Metal is a fairly durable material with excellent performance characteristics. However, even metal structures are exposed to negative factors and can quickly spoil. Special funds are available to protect such products. One of the most reliable protective coatings is varnish. Varieties, properties and use of this material will be considered in more detail in this article.
Features and advantages
Paintwork manufacturers produce quite a lot of varnish varnish for metal. Each type of such a product will have its own specifications.
All varnishes for metal surfaces have shared qualities:
- The composition of this material necessarily includes substances that protect the metal from corrosion;
- The coating created by varnish is characterized by high strength and wear resistance;
- The mixtures not only create a durable coating, but also extend the life of metal structures;
- well protect the surface from exposure to moisture and other negative external manifestations.
Types and form of release
In the current market for finishing materials, there are many varnishes, various composition and properties that can be used to protect metal surfaces.
The classification of mixtures is as follows:
- “Kuzbasslak” or bitumen varnish;
- Polyurethane coating;
- lacquer on acrylic basis;
- alkyd mixtures;
- heat-resistant solutions for furnaces and fireplaces;
- Varnish “Tsaron”.
Metal varnishes are produced mainly in the form of a transparent solution. However, black and colored mixtures are found, and pigments can be added to some kind of colorless compositions.
In addition to the shade, paints and varnish materials differ in the level of gloss of the created coating:
- shiny glossy coating;
The form of release distinguishes one-component and two-component compositions. Single-component mixtures are ready to apply. Such varnishes are not very popular, as two-component compounds are inferior.
Two-component mixtures are divided into the base and hardener. For the preparation of the solution, the components must be mixed with each other. Do it needed immediately before starting repair work.
Kuzbasslak is made on the basis of natural or artificial bitumen. To improve the technical characteristics of the coating in the production of the mixture, special additives are used. After drying such a mixture on the metal surface, a solid film is formed, which protects the design from mechanical effects.
Bituminous varnish can be used during metal etching. Those areas that are not subject to etching must be covered by Kuzbasslak. The film formed reliably protect the processed surface from the effects of chemicals.
Bituminous mixtures, in turn, are divided into more than several subspecies other than some components contained. Some characteristics of solutions may vary, depending on the composition.
All varieties of bitumen solutions are the following positive properties:
- a small price;
- excellent anti-corrosion characteristics;
- high level of protection against moisture effects;
- The mixture creates high strength coating;
- elasticity and elasticity;
- Temperature resistance.
Polyurethane varnish is often used to create a reliable protective coating of the inside of various metal containers and tanks. This material can also be used to finish metal structures inside and outside the room.
Among the advantages of the mixture, the following qualities can be distinguished:
- high level of adhesion;
- Excellent wear resistance;
- reliable corrosion protection;
- Withstands a large temperature range: from minus sixty to plus eighty degrees;
- Resistance to aggressive media;
- High strength of the coating created;
- Increases the life of metal structures.
Colorless polyurethane-based mixture can be connected with coloring substances to obtain the desired color. Such a coating is often used as a finish finish.
On acrylic basis
Acrylic-based mixtures are not inferior in quality to other metal lacas. One of the distinguishing features of acrylic compositions is the high speed of drying.
After drying, the lacquer forms on metal structures a very durable waterproof film. Due to these properties, the mixture is ideal for processing products from metal, which are operated in conditions of high humidity or often come into contact with water.
Acrylic varnish has the following advantages:
- There are no toxic substances in the material;
- strengthens the surface and increases the life of metal products;
- resistance to mechanical effects;
- prevents the emergence of corrosion;
- resistance to the effects of salts and oils, which is often used to cover cars;
- protects structures from metal from the influence of negative factors of the external environment;
- Excellent performance of adhesion.
Alkyd varnishes form a durable shiny coating on the surface. This solution is made on the basis of alkyd resins with the addition of various additives. Form release depends on the manufacturer of material. In the construction market you can find an alkyd varnish in the form of an aerosol cylinder or in a regular bank.
The following advantages of such a coating are distinguished:
- After drying, the varnish on the surface is formed high-strength protective film;
- Resistance to household chemicals and other aggressive substances;
- Suitable for construction works both inside and outside the room;
- High graffitivity with many materials.
The heat-resistant mixture for furnaces and fireplaces withstands the effect of high temperatures (over two hundred and fifty degrees). This mixture is often used as an additive to alkyd varnishes and an acrylic basis solutions. The furnace varnish creates a reliable anti-corrosion protective coating.
The mixture of “Zapon” is a type of nitrolac. The solution creates not only a solid protective coating, but also decorates the surface, since color pigments can be added to its composition. When adding certain coloring substances, the consistency of the varnish can be more dense, similar to liquid gel.
This type of nitrolac can be used for metal priming. Primer “Tsaron” prevents the formation of rust and perfectly protects the surface from destruction.
How to choose and how to apply?
Before making a choice in favor of one or another lacquer for metal, it is necessary to take into account many factors.
When choosing a suitable coating, you can use the following recommendations:
- Examine the range of mixtures for processing metal coatings. Each type of varnish has its own characteristics and specifications.
- Consider the scope of paintwork. Mixtures for external work should have good moisture resistance and resistance to temperature drops.
- The desired color of the coating. In the current market of building materials, you can find not only transparent varnishes for metal, but also pigmented options.
- The desired level of brilliance of the finished coating. It is easier to care for the matte surface. The glossy coating looks more attractive, but not very practical, as it is subject to various contaminants and the appearance of scratches, which will clearly be visible on a shiny surface.
Tips and recommendations
- In order for the lacquer chosen by you, all stated characteristics and allowed to create a durable and durable coating, it is necessary to get acquainted with the instructions for applying the mixture. Each type of lacquer for metal requires compliance with special guidance recommendations..
- The process of preparing the metal surface before starting work does not depend on the specific type of varnish and primarily consists in a good stripping ground. Metal design is cleaned of dust, dirt and rust, after which degreases. You can apply lacquer using a painting brush, spray collapse or spray spray (if you purchased an aerosol).
- Typically, the metal solution is applied in three layers. After applying each subsequent layer, it is necessary to take a break in order to dry the previous. Drying time you need to look at the packaging of the material
How to apply lacquer, see below in the video.