Construction materials of the German manufacturer Knauf on the Russian market leading in the list of sales is no longer the first year. One of the most sought-after products remains the “Rotband” plaster. Instructions for the use of this material is simple and understandable even newcomer, technical characteristics of plastering at height, and German quality speaks for itself.
Plaster Knauf “Rotband” deserved recognition of specialists in the field of repair and beginners for many reasons. It is noteworthy that the approach to the choice of raw materials for the manufacture of its products at the founders of the company is purely professional. Brothers Knauf – Mountain builders by profession. For many years they sought to choose such a material that would be high-quality, economical and easy to work, and stopped on plaster.
A large amount of this mineral in the composition of plaster provides all its unique properties and advantages:
- Plastering mixture “Rotband” is distinguished by a carefully thought out. Its base is a fine powder made of career plaster. It is added to the components of natural origin, which increase the elasticity, the ability of the solution longer to maintain moisture, adhesion with the working surface and strength.
- Waterproof components in the composition protect the layer from cracking after applying onto the wall or ceiling.
- Polyfunctional material in repair. It copes with many challenges and allows you to close deep goals, level the walls with curvature drops up to 5 cm for one reception, prevent heat loss, improve the insulation in the room, prepare the surface of the walls and the ceiling to decorative trim, perform the decorative decoration itself and even restoration work.
- The instruction for use is accurate and understandable, so Knauf “Rotband” is suitable for use on professional purposes and repairing their own hands. Numerous reviews confirm that repair with the materials of the Rotband line is not completely difficult.
- Plaster mix universal. It is best to fall on relatively smooth concrete, cement or trimmed with cement plaster surface, but is suitable for work on other grounds. In particular, brick walls and porous materials, which are distinguished by large absorbability of moisture, drywall, CSP and OSB plates. Perfectly copes with alignment and decoration of walls in old rooms and on the grounds that have repeatedly experienced repairs.
- Thanks to the work of the production concern at the international level, products comply with European quality standards recognized in any country, and adapted to climatic conditions of different countries, including a complex Russian climate.
- Plastering is solid and durable in dry and wet rooms. It is suitable for finishing the bathrooms, bathrooms and kitchens, if special compositions are used to protect plaster.
- The mixture is able to “do not conflict” in tandem with finishing materials of other manufacturers and is effectively combined with the products inside the own line.
- Liquid solution is very plastic, but does not flow over the surface. It is convenient to use it when finishing problem areas.
- There is no need to use the shp can after applying the “ROTBAND” plaster.
- Gypsum is very economical when finishing walls and ceilings, it does not need so much as cement-sand mixtures. It saves and finance, and time for repair work.
- One layer thickness – plus-minus 50 millimeters. Usually it is enough to align the wall in one approach.
- Frozen plaster coating resistant to fire.
- Gypsum plaster allows the wall to “breathe”, which means that there will be no condensate under the finishing material.
- Gypsum – Mineral Natural Material. It does not cause allergic reactions and does not allocate toxins.
The disadvantages also worth paying attention. As many specialists noted, the solution can give a small shrinkage. This is important to consider when calculating the consumption of the substance and the breeding of its water.
Also, trouble may occur when trying to apply a second five-meantimeter layer on the first without a primer composition between them. The grip in this case is not at the height.
Newbies, material consumption can greatly exceed the figures specified by the manufacturer. The mixture is frozen at contact with air in less than an hour. Need to work very quickly.
In comparison with similar goods of other manufacturers, the price segment of the plaster Knauf “Rotband” refers to the premium class rather than to economical.
They deserve separate attention, since they determine the quality and service life of the material.
In addition to the already mentioned composition, such characteristics are taken into account as packaging, storage, layer thickness, strength and density, color and fraction size, temporary characteristics.
Release form “Rotband” plaster – packaged bags of 5, 10, 25 and 30 kg. Five kilogram packaging are made of polyethylene and paper, more severe – only paper. Such packaging not only helps to keep dry gypsum mixture suitable for use, but also the information useful for the buyer. On all packages there is a corporate distinctive sign – stamp “German standard. Verified quality “. In addition, marked with the time of packaging of goods in format: year, month, hour, seconds. On the outer layer of packaging there is embossing – stripes.
