Currently, mosaic technique is used to decorate houses to make them more original. Mosaic can be used both indoors and outdoors. Therefore it is very important to know the subtleties of laying mosaic.
Mosaic decorated buildings for thousands of years. For example, glass was used in mosaics back in 2500 BC, but the glass tiles were not represented until the third century BC, when the Byzantine artists created opaque glass tiles, called Smalti, and used them for decorating walls, ceilings, storage facades churches and public buildings. Only very rich people could afford to use material for private residences.
It continued to the Victorian era, when glass tiles appeared in mass production, which were much cheaper in production and, therefore, became available for middle-class houses. In the movement in the style of the Ar-Deco 1920s, a pigmented structural glass mosaic (the most famous brand – Vitrolite) gave a smooth modern view of the walls on the windows, train stations and in many ways.
Today, the mosaic consists of a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and can be used almost in any room in the house. It is most often made of high humidity sustainable materials and temperature changes. High wear resistance allows you to use a mosaic decor in various places. Mosaic tile looks like a cladding: Her high strength is inherent. Aesthetic appearance of the product is preserved for a long time.
Mosaic tile can be cut into pieces of desired length and width – it simplifies the laying in difficult places. A large assortment of mosaic allows you to create any decorative panel, an interesting pattern.
There are three main types of mosaic: glass, ceramic, stone. Each view has its own characteristics and technology of production, so it is important to familiarize yourself with the Read more.
- Glass mosaic. It adds extravagant color and shine to the interior, but will only be visible on the substrate. Mosaic happens from matte glass. Such a mosaic is flattering, a more opaque alternative to transparent glass. Bubble glass is also popular in the manufacture of mosaic. This option consists of small air bubbles in glass, which adds visual interest in the interior. Glass mosaic may also look like a crystal. It is made of glass, which resembles precious stones – is best used as an accent on certain parts of the wall or floor.
- Ceramic mosaic. It is made of glass powder, pressed into the stamps and heats up until the particles merge. This expensive material is suitable for finishing any area of the house. Mosaic covered with glossy icing or remains matte. The laying of ceramic mosaic allows you to get a relief non-slip surface. Ceramics is resistant to mechanical damage and abrasive detergents.
- Stone mosaic. This is a multi-layered, multi-colored mosaic made of quartz slices, marble crumbs, granite, slate or travertine. This material is very durable, so it is used not only for wall decoration, but also for floors. Stone mosaic has a natural aesthetics, gives the room a special style. There is also a stone mosaic made under the tree. Wooden tile is perfect for decorating outdoor designs.
What to choose?
The choice of mosaic depends on its location.
- Most Popular Home Use Mosaic – Bathrooms and Kitchens. But the material is not limited to a shower or apron in the kitchen.
- The sides and the bottom of the swimming pools with the ladder may include stunning, thoughtful designs made of glass mosaic. Such an option adds shine of light, it reflects the light and the beautiful view of the water is obtained, if you look at it with a small height. This is the main reason for using glass mosaic in the shower, kitchens, pools and spa salons.
- It is ideal for water sides, such as fountains, where glass tiles may seem gentle, almost essential.
- Glass mosaic can also decorate exterior benches and separate artistic installations.
To decorate surfaces, you can use a mosaic in combination with ceramics and metal, because it gives a matte, opaque surface.
There are even Mosaic wallpaper: Small tiles collected in modules that make it easier to repetition of drawings on the walls. Such tiles can be applied both flat and curved surfaces, so they are used instead of wallpaper.
There are Mosaic mats: Tiny, perfectly formed handmade glass tiles attached to a flexible surface that create classic carpet models, such as vine options and leaves. The strength of the surface means that the rugs can be placed in the entrances and other zones with high patency, or you can also hang them on the wall like tapestries.
Many experts recommend using experienced professionals for laying a mosaic, but you can do it yourself. Previously need to make a “dry” layout of mosaic and labeling each piece. This is necessary to accurately determine the location of the elements and ensure color matching.
Having an estimated pattern to the surface, it is worth checking that pieces of tiles be fixed with a sticky tape and numbered – it will facilitate the further assembly of the ornament.
After layout creates a sketch.
When developing a pattern of mosaic tiles, it is necessary to take into account some nuances.
- It is advisable to arrange the pattern of the most illuminated area or from the center of the image. Pieces of mosaic should be placed on the edges or in inner corners, in inconspicuous parts.
- If there are external angles, the layout of the image begins with them. The priority element to start work is any decorative element of the room: panel, mirror, niche.
