- How to choose a pressure booster pump
- Rating of the best pumps for pressure boosting
- DJILEX Jumbo 70/50 P-K Comfort
- ARDENA 3500/4E Classic
- edrollo PKm 60 (370 W)
- Wilo PB-201EA (340 W)
- Aquario AC 1512-195A (270 W)
- Grundfos UPA 15-90 (120 W)
If you have weak pressure in the water system, it is necessary to increase it with a special pump, otherwise the water will not squeeze to the second floor. Sometimes even on the first floor, there is not enough pressure to light the automatic gas stove, turn on the washing machine or dishwasher. These pumps also allow you to organize pumping of liquid from wells, ponds and reservoirs for the organization of water supply or irrigation in the private sector. These are not submersible models, but surface models, which are installed in technical pits with water meters, in boiler rooms or bathrooms. Tips on how to choose a pressure booster pump and the top 6 best options will be useful for those who are looking for such equipment.
How to choose a pressure booster pump
When selecting a pump, consider the following features:
- Power. The power output ranges from 120 W to 1,100 W. The higher the value, the better the station increases pressure and lasts longer without overheating. But increased power entails an increase in the size of the unit and power consumption, which increases the cost of water supply.
- Capacity.Comes in the range from 20 to 70 liters per minute. Whether you wash your hands or take a shower at home, the minimum setting is sufficient. If you are not in a hurry, 20-30 liters per minute will also be enough to water your vegetable garden. But the set of a large capacity will happen faster with the characteristics of 40-70 liters per minute. The same parameter will be required for 4-6 sample points.
- Suction depth. If you draw water not from the water supply, but from a well / river / well, then the permissible depth of suction plays a role. It comes from 1 to 9 m. Choose one based on your operating conditions.
- Water supply at height. The pumps are able to raise the level of the flow up to a height of 10-50 m. If you have a one-storey house, the minimum value is enough. In the case of a cottage on two or three floors, or water supply from the river to the site, located on a hill, look for models with characteristics from 20 m.
- Permissible temperature of the fluid.Some pumps can increase the pressure of the carrier with a maximum temperature of +40 degrees, others up to +60 º C, and others up to +80-95 º C. For a cold liquid does not matter, but if you plan to pump the pressure from the boiler or use the station in the heating system, then look for pumps with a temperature of +80º C.
- body material.Is it plastic or metal. The first is cheaper, non-rusting, and lighter, but less durable. Second one is heavy and more expensive, but handles loads better.
- Connection. Connection of the pump in the system to increase the head is made through a thread of 1, 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Choose a model that matches the pipes in your home.
- Type of cooling.Can be dry and wet. The dry version involves separating the water passage chamber and the rotor, and the winding is blown by a fan in the back. Such stations are more productive, but take up more space. With a wet rotor pressure boosters are more compact, because they do not require a fan, and are cooled by water flow, but they have a lower capacity.
- Sealed casing. The range is from IP22 to IP54. The last type can be installed in places where it will be splashed by rain or water without harming the device. All the rest are allowed to be mounted only in dry premises.
- Presence of automatic unit and types of protection. Automation allows you to run the station by increasing the pressure when you open the faucet. Otherwise, you’ll need to run the unit manually every time you use the water supply. Among the kinds of safety may be the dry operation protection and overheating protection.
Rating of the best pumps for pressure boosting
The top 6 models with different characteristics, which are useful both in the country house and in a large cottage. In selecting the best models, experts took into account the opinion of buyers from reviews, ratings of product sales and technical parameters of the equipment.
|Rating of the best pumps for pressure boosting||1||JILEX Jumbo 70/50 P-K Comfort||10 000€|
|2||ARDENA 3500/4E Classic||15 800€|
edrollo PKm 60 (370 W)
|4||Wilo PB-201EA (340W)||10 000€|
|5||Aquario AC 1512-195A (270 W)||9 500€|
|6||Grundfos UPA 15-90 (120 W)||7 000€|
DJILEX Jumbo 70/50 P-K Comfort
Tops the list of the best pumps capable of increasing pressure unit “Comfort” from the “Jumbo” series. The model fully lives up to its name, literally throwing water at a height of 50 m. In this case, the fluid can be taken not only at the location of the pump, but from a depth of 9 m. Judging by the reviews, the declared characteristics fully correspond to the actual, because the powerful electric motor 1100 W ensures stability of pumping and maintenance of the necessary pressure. The pump gives out up to 70 liters per minute and the flow temperature is allowed up to +35 degrees.
We recommend this pump as one of the most efficient pumps for use in a large house or apartment building with several floors and 5 to 7 extraction points. The integrated ejector and the patented “Venturi” duct system ensure a stable pressure increase and comfortable use of the water supply, regardless of the incoming parameters.
- capacity 70 l/min;
- Dry run protection;
- motor with ribs for accelerated cooling;
- attractive price;
- Continuous working possibility.
- Can not be connected to the line with a diameter of less than 25 mm;
- Requires a stabilizer in the presence of power surges.
