When working with ceramic tiles, liquid nails are used. This material has a number of features, pros and cons: we understand together.
What is it?
Liquid nails – modern glue composition, which is used to connect parts in construction. Connection strength is equivalent to fastening parts by nails. This glue is packaged in convenient packaging in the form of a tube of various structures that are reliably close at the time of inactivity. Otherwise the glue can spoil. This is a reliable adhesion for most materials and surfaces, including for ceramic tiles and plaster bases.
Drying time and solidification of glue is much smaller, but it is enough to correct errors in laying.
Modern liquid nails are presented in two main types:
- Water-emulsion acrylic;
- Neoprene on organic solvents.
According to the connection strength of the connection, these varieties are approximately equal to, Although there may be differences in quality and ability to use. Liquid nails on an acrylic basis are diluted with water, which reduces the possibility of harmful effects on the body. You can use them in the premises where there is no high humidity, and the temperature differences are small. Otherwise, the adhesive basis loses its properties.
In compliance with these conditions when working with porous materials and plastic, the compound is solved by durable and durable.
The glue composition of liquid nails on organic solvents heat-resistant. It is resistant to high humidity, reliably opposes the action of fungus. The setting period is small, to correct time errors almost does not remain, so the preparation for laying should be careful. The strength of glue is high, but environmentally friendly nails on an neoplative basis of dangerous acrylic analogs. During work and a few days after its end, it is necessary to avoid presence in the room: harmful evaporations are not excluded. And acrylic and neoprene glue by strength exceeding PVC glue.
How to choose?
Experience of workshops shows that for facing the surface, the tiles is safer to apply water-soluble Titan WB 50 or Solvent FRI as liquid nails. For the bathroom, it is better to use another glue, more resistant to such conditions, for example, “Naila” or “Tem Surraund”. If you need to put massive, overall tiles, use Zigger 99, LN 901, Hevy Djuti. Excellent adhesion to brick, plasterboard, concrete of liquid nails Titebond Multi Purpos.
Working with ceramic tiles and liquid nails, you need to make preparatory work especially carefully. The final result depends on. This glue is quite durable, but dusty, unprepared surface can cause poor clutch.
The choice of glue is important: it is necessary to choose it with the weight of the material, its thickness, type of surface. It is important to take into account the type of plane (vertical, horizontal), time for preliminary and final solidification. Before buying a total volume, you need to consider consultation from craftsmen or sellers of choosing one or another glue, carefully examine the instructions of several types of material.
Deciding with the brand of glue, the estimated volume should be increased by 10-15%. This will avoid shortage of liquid nails when working with tiles.
You can buy trial samples and check them on suitability for intended work.
It is worth considering the following:
- Check glue grasp. The instructions are the recommendations on the right application, including time.
- Mel and calcium carbonate particles should be excluded, which reduce adhesion.
- In the presence of acetone and toluene, glue is not suitable for operation, its smell and harmful effects can hold a long time.
- Some brands of water-soluble liquid nails (Solvent Free “or” Titan WB-50 “) can be used when working on sticking ceramic tiles in rooms with high humidity.
- Amalgam mirrors will not deteriorate if it is used to use liquid nails of brands “moment installation”, “LN-930” or “Sigger 93”.
- When finishing the bathroom, you can use liquid nails of the brands “Tuba Surraund” or “Nail Power”.
It is important to consider one nuance: for complete polymerization (solidification) of all types of approximately 12 – 24 hours.
Stages of work
Before coating glue, the surface of the tile must be cleaned, dried and degrease. Liquid nails are applied on an area of thin snake if the tiles are lightweight, enough application points. Tile must be tightly press for a few seconds to the prepared surface: it will determine the degree of strength. Liquid nails dries on the glued tile 24 hours, finally dried in a week. Touch and move tiles during this period is not worth not to spoil fixation strength. In 5-7 days begin to grout seams. It is not recommended to lay tiles on the floor of the bath, using liquid nails: Special waterproof glue uses for such purposes.
To minimize the amount of excess glue when sticking ceramic tiles, you need to accurately determine its amount for each tile. It is able to make experienced masters, it is better to trust them with such work to be confident in obtaining fast and high-quality results. However, in the process of work, the benefits of liquid nails can turn into flaws. For example, it is not always possible to remove the dried glue: it becomes stronger every hour.
Therefore, they advise the excess glue to delete immediately during operation, using a clean soft cloth.
If the moment is missed, it will have to use more complex receptions to remove the dried leaks:
- Special cleaner who can be purchased at any building store. It is applied to the plots with dried glue, withstand 15-20 minutes, then wash off and rub in a clean soft cloth.
- You can use a scraper or a brush type nozzle on a screwdriver. Here, too, you need some experience in order not to damage the surface of the tiles.
- Small glue residues to remove with a cleaner. However, if the glue took tightly, this method is ineffective.
- You can heat the tile surface in any safe way up to 60 degrees. When this temperature is glue, it becomes soft and removed with a spatula.
Liquid nails have plenty of advantages.
- They are waterproof: polymer compounds have a great water resistance. Moisture getting inside the seam does not affect the strength properties of the connection.
- The glue is distinguished by high strength: after solidification, the composition becomes stronger concrete and retains its properties for a long time.
- Along the voltage, the production of leading brands withstands up to 80 kg / kV. cm. Liquid nails can fix ceramic tiles of significant weight.
- They are characterized by resistance to rust, mold, fungus, rotting in conditions of high humidity.
- Automation is distinguished: a building gun can be used to apply glue, so the safety and culture of production increases.
- This material is convenient: the composition is ready for use, there is no need to prepare a mixture.
- There is a small time interval to correct errors.
- The adhesive compositions of liquid nails are universal when gluing many homogeneous and heterogeneous surfaces, which is especially important when sticking tiles under stone.
- Adhesion of this glue is high enough for most construction and finishing materials.
- Not all liquid nails are resistant to moisture. Increased humidity impairs the main properties of liquid nails of individual brands.
- Ceramic tiles do not recommend laying on the floor using liquid nails, it is better to use a special tile glue. So it will be more reliable and cheaper.
- Varieties of adhesive on an neoplative basis can be harmful to the human body, so a fairly long period is needed to the complete disappearance of the evaporation of neoprene.
- For removal of excess hardened glue requires additional materials and time.
- Fix low-quality laying after the start of solidification of liquid nails almost fails.
- Working with liquid nails and ceramic tiles should be carried out under stable temperature conditions.
- With overheating in the canopy, glue loses its consistency and can become unsuitable for work.
The time for which the adjustment is possible is not more than a minute. This is enough for an experienced master, but for a beginner can be a real problem. All manufacturers produce liquid nails in the ballots of 300-500 grams, it is unprofitable under significant work.
If you lay the tile on a large area, the cost of buying glue may exceed the cost of the facing itself.
Selection of glue compositions such as liquid nails now wide, Attentive approach will avoid mistakes and get a reliable result. Before you start, you need to try to learn more information about the quality of glue and the possibilities of its use in specific conditions. Many information is contained in the instructions for the use specified on the packages of goods. In general, liquid nails – glue with a good functional effect. The composition is not necessary to prepare, with the help of a construction pistol, the composition is easily applied to the surface of the tile, grasps in a short time and reliably holds glued parts of small weight.
When buying it is worth paying attention to the expiration date: by his passage, glue loses its properties, which can affect the tile clutch with the base of the surface.
For more information on this issue you can learn from the video below.