- After laying, numbering and creating a detailed sketch, mosaic sheets should be carefully folded back into the boxes. On the wall or on the floor, it is necessary to note the boundaries of the mosaic pattern, the laser line will be useful for this purpose.
It is necessary to prepare the following tools:
- moisture-resistant primer with antifungal effect;
- sticky composition;
- The device for grouting;
- rubberized spatula for alignment and pressing plates;
- toothed spatula;
- Roller for pouring the surface;
- Construction mixer for uniform kneading glue;
- Glue preparation tray.
It should be mixed in accordance with the following rules, only so the tiles of mosaic will stay long:
- The container pours water on the tray and add a dry mixture;
- The solution is mixed twice with an interval of 60 seconds;
- The duration of the first kneading should be 5 minutes.
How to put it yourself?
Montage Mosaic is a simple, but a painstaking lesson, which usually makes masters, but you can try and put small tiles on your own.
The sequence of laying mosaic plates is as follows:
- On the prepared surface for applying adhesive solution should be gear spathers. At one time, it is necessary to cover the area, which can be polished for half an hour;
- It is necessary to apply a mosaic leaf and slightly press. For a uniform distribution of glue surface can be drilled by roller. It is important to make sure that the distance between the squares remains unchanged and the glue does not penetrate the front of the mosaic. To save the gaps between the elements on the same level, you need to use cross;
- It is necessary to carefully remove the film and leave the glue to dry for one or two days. Excess adhesive solution should be removed after half an hour after fixing the mosaic, because it will be difficult to do it later.
Loads on the tile are allowed only after final drying and fixing the mosaic. The order of grouting seams is as follows:
- need to prepare a spatula, following the instructions on the package;
- For ease of cleaning tiles from traces of grouting, the surface must first be processed by protective sprays. After 20-30 minutes you can start wipe the seams.
- A solution should be applied to the spatula and wide movements, moving diagonally, fill the seams. The spatula must be slightly pressed so that the solution was slightly below the mosaic level;
- the solution should be slightly moistened so that it does not get into the water and did not crack. You can use a wet sponge or a small spray, which watered flowers;
- After 20 minutes, when the solution will slightly freeze, the excessive mixture should be removed, passing the coating with a wet solid sponge. The remains of baked cement dust can be removed using a 5% sulfuric acid solution;
- need to rinse the mosaic with clean water immediately after grinding.
Important! If the tile is used to create a kitchen apron, then it is necessary to note by the level of the lower edge of the apron. It is he who will be decisive in the smooth location of the mosaic. Need to fasten the profile with dimensions 27×28 cm to the wall. Profile acts as support. Due to its presence, the tile will not slide.
How to properly carry out the laying of mosaics, look in the following video.
Tips and recommendations
Mosaic options offer a unique appearance and unsurpassed brilliance compared to other materials for floors, walls and countertops. Transparent tiles can add an unusual effect of depth on the surface that does not reach other materials. Mosaic is also resistant to stains, mold and allergens. They are easily wiping and not stained.
It should be understood that the glossy mosaic surface will leave fingerprints. On such a surface, the tracks appear more clearly than on dull surfaces, therefore, frequent cleaning may be required to maintain a smooth shine. There are some mosaic options that will scratch over time.
In addition, if we consider the tile for the bathroom or the floor for the shower, it is worth it in mind that the mosaic can be slippery and felt colder under the legs, Unlike conventional porcelain or ceramic tiles. Of course, the use of mosaic on the floor of the soul makes it easier to create a slope, and a special solution between smaller pieces gives him some grip. But depending on how smooth and polished surface, it can be slippery.
The use of a special sealant after installation is one of the solutions to this problem. It is recommended to use glass walls for walls and limit its use on floors by accents and design borders.
Mosaic can be made of 100 percent recycled post-consumer glass or from “post-industrial” glass: that is, it is broken pieces as a result of the production of other glass products. The use of recycled material eliminates energy costs for the production of completely new materials. In addition, less energy is usually used to repeated glass than the creation of glass plates from zero. Therefore, the mosaic is well tolerated by people with chemical sensitivity.
To get the best environmental result, it is worth buying a 100 percent recycled mosaic. You can search for a local supplier who sells broken tiles.
Mosaic coverage in the bathroom should periodically be processed by special fungicidal agents. This must be done if the ventilation does not cope with its task. To clean, it is desirable to choose gel-like detergents without abrasive components. Contaminated sections of the panel can be wiped with a soft sponge moistened in soapy water. At the end, rinse with water and wipe dry.