ARDENA 3500/4E Classic
Among the German products there is an interesting pump ARDENA 3500/4E of Classic series with power of 800 W that can raise the level of the liquid in the pipe up to 40 m. The unit provides the pumping of up to 3500 liters per hour. Inside, an impeller with an ejector operates. IP54 watertight casing, so operation is even possible in the rain. Operation of the pump is pretty simple – one button on the side to start and stop. Rubberized feet help the station bounce less from vibration during operation.
The main advantages of the pump are its power and compactness, making the device for pressure boosting very mobile. The presence of a handle on top of the housing and the light weight of 8 kg simplify the transfer of the device on the suburban area. We recommend the station for watering a large vegetable garden from a well or borehole to ensure sufficient moisture and minimize costs.
- Increases the pressure at a height of up to 40 m;
- Draws in liquids from a depth of 8 m
- capacity of 3500 l / h;
- Weight of 8 kg and carrying handle.
- rather high cost;
- Only 1 power cord.5 m;
- plastic housing.
edrollo PKm 60 (370 W)
This model to increase the pressure in the system is one of the “junior” in the range of the Italian manufacturer. Despite this, the pump is able to deliver pressure to a height of 38 m with a capacity of 2400 l / h. Users in reviews like the fact that such characteristics are achieved with relatively low power consumption – 0.37 kWh. The pump body is made of metal and weighs 5.2 kg. Motor side walls are equipped with projecting ribs that increase the heat-extraction area, so the model is able to operate continuously. Four holes in the base allow you to fix the station on a platform with a rubber layer, so it is less vibration.
Reports also praise this pump for its very quiet operation. It does not hum as “older brethren”, but quietly rumbles, so the location of the unit in the bathroom or boiler room will not cause discomfort to residents of the house.
- compact dimensions;
- The standard connection diameter is 1 inch;
- possibility of fixation to the base;
- metal housing;
- fins for effective heat dissipation from the motor.
- inconvenient to take hold of the pump when installing or carrying it;
- Implemented without mains cable and plug.
Wilo PB-201EA (340 W)
The German brand Wilo offers a pump with 340 W capacity, which is able to increase the head up to 15 m. Despite its modest power consumption, the small pumping station pumps up to 65 l/min or up to 3,900 l/h. The unit is capable of raising the pressure up to 5 bar, which makes it comfortable to use taps, automatic gas taps and other extraction points. In the reviews, users are pleased with the quality assembly of the unit with the body cast in gray cast iron. The shaft is made of stainless steel, and the end seal, on which the impeller slides, made of ceramic and graphite. all this, along with forced air cooling, prolongs trouble-free operation. There are two slots for fixing in place with an open outlet for screws, which makes it easier to remove in case of repair.
The chip of this pump is the ability to pump water with a temperature up to +80 degrees, when the characteristics of competitors are limited to +30 … +60 º C. This is relevant in the case of a heated supply to the second or third floor, e.g. from a boiler.
- Isolated start button;
- the motor is effectively cooled;
- Cast metal case;
- simplified fixation to the base.
- No plug and power cord included.
Aquario AC 1512-195A (270 W)
Pump from the Italian brand Aquario equipped with a motor with power 270 watts, providing economical power consumption. The apparatus is able to raise the pressure of the liquid having temperature from +2 to +60 degrees. The core and rotor are made of cold-rolled steel, and the winding is made of copper, which increases the strength of the key unit and resistance to stress. The pump shaft and bearings are ceramic coated to resist abrasion. Users in the reviews like the fact that the pump can be switched to automatic mode, where the station will start when the pressure is 0.2 atm. The unit will be able to pick up the flow and increase the delivery force up to 6 bar.
This pump is able to function continuously and does not overheat, because the cooling of the motor is not by the built-in fan, but directly by the running water stream. The wet rotor motor configuration makes the pressure booster models compact and robust.
- Economical power consumption;
- three modes of operation;
- Can be installed against the wall or the floor;
- compact dimensions 195h150h132 mm.
- Is more expensive than more powerful analogues.
Grundfos UPA 15-90 (120 W)
Top 6 is completed by a 120W pump for up to 8m of head pressure. It is connected to the water system through a 3/4″ external thread. Wet rotor is effectively cooled by the liquid flow itself and does not need a fan. The housing of the station is made of cast iron and weighs 2.6 kg without stress on the pipes. “Baby” is able to develop pressure up to 6 bar and support both the work of the extraction points in the form of taps, and washing machine or dishwasher. In reviews, the product is praised for the quiet murmur of the impeller motor and is recommended for use in vacation homes that are not connected to the city water supply. But for a large cottage is better to look for another model.
It is one of the most compact pumps for pressure boosting. Its installation length is 160 mm, when competitors have this parameter 170-195 mm. In addition to small dimensions that make it easy to find a place for tapping, the unit stands out for its ability to operate with liquids at temperatures up to +95º C. It allows you to use the station to increase the pressure not only in the water supply, but even in the heating system.
- The flow direction designation on the body makes it easy to make the right connection;
- There are automatic and manual modes;
- Economical power consumption;
- compact size 160x113x119 mm.
- Doesn’t all start in auto mode;
- Must not be used in wet rooms due to its sealing class IP22.