Welding is a qualitative and therefore the common type of surface connection, but its use is not always possible. Alternatively, you can use rivets that are presented in many species and are made from various materials. Consider in more detail what rivets are and how to choose them.
What it is?
Rivets are fasteners that use two or more surfaces if necessary. These devices are inserted into the openings of the workpiece that were formed in advance in the form of a line. The fastener has a view of the rod that during deformation is able to embrace the walls of the holes and keep them with the help of friction force.
According to consumers, Rivets are reliable attachment methods that are used for many years. Currently, they also enjoy great demand, in particular in those places where fasteners should be made as responsible as possible.
With the correct selection of this device, you can expect that it can withstand the load similar to the welding.
The advantages of using this type of compounds are as follows:
- simplicity of design;
- the possibility of connecting materials of different types;
- Countering the loads of vibration and shock.
The negative parties of such fasteners can be called the following:
- the need for labor and material costs;
- the possibility of destruction of the compound with the improper selection of the diameter of the hole;
- Reducing the quality of tightness on the passage of a certain period of time.
Rivest is the procedure for connecting parts by forming a rivet riveting. In this case, the connection is called a riveted seam. Depending on the hardware, the wizard can carry out hot and cold riveting. The first implies the use of a plastic material, but the second is usually based on the use of solid steel.
Rivet is considered to be the type of compound that is characterized by greater reliability than screws and screws. As well as This device takes the minimum space of space and after use almost imperceptibly. Rivets have low weight and are usually used in the case when the disconnection of surfaces is not planned. Most often, the riveting is used where welding for any reason is impossible or need to connect the unbalanced surfaces.
Klight can not only metals, but also fabric products, all kinds of accessories. And also consumers say that screw, bolt and nut can loosen over time, which you can’t tell about the rivet. It has a property tightly imprisoned and even during metal damage does not come back.
Rivets can not only be combined, deaf and hermetic, but also made of concrete material. Technological features of these devices can have different features that each manufacturer has their own. On the market, there are periodically new species, for example, a semi-empty, so the consumer will be able to choose scoring, hollow, explosive, with countersunk head, colored and black, traction rivets. As well as a wide range of fasteners allows you to choose the appropriate option for metal, a professional sheet, profiled steel flooring.
Currently, the masters use such rivets such as:
- reinforced – These fasteners are used to connect materials with a high bubbling of the fortress, as a result of using these products, it is possible to obtain a very reliable connection; This type of rivet found its place in mechanical engineering, aviation;
- petoles – such fasteners are connected by plastic materials, such as wood slabs, chipboard, plastic;
- Specific – used when installing delicate and soft material;
- stainless steel – stainless elements are considered reliable and are not corrosion over a long period of time;
- Spanners rivets do not need to preliminarily form holes in the blanks; They found their use in furniture structure and construction;
- Multishagus have direct similarities with exhaust, but their use is considered particularly relevant if necessary to connect the materials of large thickness;
- Plastic – polyamide fasteners are characterized by a rather high level of reliability, it practically does not have differences from the screw, but at the same time they have good moisture resistance, they are not corrosion and do not conduct electricity; Usually plastic fasteners are used when working with plastic, cardboard and fiberglass;
- Terminal fixtures create a contact compound for power grids; They are made from such materials that are easily conducted by electric current;
- Cassette relate to the independent type of rivets, they are attached, like exhaust.
One of the first rivets are considered ordinary, they are characterized by a mushroom form. This type of device has a rod with a wide hat. Rivets of this species are quite reliable, but at the same time are characterized by complex installation. The use of this fastener is relevant in the case when you need to connect two surfaces by fixing through riveting.
After completing the work on one side, a fungus can be seen, and on the opposite – millimeter rod.
Exhaust with tail
The use of exhaust devices is in demand when connecting two metal sheets. These fasteners elements contribute to the reliability of fixation, even if the master has access only to one side. In order to work with exhaust rivets, the use of a pneumatic or mechanical pistol is required, and you can also use a special nozzle on a screwdriver.
Exhaust type of fixtures has a long rod of metal, at the end of which there is a tubular aluminum sleeve. It is also possible to use other soft material in the manufacture of these goods. Pulling the steel rod, the master can detect the deformation of the sleeve rod, the cause of this situation is the presence of a small hat, which prevents the output.
The popularity of exhaust rivets is caused by the ease of installation, as well as the cheap equipment. This fastener is appreciated for the possibility of connecting thick and thin parts, even with a low height of the sleeve relative to the thickness of the blanks. The workpiece is worth inserting and after that tighten the tail. As a result of data manipulations, you can get a full-fledged reliable connection.Exhaust hardware are two species.
