Decorative crafts, decorations, dishes, wall decoration and sex from transparent plastic can be found everywhere. Sometimes we even confuse it with a real glass, although it is plexiglas, without which it is difficult to imagine the modern world. It is worth learn more about this wonderful material that is so in demand in all spheres of our life.
What it is?
Plexiglass is often called plexiglass, and its base composition, indeed, coincides with the composition of this material. However, brand manufacturers have developed special auxiliary components, thanks to which popular plastic acquired a set of beneficial properties that make it in demand, widely applied product.
The distinctive characteristics of the product are due to its physical properties:
- immunity to the action of sunlight, no changes in color and yellowing;
- Strength is higher than that of quartz glass;
- high traffic and ability to save heat due to low thermal conductivity;
- resistance to microorganisms, aggressive chemistry, large amplitude of temperatures, moisture;
- Easiness compared to conventional glass with a minimum layer of 1 mm (weight of 1 kV. m is only 1.2 kg);
- When combustion, the product from the plexiglas does not distinguish harmful evaporation, the material does not form a dangerous sharp fragments during damage;
- The polymer is easy to cut and give it any necessary shape;
- The material is hygienic, does not require complex care, due to the fact that its surface is smooth, and dirt and dust particles do not accumulate on it.
At the same time, this excellent synthetic material has several disadvantages: products from it are subject to external damage, and also lightly light up.
What is part of?
Plexiglass is an environmentally friendly polymethyl methacrylate product. Another name is acrylic, and they are attributed to the type of artificial organic plastics. The basis of the material is thermoplastic acrylic resins, more precisely, one or more derivatives of carbon monoxide acid. These are components that are well transmitting light.
Chemical formula acrylic is the same as the plexiglas – (C5O2H8) N, But in addition, it includes many additives that give the structure of thermoplastic. Special properties, such as hardness, flexibility, resistance to mechanical loads and damage, as well as pigments necessary to obtain a specific color.
Currently there are two varieties of material.
- PLEXIGLAS XT – This product is manufactured using an extruder. Under pressure of methyl methacrylate passes through the formulating tool of equipment, and products are obtained from the melt in the form of one-piece panels with a thickness of no more than 25 mm, as well as rods, rounded profiles, wavy and reflective surface sheets. Such plastic has increased elasticity and flexibility, it is easier to transform into different forms, but at high temperatures it gives a small shrinkage, and his strength leaves much to be desired.
- Cast acrylic glass is considered more durable Plexiglas GS, obtained by polymerization at the stage of formation of the billet from acrylic under the influence of the activator. During this chemical process, the glass molecule is built into the durable long chains, and thus the maximum strength of the product is achieved. Its common forms – pipes, blocks with different thickness, monolithic sheets, distinguished by stability to deformation, aggressive environments. But the flexibility indicators of this species are much lower than that of the extrusion option.
In general, the acrylic glass has increased impact strength, 5 times superior to this parameter for ordinary glass.
Color manifold, texture and gloss – this is the main feature of organic glass, which opens up ample opportunities for its use.
- The color palette of the material is not just huge – It is infinite, because the number of shades of any tone in different degrees of intensity is boundlessly. However, the color is richer and deeper, the less transparent glass becomes. Various options for such products is appropriate to pick up for tabletops, kitchen and guest headrooms, for individual bathroom attributes or shower.
- Surface treatment also gives different effect, And depending on the plan, you can choose a variety of products.
- With matte, satin surface, smooth, but with muted glitter. They are suitable for registration in Scandinavian or minimalistic style.
- Shiny, glossy panels, which look bright and satisfy the space shine.
- From details with applying a mirror coating Silver or gold colors are excellent reflective surfaces that are not inferior to genuine mirrors.
- By polishing, engraving and other surface treatment methods can be achieved unusual, beautiful texture of plastic sheets, but the most suitable material for this is a colorless plexiglass, which is able to skip the light, but at the same time it is impossible to see anything.
In short, the use of acrylic glass is limited to our fantasy, since the material has inexhaustible capabilities.
Comparison with other materials
Most often plexiglas compare with plexiglass. What’s the difference? In fact, the choice is made between the same products that have an organic basis, however there are different types of this material, and their parameters have significant differences.
Basically, discrepancies in the properties of the material are associated with the methods of its manufacture. Products created by extrusion are less strength than with injection molding method. But do not forget that there are other varieties with their specific features.
- Material shine It has a brilliant surface, and it can be polished. And also it has high performance indicators.
- Cell Plexiglass Plexiglas SDP – Two-layer. It is used for exterior decoration due to high impact resistance and immunity to external influences.
- Most plastics are vulnerable to damage, But acryl satinglass not subject to the appearance of scratches.
- There are materials different smooth, velvety texture, The presence of a fluorescent effect and metal gloss.
It is not about the differences, but about the purpose of choice and compliance with the specific material. As before comparing the plexiglas with ordinary glass from quartz, then it is impossible to talk about what products are better and what worse. Crystal clearly familiar glass is resistant to ultraviolet, is a hermetic and strong material. However, even with such a minus, as fragility, replace it with an acrylic or something else can not always.
In turn, The polymer is not beating, leaving fragments, but it is also not devoid of flaws. Some of its types are destroyed under the influence of the Sun, Cleaning Household Tools, are able to melted. On the other hand, despite all the advantages of quartz products, Acrylic gradually occupies a leading position, and, of course, it is associated with its flexibility, durability, durability, ease of processing and low cost.
Scope of application
Glazing is not the only use of a material that is transparent and color, has the necessary characteristics. Plexiglass can be used:
- to create advertising shields, exhibition exhibits, decorative decoration of residential and public premises;
- A variety of paints and high performance can be used to make items of home furniture, attributes needed in retail institutions and cafes;
- Acrylic plastic sheet is often used to obtain facing parts of buildings facades;
- The synthetic glass is performed a variety of household and decorative containers, ecosystems for growing plants and fish content, highlighted floors, roofs, plaffones for lighting devices, baths;
- Plexiglas is relevant for the manufacture of jewelry – from it it turns out a shameful amber, almost indistinguishable from the present;
- In the field of ophthalmology, the product is used to create lenses replacing the crystal of the eye when it is clouded, in dentistry – for the manufacture of seals and implants.
Elements of decoration of these products are obtained volumetric and bright, can be decorated with engraving, gilding and silver due to the ease of processing. In the interior, plexiglass materials are used to build original interroom and zonal partitions and commonens, of which spectacular shelves and racks, door and wall stained glass windows and panels are created, internal stairs. No less attractive transparent interior accessories, their applications – Facade decorations, glazing of furniture, design shop windows, floor coverings.
Billets from acrylic injection mold and extrusion acrylic of various sizes like to use designers in their bold experiments to create an extraordinary style in apartments and private houses. Plastic products Help non-standard design windows, create interesting mosaics in the kitchen space and bathroom, apply plexiglass for the manufacture of tabletops made of painted materials with a textured surface. Cast plastic glass allows you to decorate residential buildings and urban buildings, create a spectacular home interior and make it unique.
Many subjects we use daily or admire them, created from this amazing artificial material.
About how quickly and carefully cut the plexiglas, look in the following video.