- How to choose gypsum board
- What is better gypsum board or plaster
- Rating of the best drywall
- The best conventional plasterboard
- Gyproc Strong 2500h1200h15mm
- KNAUF GSP-A 2500h1200h9.5mm
- Volma 2500h1200h12.5mm
- The best moisture-resistant drywall
- Gyproc Aqua Strong water-resistant 2500x1200x15mm
- KNAUF GSP-H2 moisture-resistant 2500x1200x9.5 mm
- Volma moisture-resistant 2500h1200h12.5 mm
- The best fire-resistant drywall
- Volma fireproof 2500h1200h12.5 mm
- KNAUF GSP-DF fireproof 2500x1200x12.5mm
Drywall has revolutionized the finishing industry by allowing you to quickly level walls and ceilings while insulating and insulating them. With the help of this gypsum material enclosed between two sheets of cardboard, it is easy to build interior partitions, dividing large rooms into smaller ones. Various modifications of drywall have additional features that allow them to be used in environments with high humidity or fire hazards. Our experts have prepared a rating of all types of drywall, based on the characteristics of panels and feedback from builders, which will help you choose the best product for a particular location.
How to choose gypsum board
Beginning to study the rating of drywall modifications, it is useful to look at a few key parameters on the choice of this building material, so that you understand what values are important:
- Core type. Gypsum plasterboard is always based on gypsum, which occupies up to 93% of all components. Drywall is cheaper than other types of drywall. The abbreviation with an “B” prefix indicates the moisture resistance. The prefix “O” indicates the fire resistance. The presence of two letters VO implies the ability of sheets to simultaneously resist both moisture and open flame.
- Thickness. Boards are available in sizes from 6 to 25 mm. Products with thickness of 7-8 mm are chosen for mounting on the ceiling. The walls are finished with 12-15 mm panels. Thicker finishing materials are used only to create strong partitions or increased noise insulation.
- Type of edge.Semicircular and thinned edges are most common. The former requires a lot of putty to caulk joints, but reduces the likelihood of cracks. The second has a millimeter drop and imply filling with wide seams of 90 mm, but with a minimum depth, which saves on consumption, but increases the risk of cracks.
- Sheet Size. The standard width of plasterboard is 120 cm. They are available in lengths from 2.5 to 4.8 m. The fewer joints, the faster the installation and the less joint cleaning required. When installing on walls, select sheets equivalent to the height of the ceilings.
What is better gypsum board or plaster
Plastered walls may seem more economical option in terms of cost, so before considering the rating of gypsum board modifications should understand what the benefit of using a more expensive finishing material.
TYPE OF FINISHING
+READY FOR FINISHING IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLATION
+GIVES A PERFECTLY FLAT SURFACE
+EASY TO HIDE PIPES, INSTALLATIONS, WIRING
+SUITABLE FOR USE WITH GRADIENTS UP TO 4 CM
+CLEANLINESS DURING INSTALLATION
+THE POSSIBILITY TO CREATE PARTITION WALLS
+SOUND AND HEAT INSULATION
+CAN BE SHAPED AND MAKE TWO-TIERED CEILINGS, ARCHES, OPENINGS
-TAKES UP LITTLE INTERIOR SPACE IN THE ROOM
-YOU CAN NOT ATTACH HEAVY OBJECTS TO THE WALL (BOILER, MASSIVE SHELVES)
-REQUIRES A GRID OF PROFILES
-SERVICE LIFE IS SHORTENED BY FREQUENT CHANGES
-IT IS MORE DIFFICULT TO TRANSPORT AND BRING TO THE FLOOR
-THE FACE MUST BE PROTECTED WITH A PRIMER OR TILE
+LESS PROBLEMS WITH A CURVED BASE
+IT IS POSSIBLE TO HANG FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES
+SAVINGS WHEN DOING THE WORK YOURSELF
+IT IS EASIER TO REPAIR DAMAGED AREAS
-DRYING TIME REQUIRED
-EVEN AFTER PLASTERING, THE WALLS CAN STILL BE CROOKED
-THICK LAYER REQUIRED TO HIDE UTILITY LINES
-THE DIFFERENCES SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 2.5 CM
-PLASTERING CAUSES A LOT OF DIRT ON THE FLOOR
Rating of the best drywall
|Nomination||place||product name||price per piece.|
|The best conventional drywall||1||Gyproc Strong 2500h1200h15mm||452€|
|2||KNAUF GSP-A 2500h1200h9.5 mm||353€|
|The best moisture-resistant drywall||1||Gyproc Aqua Strong moisture-proof 2500x1200x15mm||524€|
|2||KNAUF HSP-H2 moistureproof 2500x1200x9.5mm||354€|
|3||Volma water proof 2500h1200h12.5mm||298€|
|The best fireproof plasterboard||1||Volma Fireproof 2500h1200h12.5mm||378€|
|2||KNAUF GSP-DF fireproof 2500x1200x12.5mm||369€|
The best conventional plasterboard
Gypsum plasterboard is produced in white or gray color and is suitable for finishing walls and ceilings in dry rooms (offices, bedrooms, halls, corridors), which do not require protection against moisture or fire according to construction standards. No additives are used in its core – there’s pure gypsum, held together by cardboard framework. it is the most affordable option for economical repair.
