Many beginner repairmen or those who independently decided to make repairs in their home or apartment, are asked about whether the gypsum can be used before putty.
An unambiguous answer to this question is worth. Why – we will understand in detail in this article.
What do you need a primer?
Gypsum Carton must be primed. So that no doubt about this no longer arise, we will understand why surfaces are soaked. In general, the primer solution is used to improve the quality of finishing works.
This result is achieved in connection with the following primer properties:
- Filling fine cracks and dents, which makes the surface more even, eliminating damage drywall applied during installation;
- Antifungal and antitlamp impact will protect the finishing finish and your health from these pests;
- Additional strengthening and protection of plasterboard;
- Improving the clutch of surfaces, which makes it easier to stick wallpaper, tiles and paint staining.
Thus, we can see that the primer of the drywall is not only possible, but the necessary stage of surface treatment before shtchelivation. But there are exceptions.
Do not handle only moisture-resistant plasterboard, labeled by the manufacturer as G Clac. Such material already has all the advantages that primer gives. In addition, due to moisture-repellent properties, it will simply not be absorbed into this basis, gathering drops on the surface. Such plasterboard is usually used to repair a bathroom or other rooms with high humidity.
Also do not be primed by plasterboard, if you are going to apply the finish putty on it. It is very elastic and has a high degree of stickiness, and it is simply impossible to apply it for moisture-repellent primer, it is simply impossible, which makes the subsequent grinding.
Please note that the primer does not really cover the walls with a film, overlapping the circulation of oxygen, its structure is more like a grid that the base.
Primer before laying tiles is applied in mandatory, better in two layers. The only thing that can be given tolerance is not so much to equalize the putty, since the tile itself is equal material.
The adhesion of the drywall before sticking the wallpaper significantly simplifies their dismantling subsequently when you want to change them.
From the above, the answer to the question is whether the gypsum can be used before putty, plaster or other works – unequivocal. Decisively worth it if you want to get high-quality durable repairs.
Types of soil
Deciding that the plasterboard still should be pricked, consider what kind of primer do we have to choose for this.
Among the variety of materials, primer mixtures are distinguished in three large groups, which are distinguished by the properties of mixtures and the area of their application. It is very important to choose exactly such a mixture that will suit specifically to your requirements. The quality of future coverage depends on this largely.
Consider existing types of primers:
- Contact mixes. Such primers are used to improve the clutch of materials with each other. They are used to treat smooth surfaces, for example, concrete or metal, which simplifies their further processing, for example, painting, as significantly increases the clutch of the base with trim.
- Primerix mixes. This is a suspension of particles similar in composition with the material that will subsequently processed surface. Such mixtures significantly reduce the consumption of materials used during trim.
- Penetrating mixtures (penetron). This primer deep penetrates the surface of the material, strengthening it and improving adhesion with subsequent layers. It is this kind of primer and is used in working with plasterboard.
Consider the properties of the latter Read more.
The soil, after applying to plasterboard, performs the following functions:
- Aligns the absorbing properties of the base throughout the surface area. Thus, when applying paint or putty, the layer will be more uniform.
- Penetrates deep inside the porous base, which helps when working with joints.
- Prevents the sticking of materials in lumps when applied to the surface.
- After drying, it does not interact with water, which is especially important if there will be a water-level paint after the priming.
Thus, the ground mixture improves the structure of plasterboard, protects against fungi and mold, increases the adhesion and waterproofing of the surface. All this makes any repair better and durable.
Criterias of choice
To the choice of material for primer should be approached very carefully. First of all, attention should be paid to the price. If the price of a mixture is two times less than the price of the same primer of famous manufacturers, it is not necessary to rejoice and choose low cost. In this case, like construction, miserly pays twice. It is better to choose a checked than cheaper manufacturer.
If you for some reason, it is still necessary to save on the ground mixture, choose concentrated solutions produced by well-known, well-proven firms. The problem with such a mixture is that before applying it, it is necessary to breed in the desired amount of water, which is indicated on the package in the application method.
In addition to the price and manufacturer’s company, you should pay attention to the shelf life of the mixture. If the mixture is no longer suitable or the term is about to expire, it can no longer have the properties stated by the manufacturer, then your money and efforts will be wasted.
It is worth paying attention to whether the mixture has special substances, Warning of mold and fungi. Such information should be signed on the package or check with the seller. Typically, manufacturers allocate this property of the product especially, and detect the presence of biomoshtics in the primer mixture is very easy.
The basis of various primer mixtures uses various substances that determine their properties and scope:
- The most universal is an acrylic mixture. Ideal for priming drywall. In addition, such a mixture is easy to find odorless, which is a huge plus when used indoors.
- The mixture based on phenol should not be applied to putty. It is most often used when priming metal and wood. Such mixtures should be used to use indoors.
- Perchlorvinyl and polystyrene are used only for outdoor decoration, it is categorically not reconcally apply them in the room.
