Glass decoration by matting is becoming increasingly popular. In our article, we will tell about what matting paste and how to use it.
Paste for glass matting – a special chemical substance of white and thick creamy consistency. To the touch, this is an oil substance. She has practically no smell, the pH level is 3.5. The tool does not contain acids, during operation there is no gas formation.
It allows you to create a translucent or opaque picture on smooth glass. Technology involves the destruction of the crystal silicon lattice in the top glass layer. This occurs under the action of chemical reagents pasta at a depth of 25 microns.
Technology is called etching. It allows you to decorate the surface of any glass of glass. The technique implies the use of film templates.
In addition to glass, the material is used to work with ceramics and granite.
The tool is intended to apply a pattern on the surface with a large content of silicon (including plexiglass and glazed porcelain). At the same time, the drawings can be the most diverse, ranging from simple inscriptions, ending with complex art compositions. At the end of the etching, a pattern with a velvety texture is formed.
Matting paste can be decorated:
- Kitchen aprons;
- Sheet glass and mirrors;
- wedding glasses;
- stained glass compositions;
- kitchen utensils;
- Glass cars;
- shop windows;
- Glass shelves, doors.
In addition, it is possible to make glass jars, tabletop chainsals. With its help you can make unique ordinary things. Etching allows you to create extraordinary souvenirs and gifts for birthdays.
The matting paste has a number of unique properties. Working with it is characterized by minimal labor costs and investment. Material is easy to use and safe for human health.
The goods are supplied to the market in the form of a ready-made substance packed in hermetic container. The minimum shelf life of the product is six months. During its storage, a small percentage of fluid waste can be allowed.When stirring, the composition returns to the initial state.
If it is stored in a leakage container, may thicken. If necessary, it can be translated into a liquid state. It simplifies the processing of a glass surface of a large volume. Cream inerton to waxes, acrylic, styrelacryl polymer films. They are used to limit drawing zones.
Pasta destroys the metal with long-term contact with the surface. It is used on an industrial scale, equipping the room with exhaust ventilation. The substance is used repeatedly: after use, it is collected in a separate container.
The resulting image is not erased and is not washed off with water. This is its main advantage over glass sandblasting technology. Exemplary consumption of material is 1 kg per 24 m2 glass surface. In this case, the paste can be reused to 7-8 times.
This substance may assume classical and color matting. Due to the consistency, the composition can be applied not only horizontal, but also on vertical surfaces.
Pasta is sold in container of different volumes: 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000 g. It is easy to work, etching does not need auxiliary equipment. Technology is almost silent, not conjugate with pollution of the room.
Methods of etching together with the bombing fluorescent paint on glass allows you to seek the creation of luminous drawings and stained compositions. However, matting is the process of irreversible changes in the glass surface. Return the initial gloss in the future will not work.
The paint is made under the order, so its manufacturing date on the fact coincides with the shipment time. Products for vertical and horizontal surfaces are characterized by a consistency.
The formula of the composition is the author’s manufacture of manufacturers.
Production of a matting pump for processing glass are engaged in different manufacturers. It is worth noting the products of several companies that use the greatest purchasing.
- Noxton – Manufacturer Paste to create images of any level of complexity.
- “Aqua Color” – Supplier of high-quality and inexpensive paste, comfortable and easy to work. Releases composition with the effect of terracotta.
- Sammaker Releases a paste with a convenient consistency for working with different surfaces.
- Velvet Glass – Products for processing vertical and horizontal surfaces.
- Company 3m releases pasta capable not only to mock, but also clean the surface.
How to use?
Glass surface matting procedure is performed in several consecutive steps. So that there are no prints left on the surface, we use conventional rubber gloves. In addition, it is necessary to prepare a greasy spatula and scotch. Consider the main stages of work.
- Prepare the working surface. If necessary, it is cleaned of contamination, then degrease.
- Prepared stencils are stuck on the clean surface. Extra details immediately clean.
- Open the container with the product and stir the tool if its structure is heterogeneous.
- The paste is applied by a spatula with a layer of 2-3 or 3-4 mm thick. The thickness of the layer depends on the type of a specific paste, indicated by the manufacturer on the container.
- Paste quickly and evenly distribute over the surface of the stencil. Leave dry.
- After about 8-15 minutes, the material is removed from stencils and is cleaned into a separate container. Tightly closed to use in the future.
- Clean stencils for which glass can be placed under a stream of water. Remedies wash off with water. Surface dry wipe.
If solid etching is needed, the boundaries of the pattern form a tape film. After that apply a paste and quickly distribute over the surface with a thin layer. For this technique in the workshops make different images (up to photographs). Depending on the consistency, the paste can be developed not only large, but also small details of the drawing. Material is used to create a drawing of any complexity. It is possible to study until halftone.
Dimensions of the picture may be the most varied. In this case, several templates can be used in operation. The composition for working with granite or ceramics has an optimized formula for better penetration into the upper layers of the material being processed.
What to take into account now?
There are a number of nuances.
- Clean base – a guarantee of a qualitative result. If the paste is applied to unprepared glass, the picture will not be uniform. Spots will appear on his square. This defect is impossible to disguise or remake.
- Pictures-stencils for working with paste can be made independently or order on your own sketch. Such images are printed on special devices: plotters.
- Practice shows: individual types of paste can provoke the appearance of allergic reactions. Therefore, work at home must be carried out in well-ventilated areas.
- The user can change the intensity of matting. This is determined not only by the exposure time of the substance on the glass surface. Masits implementation method. It can be divided into 2 types: cold (at a temperature of 20 ° C for 15 minutes) and hot (at a temperature of 60 ° C for 15 minutes).
- With the same exposure time, the chemical reaction intensively at a higher temperature. However, this method of etching leads to the appearance of blurred edges, if not a film is used during operation, but paper stencils. This is due to water vapors secreted by pasta. In this case, the paper leaves from the glass surface, so the paste can penetrate the resulting emptiness.
- In the course of work it is impossible to make pastes on the glass, where it is not provided. The reaction takes into the reaction instantly, so the non-working part of the surface should be isolated from mass ingress.
- You can work with complex drawings. However, in this case, it is necessary to withstand the same time of exposure to the work area.