One of the widespread materials to decorate the walls is paint. Before making repairs in your apartment, you need to know the qualitative characteristics of the selected means for painting. The market shows a huge selection of painting materials of various compositions and color shades, which allows various decorative ideas. In this article we will tell about how to use matte paints in interior design.
Classification of painting compositions
Before you go to the store for buying materials for repair, you need to think about what kind of paint you will need.
In order not to make a mistake with the choice, consider the main types of paints:
- For external work, facade paint is used, and for the interior – interior. Buying paint for walls, pay attention to the inscription about its purpose.
- Depending on the humidity of the repaired room, we choose moisture-resistant or non-fatty paint.
- In order not to experience discomfort in a residential room, consider such an indicator as vapor permeability, this property allows the walls to “breathe”.
- For convenience in caring for a painted surface, pay attention to the wear resistance of the material. Walls painted with resistant paints, it will be possible to wash periodically.
- Depending on the shelterness of the material, its expense changes.
- Pay attention to thixotropy, so called the ability of paints to dilute during mechanical exposure and thicken at rest. Thixotropic coloring compositions do not give lies.
- Paints are glossy and matte. Glossy look beautiful, but you only need to apply them on a very even reason. With the help of matte materials, you can perfectly hide the wall defects and ensure good vapor permeability. An alternative can serve a half mask paint.
Pros and cons
Matte paints have the following advantages:
- Color density and saturation.
- Good shelterness.
- There is no glare on the painted surface.
- Ability to dispel light, which allows uniform illumination of the room.
- Using the rough structure, you can hide small defects and an uneven wall surface.
- Combining the matte and glossy surface, you can visually highlight some details of the interior.
One example of creating an interesting effect when decorating walls can serve black matte paint. With it, you can create an absolutely light-absorbing surface and a complete absence of shine.
- Due to the roughness of the painted surface, dust and fat can accumulate on it.
- More complex departure due to wavy surface.
- Damage in the form of scratches and scuffs are more visible on the wall covered with matte paint.
The following compounds are used to form a matte protective film:
- Water-emulsion paint is designed for interior wall decoration, has a low price and dries quickly.
- Mineral solution with the foundation from the hazed lime or building bricks similar to the usual whitewash. Has a low price, not moisture.
- Silicate paint, having liquid glass, more moisture resistant, the price is low.
- PVA Paint is suitable for walls in a dry and warm room, vapor permeable.
- Acrylic paint is widely used when painting various surfaces, highly resistant to abrasion, moisture resistant.
- Latex paint can be used in wet rooms.
- Silicone compounds have increased operational properties, have a relatively high cost.
All listed materials are well soluble in water, quickly dry, almost odorless, not toxic.
Preparation and painting of walls
Stained surface with defects and irregularities requires preliminary preparation.
It consists of the following moments:
- The putty is carried out to eliminate high damage and distortion of the wall surface, its thickness can be up to 30 mm.
- To remove small potholes and cracks, the finish putty is performed by a thin layer.
- Using fine-grained sandpaper, eliminate minor roughness.
- To ensure a high degree of adhesion, each layer of putty is treated with penetrating primer.
Work on painting the wall can be carried out manually, with a brush and roller or mechanically using a compressor and collapse.
- Protect surfaces that are not stained. For this you can use newspapers, polyethylene, paper malarious tape.
- Start painting in distant corners and hard-to-reach places, using a wide brush.
- The large area of the wall is painted using a fur painting roller on a long handle.
- Missing your hands and tools, without waiting for paint drying, for this use warm water and detergent.
How to choose?
Interior paint is chosen, in accordance with its properties and destination of the room:
- Polyurethane and alkyd compositions are suitable for painting kitchen premises and bathrooms. If the room has increased moisture, then latex and acrylic paints with special additives for protection against mold and fungus are suitable for it.
- For premises where abrasion resistance is required, for example, in the hallways, latex-acrylic compositions are suitable.
- For the bedroom optimal will be the use of water-based materials creating a matte surface.
- Often, after decorative design of the walls, the question arises about painting the ceiling. Currently, the whits are almost no applied, and different painting compositions of white in their properties are used.
Thanks to modern technologies and the emergence of new finishing materials, make repairs in the apartment has become much simpler. What kind of paint is the best – choose you. We hope that our article will help you make the right choice.
About how to prepare and paint walls, look in the following video.