These simple signs help to distinguish corporate products from poor-quality fake.
A paper or polyethylene container is stored in a dry and ventilated place at a temperature not lower than 0 degrees and not higher 25. It is advisable to prevent the heating of the mixture and enter the packaging of sunlight.
Outside on the package there is an information table in which the main characteristics are indicated. According to this data, the size of the fraction may not exceed 1.2 mm. This indicator is important for the “fluidity” of the solution. The smaller the faction, the stronger it is “crawling” on the wall. The larger, the better it rests on the wall and above the adhesiveness with the treated surface.
The color is not specified, but the manufacturer claims that it does not affect the operational characteristics of the plaster. Hint of plaster depends not from adding a dye, but from the place where it is mined. Ready solution can be painted in white, gray or pinkish. White plaster enters the market from German and Krasnodar plants, gray – from Krasnogorsk, pinkish – from Kolpino.
The recommended layer thickness varies for the ceiling trim and wall processing. For horizontal surfaces, the minimum is 5 millimeters, and maximum – 15. For vertical – from 5 to 50.
Temporary indicators are superimposed on each process separately. Thus, the solution “matures” after adding water in 3-7 minutes, it remains liquid and suitable for operation 25-35 minutes, the thin layer dries over 3-5 hours, and the most fat – only in 7 days.
Indicators of density and strength Check independently impossible.
They regulate the maximum load on the plaster layer, and for the ROTBAND line, the manufacturer sets such numbers:
- Density – 950 kg / cubic meter;
- Compression strength – no less than 2.5 MPa;
- Strength on bending – no less units.
The latter, but the most important characteristic – the consumption of the mixture per square meter. It deserves a detailed consideration.
Consumption per 1 m2
The condition of the working surfaces is different, and the consumption of the material is indicated averaged – for layer in 1 cm. Plays the role and professionalism of a person performing repair work. Malyary specialists can exactly as possible to determine the necessary layer thickness, but it often seems to lovers that it will know better. Where it was possible to do with two centimeters of thickness, they impose a maximum, as a result, consumption increases greatly.
Despite the fact that the products of Knauf “Rotband” are not the most budget option, such a waste has beats on his pocket.
To avoid unnecessary temporary and financial costs, you need to correctly calculate the gypsum mixture per square meter.
This is done by hand step by step:
- “Washing” walls. The perfectly flat surface, rather, an exception than the rule, so you need to compare the height differences at least in three points. For this, the length of the wall is divided into three identical segments, in the middle of each segment 20 cm from the ceiling, a nail is driven, a cord with a load cord is tied to the nail. Below, at that point where the load stops, another nail is driven and fix the cord tip. The same cord can be stretched by horizontal line. This method allows you to accurately determine the differences of the curvature of the walls.
- Calculation of arithmetic average. This indicator will be equal to the required thickness of the plastering layer so that the wall becomes smooth. For example, if the length of the wall is 9 meters, three canopies were placed on it, and the deviations turned out 1, 2 and 3 centimeters, they need to be folded and divided into the number of canopies. Total in the amount of curvature gives 6 centimeters, and the leveling layer must be 2 cm.
- Calculation of material for 1 square meter. The packaging is given a minimum layer thickness for a square meter. From these data it is easy to obtain both the maximum and averaged indicator. For example, with a layer thickness 2 cm, you need to multiply the data from the information table to 2. For Stucco “Rotband” Consumption per 1 kV. m at 1 cm is 8.5 kg. It turns out, for 2 will need 17 kg per meter.
- Calculation of material for the whole area. 17 kg (other than the resulting number) must be multiplied to the wall area. For each surface, the calculation is carried out separately.
- Calculation of the number of packaging plaster. The total weight of the plaster must be divided into 5, 10, 25 or 30 (kg in 1 pack). The greater the volume, the cheaper the price per kg, so it is better to navigate the big packaging.
- Plaster reserve. Even the calculation manually does not give 100% of the exact result. The number of bags of plaster required to repair the room is always rounded into the biggest. At 10.5 – to 11, at 12.5 – to 13. If the number turned out to be even, an additional bag is purchased in a volume of 5-15% of the total mass.