- Open – These are standard devices that have through hole in the body. They are pretty similar to hollow goods. They are used in the case when the installation does not impose high requirements for reliability and strength. Such products refer to the most popular goods in the market.
- Closed used in the case when fasteners should be maximally sealed. Such rivets prevent moisture penetration, dust and garbage inside fasteners.
Threaded rivets refer to the most expensive. This fastener has a kind of hollow sleeve with chopped thread. The sleeve is inserted into the prepared hole and spin the rod. Typically, these fixtures are made of aluminum, but there are products from copper and brass. For high quality connections, it is worth not to break the directions of stretching. Work should be carried out with a special pistol, but, as an option, you can use a bolt and nut. This type of rivets is characterized by minimal trauma. Often the threaded type of rivets is used during the mechanical engineering process, as well as during the manufacture of the case of electrical equipment.
According to the structural features, this hardware is divided into many varieties. For example, the spacer is well bonded soft and loose surfaces. The multiple product is necessary, by the way, when working with details of different thicknesses. At the same time, the formation of a universal node.
Typically, the rivet material should be the same as the billet, thus, the possibility of corrosion is reduced. Materials from which these metallic devices are usually made are as follows:
- steel – The metal can be used in several varieties, namely: the usual is the stamps of St2, Art 3, Art 10; corrosion-resistant – x18n9t and galvanized; Steel fasteners are used in cases where high fasteners are required;
- Copper in the form of MT and MW – copper are often used for mounting copper roofs and sheets of this metal;
- Aluminium alloy – data rivets are characteristic of plasticity and low weight; They are often used in mechanical engineering, aircraft construction, manufacture of machinery and computers;
- Brass L63 – brass rivets have a rather attractive and neat look; They look good during the decoration of the interior, premises and even transport, including sea;
- aluminum and magnesium;
- Plastic – This type of rivets is made of polyamide, so products are characterized by strength and long service life.
During the combination of products from copper, you can use brass and copper rivets. Steel sheets connect exclusively with steel devices. You can often find fasteners, which consists of alloy aluminum and steel.
Galvanized rivets are a suitable option for installation on the facade, a slope, lowweight, metal tile, straw. Usually they are painted in detail.
Diameter and length
Rivets sizes should be selected according to the thickness of the materials that will be connected. At the same time, the most important parameters are the length and diameter of the rod. According to the diameter of the drill, the master is determined with the drill that it will take it to work. The diameter of the rivet rod can be from 1 to 36 millimeters.
The length of the rivet material is from 2 to 180 millimeters. It should be remembered that the big diameter does not always indicate good connection reliability. The form of hardware can be diverse, for example, round, hex, cylindrical.
Tips for choosing
Since the market presents a wide range of fasteners, the consumer is not always easy to choose the perfect option for itself. Sometimes masters have questions how to choose rivets over the thickness of the fastenable material, to give preference to the hollow, with a semicircular head or decorative goods. In order to make the right choice, it is worth considering 3 main parameters: length, diameter and product manufacturing material.
Initially, attention should be paid to the material from which rivets are made. For example, aluminum cannot be used with those materials that are subject to corrosion. If you need to fix the shield grounding or any other conductive subject, then in this case it is worth buying brass products.
The second is a very important indicator for rivets – these are their length. Fixation of too short element will not give good strength and reliability of the connection. And the big length of the rod will entail the inaccuracy of the surfaces of the surfaces. An ideal purchase will be a rivet, which in length exceeds the totality of surfaces by 20 percent.
Do not go around the attention and diameter of rivets and holes, which is done for mounting. With a significant difference in indicators, a bad fill density will be obtained and the minimum friction indicator. With such an unreliable fastener, rivets are pulled even at low load. The durability of the use of hardware has the impact of the use environment, as well as the correctness of the selection.
In food and chemical enterprises, where equipment is exposed to high load, it is better to use a stainless steel.
In order to set rivets, you will need to perform several stages.
- The first thing with the help of the tool form a hole in which the terminal will be inserted. The calculation of the values of the opening is carried out with the fact that it should 10-15 percent exceed the volume of the rod.
- Hardware must be immersed in the hole so that the head visible on the back of the structure. Installation of threaded elements can be carried out by a manual riveter. Specific and explosive varieties of products are fixed using an electric or piston tool.
The main areas of use of rivets are mechanical engineering, shipbuilding, construction of buildings, ventilated types of facade, formation of playgrounds, as well as decorative fasteners. When fastening heavy items, this type of methiza is not used. Experts recommend buying flexible and at the same time strong products, such as carbon steel, aluminum or copper.
Despite the fact that the process of fixing rivets is quite time-consuming, it is still one of the most popular. According to experts, in the coming decades, the wizard will not refuse to use data of hardware.
In the next video you will find the manufacture of rivets with your own hands from colored materials.