Armstrong suspended ceilings – universal finish, suitable for both offices and shops and residential premises. Looks like this ceiling beautifully, mounted quickly, it is relatively cheap. I want to immediately say that the manufacturers are completely and next to say that Armstrong is a new word in design, but it is not.
Cassette (tile-cellular) ceilings were widely used in the Soviet Union, however, not in residential, but in industrial premises. Under such ceilings, you can successfully hide to hide any communications – wiring, ventilation.
Consider details Armstrong ceilings features.
Armstrong suspended ceilings can be divided into five basic classes. To understand with what materials you will deal, ask the seller a manufacturer’s certificate. It should contain all the technical characteristics of the ceiling plates.
Such covers are divided into the following types:
- Economy class. As plates used mineral-organic plates that do not have such advantages like moisture resistance or thermal insulation. True, they stand a little. Most economy class models have a large color assortment and look neat and beautiful. The main thing is not to use them in rawroom facilities.
- Ceiling class “Prima”. Excellent technical characteristics – moisture resistance, durability, strength, combined with a variety of colors and reliefs. Such plates are made of metal, plastic, acrylic and other durable materials. Producers give a guarantee for such products for at least 10 years.
- Acoustic. Such ceilings with stove thickness up to 22 mm are needed where it is necessary to ensure noise reduction. These are reliable strong ceilings with a long service life.
- Hygienic. Made from special moisture resistant materials with antibacterial properties.
- Special Category – Designer Ceilings. Can be very different and materials with various textures.
Armstrong ceiling plates are also different in the installation method: a classic way when the plate is embedded from the inside into the frame and the modern version, when the plates are installed outside (they are snapped into the frame at easy pressing).
Pros and cons
The ceiling Armstrong has many advantages:
- A huge variety of panels for suspended ceilings allows you to choose the appropriate color, texture, thickness, and size for any room;
- This finish is perfect for a large room;
- The ceiling will perfectly cope with the insulation of the room, since light insulation can be laid in the space between the main ceiling and suspension;
- Moisture resistance of the ceiling depends on the quality of tiles. Most ceilings of the “Prima” class of humidity are not afraid;
- If your ceiling is not perfect and there are cracks, seams, height differences and other defects, then the ArmStrong finish will be an excellent solution to the problem;
- Wiring, ventilation and other communications are easiest to hide in the design of the ceiling ArmStrong;
- The installation of the suspended ceiling can be performed by itself;
- If some of the tiles will be corrupted, then you can independently replace the element;
- Finishing materials used in the design of the Armstrong ceiling, in its overwhelming majority are easily clean and even wash;
- Tiled panels Eco-friendly and safe for man. Neither plastic nor mineral panels emit harmful substances, they do not smell and do not destroy from heat or sun rays;
- The design does not exert excess pressure on the overlap;
- The ArmStrong ceiling has good sound insulation characteristics.
Of course, such a finish has some minuses:
- The stylistics is not always suitable for finishing an apartment or a private house, as it looks like “office”;
- The use of cheap materials will lead to the fact that the panels will last long. They are easily scratched or damaged from any random strike;
- The design of the ceiling is inevitable “eating” part of the height of the room.
The ceiling device is a suspension system consisting of a frame, suspended system and tiles. The frame is made of light alloys, the total weight will depend on the area of the room (the greater the area, the hardest design), but in general, the load on the overlap is very small.
Design can be mounted almost on any ceiling.
The height of the room plays a big role.
remember, that Ceiling Armstrong “Eat” at least 15 centimeters of height. Designers recommend using suspended ceilings in rooms with a height of at least 2.5 m. If in a small low room, they are needed (hide wiring or ventilation), then be sure to consider the use of mirror panels. Mirrored panels will visually increase the height of the room.
The technical characteristics of the suspended frame elements are as follows:
- support profiles T15 and T24 type, length of GOST 3.6 meters;
- cross-type profiles T15 and T24, the length of GOST 0.6 and 1.2 meters;
- Profile Angle 19 \ 24.