The surface of the mosaic cannot be rubbed with oil substances, with phosphoric acid and wax.
With the help of a mosaic, you can give the second life to old things. Square or rectangular tables are the most simple to decorate the mosaic tiles. Although mosaic or other small tiles can be used on a round surface with a smooth surface.
If an individual design is planned, you must first lay out the tile to know exactly how it will look. For a table that will be used outside, you should apply more glue into the center so that it is slightly higher than the parties.
The use of tiles around the edges of the mirror will create an attractive and unique frame. If this is a mirror in the bathroom, you can use the same color scheme as the tile in the shower. There are several ways to decorate the mirror. Need to apply tiles directly to the surface, draw around the mirror the border and hang the mirror. To glue the tiles directly to the mirror, it is worth using a 100% silicone sealant. But you can see the opposite side of the tiles reflected in the mirror, so it is better to use a transparent sealant and tiles with a dark side.
If the tile is located around the mirror, the solution should be applied directly to the tiles and attach them to the wall. Thus, the excess glue on the walls will not be obtained, which will be difficult then to clean.
Mosaic tile is one of the most popular and widely used tiles on the market. It is used to give a beautiful and original look at the houses.
To create solid interiors for your home, you can cover half or whole walls with these plates. Find a mosaic that suits your taste will be an easy task. If you want to buy a tile on the whole wall, mosaic tiles are great to create accents in the room. It is worth installing mosaic inserts into squares along the painted wall or insert them into the working surface in the kitchen.
Mosaic tiles can also be used to create a decorative part inside the frame on any wall or for framing a mirror or window. Whatever style is chosen, you can try to create the border of the mosaic tile around the edge of the floor. When the border is selected, you should thoroughly think about the form of space and make sure that the area is broken, without looking at it.
Mosaic really helps create beautiful floors. Whether outdoor covers in the bathroom, in the living room or in the backyard, you can use correctly selected tiles to create attractive floors and tracks.
You can use mosaic tiles in the shower area to give it a luxurious look and charming attractiveness. When the place looks beautiful, the shower automatically becomes more pleasant. In the bathroom, for example, mosaic tiles can be used to create an attractive wall decor. More complex images and projects can also be created in the bathroom. Of course, if there is a desire to create a cohesive interior design, you can cover the whole wall mosaic.
Splash splash is practical elements in the room where there are plenty of water or couple, such as bathroom or kitchen. Their main function is to prevent water damage to water, but it does not mean that they cannot be beautiful. It is recommended to use mosaic tiles in one color block to contrast or supplement the color scheme in the rest of the room.
In addition, it is worth choosing a fat pattern to create a decorative point of interest. Mosaic tiled parts should not be simply rectangular; You need to show a creative approach and create a curved or reverse splash, which will attract attention to other features in the room.
The kitchen is considered the heart of the house. You can use mosaic tiles on the table top or create Backsplash design. These tiles will undoubtedly add the kitchen of a new charm. In the kitchen Mosaic is the focus of the whole decor. That is why mosaic tiles are an excellent option. You can use them to create something complicated.
Another option is to use mosaic tiles as purely decorative elements and create interesting projects, mosaic can also be cutting that it will give her an interesting species. Mosaic, located around the windows, can be perfectly used and for decorating key kitchen places. If the kitchen is pretty spacious to place the island, that is, the ability to also include mosaic tiles in your design. In this case, you can not be afraid of mosaic chips.
To make an inner courtyard more interesting and visually attractive, you can surround yourself with bright colors and patterns. It is worth putting a mosaic to the floor. It is recommended to use pebbles or tiles. For design in the style of the beach you can taste another mosaic. You should use large stones or blocking and allow the grass to grow through them. Need to position them in a spiral form around the fireplace to imitate the sink. This option is suitable for warm weather conditions.
Mosaic path from the broken tile option perfectly complements the modern house. It is also interesting to compare the materials and the interaction of wood and stone. You can put them in turn. Mosaic thickness can be different. Although it is quite unusual, but you can also use a mosaic on the fence to make it more interesting.
You can only lay out the mosaic on concrete fences with a smooth surface.
The modern courtyard is distinguished by a very relaxed and relaxed design, as well as a gorgeous view. Seats, of course, unusual, with white mosaic with gold accents on the grid. This is a wonderful mosaic laying idea for a frequent house. Plants will always make the house beautiful, but if it is decided to create planters from mosaic, the beauty of the house increases four times.
If you want to repair your home or build a new one, you should think about the use of mosaic stoves to add beauty and grace in the house. This will help create a decor that will satisfy the wishes of the owner.