- What it is?
- Principle of operation
- Main characteristics
- Sizes and weight
- Review of species
- Riveted hammers
- Rating of the best manufacturers
- How to choose?
- How to use it?
- Threaded Gaikoklep
What is a riveter, how the riveter works, how to use it – such questions regularly arise from those who first fabulous with the need to use this manual tool. This method of connection is successfully applied for many years, it is no less reliable than welding or screws. How to choose a gun for rivets, about the principle of its work and ranking the best models worth talking in more detail.
What it is?
A riveter or rivet is a manual device, with which you can provide in metal parts. Creating a delicate connection. Unlike electrical appliances, all actions here occur solely due to mechanical impact. Looks like rivet quite simply, visually looks like a tick, but with the side arrangement of sponges. As part of the structure there are always such items.
- Head. It is to her attack the rivet to be established. It is selected by the size of the methome, to provide a convenient seizure of the rod of the collet mechanism.
- Lever. Pressing the mechanism comes into motion. The effort is attached on both sides, with closing its parts.
- Frame. It includes a fixed lower handle and reference bed tool.
- Clamping mechanism. Responsible for the transfer of effort from handles to the head. In the rivets it happens with a threaded and exhaust. In the second type of construction, it consists of a sleeve and collet cams.
- Spring. Used when removing the core, creates pressure by stop in the case cover.
This is a fairly simple device with which you can quickly combine sheets or parts of metal parts without using a welding machine, picking screws. In addition to manual modifications, there are also electrical, pneumatic and rechargeable options, But the most popular is the mechanical version: inexpensive and reliable.
With the help of a rivet, you can fasten materials limited in thickness – up to 10-13 mm. The resulting compound has its advantages: it is intimidable, resistant to vibrational loads, even without additional sealing – is especially highly appreciated in shipbuilding, where welding seams do not provide sufficient reliability.
The main purpose of this tool is a compound of flat parts. The most effectively riveting in cases where the width of the places of contact is more thick than 3 times and more.
Principle of operation
Running a riveter, regardless of the type of device, one and the same principle. All actions are reduced to the transfer of the tool head. It can be mechanically supplied using pneumatics or electrical energy, depending on the modification. In the metal workpiece, the hole of the desired diameter is done in which the rivet is inserted. It is made to the clamping mechanism – the installer, allowing to deform the methome. After influencing it, the rivet skirts change their location, flatten, and the fastening itself acquires the necessary strength and rigidity.
Initially, the riveting process was under shock loads. With the advent of rivets, the most popular exhaust method of action. Highlights with the finished head at the end, it is done through a hole in the metal, its metal rod is fixed in the tool mounting tip. When applied to the head, squeezing and forming the response of the connection. From the tearing side of the hat, in case of such a need, seal.
Like any other tool, the riveter has certain working and operational characteristics. The most important of these parameters deserve more detailed consideration.
The manufacture of the tool is made of durable tool or chrome steel, well withstanding regular intensive loads. Aluminum rivets are also available, their handles are produced from chromolibden alloy. Handicaping nozzles or their coating are most often made of PVC plastic. Rarely encounter silicon rivets from aluminum alloy with silicon – they are less durable, according to the method of use more like staplers.
Sizes and weight
Dimensional range of manual tool is not too big. The following parameters are considered standard:
- length from 210 to 500 mm;
- The diameter of the cartridge (inner part) is 2.4-8 mm;
- Head length from 24 to 70 mm;
- Weight of 300-1100 g.
Electric and pneumatic models are heavier, have a different range of overall dimensions. Working elements from rivets are most often standard for all varieties. Models like “Harmonica” The most massive – weigh to 4 kg. Standard manual options are the most popular option for 440 mm with a 2.6 × 42 mm cartridge.
Standard equipment of a manual type riveter can be supplemented with useful devices. Usually used here:
- Replaceable nozzles of popular sizes;
- Adjusting screw to limit the stroke on the case;
- Plastic tips for handles with a blocker;
- Mounting key for changing heads;
- Mandrels with thread for rivets-nut.
This is the main list of what should be included in the package of high-quality hand riveter. It is worth considering that the threaded tools have the number of available nozzles more than more, since other diameters are oriented: 5. 6, 8, 10 mm. Screws have their own sized fasteners: 2.4 mm, 3.2 mm, 4 mm, 4.8 mm, 6 mm, 6.4 mm.
