Nowadays, many owners of private houses and apartments face the problem of uneven walls. Such defects in the corners are especially noticeable. Because of this room may look less attractive, and put the furniture will be quite problematic. In many cases, plastering is used for wall alignment. Apply it on such grounds is the most convenient with the use of such elements like lighthouses. Consider more details of this process.
In most cases, before applying paint, blending wallpaper or laying wall tiles, it is necessary to correctly align, otherwise the lining will simply be sure to hold on to its place. Many home and professional masters for solving this problem are resorted to the use of high-quality plaster mixtures. Apply them on uneven or cracked walls is recommended using special lighthouses.
To begin with, they will answer the main question – as well as plaster beacons. These elements are treated in cases where you need to make walls smooth or hide cracks on them. Based on the position of beacons, the builder inflicts plaster to the base, thus aligning any irregularities and differences.
Most often, lighthouses are installed along the entire lengths requiring shuttering of walls. For this reason, fasteners, located at the two ends, it would be too small for dense adjacent to the base. This feature explains the fact that plaster beacons are fixed at once at several points.
It is necessary to take into account that installing beacons on the walls with large cracks follows only after identifying the main reason for the appearance of such defects. The source of the destruction of the floors must be eliminated. In some cases, you have to contact reinforcement.
Too large depressions and technological holes on the walls before installing lighthouses you need to pre-close. As a rule, for this, the same building mixtures are used, which will continue to be used and to plastering grounds.
Plaster beacons are made from different materials. They can also differ in size, length and form. Due to such a wealthy choice, it will be possible to choose suitable elements to any wall overlaps and their individual sites. In addition, all the works of the hosts can perform with their own hands, saving funds on access to specialists.
But do not think that lighthouses are used only when finishing the walls. These details can also be accessed in cases where you make planes such as floor, ceiling or slopes. In all cases, the beacons will be very useful and convenient components that will allow putting the layer of plaster quickly and even.
Few people know, but beacons are not only factory production.
Some home masters make them independently. Most often wooden bars protrude as such lighthouses (they are particularly relevant in cases with wooden buildings). Such parts are attached to the walls with the samples, so that the plastering process becomes easier and faster.
More experienced repairmen often appeal to laying beacons from plaster. To do this, self masses are fixed in the right areas. Their caps play the role of a kind of level, in which the solution is subsequent.
As mentioned above, today, when applying plaster on overlappings, different types of beacons are used. Each type of these landmarks has its own characteristics that need to be considered before starting work. Consider in detail what the distinctive features of different types of plaster beacons.
To begin with, consider what properties have beacons made from different materials.
Iron beacons are among the most common and in demand. Modern manufacturers make them in the form of perforated sites with a strong rounded top. As a rule, these designs are covered with zinc, therefore, being under the plaster, do not corrosion. Installing such types of beacons is made using fasteners and quickly frozen gypsum mixtures.
Let’s focus on the main advantages of iron beacons.
- Many owners turn to such elements, as they have a low cost.
- Iron beacons are found in many construction stores – they do not have to search throughout the city.
- Work with similar elements is very simple. The main thing, adhere to the instructions.
However, modern galvanized beacons made from iron, there are also its drawbacks.
- The most common disadvantage of such products is the deformation of geometry. This problem may occur in violation of certain standards during production, and when improper transportation or storage. For this reason, before buying lighthouses, it is important to carefully examine for damage or deformities.
- In some cases, after all work on the walls, ugly rusty strips are manifested. Such problems appear, as zinc, present on the iron surface, begins to collapse and oxidize. In order not to encounter such minuses, the beacons advise to clean immediately after the floor decoration.
- Another minus such details is that they are characterized by high flexibility. Because of this, in the course of their installation, you need to create conditions for guaranteeing the rigidity of the guides, for example, to make the surface of the surface under the beams.
Steel varieties of plaster guides are reusable. Most often, their experienced masters are used. You can use such elements many times, thereby recovering the costs made on their purchase.
The main advantages of steel guides.
- Such a light profile is characterized by excellent strength characteristics.
- Steel guides are very rigid, so it is permissible to install them, not experiencing for possible deformation. For this reason, such elements are required only in certain places.
- Use these guides can be several times.
There are no serious minuses from steel beacons, however, there are “weaknesses”.
- They are expensive (more expensive than simple metal copies).
- They can be broken or spoil if removed after complete drying of the plaster composition.
The second most popular is beams of plastic.
They are similar to metallic options in many characteristics, but they have a number of distinctive features.
- They are produced from reliable and high-strength plastic.
- For their installation, no experience or special knowledge is required. All work takes place easily and trouble-free.
- Such elements retain the pristine geometry. After small deformations, plastic beacons are returned to the same type. For this reason, there is no reason to worry about the fact that over time they will “lead”.
- Plastic is a material that is not subject to oxidation and the appearance of rust. On the walls with similar plastic beacons, rusty stripes and stains will not appear.
