The primer of deep penetration is an adhesive material for processing old concrete walls. It is also used to improve the strength of the aerated concrete when the structures are erected.
- Quartz sand mixture. Possesses good adhesion, makes the surface stronger.
Whatever type of primer you choose, remember that a mixture with an antiseptic is best suited for concrete, especially in a wet room.
How to choose?
The choice of primer is not as folded as it seems. The main attention must be paid to the material that was used to perform a draft floor. So, for example, for internal works on the walls or semi of concrete or a gas-block, choose an epoxy or acrylic type of material.
If priming is planned in buildings with high humidity and without heating, then prefer material with water-repellent substances in the composition.
Opaque materials are intended for painted surfaces. Buy tiles for laying a special soil. It is necessary so that it does not pull the water from the used glue solutions.
Priming is a mandatory stage of wall finishing before they are plastering. This step will provide a good clutch of materials. Also primer is a good antiseptic, preventing the appearance on the surface of fungus and mold.
Before priming, be sure to clean the surface from dust and contamination.
High-quality primer must have the following features:
- deep penetration;
- smooth application;
- the formation of a water-repellent film after applying material;
- reducing the cost of other materials;
- High level of waterproofing.
When choosing a primer, pay attention to the conditions of application. If work is carried out in the cold, it is appropriate to use polyurethane soil. If the sharp smell is unacceptable, then the best choice will be epoxy. Also do not forget about the level of vibration loads on the floor and the period for which the object should be delivered.
From the next video you can find out how to properly grind the walls.
Famous manufacturers and reviews
The modern market offers acrylic mixtures of deep penetration, which are suitable for processing any surfaces. Surchated is a mixture for concrete Ceresit. It is produced by the well-known company Henkel in the “Summer” and “Winter” options.
You can use such primer not only on the walls of concrete, but also for alignment of floors of floors.
It is also worth noting the primer “Optimist”, which received a huge number of positive feedback. It increases surface strength, is a good antiseptic.
- Ceresit CT 17 deep penetrates concrete, has excellent adhesive properties. Such primer can be safely applied under the wallpaper, plaster, panels. It forms a protective film, so it is recommended to use to process surfaces under the tile or cervings.
It is necessary to work with such material in rubber gloves, as it corps hands.
- “Optimist” – Composition from domestic manufacturer. The indisputable advantage of the primer is the ease of operation. It is also worth noting a quick drying speed. Durable, slightly glossy surface.
The disadvantage is a sharp smell.
- “Students” – Budget Material of Deep Penetration. Suitable for additional strengthening of concrete floor. Also improves the adhesion of the foundation.
- Knauf Tiefengrand – primer, which is suitable for any subsequent decoration of concrete.
Differs in economical flow.
- Vetonit – Manufacturer of powdered building mixtures. The company’s products are popular for the ideal ratio of high quality and affordable cost.
Choosing the material, be sure to study the instruction in which the scope of application and the required technical characteristics of the treated surfaces are indicated.
Tips for applying
The primer is applied to the walls with a roller or brush, as well as with a spray gun, sprayer or spray gun. So, if you plan to primitive a small space, then it is best to use a roller. For labor-intensive work, use a sprayer that will save not only time, but also forces.
Application of primer – not such a complex process, if you follow the instructions, as well as take into account the councils of specialists:
- Wall before applying primer must be cleaned of dust and dirt;
- If the primer fell to the floor or clothes, as soon as possible, wash the tracks or wipe them with a damp cloth;
- Work carefully: Ensure that there are no drows on the walls, and the mixtures were not formed on the floor;
- put on work clothes, not forgetting about glasses and gloves.
Watch the primer evenly lay onto a concrete surface. Before proceeding to subsequent work, make sure that the primer is completely dried. If the base is falling, then repeat the procedure.
The use of primer provides a better finish and a durable result. The main thing is to choose the material correctly, given the following work and operating conditions. Do not forget that it is better to overpay, but get a quality result. Before choosing, carefully examine the range of several well-known manufacturers.