Gyproc Strong 2500h1200h15mm
This product is of Swedish brand, but manufactured at production facilities in Russia. This made it possible to achieve acceptable quality and low cost. Gypsum plasterboard belongs to the low-flammable group and is equipped with reinforcing fibers, which, combined with a thickness of 15 mm gives increased strength. The manufacturer claims that it is even possible to hang a TV set on such a wall. Plasterboard has been tested for environmental friendliness and is a safe product.
Experts added plasterboard to the rating due to the thickness of the panel 15 mm. This layer, given the cost, is optimal for insulating walls in a high-rise building from the neighbors’ sounds, or for finishing rooms in a private home located along the road. In the characteristics of the product is positioned as an acoustic, which confirms the high ability to absorb noise. It is also worth paying attention to musicians who often rehearse at home, so as not to cause inconvenience to neighbors.
- Saving putty due to the thinned edge;
- Dimensions fit most typical apartments of high-rise apartments in Russia;
- better withstands shocks;
- Reduces costs during the subsequent finishing, since it has a light gray color does not shine through a thin primer.
- The weight of 33 kg per sheet makes it difficult to bring to the floor;
- Joints can crack because of the thin groove for the putty.
KNAUF GSP-A 2500h1200h9.5mm
The famous brand now produced in Russia, which allowed to lower the price. Finishing material in white and gray color with a thickness of 9.5 mm is excellent for fixing to walls and ceilings in domestic and office buildings. The manufacturer added to the ordinary drywall reinforcing components that increase the resistance to bending or impact. The surface of the panels is moderately smooth and contributes to better adhesion to the following finishing materials.
All users give 5 points to the product in their reviews and share that the drywall is long-lasting and does not deteriorate even when used in rooms with high humidity. Our experts have put the product in the rating because of the increased strength in spite of the thickness of 9.5 mm, so it is recommended to use the sheets to create interior partitions. The presence of a semicircular edge will not let the joints crack, even with the slamming of doors.
- excellent cuts;
- Lighter than other analogues (22 kg), which creates less load on the crate and is easier to bring in;
- strong gypsum-binder layer of G4 grade;
- Rounded edges for securely sealing the joints.
- Sheets slightly bend on the dry, which complicates the ceiling mount;
- Requires very careful handling, otherwise the corners crumble during installation;
- easily scratched during transportation.
This is an exclusively Russian brand, whose modification of gypsum plasterboard is suitable for interior finishing of dry rooms. Thickness 12.5 mm is optimal for insulation and alignment of walls, creating shaped door and window openings. The putty and plaster compositions adhere perfectly to the cardboard layer. For the price, this is one of the most affordable options, but users complain in reviews that the panels are very hard and the self-tapping screws are difficult to screw all the way in. Therefore, you will need a powerful screwdriver, otherwise the installation process will stretch over time.
According to our experts, the plasterboard should be in the ranking due to the manufacture of the core from gypsum mixture, which belongs to non-combustible materials (NG), when the majority of analogues conventional gypsum board of other companies are made from low-combustible components (G1). For that kind of money, this is the best option for finishing walls in a home boiler room.
- It is possible to buy with any type of edge, which is important for the place of installation and the method of sealing the joint;
- Is easy to cut along the line;
- Environmentally friendly.
- Each sheet weighs 32 kg
- The high hardness of the panels delays installation;
- Fragile on impact;
- You may come across corrugated sheets, which will have to be puttyed completely to even out.
The best moisture-resistant drywall
This modification is designated as GKLV. The product is marked with a green paper color and is suitable for rooms where the humidity level is higher than 70%. It is installed in bathrooms, toilets, kitchens, or specialized medical rooms. If you use regular drywall, then in its core mold will form and the material will be destroyed. It is more expensive due to the water-repellent impregnation inside and additional processing of the paper layer.
Gyproc Aqua Strong water-resistant 2500x1200x15mm
Another version of the product from the Swedish brand, which is produced in Russia. The panels are finished with cardboard on all sides and have a thinned edge. Waterproof plasterboard can be immediately recognized by the green color of the paper. Product dimensions are ideal for most apartments with ceilings 2.5 m. The drywall modification is convenient to order for large repairs because it comes in pallets of 46 pieces each. In the core are embedded additional components that resist the effects of water and increase the strength.
Experts included gypsum board in the rating of the best because of its increased strength. Tests and reviews have shown that it takes up to 65 kg of force to pull an OLA dowel out of this material. We recommend paying attention to this product for those who are going to hang a lot of shelves, mirrors or other objects of medium weight in the bathroom. Panels will withstand such a load and last a long time.
- increased section of 15 mm;
- comply with GOST 6266-97;
- Withstand a pulling force of fasteners up to 64 kg.