Unfortunately, plastic beacons have a number of minuses. Consider them.
- To such details should not be contacted if you are exterior. This is explained by the fact that in conditions of low temperatures, plastic sometimes breaks.
- The material from which such beacons is produced is not designed for impressive external loads, for example, strikes. Under their action, they will just break.
- If you incorrectly mount the guides from the plastic, then they can progress when pressed by the rule, which will provoke the deformation of the trimmed base.
- Note that plastic guides made from cheap and toxic material can leave dark spots on the trimmed surface, if you do not remove them upon completion of all works. Get rid of such defects on finishing it is impossible.
Lighthouses differ from each other not only by materials. Consider what other guides to plastering grounds.
As mentioned earlier, plaster beacons are not only factory production, but also self-made. They cost masters cheaply, and their creation can not be called too complicated. For independent production of beacons, people usually use a metal corner or pipe. Of course, it is permissible to apply to other suitable items having a similar structure. For example, it can be wooden slats. However, they are not so often accepted due to their exposure to deformation.
It should be noted that when using home-made grounds, the consumption of plastering is usually increasing. As a result, the costs of finishing work also increase. There is another popular version of homemade lighthouses – metal profile for drywall. Stand these landmarks are cheaper than all. Are suitable for cases when it is required to put a thick layer of plaster.
There are also special string lighthouses.
They cost cheaply, and make them so.
- First prepare selflessness, perforator and wire.
- Then, with the help of the perforator, the holes are drilled in which the dowels will be inserted.
- In the dowelle you need to screw the screws. They should be placed on the same level. Next you need to pull the wire.
- Under the wire to apply the plaster mixture so that the layer surface is slightly above the string.
- When the plaster solution lights up slightly, the upper layer must be cut off. So it will be a reference point for which it will be necessary to align.
The main advantage of the Strings Lighthouse is its low cost. The wire is cheap, and the screws are available at home almost every wizard. In addition, similar types of lighthouses are not exposed to deformation, such as metal or plastic.
As for minuses, they include the following.
- Masters often infirm with self-tapping screws. Because of this, the mortar surface can be twisted.
- Curvating can occur in the event that the upper plaster layer was incorrectly removed, relying on the wire level.
Lighthouses for plaster can have different dimensional parameters. So, the most common are guides with dimensions of 6 mm x3 m. Such elements are most often used when laying a plaster layer at 6 – 10 mm.
There are also beacons with dimensions of 10 mm x 3 m. If you use the items in which there is such a width and height, you can lay a layer of more than 1 cm.
How to make yourself?
Today, many home masters turn to the use of homemade plaster beacons. Make them in different ways. Consider some of the most common options.
So, to create a long beacon, which is suitable for walls, and for the floor, and for the ceiling, you need to stockday level or perfectly level profile, rail. Recommended for such works to enlist the assistant. Then one person will keep the rail on which the level stands, and the second person will be responsible for laying the solution on the length of the rail. Also for organizing this lighthouse it is recommended to add asbestos or alabaster to the plaster. This is due to the fact that the dense layer of the mixture will dry out a little longer than the usual.
First, it will be necessary to put the solution in terms of the entire plane of the base, mark the last point and work, starting with the first. Put the rail and put the mixture under it.
Short homemade beacons are manufactured by the same principle. However, it is necessary to make them 30 – 50 cm and installed in a checker. As a rule, such elements appeal when it is necessary that the meter and half-meter rule is enough for the entire gap between the beacons.
You can also independently put lighthouses with the help of hats of self-tapping. So, on the battered and the verified level of the line are installed fasteners. Based on the location of their caps, apply plaster. To do this, use a spatula or wooden bar, which presses the solution to fasteners. Similar view of lighthouses do not need to be removed after all works.
With your own hands you can make string lighthouses. To do this, install several screws and skip the wire between them.
Subtleties of mounting
Before fixing the lighthouses under the shturku, it is necessary to place the foundation. In this case, you can rely on various techniques.
Consider in more detail the easiest way to mark the overlap for the installation of the guides.
- First, make an indent from an angle of 30 cm (15 cm from the floor and the ceiling).
- Spend a vertical strip, check it with a level, and then repeat this operation, but from the opposite side.
- Now it is necessary to measure the gap between the printed lines and divide it by 1.5 m. The resulting number will indicate the required number of light air guides. The elements should be cut so that they become shorter than the ceiling height level by 30 cm.
- At the points of the lines from below and on top it is necessary to drill holes to install dowels.
- Now it is necessary to draw all the wall overlap with lines, withstanding a step in 1.5 m.
- Screw the screws in the velocked holes. Stretch between the hats two threads. In areas where the rope intersects (as well as inflicted lines), you also need to do holes and insert the dowels with self-draws in them.
- Now focus the level of fasteners. To do this, it is necessary to fold the values of the overlap, the beacon thickness parameter and leave a small supply (approximately 0.5 cm). The resulting result will indicate how fastening should retreat from overlapping.
