Laying ceramic, clinker tiles or PVC coating on OSB-stove is conjugate with certain difficulties. The surface of the wood material made of chips and chips has a pronounced relief. In addition, it is impregnated with chemicals that reduce the adhesion of the material. How to make a selection of tiled glue, put the ceiling tile and tile in this case, it is worth telling more detail.
Laying on OSB-plates of decorative and finishing materials is always conjugate with certain difficulties. However When running frame construction, when redeveloped in the bathroom and bathroom in country houses, it is this material that is chosen as the basis.
When finishing the surfaces with ceramic tiles, porcelain stoneware and tile from PVC have to remember about a number of important points. Among the main features of the material it is worth highlighting such characteristics.
- Low hardness and strength. The carrier capabilities of the OSB-slabs are significantly lower than that of the wood or concrete massif. At the same time, in comparison with chipboard or fiberboard, the material clearly wins the same parameters.
- Mobility. Material that does not have a solid support begins, changes its geometrical characteristics. This leads to the fact that the tile or solution, its fastening, cracks.
- Low moisture resistance. When operating in wet rooms, without arranging additional waterproofing, the slabs are quickly gaining water, swell. Create favorable conditions for the appearance of mold and fungus.
- Uneven surface. If on a concrete screed you can immediately lay the tile, the OSB plate has to apply to apply.
- Low adhesion with other materials. In order for the clutch to be durable, you will have to make additional efforts.
The advantages of OSB-boards include fire resistance and weather resistance when used in the facade finish. In addition, the material with the right choice has a rather high class of environmental safety. It can be used to create walls and partitions in residential premises.
Before the direct laying of the decor from the tile be started, you need to carefully prepare the foundation. Depending on the conditions, the OSB can be mounted on the frame or on top of the old floor, walls, ceiling. For loadable designs, it is recommended to use the most thick and rigid slab from 15 mm. It is suitable for mounting on the floor.
Enhance the adhesion abilities of the OSB-slabs can be in different ways. Among the most popular solutions, you can allocate the following options.
- Additional facing. You can fix on structures from OSB sheets of cement-chip or drywall. In this case, the tile is guaranteed to keep well.
- Installation of a metal reinforcing mesh. It allows you to use standard tile adhesives.
- Application of compounds for a joint connection. In this case, good adhesion is achieved under any conditions.
It is important to understand that in almost all cases, the installation of the tile requires additional preliminary stove progressing. It reduces its water absorption, helps to avoid cracking and peeling the tile when drying the adhesive composition.
As part of the preparatory activities, the fixation of OSB-plates to intermediate lags is carried out. In this case, the distance between them is determined based on the thickness of the material itself. The average range varies from 400 to 600 mm. For floor installation, this indicator is reduced by half.
In preparation for salary, tile includes and grinding material. The upper glossy layer is removed using coarse sandpaper. Dust, remaining after grinding, is carefully going, removed. The OSB-stove is then covered with a polymer-based primer in 2 layers. The first will dry about 1 hour, the second – to the day.
As a primitive primer for the stove, the construction glue PVA is suitable. It is distributed over the surface of the roller. It is important that there are no lumen and spaces.
What can be glued?
Special tile glue for fastening on wood and stoves produce many brands. Among them – Ceresit, which has a CM17 product. In addition, you can use two-component rapid mixtures on epoxy. They are u Litocol – the same composition can then be seams. Suitable options include any products from the category “Liquid Nails”, forming a reliable clutch on the surface of wood plates.
Optimal choice for working with tiles can be elastic polymer adhesives. They are plastic, and during the operation of the coating compensates for the emerging voltage between materials. Suitable for work and silicone sealants, especially if we are talking about finishing walls in the kitchen or bathroom. With proper use, they will not only firmly hold the tile, but also will exclude the contact of the base with moisture.
It is categorically not suitable for working with OSB only classic cement-based formulations. They simply do not provide sufficient strength. In addition, the adhesion characteristics of such mixtures are designed for other types of bases. At best, the tile will simply break down.
What tools are needed?
When installing tiled, ceramic, clinker or vinyl tile, the same tool sets are used. The master will be needed:
- rubber hammer;
- toothed spatula (metallic or rubber);
- Malyary roller;
- Platologist for cutting material;
- struts for tiles;
- Sponge to remove excess glue;
- Cuvette for fill and cooking.
