The modern building market “rich” with a variety of materials and compositions used to carry out repair work. Some of the most sought-after species are plaster and putty, which are widely used for wall decoration.
Many people mistakenly believe that these building materials are no different from each other. Therefore, in order to understand the difference between the compositions, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the peculiarities and properties of each option.
To begin with, it is worth saying that the plaster is used to eliminate cracks and various defects. After its application, a solid and durable layer is formed. Stucco can be used to align not only walls, but also ceilings. With the help of such a building mixture, you can quickly and efficiently get rid of drops on the surface.
Often, plaster is applied only in one layer, which is several centimeters. This is quite enough to eliminate irregularities and get rid of cracks. Based on the plaster mixture there are large granules. On the size of these components directly depends on how durable and thick will be applied layer.
To create simple plaster, such components are used:
One part of the cement will be quite enough for three parts of the sand base. It is worth noting that it is quite difficult to knead such a mixture, especially if you are engaged in repair work for the first time.
Most often Stucco applies to process large surfaces. This option costs somewhat cheaper than the gypsum mixture. It is worth noting that this composition is easier to apply on the surface. In addition, the gypsum mixture is well alignment, which simplifies the repair process.
To understand what the putty is different from plaster, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the main properties of the material. This composition is most often used to eliminate small defects on the surface. Unlike plaster, put the surface with a thin layer, since the basis does not contain large granules.
The fine mixture is applied both on the wall and on the ceiling. The composition is well aligned, which is performed with a spatula. In addition, manufacturers of this material offer customers a rather wide range of mixtures:
- The first option is a cement species. Plasticizers are added to the main components of putty. The difference from the plaster is the presence of small granules. A feature of cement putty is a high level of moisture resistance. Often this option is used as an finishing coating after wall processing.
- By the name of the gypsum putty, it can be understood that its main component is gypsum. But many people wonder about what this option is different from plaster. The composition is based on small grinding gypsum. This material performs the function not only filler, but also a binder. The main disadvantage of gypsum putty is that it cannot be used in rooms with high humidity. In such conditions, the coating cracks and deform. Therefore, such a putty is used exclusively for interior decoration.
- No less demanded in the construction market is an acrylic mixture. The composition of the material is rich in resins, ensuring the presence of a glossy shade of the surface after the end of work. Often, the chalk and water base are used as additional components.
- Less frequently for repair work applies adhesive putty. The material is based on natural oil. In addition, up to 10% of the adhesive component add to 10%.
Areas of use
Putclone and plaster are used to level surfaces. But the second option is most often used to close the powerful damage. These can be cracks, strong drops on the wall or ceiling. It is determined by the fact that large granules ensure the reliability of the layer fastening when applied.
Another distinctive feature of the plaster is the absence of shrinkage. But many Specialists argue that the thickness of the layer should not exceed a mark of 30 mm, otherwise reinforcement is required. It is worth understanding that due to its structure, plaster can eliminate serious defects. But it is impossible to provide a perfectly smooth surface using this composition.
As for the putty, it contains smaller components, as mentioned above. Due to this, the composition will provide a smooth surface at the end of the preparatory process.
After handling putty, the wall is fully ready for further manipulations – decorating and salary by wallpaper.
The peculiarity of this material is that it can be used to eliminate small defects on the surface. If the putty is to apply a thin layer and comply with the right work technology, the composition will well hold a fairly long period.
If a layer is too thick, a shrinkage of material may occur in the future.
Often, when performing repair work, plaster and putty combine. The first option is used for initial alignment of surfaces, the second – as finishing.
Work with compositions
The difference between the materials is not only in the main components and the final result, but also in the methods of application. Basically, the work method depends on the type of filler used, since it is this component that determines the nature of the fastening of the mixture with the surface.
To work with the cement-type plaster, a special blade is used. Applying the pump method, you can provide the maximum clutch of the material with the treated wall.
Special attention during operation it is necessary to pay sufficient moisters.
The surface periodically needs to be treated with water or in the reverse case, the plaster badly fixes on the wall.
Finishing internal surfaces is performed by one step. As for external work, before plastering the wall, you first need to make moisturizing and on top of apply primer. Obligatory stage is covered.
At the end, handling with a putty or decorative plaster. In this case, the choice depends on your preferences and, of course, the type of surface.
As for putty, this composition is best to apply with a special spatula. To fence the mixture, a narrow tool is used, after which it is transferred to the inventory with a narrow base. Next, the mixture is blurred over the surface.
Putty, especially gypsum, you need to distribute on a thin layer wall. In this case, the material is not deformed and does not succumb.
How to choose?
Choosing a putty and plaster for the preparation of walls in the room, it is worth paying attention to several important points:
- Buying the first option, first you need to determine the repair location. If you plan to prepare the already plastered facade, it is best to give preference to the mixture for external work. There is also a special thermal insulation putty, which is ideal for embedding small cracks.
- If you plan to align the walls in the bathroom, it is best to give preference to starting mixture. Such putty are used for internal works. The advantage is that the surfaces do not need finish alignment.
- When preparing walls in residential premises for further staining, it is worth a preference to gypsum putty. A good choice will be a polymer composition, characterized by high operational qualities. If the surfaces do not have strong drops, you can use the finish option.
- In case the putty is used for decorative trim, it is better to apply the usual texture putty.
- As for the choice of plaster, everything also depends on the type of surface and repair technology. For example, a conventional mortar from cement and sand is used in the rough surfaces of the surface finishing. The composition is used to eliminate serious defects.
- Regarding plaster plaster It should be said that it is best to apply after the treatment of walls by cement-sandy solution. The mixture will help get rid of small defects.
- Decorative plaster today is often used as an alternative option to wallpaper. Material is presented in a wide color assortment. Separate views are decorative compositions used for facade works.
If you first do repair with your own hands and have not previously worked with plaster or putty, you need to pay attention to several important nuances:
- For example, under the preparation of the surface of aerated concrete, a prerequisite for the walls of the wall. Composition can be used as finishing. But shuttering for this surface is not always required, as it is characterized by even.
- Working with compositions, it is not worth breeding immediately a large amount of solution. In the reverse case, putty or plaster will begin drying, which will complicate the process of wall training significantly.
- Before starting work, you need to carefully examine the surface. If there are serious differences and damage on the wall, it is necessary to use plaster.
- Previously calculate the alleged layer thickness. If the material layer exceeds the mark of 5 cm, it is necessary to align the concrete walls by plaster. Treatment with putty make on the final stages to give smoothness and maximum evenness.
To no doubt make a decision – to put or plaster, see the following video.