Adhesive mixtures based on polymers are indispensable in many construction work: they perfectly fasten the most different materials. This article will consider the pros and cons of such funds in more detail.
Polymer-based glue solutions are widely used both in everyday life and in professional construction.
First of all, such a tool deserved its popularity with the ability to firmly fasten almost any materials and versatility in the application.
Even those objects that seem to be combined only with the help of self-tapping screws or nails, can be made of polymer adhesives.
By its structure, this type of glue is a gel-like plastic mass, which includes polymers and additional components.
The advantages of polymer mixtures are as follows:
- High clutch levels with almost all possible materials;
- rapid drying;
- Instant bonding of various products;
- high strength of the created bonding;
- small consumption;
- ease of application;
- Wide scope of application;
- moisture resistance;
- Resistance to temperature fluctuations.
The main disadvantage of the adhesive polymer mixture is toxicity of some formulations. When working with such means, the precautions must be observed. In the case of internal work, the room must be well ventilated.
Adhesive polymer mixtures differ from each other by some components that are included in their composition.
All modern formulations are divided into three main groups.
- Glues based on urea-formaldehyde resins, polyurethane and epoxy resin.
- Water based mixtures. This glue can be diluted with water. This group includes PVA and Bustylate (synthetic latex glue for wallpaper).
- Compositions that can be dissolved by organic solvents. This type includes nitrocellulose (nitroles), rubber glue and a mixture based on perchlorvinyl resin.
Depending on the technical characteristics of a type of polymer glue, its scope is determined.
Consider the main species.
- Mixes for work indoors. Used for cladding various surfaces.
- Adhesives for external works. Such a group includes compositions that are distinguished by increased resistance to environmental impacts and low temperatures. Only waterproof mixes are suitable for external work.
- Universal mixes. Such a composition is suitable for gluing most types of materials and can be used both inside and outdoors.
- Mounting solution. Different with high performance characteristics. With this glue, you can stick to different surfaces even massive products.
- Glue “Liquid nails”. The composition is characterized by low consumption and rapid drying. Quickly and reliably fastens a variety of materials.
- Mix “Cold Welding”. Is a transparent gel mass. The peculiarity of this modification is that with the help of such a fund, it is safely and imperceptibly to connect sloping pieces of the subject with its basis.
Scope of application
Polymer-based glue can be used for small construction work and for full repair. A wide range of such mixtures will allow you to choose a suitable modification for any task.
The advantages of a polymer-based glue are known to many car owners. Some modifications of mixtures are perfectly coping with the repair of automotive glasses. A clear solution when frozen forms an inconspicuous connection. A minor layer of glue in this case will have the same refractive indices, like glass. This allows you to perfectly disguise the cracks on the surface.
For internal works, a water-soluble group of polymer compositions is most often used. Such mixtures have less toxicity.
Inside the room, polymer glue is used for the following purposes:
- Installation of a parquet board;
- Facing of various surfaces with tiles (for the tile, mixtures based on epoxy resin are excellent);
- fastening of plasterboard sheets;
- minor repair of various household items and furniture;
- creating and fixing decor elements;
- Fastening the ceiling coating.
The mixture on a polymer basis also copes well with the exterior decoration of buildings. Mounting glue can fix even large-sized objects. Mixture “Liquid Nails” perfectly copes with the fastening of materials such as plastic, metals, wood, plasterboard, ceramic tiles.
For roofing, they produce a special bitumen-polymer adhesive mixture. Glue is a paste-shaped mass of black. This composition is highly resistant to weathering and elasticity.
Most of the modern manufacturers of building mixtures produce a line of polymer adhesives. Products of various firms differ among themselves according to specifications and quality.
When studying the characteristics of a product, it should be remembered that high-quality polymer glue must have the following qualities:
- High Elasticity Indicators;
- good electric and thermal conductivity;
- resistance to ignition;
- High degree of adhesion (clutch) and the ability to firmly fasten various surfaces.
Before selecting the appropriate type of polymer-based solution, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the most famous manufacturers and explore the reviews for their products.
Polish Dragon firm specializes in the production of construction chemistry and adhesive mixtures. This company supplies high quality products to the construction market since 1972.
Universal Dragon glue on a polymer basis enjoys great popularity in the Russian market. This composition can be used both internal and external finishing. The mixture is resistant to water and to temperature differences. The time of complete grasp of the bonded surfaces is thirty minutes.
Customer reviews about this product in most cases exceptionally positive.
Consumers identify the following advantages of Dragon glue:
- short drying time;
- high quality;
- Effective gluing of various materials;
- affordable price.
The disadvantages include a weak, but unpleasant smell of mixture.
The company “Hercules-Siberia” specializes in the manufacture of dry mixes for construction work. In the manufacture of products, the most modern foreign technologies and high quality raw materials are used.
The company produces two polymer-based glue modifications:
- Super Polymer.
Both varieties of mixtures are produced in dry form. The maximum bag with a bulk mixture is 25 kg. Universal composition can be used not only for fastening various surfaces, but also to eliminate minor irregularities of walls and floors. Modification Super Polymer is great for lining various surfaces of tile. It can be used to finish floors heated.
Products manufactured under the AXTON brand is made for Lerua Merlen stores. The adhesive mixture of Axton on a polymer basis has the highest performance characteristics. Such mixtures are used in the manufacture of metal structures, finishing and assembling works, as well as for seaming seams.
Bostik is one of the world leaders in the production of glue mixtures. The company produces compositions designed for both domestic needs and for the sphere of professional construction. All products of Bostik complies with world quality standards.
Polylex polymer glue from Bostik producer is characterized by a high degree of adhesion. The mixture can be used for the clutch of materials such as ceramic tiles, paper, various types of fabrics, wood-layered stove, linoleum, plastic.
Apply glue on a polymer basis is necessary only on a well purified and low-fat surface. Otherwise, glue consumption can significantly increase, and there will also be no guarantee of reliable and high-quality fastening of materials. If the surface being processed is operated in high humidity conditions, then it is necessary to be primed.
The adhesive mixture is distributed over a prepared dry basis. It is important to ensure that the glue is applied evenly and a small layer, which will avoid the formation of sublishes. The fastened parts of products or materials are tightly pressed to each other and hold over the time indicated on the packaging of the composition.
Some modifications of the polymer glue have toxic substances. Working with such material is necessary in a well-ventilated room. On the hands it is recommended to wear gloves, and the respiratory tract to protect with the respirator.
Polymer glue in action – on the video below.