Different types of wooden panels are successfully used in the manufacture of furniture, interior items. The fact that it is, what varieties of furniture shields from wood exist, as classified, it is worth understanding more.
What it is?
The furniture shield is a sheet material, most often from an array of wood connecting in the form of individual bars or elements in a solid canvas. It can also be made from chipboard or fiberboard, with voids inside to facilitate the total mass of construction. In Russia, the traditional material for it is inexpensive coniferous woods, less commonly there are products from a more solid birch, oak. The main scope of application of such sheets is furniture, construction, finishing.
Shield manufacturing technology apply more than 100 years. Initially compression when gluing elements was carried out using clamps. Today, powerful presss are used in production. Mass production began in the 70s of the XX century.
The characteristics of the material are as follows:
- Square or rectangular shape;
- Brous width – 10-50 mm;
- Length – 2-5 m;
- thickness – 18-40 mm (up to 80 for multi-layered);
- width – 200-1200 mm;
- Material moisture level – 6-12%;
- The quality of surface grinding – 80-120.
These are the main parameters that high-quality furniture shields produced in the Russian Federation possess. Foreign manufacturers can have other parameters.
Making a furniture shield is carried out on woodworking enterprises. For production is used raw materials in the form of a edged or unedged lumber from hardwood, coniferous rocks. It is sorted on the basis of the requirements for a specific form of final products. In some classes, it is unacceptable to use bumping elements or bars having resinous pockets.
The process of creating a glued panel material is divided into certain steps.
- Drying selected lumber.
- Fantasy and sorting blanks.
- Cut the width. At this stage, defective sections are often cut off for a furniture shield.
- Machine treatment. Billets must purchase specified geometric parameters.
- Assembly in length with adhesion.
- Final package. After that, the product goes under the press.
- Checking seams.
- Calibration and grinding of finished material.
- Cutting the resulting array on individual shields, according to the specified sizes.
The manufacturer can use individual elements from chipboard or fiberboard to obtain a solid furniture shield. In this case, the assembly is carried out by similar technology.
Review of species
Classification of furniture shields can be conducted by different signs. Among the most important differences can be allocated Material of manufacture. It can be a set of array, LDSP. By type finish Material is veneered or laminated. Moisture-resistant embodiment glued, then treated with moisture-proof materials, sometimes further covered with shrink film.
According to the method of gluing, the furniture shield of two categories.
- Allolmine. In it glued timber connected along the length. Each plank passes from the edge to the edge, is a solid fragment of wood. The main advantage of this method of gluing is the aesthetics and strength of the module formable, it looks homogeneously. Such shields can be decorated with lesing coating, they look like a one-piece array.
- Framed. In this method of gluing, the connection of the lamellas occurs in length and width, the seams are much greater, sometimes the microbes are additionally used for closer contact of all elements. This method has disadvantages associated with heterogeneity, a variety of structure. At the same time, the fret shield has a higher bending strength, suitable for creating loaded structures.
Wooden furniture shields may have Different methods for end processing.Round or Selected groove, milled option most often offered to choose with the individual manufacture of products. For further processing, the shields made of solid rocks – maple, oak, soft needles most often goes to simpler elements.
Classification of types of furniture shields on their decorative components most in demand in furniture production.
Here, several categories that determine the homogeneity of the color and the location of the fibers relative to each other.
- Radial. The most uniform in appearance option, the slats are parallel to each other, the color is natural, without sharp transitions. Fibers in the structure are radially, the deviation across the width of individual slats should not be more than 20 mm.
- Natur. For this class, furniture shields are characterized by the uniformity of the structure, but it is allowed to include light “peaks” to 3 mm in diameter. The fibers are not subject to rigorous requirements.
- Select. Class in which the surface can be heterogeneous in color and size of lamellae. Wood fibers most often arranged multidirectional. In the Class Select Shields there are noticeable defects – swivel, knots.
- Rustic. The most motley option, sometimes it is made of wood of different breeds. Despite not the highest quality, Rustic is especially loved by designers. Externally, ready-made stove resembles a laid parquet, often it is necessary to just cover with varnish or wax for protection to get an attractive decorative solution.
This classification is not quite official, but it is also applied in production, and in the sphere of sales. Buyers should take it into account so that from the very beginning not to waste time in search of those options that are poorly consistent with the tasks.
Most often have to take into account the materials from which shields are made.
Furniture shields made of luxury wood are focused on the manufacture of furniture, countertops. The pattern of the surface may be homogeneous or a motley – each option has its own advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage of oak shields can be called high density – from 730 to 780 kg / m3. At the same time, they are quite massive, founden and durable.
In this case, manufacturing occurs according to standard technology, but using more valuable raw materials – natural solid wood, which significantly increases the performance properties of the material. Smooth can be one side or both. Hot press using resins provides sufficient connection strength of elements. But if formaldehydes are used, the furniture such a shield can already be called.