- high cost;
- difficult to assemble itself due to the weight of 34 kg;
- Sheets are often 5mm smaller than standard sizes, requiring more filler for ceiling joints.
KNAUF GSP-H2 moisture-resistant 2500x1200x9.5 mm
Finishing panels from a proven brand, available with a wall cross section of 9.5 mm for light weight and fastening in any spatial position. The paper is impregnated with hydrophobic components, but at the same time the entire sheet can let in excessive amounts of moisture from the room. Sold both piece by piece and on pallets of 50 pieces for large volumes of construction. It costs a lot of money, but users say that this has affected the quality – there are large air bubbles inside the gypsum.
According to our experts, the drywall should be added to the rating because of its flexibility when passing a needle roller when wet, which is suitable for organizing a complex curved ceiling in a large bathroom or kitchen. Semicircular edge allows you to create a thick airtight joint, which is enough to paint the outside and not necessary to finish with additional materials.
- high protection against counterfeiting with imprinting of the brand and lot on each sheet;
- self-tapping edge is color-coded to help with installation;
- Semicircular edge for quality termination of the joints.
- weight of the moisture-resistant drywall 25 kg;
- wall thickness 9.5 mm, and in practice it can be less;
- harder to cut evenly because of air bubbles in the structure;
- A needle roller is required to create curves.
Volma moisture-resistant 2500h1200h12.5 mm
The domestic modification with antifungal additives and impregnation of cardboard. The core is made by pressing and further exposed to baking to increase the density. Panels are available in thickness of 12.5mm, and pallets of 49 pieces are available for bulk purchases. Users and builders in the reviews like its affordability, but some complain that it is difficult to adjust the screwing force on the screwdriver, so that the fastener does not tear the paper. This is due to too hard structure of the panel.
Experts unanimously recommend this modification in the rating for the construction of columns, boxes or niches in large rooms with high humidity (swimming pools, showers in gyms, etc.).d.). Thickness 12.5 mm well withstands shocks and helps maintain the integrity of structures. The only thing left to do on the outside is to cover the drywall with ceramic tiles.
- high-quality packaging of pallets;
- endurance base;
- anti-fungal additives;
- better withstands temperature fluctuations.
- For optimum protection from water, additional measures are required (water-resistant primer, tiles);
- Weight of each sheet 26.4 kg;
- no reinforced fibers inside;
- More difficult to select the torque.
The best fire-resistant drywall
The modification is designated as GKLO. Sheets are painted red or pink, intuitively indicating resistance to fire. The material is expensive because of the reinforcing components and impregnations that increase resistance to high temperatures and open flame. GKLO is applied at finishing of panel, boiler rooms, industrial premises. At home, it is advisable to finish the walls of the fireplace, stove and chimney in a private home.
Volma fireproof 2500h1200h12.5 mm
Fire-resistant drywall from a domestic manufacturer, sold in pallets of 47 sheets. Has special additives for resistance to fire and destruction from open flame. Classified in group B2 for flammability, which implies that the panel must be exposed to direct contact with fire for a long time to catch fire, even the outer paper layer. Reviews and test results show that if you install a partition wall of two of these sheets and fill it with mineral wool with a layer of 5 cm, it will delay the spread of fire for 60 minutes, which corresponds to the fire-technical standard EI60.
According to experts, Volma fire-resistant gypsum board deserves a place in the ranking of the best because of its resistance to smoke emission. The product is assigned a class D1 on smoke generation, so in case of fire in a room with this finish will maintain excellent visibility and the ability to breathe. This makes this plasterboard suitable for installations in crowded facilities, where there is an increased likelihood of fire.
- no smoke is produced in contact with fire
- semicircular edge;
- Will delay the spread of the fire up to 60 minutes in combination with mineral wool.
- There are panels with a porous structure;
- weight 30.6 kg
- not suitable for wet rooms.
KNAUF GSP-DF fireproof 2500x1200x12.5mm
The core of this plasterboard is made of G4 gypsum binders and is pressed. Reinforcing components are used inside, and fire-resistant products comply with GOST 32614-2012. Semicircular thinned edge promotes the creation of strong joints, excluding the occurrence of cracks in the future. But when ordering directly from the factory or from official dealers, other types of chamfers can be arranged. The outer layer is securely bonded to the core with adhesives.
On various online resources, this drywall is recommended by up to 83% of users in reviews. Our experts have included fireproof plasterboard in the rating due to compliance not only to Russian, but also to international standards EN 520:2009 and the availability of appropriate certification. This product is optimal for creating fire barriers in buildings with a large number of people (cinemas, shopping centers), which are subjected to thorough inspections by regulatory agencies.
- Each panel is labeled GSP-DF;
- The color indicates the longitudinal edges for easy mounting fasteners;
- They can be used to create curved surfaces;
- absorbs excess moisture, but does not accumulate it in itself (“breathes”).
- Increased fragility in case of sharp mechanical impact;
- is more expensive than its analogues.