- Alkid-based mixtures are applied only on a tree.
- Polyvinila acetate mixtures are applied only with paints on the same basis.
- Gift mixes are very strong, but are suitable for use only in premises with good ventilating.
For the priming of drywall, a mixture based on acrylic, which is usually marked with a manufacturer with a mark “under the wallpaper”.
A common misconception in relation to primer mixtures is the opinion that the primer suitable for facade work cannot be applied from the inside due to poisonousness of the material. This is wrong. Primer for outdoor work is simply more resistant to adverse conditions, so in the room there will be even more durable.
Summing up, we can say that when choosing a soil mixture, first of all, attention should be paid to the composition, manufacturer and shelf life. Following all these factors, you will receive a quality product that meets all the requirements for achieving the perfect result.
Preparation of plasterboard
Apply primer immediately after mounting drywall – one of the gross mistakes, which one can be allowed when repairing the room. Preparation of the surface requires a thorough approach.
Before priming the surface, follows:
- Crop the seams of sheets of plasterboard on the chamfer;
- Ensure that all self-tapping screws are recessed into the material and do not protrude above the surface;
- The surface under processing must be cleaned of a soft tassel from dust, which does not lose hairs. Please note that after processing the ground, all the major trash will suck with it, and it will be impossible to remove it;
- On the seams should be attached the reinforcing grid.
Now that all work on the preparation of the foundation is made, it is possible to crime to the next stage.
Before starting directly priming, you need to choose the right tool to be done by work. This is usually a soft roller, a brush for hard-to-reach places and a raner tray.
The primer is divorced in a clean container according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, which are indicated on the package. First of all, with the help of a brush, you should go through the mixture of all angles, joints of the material, as well as the place of drowning of selflessness. After all these operations and drying, the seams are put off. After the putty on the seams dried, another layer of the soil is already applied to the entire surface.
If high quality primer, one layer will be enough. During application, be careful, avoid the materials of the material if they are formed, the putty in this place will fall unevenly.
While the layer of primer will dry, it is impossible to put a putty, it is very important. Do not hurry to do everything as quickly as possible, there is a rush only to harm the process. Typically, the time of complete drying of the primer is about 8 hours, after which the surface is put off.
To simplify the work, you can use the step-by-step instructions:
- Divide the ground mixture with water in the proportions indicated on the label.
- Pour out a total capacity of a small amount of primer into a greasy tray, and a taste of good quality Complete all the seams and irregularities of drywall.
- Wait for the primer drying (depending on the manufacturer from 8 to 24 hours), and slip joints.
- Ginger the covered surface, then apply the total layer of soil using a roller.
After processing the surface with putty, let it dry, then we apply on top of the extra layer of soil to secure the result. This uses only acrylic mixtures that do not damage the putty. When the primer coating dries, the dust is absolutely not worth. It is impossible to sweep, run or any other way to raise dirt. As mentioned above, sticking to the low layer, unwanted elements will remain there forever, it will be impossible to remove them after drying.
The process of priming the ceiling is practically no different from what you do with walls. Before processing the surface of the ceiling, it is also necessary to cleanse the remains of the previous coatings. Is that for convenience it is worth lengthen the roller handle so that you can safely carry out work without using a stepladder. Naturally, all the corners and protrusions on the ceiling are properly drunk.
The layer of primer both on the ceiling and on the walls should be something between “dry” and “drip”. This result will help you to achieve a properly selected tool. And in no case neglect the painting bath. It will help you very much in the process of proper application of the primer mixture to the surface.
Consumption with proper application of the mixture is approximately 100 grams per 1 m2. From this simple formula, it is easy to calculate how much the soil mixture you will need to cover the entire surface.
Specialists recommend using some tips for proper performance.
- To easily be able to understand which areas the primer mixture has already been applied, you can add a weak dye to it. Mix themselves are usually transparent in themselves, which makes it difficult to uniform damping.
- To distinguish with the eye penetrating primer from strengthening, dip your brush into it and spend on the wall. Penetrating absorb on the basis, and the strengthening will leave a kind of film trail. In addition, the strengthening primer is a liquid similar to milk.
- Choose primer mixtures of proven manufacturers, such as “Knauf”, “Cerezit”, “Tikkurila” and other famous firms.
- Before starting work with the primer, secure glass windows, clothing and skin, since the primer mixture after drying is almost impossible to remove from surfaces.
- Work necessarily in a protective mask. Breathing with construction chemistry is harmful enough.
- Apply a layer of soil on putty follows only after it is aligned. After you are loaded it, the leveling process will become impossible.
- Experienced specialists warn that whatever time has been installed by the manufacturer, it is better to be restrained, and give primer to dry at least 12 hours.
As can be seen from this article, the process of priming drywall is simple. Any novice builder will cope with it.
On the intricacies of applying primer on plasterboard before putty, see next video.