- Turning the screws, you need to pull the threads on the diagonal and lead the beacons under this plane. Make sure that the guides are only slightly touched the thread.
After marking the base, you can move to the direct installation of beacon guides.
To begin with, consider how to do it with a solution or glue.
- First prepare the solution. For this, be sure to use the instructions – it should be on the box. If you want to separate the walls with cement or limestone, which is fixed for a very long time, then they should not be mixed with plaster or alabaster.
- Apply the finished composition on the wall in small portions. It is necessary to lay it every 15-20 cm, leaning on the placed lines.
- Now the profile must be applied to the layer of composition and press to the base. When using the simplest marking of the lighthouse, it is necessary to put it in such a way that it stood in a level with self-draws.
- Check out the correspondence of the location of all parts using the level.
- Remove the excess solution and proceed to fix the following parts.
Installation on the fasteners occurs a little different.
- For fastening of beacons, use details called “Eashastik” or clips. In this case, for mounting, the guides put on the hats of self-tapping screws, pre-operated in the prepared holes (in 30 cm increments).
- Next, the beacon is attached and the retainer is installed on the desired location.
This method choose many masters, as it is simple and fast. However, it is necessary to consider that at the same time the thickness of the plastering will be a little more – by 0.5 cm. This will affect the final amount of work.
Most home masters who decided to independently shook the walls in their home, respond to the use of beacons positively. In their opinion, the use of such parts greatly simplifies the conduct of finishing works, and also allows you to abandon the costly services of experienced repairmen.
Confuses many people that metal lighthouses can over time to leave rusty stripes on the walls, which will spoil the whole finish. With such a problem, the hosts rarely face, but the probability of the occurrence of this defect still remains.
According to homeowners, long lighthouses are not very convenient to transport. This is especially true of flexible parts that are easily damaged by inaccurate circulation.
As for the immediate work on the installation of lighthouses, then the lion’s share of home masters does not see any problems. The main thing is to be careful and always use the level – then the base will not be curves and inesthetical.
- If you are looking for beacons for external finishing works, it is better to use thicker and strong details, as the external walls require the use of materials in large volumes.
- For galvanized and plastic guides in stores Special fasteners are sold. When using them, lighthouses hold much more reliable and stronger.
- Before buying, be sure to inspect every beacon holder. All items should be in perfect condition – without bending and any damage. The use of low-quality parts in the end will lead to an ugly and curved surface of the base.
- When making angular sites, it is recommended to use convenient V-shaped lighthouses. T-shaped elements can act as intermediate components.
- Do not forget that the lighthouse will be held on the basis of the most firmly and reliably only if you secure it at several points, and not just on top and bottom.
- If you work using cheap homemade lighthouses, then you should consider that then the consumption of plaster will increase significantly. This is due to the fact that the alignment of the foundation with such guides is made using more solution.
- When installing the first two lighthouses are recommended to be installed on both edges of the wall overlap, and only then move to the fixation of the remaining parts. Do not forget that between them should be the same distance.
- If there are too large and noticeable protrusions on the walls (semi or ceiling), they will be easier to remove, rather than align. Otherwise, you risk spending a lot of money for a large number of plastering mixtures, and carrying out such works can be too complicated for a home master.
- If you are afraid to face the deformation of beacon elements, it is worth contacting string. These details are not subject to deformation.
- It is important to remember that the distance between individual beacons should be 15 – 20 cm less than the length of the rule that pulls the plaster layer. If you finish the wall by plaster for the first time, then this value should not be more than 0.5 – 1 m. Otherwise, it will be quite difficult for you to cope with the impressive surface area.
- Many masters are asked if it is necessary to remove beacons upon completion of finishing works. If we are talking about metal versions, it is possible to leave them on the finished surface only if they are characterized by excellent quality. Low-quality metal parts over time are oxidized, which will lead to a manifestation of rusty spots. Anyway, most professionals are still advised to remove lighthouses.
- Taking the markup of the base, you need to take into account the location of door canvases. If they are planned to be done, the level of the screed is performed in such a way that it is at the level below the future lighting.
- In the process of finishing overlaps used primer. Before installing the lighthouses, it is very important to wait until it dry. This is due to the fact that the guides hold much stronger and better on the dry surface. In addition, subject to this rule in the future, the plaster layer will not be cracked and breaking.
- If you want to save the finishing material, then you should use not very high beacons. For example, when making walls in new buildings, erected from blocks, quite even, it is permissible not to apply these guidelines, but in old brick buildings without these parts it is not easy to do.
Reusable beacons made of steel are not recommended to acquire home masters for finishing ordinary homes, since experienced repairmen are more often treated with these elements that regularly conduct similar works. Otherwise, the costs of such details may be unjustified.
In the next video you will find a modern way of high-quality installation of beacons under the plaster.