Despite the continued replenishment of the building market with new paintwork samples, known to many generations of Serebryanka still remains a kind of leader among metal dyes and some other surfaces.
This paint does not contain a single milligram of silver and is a grinding aluminum powder having a characteristic silver color. From here and the commonly intentional name – “Serebryanka”. In practice, this is nothing but aluminum powder. Two fractions of such powders from aluminum – Pap-1 and Pap-2.
Also known another variety of metal powder having a golden color. It is made of bronze, so it should not be confused with aluminum powder dye. Bronze powder, diluted with varnish or oil, gives painted gold color.
Methods for making aluminum dye
The difference between these two fractions of silver is the degree of grinding of aluminum, therefore PAP-1 is characterized by a somewhat larger particle size. However, On the quality of the color of the surfaces, the degree of grinding is not reflected in any way.
A method of breeding dry aluminum powder has a much greater importance. To obtain a finished dye from it, various, mostly alkyd and acrylic varnishes, solvents and enamels are applied.
If desired, for the purpose of its breeding, you can use paint solvents with the addition of ions. Such a dye is used when painting inland walls.
Both powder can be mixed with one of varieties of varnish or breed by synthetic oil. The main difference between PAP-1 and PAP-2 when preparing them consists in compliance with the proportion between powder and solvent:
- For dilution PAP-1, BT-577 varnish is used in relation to 2 to 5. Paint prepared in such a way can withstand heating up to 400 degrees Celsius and at the same time not to burn. For mixing, varnish is poured into a pre-fastened aluminum powder into the container.
- For the preparation of PAP-2 fraction, proportions are used 1 to 3 or 1 to 4. Bred it on a olife or any famous varnish under the condition of thorough mixing. But it must be borne in mind that as a result of this mixing, the paint is collapsed, forming a sufficiently thick mass, unsuitable for use. Therefore, its further breeding is required to bring to a state called by painting consistency. The further degree of dye yields should be chosen, depending on the method that it will be applied – roller, spray gun, tassel and similar tools.
For dilution, paint uses a mixture of two or more solvents such as White Spirit, Schipidar, solvent or some one of them. If it is supposed to spray silver, then the metal powder and solvent must be mixed in equal proportions, while the ratio 2 to 1 is suitable for roller and painting brush.
If the paint is divorced by the synthetic oil, then the fundamental differences from dilution with varnishes in the process of its preparation is practically no. The same applies to compliance with proportional ratios.
As for the shelf life, it is practically unlimited for the metallic powder itself, while the divorced composition can be kept no more than six months.
Operating characteristics of such paint compositions are largely dependent on the type of varnish or enamels that are used for their preparation. But there are certain qualities that are equally characteristic of this type of coloring compounds:
- All of them are able to create a barrier effect in the form of a fine durable film on stained surfaces. It becomes a reliable protective barrier from the penetration of moisture and other aggressive external influences.
- Aluminum powder dye has a reflective ability. This property reflect ultraviolet solar radiation allows you to protect against overheating in hot weather surfaces of buildings and structures painted by aluminum powder.
- The protective qualities of painting compositions based on aluminum powder are equally significant. They are not subject to corrosion and reliably fall into the surface in the surface, adapting to it.
On sale this dye comes in the form of a metal powder. Its to obtain the required dye is required to mix with the appropriate paintwork diluent.
There are also ready-made painting mixes. The latter is stirred and, if necessary, diluted with any solvent to give them the necessary painting consistency. Silver sold in paint buckets or in banks, as well as in aerosol can.
Aerosol packaging is distinguished by great convenience in operation and storage. When using aerosol paints, there is no need for additional painting equipment. In the same aerosol form, acrylic or other painting water-based compositions are supplied.
Powder coloring compositions are used in the greatest demand for the preparation of finishing mixtures with their own hands and aerosol packages. They can have a different tinting used when staining small on the surface area or used when decorating walls.
Advantages and disadvantages
The material has the following advantages:
- The popularity of silver enamel without decisions due to decades is due to its characteristics as the convenience of applying. Usually, this dye falls without drowsing with a smooth layer on a pre-prepared surface. Even when painting silver vertical or inclined surfaces such as walls or rods, the drips are practically not formed.
- Painted surfaces of the surface differ in considerable strength. The coloring substance falls on the surface with a uniform layer, which, after drying, forms a thin film on it. It does not peel and firmly holds on its basis.
- Aluminum powder and aerosol coloring compositions are very universal. The most often silver staining is used to protect metal products from corrosion, however, it can be applied for any other foundations such as wood, stone, plaster and so on. An example may be staining with such a composition prepared on a varnish or enamel with acrylic basis. Such painting for a long time protects wooden structures from rot and drying out, extending their lives.
- Powder silver dyes are environmentally friendly, since the aluminum powder is not a toxic substance. The composition of it can become poisonous only in the case of breeding her powder toxic enamel. Therefore, mixtures should be used for the decoration of walls in residential premises, mixtures should be used based on non-toxic paints of type water-dispersion acrylic bases.
- After drying, the dye acquires a pleasant metal color, which indicates the aesthetics of this type of paints. If you wish, you can create not one tone, and before starting painting, displaced the prepared mixture in any color.
This will not be difficult, for modern manufacturers offer kickers of various colors: only it is enough to choose from them the most suitable for this paint base. Various metal shades of color look very impressive when finishing the walls of external and inner walls of buildings.
- However, from the idea of independent composure, it is possible to refuse, because the sale presents a wide range of aerosol dyes, with which you can paint the walls with beautiful graffiti.
- No less serious advantage of painting compositions based on aluminum powder is their durability. According to many years of practice, their use, painted surfaces do not need to be repaired and re-painted for up to 6-7 years. However, this period can be reduced to 3 years, if the painted surface has constant contact with water, while on the surface of the walls inside the residential premises a beautiful colorful decor can be maintained up to 15 years.
The disadvantages of these dyes include the fact that the aluminum powder is extremely fuel. In addition, despite the relative non-toxicity and safety for the health of finished paint, Silver powder getting into respiratory organs and lungs presents a serious danger to a person. Therefore, to open the packaging with silver should only be discovered in the absence of a draft indoor or in the windless weather in the open space, protecting the respirator organs with a respirator.
Storage conditions and rules of fire safety should also be followed when contacting this paint.
From the following video, you will learn how to distinguish the fake of aluminum powder PAP-1 and PAP-2 from the original.