Review of species
Pistol for rivets or industrial press-riveter, a universal mechanical version or a reinforced lever machine – all these tools are combined with a general principle of work and the installation of fasteners. Today there are models with a swivel head (sponges), professional machines and classic “accordions”. Impact method of riveting is almost no applied, such devices gradually come out of turnover. They are offered to shift electrical and pneumatic tools. About the device and how modern rivets are, it is worth talking in more detail.
Model with manual drive and the most simple device. They have a primitive design, the compression of the handles are powered. The range of rivets installed is not too large, when working with large-diameter products, it is better to give preference to more powerful options. Mechanical devices are better used in a home workshop.
By the location of the head, manual rivets are classified as.
- Facial. The head is located at the top of the tool, in one direction with the case. Fastening is in the end.
- Corner. Head is located in the side of the case. Usually attached at right angles, but other options are found.
- Bilateral. Such a model can rearrange the head from the end of the message using the landing key. It is convenient if you need to access the part that is out of direct access.
- Two-position. Here to change the position of the head does not require a special tool. It is easily fixed under the desired angle in 180 or 90 degrees.
- Swearing. Here in the design of the tool uses a hinge mechanism that supports the rotation of the operating tip in the range of 360 degrees. You can choose any convenient position of the head and fix it.
These are the main types of heads used in the design of hand rivets.
Such models are made in the form of an assembly gun with interchangeable nozzles and “smoke”, when pressed to which the head force is supplied. Electric tool requires connection to a power source. It is more productive than manual analogs, work is carried out almost without effort from the Master.
The use of electric coolers is advisable only in conditions of production.
Devices have no forceps, but an assembly pistol, a compressor injection compressed air is fixed in the tail part. This is the most powerful option capable of ensuring the successful installation of large rivets. Such equipment is advisable to purchase if the installation work is carried out regularly and in large volumes.
Are the subspecies of electrical models, but have an autonomous battery element. Because of this, their power is significantly lower, the term of continuous operation is determined by the capacity of the battery and the intensity of the flow of its charge. Such models are mobile, can be applied where there is no network connection. The package may not include an ACB or charger, they have to acquire additionally.
Professional, industrial equipment option. Used to work with large-sized threaded rivets. High pressure force gives such an instrument the ability to fasten the items in particularly responsible nodes without the risk of their destruction. The main scope of application of pneumohydraulic rivets – shipbuilding, mechanical engineering.
They are also called rivet staplers. This is a tool with 1 working handle and fixed cabinet. Since such products are made from silumin, the strength of the mechanism is minimal. Suitable only for working with rivets from aluminum, plastic, other soft materials. The diameter of the fastener is often limited to the range of 4.9 mm.
Universal tool in which movable are both handles. Provides high compression power, suitable for working with any metal rivets, including stainless. Also, double-handed ribs are called lever, according to the principle of operation. They are related to professional category with an extended working range.
Also known as “harmonica” or a lever-folding riveter. This tool is used when setting rivets with difficult access. A special mechanism creates an effort when folding the sliding parts, the pressure lever protrudes the handle. The convenience of the riveter is that it is possible to work with it 1 hand.
A variety of professional rivets applying shock power to install methization. An important distinction of his work is the need to specify fasteners on both sides, which requires free accessible to each part of the workpiece or part. The main scope of application of such equipment – repair and maintenance of equipment in the engineering, shipbuilding industry. The riveting is made on cold and hot surfaces, the diameter of hardware can reach 36 mm. Not used in everyday life.
Made in the form of nozzles that can be installed in a drill or screwdrivers. Most often produced in the form of an option for a specific type of rivets, but there are also universal options. It is inexpensive, designed mainly for small performance.
Designed to work with the corresponding rivet type. Consumables for them are inexpensive, completely closed the hole in the workpiece. This type of instrument is most often found among manual options.
Designed to work with rivets in which there is a hollow tube with internal thread. The stud is screwed with a stretch. Such a tool is also found among manual, and among electrical or pneumatic models. The connection is considered more reliable.
Rating of the best manufacturers
Make up the top brands that produce rivets on the market is not difficult. They are represented in the product assortment of the most famous firms. Among the leaders, such firms can be distinguished.