For the calculation ceilings are underway in the same way, but taking into account the fact that the maximum allowable thickness of the layer is only 15 mm.
For applying primer and decorative finishes, following shuttering, need absolutely dry and lowest surface.
The worst layer of 5 cm dry 7 full days. Based on this, you can make an approximate calculation of the time to dry out 1 cm layer – from 24 to 34 hours. The exact figure depends on the layer thickness (1 cm dry faster than 3) and the type of surface. On porous and well absorbing walls (blocks from aerated concrete, brick), the plaster loses its moisture faster and will dry faster, on the materials of the average absorption (by type of plasterboard) and the average indicators, and the maximum waiting time on dense concrete bases.
How to apply?
Application technology “ROTBAND” is available to anyone who wants. It is carried out in stages – from preparatory work before processing with protective equipment.
Painting work without prior training – money and time for wind. Repairable premises need to be released from garbage if it is, to carry out dry cleaning (remove the construction dust) and wet. Clean walls or ceiling necessarily need to be braced by the type of surface with a composition of two layers through the interval of several hours.
Optimal option – Knauf primer.
Outdoor coating is recommended to protect with polyethylene dense film, fixing it with painting scotch. It will save from the need to remove white plaster divorces and frozen droplets of the solution.
If the preparation is not manufactured, problems such as cracking plaster, peeling, the appearance of irregularities.
Preparation of instruments
For painting works, there will be several capacities under water (pour into the gypsum mixture, wash tools) and a solution, a stepladder, paint wavy to ribbonly cast a solution for treating deep gaps, Kelma, half-leather, chock, spatulas and a special tool called Rule.
For mixing solution you need a building mixer. Suiter and a drill with a mixing nozzle.
Also worth pouring work clothes, comfortable shoes, gloves. When plastered the ceiling – respirator, glasses and headdress or handkerchief to protect hair.
When the second layer of primer dries (about 24 hours), it’s time to start directly to the finish. Old brickwork, porous materials and wood with good absorption, can be coated in three layers, but thin.
Kneading the solution is made in plastic containers. Used clean water room temperature and mixer or drill. It is necessary to strictly comply with the manufacturer’s recommendations about the temperature and amount of liquid and mix the gypsum mass to thoroughly until uniformity.
It insists a solution of up to 10 minutes, then proceed. To close the deep gaps and the formation of beaches-pyramids on the wall, it is preparing in a small amount separately so that the rest of the mass does not frozen.
There are several ways to apply the “Rotband” plaster: in 1 reception, in 3 reception and in beacons.
For application to one, the wall should be quite smooth and not problematic. In this case, the finished solution is typed on the cell and apply to the wall from the bottom upwards, retreating the distance equal to the layer thickness. Thus covered the whole area.
The layer-by-layer option is designed for difficult surfaces that need to additionally reinforce.
A total of three layers are applied:
- “Spray” – a liquid solution of the minimum thickness;
- “Soil” – the main layer, the thickness of which is 3-4 cm. If necessary, the painting mesh for reinforcement “takes off”;
- “Covering” – a thin finishing layer that levels the surface of the wall and grid.
Next, several options are possible. If the wall is already smooth, then processed the crossbar with putty before decorative finish; If defects still have, primed the crossbar and apply plaster re-with one layer of the desired thickness.
It is started when the plaster already “grabbed” but did not harde. The painting grater is applied to the wall and begin to process the circular movements from left to right.
Push should be small to not damage fresh plaster.
Tips and recommendations
Perform the work qualitatively using the “Rotband” stucco, Tips for professionals for beginners are helping:
- It is always worth acquiring material with a margin;
- Do not dissolve a lot of solution at once;
- add water into a dry mixture, and not vice versa, and not pour the entire recommended volume immediately;
- work in a dry room, observing the temperature range from +5 to +25;
- to consider in advance whether the plaster will perform a decorative function and apply the relief in the process of plastering;
- use two layers of high-quality primer;
- Before applying plaster remove all metal elements from the wall or paint in 2 layers of white enamel;
- Do not try to speed up the drying process with heat fans and heaters – moisture will evaporate too quickly and the surface can crack.
About how to level the ceiling and walls with your own hands, you can learn from the video below.