When installing with the use of additional elements (grid or overhead panels), self-tapping screws and screwdriver, nails or other fasteners.
Installation Instructions Tile
Put the tile of plaster stones, vinyl, from quartz or tiled on the floor, walls or ceiling, even if there is an OSB-slab surface at the base. With the right approach, even a facade design of a porcelain stoneware can successfully hold on it. In order to put the tile of high quality, it is necessary to take into account its individual features, purpose, the intensity of the alleged loads.
There are a number of general recommendations that are performed regardless of the installation method.
- Alignment. All sections of the plates are measured by level. The location of the fastener is carefully covered with elastic mixtures, as well as joints between modules.
- Padding. It is made by painting roller. If the type of OSB-3 plate, you need to pre-apply the solvent or alcohol to degrease the surface.
- Reinforcement. It is used when fixing the floor and wall tile on the OSB-3 panel, OSB-4. The grid is rolled along the projected coating, attached using a construction stapler. It is important that the reinforcing layer is well tightened. A new layer of primer is applied on top.
After that, it will only be waited until all the materials are fastened. Then it will be possible to start gluing tiles.
On the ceiling
Vinyl ceiling tile is minimal weighing, it practically does not create a load on the surface. In the case of OSB-plates, such a choice is optimal. Here it is possible to use different installation methods. For example, If OSB forms a draft coating, lagows fixed on it, and they are plasterboard sheets to which the tile is easily fastened with standard glue.
With direct installation it will be necessary to put the surface with careful elimination of irregularities. Then the tile is placed on the dried putty. The optimal choice will be the point installation on liquid nails, allowing you to quickly form a decorative coating over the entire surface.
It is important to consider that this method is suitable only when mounting the lighting devices. Curling and hidden ceiling lights require the use of drywall base, their location, size and form are thought out in advance.
On the floor
The most popular floor finishing option is tile or ceramic tile. In residential premises will be more appropriate textured modules or porcelain stoneware. It all depends on the individual preferences of the owner, as well as on the intensity of loads.
Laying a tile or porcelain tiles on the floor-plate flooring is recommended according to the scheme.
- Place marking. The surface is divided into zones, pre-dry laying is performed, the tile cuts.
- Preparation of solution. You can take a finished composition, sufficiently thick to distribute the toothed spatula. If liquid nails are used, sealant, preparing is not required.
- Application of solution. It stacked from the center of the room. Over 1 time the volume is taken, sufficient for accommodation 1-3 tiles. Elements themselves are also covered with a solution from the wrong side, a thin layer.
- Montage tile. Each module is placed in place according to the markup, bubbled with rubber hammer. In the corners of the first tile, cruciform struts are laid out for the formation of seams. The following elements are laid out by level.
Upon completion of the installation, tiles leave to dry. The time of frozen solution depends on the type of mixture. When it fully captures, the cross-shaped struts are removed, the seams are filled with sealant or grout. In the gaps along the walls, it is better to immediately use silicone waterproof compounds.
On the wall
Unlike the floor, the wall tile is much more diverse in its composition. It uses decorative bricks and clinker elements, panels and decorators of different shapes, sized. All this makes the layout more complex, so when the first independent execution of work is better to give preference to the easiest options for tiles – square, small size.
- Marking. It is made taking into account the allowances on the seams according to the thickness of the cross-shaped tabs.
- Montage guide. It can be the usual aluminum profile. It is attached to the lower edge of the second row. It is from here to work. In this case, you do not have to have clipped parts at the top.
- Application of the mix. It can only be applied on the tile from the wrong side or also on the base. Each element is leveling and markup.
- Print tile. When laying, cross-shaped strips are inserted between elements. The tiles themselves are fought by a rubber hammer. For 1 time no more than 3 rows are laid, otherwise the offset will begin. Excess the mixture is erased with sponge.
Upon completion of the work, the lower row of coatings is laid out, it can be supplemented by a border or other decorative elements. Drying is carried out at room temperature, until the glue is completely frozen. After that, you can wait 2-3 days, and then go to the grout of the seams.
Read more about laying tiles on OSB-slabs See next video.