The suspension system consists of:
- Springpit (string) to support profiles by which you can adjust the height of the frame. Standard knitting needles (strings) of two types – spokes with an eye on the end and crochet spokes at the end.
- Spring butterflies with 4 holes.
After installing the frame and the suspension system, you can mount the most important part – the plates (finishing). Plates can be of different sizes, but most often found standard squares with an area of 1 m².
The ceiling consists of a set of elements (profiles and panels) that are easy to combine. Therefore, for such a ceiling, the size does not matter, difficulties may occur only with nonlinear planes. Proper fastening of aluminum or galvanized profiles to walls and ceiling – Pledge of durability of the whole design. There is nothing complicated here, but on some details it is worth stopping.
A set of tools that may need you, small: pliers, perforation drill, scissors for metal, dowel and hammer. Profile length usually does not exceed 4 meters. By the way, if you need profiles less (or greater) length, then almost always you can order them from the seller or manufacturer, in this case you do not have to mess with cutting or increasing.
It is important to understand that different materials of the base ceiling dictate us and the choice of different fasteners details.
So, stone surfaces or silicate blocks require the use of a dowel of at least 50 mm. 40 mm dowels with a diameter of 6 mm are suitable for concrete or brick floors. With wooden floors, it is easier – a suspension frame for such a ceiling can be fixed and with the help of screws.
Plate fastening will not be difficult even for a beginner master. Before installing, it is recommended to check all the angles between the guides (they must be exactly 90 degrees). After that, the panels are installed, the crying of them into the hole “edge”. Next, give panels horizontal position and gently omit them to the profile.
note that If the edges of the plates turned out to be visible, this indicates errors when installing a frame. Unfortunately, it often happens that the plates need to trim.
Installation of such plates must be made at the final stage of the work when everyone else is already in the cassettes. Watch that the wall has turned out to be smooth, And if necessary, use the ceiling plinth. It will give the completeness and accuracy of the whole design.
Mounting frame and assembly
Most often, installation is carried out by firms selling mounted ceilings, as they include this service in the price of the whole design. However, many home masters are taken for the installation of the ceiling Armstrong do it yourself.
We offer you a step-by-step instruction of the installation of the mounted ceiling, which will help you easily master the preparation technology and quickly assemble the design:
- Before starting the installation of the ceiling, you must complete all the work on the laying of communications.
- Start the installation with markup, defining the starting point. To do this, from the lowest angle down, mark the distance corresponding to the height of the suspension. Minimum indent – 15 cm. It all depends on the size and number of communications that will be hidden inside the suspension design.
- Now it is necessary to establish a L-shaped profile with a cross section of 24×19 around the perimeter of the walls. To do this, make marking with a folding cord. It is easy to do it yourself – the cord needs to be smeared with a special coloring element (you can use ordinary graphite), attach to the tags in the corners and “disconnect”. Now we can see the level of our new ceiling.
- The starting profile (corner) is attached to the wall of the dowels that need to choose depending on which material they will be installed – concrete, brick, wood or stone. Distance between dowels usually 500 mm. In the corners, cutting off with a metal hacksaw.
- The next step is to define the center of the room. The easiest way is to pull ropes from opposite corners. The place of intersection and will be the center of the room.
- I depose from the center in each direction 1.2 meters – in these places carrier profiles will be installed.
- Fastening the supporting profiles of the cross section of T24 or T15 to the ceiling is carried out using suspensions. The length of the carrier profiles is standard – 3.6 meters, but if this length is not enough, the profiles can be connected using special locks.
- After the carrier profiles are fixed, begin the installation of transverse. To do this, in the supporting profiles there are special slits, where and it is necessary to insert transverse. By the way, they can be both short (0.6 m) and long (1.2 m).
Frame design in the form of cells with cells is ready, you can install a tile. Technology installation of tiles as a whole is simple and described above, features are available only at the installation scheme of the ceiling plates of a closed type. For such ceilings, special profiles are used (with a hole in the bottom shelf of the profile).