- Metabo. German brand producing powerful and reliable electroslates. Assortment has wired and rechargeable models.
- Matrix. One of the most popular brands in Russia. Releases manual ribs like “Harmonica” and professional two-handed, there are rotary models and options for anchors.
- “Bison”. Releases predominantly manual rivets, the level of quality is medium, but the equipment is quite suitable for both lovers and professionals.
- Messer. The company specializes in electrical wired rivets of professional class.
- Haskyy. The manufacturer offers a manual tool for sale, mainly for a threaded connection. A distinctive feature is a rich equipment of the proposed goods.
- Fubag. Brand specializes in the production of electric and pneumatic rivets of household or industrial class. Portable models are convenient to use, but somewhat massive.
- Stanley. Famous tool manufacturer for home. His rivets are single-art, focused on working with soft metals, are characterized by a budget price.
How to choose?
When choosing a riveter, it is important to pay attention to a number of important points.
- Purpose of tool. For the house it is worth choosing the simplest options – even one-handed version or “harmonica” is suitable for aluminum rivets. For steel and for stainless it is better to acquire manual models of two-handed type. Professional equipment for metal riveting of different thicknesses is only required to be manufactured by repair and construction.
- Features of fasteners. For example, a conventional one-handed lever-type flower is suitable for the plasterboard profile. For dowels “Molly” and for anchors of this type, similar models are chosen. For semi-empty rivets, you need an exhaust tool, simple and understandable in use.
- Material of manufacture. It must be the tool steel of sufficient thickness. This moment is especially important for professional use. Silhino and aluminum options should not even consider.
- Head type. If you have to do work in different conditions, it is better to immediately choose a model with a rotary mechanism. For not too frequent installation of rivets at home, you can do without a simple direct or angular option.
- Equipment. What it is wider, the less you will have to achieve additional accessories. In addition, the tool must have the necessary mounting keys and other devices facilitating the work of the Master.
- Weight and power. High-quality riveter is always heavy enough, its mass is close to 1 kg and more. The most powerful models – pneumatic, electrical wired to them are inferior, but such performance is required only when the tool is streamlined. If this is not required, it is better to choose a manual version or adapter on a drill.
These are the main criteria that can be guided by choosing a riblist for use in a home workshop.
How to use it?
In order to easily rivet any metal details, you need to explore the rules for using the riveter. About what adjustment is required by a manual tool, how to set a hardware when working with it, it is worth learning more even before operating the tool.
This tool requires certain efforts when working with it. The procedure in this case will be such.
- A hole with a diameter of 3 to 14 mm (M3-M14) drilled in the steel blank (M3-M14). Landmark – Riveting diameter.
- Install the rod for a threaded connection.
- Having a battle at him. The action continues until the emergence of.
- Install the prepared methyz in the hole in the parts connected.
- Bring levers to educate the necessary effort.
- Unscrew the tool from the rivet connection.
The mount obtained in this way makes it possible to immediately turn the bolt or the stud in the desired diameter into parts. The connection is solid and reliable, usually does not require additional sealing.
This type of tool requires when working sufficient to fold its elements of free space. In addition, the length of the lever portion in the straightened form reaches 80 cm. This one also needs to be taken into account when preparing the workplace. Head in rivets-accordion always straight. Installation of hardware in this case.
- Fasten the rivet in the head. Installation is carried out inside with a stud.
- Break the handle to the end.
- Rivet insert into the prepared hole.
- Squeeze the mechanism gradually reinforcing pressure due to body weight.
- Remove the hairpin.
A big advantage is that all manipulations are performed by one hand. This facilitates the positioning of the riveting in the hole, allows you to get less tired with a large amount of tasks.
The principle of operation here is similar to what is used in harmonic ribs. Only the lever at the tool is located otherwise and requires the application of power from 2 sides. The cartridge is selected based on the sizes of the hairpin. The tool when compressing is flattened by a branch installed in the hole, the material rushes. Internal stud at the same time pulls out.
Surplus of methiza sticking in the material are easily removed by nippers upon completion of work. When working with exhaust rivets, it is important to remember the correct selection of consumables. The length of the bobbies should be 2 times the thickness of the fastened elements, otherwise they cannot be connected.
In the next video, it is described how to use a riveter.