From larch, alder and linden
These breeds of natural wood have a beautiful drawing, strong enough and durable. W Linden There is an advantage in the form of the content of special natural antiseptics making it resistant to rotting and other biological defeats. Larch not afraid of contact with moisture. Alder Beautiful, firm enough and dense. Furniture shields from the tree of these breeds are often used in the interior decoration.
From pine and fir
Furniture shields made of coniferous wood – Some of the most affordable. In addition, they differ in low weight, moisture resistance, due to the high resin. The density of the material is rather low – not higher than 520 kg / m3.
Exotic material is produced by limited parties, highly appreciated by amateurs of Asian aesthetics. Bamboo furniture shields have good flexibility, with their help you can create structures with complex geometry. Because of its rarity, they are expensive, but they look very original, so they are invariably in demand.
From chipboard and mdf
Classic plates from MDF and chipboard can also be attributed to the discharge of furniture shields. That’s just raw materials for their production is not always environmentally friendly. Mechanical and physical strength of them are also noticeably inferior to analogs from the array. MDF-slabs are considered to be more elite material, above are valued.
There is an approved division of all types of furniture shields to classes.
- C. The lowest variety that allows a large number of defects. Up to 75% of Collot may be present here, a large number of non-drop-down bitch, surface dents, chips and cracks. Appointment of products mostly technical.
- B. Grade allowing the presence of a minor number of defects. If these are a bitches, there must be no more than 2-3 pieces per 1 m2. Perhaps the presence of curls, the swamp must be present in the amount of up to 10%. This is a quality material capable of carrying essential functional loads.
- A. The furniture shield of this class may have a minor heterogeneity in the coloring and structure of components. May have healthy bitch in small quantity, but in general it is undesirable.
- 0 or “Extra”. The highest product grade, the requirements for it is the most stringent. Defects should not be, the color and structure of the fibers after gluing are always homogeneous, butts are minor. The drawing of such shields is weakly expressed, it seems that it is a solid slab wood.
It is important to consider that the furniture shield may have different classes for each of the sides. That is why the marking most often looks like this: A / A, B / B, A / B.
The range of furniture shields depends on their purpose. The most popular width varies in the range from 200 to 600 mm with a thickness of 16 to 20 mm. Length of small-sized panels varies from 900 mm to 4000 mm. Also there are variants of the width of 0.3 and 1.1 m. The thickness of such shields is 40 or 50 mm, length – from 1 to 6 m.
Need to understand that Dimensional characteristics are not regulated by the requirements of GOST. Manufacturers may install optimal parameters themselves. For example, the most sought-after option is considered to be the medium-sized dimensions panels. Large format shields 5000 × 1200 mm are used in the finish of large areas. The construction includes all the options whose length exceeds 2 m.
The color scheme of furniture shields depends on what kind of wood species were used for their manufacture. The following colors are considered the most popular:
- White – it is found in maple, pine;
- Cherry with a characteristic reddish tint;
- Alder – in nature has up to 30 tones of wood.
These are the most sought-after options. In addition, the furniture shield can be toned, painted, brass.
Where are used?
The use of furniture shields is in demand mainly in the production of tables and countertops, facades of kitchen heads and cabinets. In their structure they are close to the array of wood. Products can be sublected milling, thread. Of subtle varieties Beautiful carved screens are obtained for radiators or shirms. Thick go to the creation of steps of stairs, window sills, door canvases, racks and storage systems.
Applying a furniture shield in demand In the field of finishing interiors. Here are the use of an unusual structure and drawing of fragmented materials resembling parquet. Paul with such a finish can be varnished, wax and impregnated. Wall finishing or formation of partitions can also be carried out using furniture shields.
If you need to create a durable and good insulating noise of the ceiling, such glued plates are also suitable.
Tips for choosing
When choosing a suitable furniture shield, you should adhere to certain rules. Even heterogeneous material can be beautiful and functional, if it is made in all the rules. When examining a shield, you need to pay attention to a number of important parameters.
- Product class. Should shields are marked with a note “Extra”, they are the best materials on them, there are requirements for the selection of lamellae. Class B / B is spliced with glue without toxic compounds. He allows a slight inclusion in the Array of Dumps.
- Method of gluing. Alloline shields are considered to be furnished, the fragmented are more often used in the manufacture of loaded structures.
- Price. Products made of coniferous wood – the cheapest. The premium segment includes oak, beech, bamboo. The average cost, but quite sufficient strength and decorativeness in solid rock materials – maple, cherry, alder.
- Uniformity. Serious manufacturers are used for the manufacture of furniture shields Wood of one breed. If the structure of the fibers is very different, the material is unlikely to be considered high-quality.
- Purpose. If the panels are planned to make the door leaf, the windowsill, stairs stage, you can not overpay for one-piece lamella and choose a setup option. For tabletop and facades, a high-class shield with practically imperceptible traces of gluing will be more preferable.
Considering these recommendations, you can easily cope with the task of finding the most attractive material for the manufacture of interior items or decoration.