The edges of the panels to the characteristic click are inserted into it. Plates can be moved by profiles.
If you need to install lamps in the suspended ceiling, then you should determine the need to install the lamps of the defined type (swivel or fixed), their power and the overall style of the room. If you decide to use swivel lamps, then all the wiring and the lighting devices themselves are recommended to “collect” before installing the plates. However, Today there is a large selection of embedded lighting devices – they replace some number of panels. Installing ready-made embedded luminaires is simple and generally similar to installation of tiled finish.
Calculation of materials
It should be started by calculating the length of a wounded corner. We fold all the lengths of the walls where the corner will be fastened. Do not forget to add speakers and niches. The amount must be divided by the length of one corner. For example, if the perimeter of the room is 25 m, and the length of one profile is 3 meters, the number of the parts we need will be 8.33333 … the number is rounded into the biggest. Outcome – we will need 9 corners.
Great assistance in calculations has drawing of guides (basic and transverse) – you can see the immediate location of the elements.
Well, if the sceneled system frame accommodates an integer number of cells, but it rarely happens. Sometimes designers use the “trick” with components of different sizes, having, for example, in the center of the room are large the same panels, and around the perimeter of the walls – small panels. But if you are engaged in the suspension of the design yourself, then you will have to simply arrange the cropped items in one or both ends of the room.
In order to make a decision on where you will have “incomplete” cells, it is necessary directly in the scheme to divide the ceiling area into squares. Standard Cells – 60 kV. cm. Calculate the number of squares that you succeed, including “incomplete cells”. Delete the number of panels, instead of which lamps will be installed.
Now you can calculate the number of guides that will be located across the room, ranging from the wall. If you see that the length of the room is not divided into the smooth number of the guides and you have a little piece, then It is necessary to try to place “incomplete cells” from the other side where they will not rush into the eyes.
If work with the drawing causes difficulties, a simple formula will help. It is necessary to calculate the ceiling area (multiply the length of the width).
For each ceiling element, we will need an individual coefficient.
The coefficient for the tile is 2.78. For the main profile – 0.23, and for transverse – 1.4. Side coefficients – 0.7. So, if the area of the room is 30 meters, then the tiles will need 84 pieces, while the thickness of her role does not play.
According to the size of the entire ceiling, the number of lamps are calculated. Standard – one on 5 square meters.
Armstrong ceiling design is universal and suitable for accommodation both in public buildings and in private houses and apartments.
Offices and shopping centers with large squares, hospitals and schools – Armstrong ceiling will serve faithfully in these rooms for many years. Place placing usually standard – they are all the same and alternate only with lighting elements. Sometimes you can meet a chess or linear combination of matte and mirror surfaces.
The placement of finishing plates in residential premises allows you to experiment with textures, colors and sizes. In modern interiors of kitchens and bathrooms Popular finishing with plates of contrasting colors, For example, black and white, blue and orange, yellow and brown. The combinations of gray and white also do not come out of fashion. Placement of tiles in the design of Armstrong can be any – “chess”, chaotic color spots, brighter plates around the lamps, brighter tiles in the center and dark on the edges – the complexity of the total tiled pattern is limited, perhaps only the size of the room.
For bedrooms and halls suitable combination of mirror and ordinary tiles. Speecually watch acrylic tiles with backlit from the inside.
- When installing plates in the cassettes, make all the work in clean fabric gloves, as stains from the hands can remain on the plates;
- Creation or unevenly lying plate should be raised and laid again, but it is impossible to press the plates to elements of the suspension – the finishing material may break;
- Heavy lamps are best set on their own suspension systems;
- As soon as the lamp is installed, you must immediately connect the wiring to it;
- Built-in luminaires require an increase in the number of conventional suspensions;
- If the finished mounting nodes are too large, then they can be replaced by homemade;
- In the kitchen premises, it is preferable to install washable ceiling;
- Armstrong ceiling perfectly combines with insulation at home, for which any light insulation is laid between the basement and suspension.
The process of mounting the suspended ceiling Armstrong you can see in this video.