The essence of welding consists in strong heating of metal surfaces and connecting them between themselves hot. With cooling, metal parts are turned out to be tightly connected with each other. Quite otherwise the case is with cold welding. Under this title, we are offered a certain substance that can not have anything in common with the welding machine.
The concept of “cold welding” is a beautiful marketing stroke, which firmly entered our use. It means greater bonding strength, which can be compared with the real welding seam. Cold welding implies strong component glue, which is created from epoxy resins, reinforcing powders and thickeners.
Before we consider application options, It is necessary to familiarize yourself with the varieties of this material and how to apply it.
- The point material is used to work with tires, handles, lining, used for the manufacture of ribbed coolers.
- Suture welding is used in hermetic structures. The scope of its application is huge and diverse. Such welding is convenient in operation and demonstrates high connections. Working with this material implies the use of contour punches.
- The butt method of applying helps in the production of rings and connecting wires by the ends.
- The tavary method allows you to connect brass studs and aluminum conclusions, for example, with transformer windings, busbar of electrical locomotives.
- Welding shift reversed when repairing the heating and water supply system, in case of operation with adapters in railway lines. Electrical
Another classification is based on the consistency and composition of the material.
- Liquid material consists of two components that you want to mix with each other. Connection of glue and hardener is performed before applying to the surface.
- Plasticine material is produced in the form of a bar. It can be homogeneous or consist of several layers. Before working a bar need to mix and well soften.
The following classification is based on the target purpose of the material.
- Welding for working with metals has a metal component in its composition. Such material is suitable for working with any metals and connects them no worse than ordinary welding.
- Material for repair of automotive parts consists of a metal component, can withstand high workloads, can operate at high temperature and frost.
- Universal glue is able to connect all materials without exception. With this advantage, welding is less durable compared to narrowly-controlled options.
- For work in special conditions, for example, underwater, specialized compositions are produced.
Where you can apply?
Cold welding – a unique product, it can be used in a large number of cases. True, there are some limitations, all the same glue is not such an all-mixture, as I would like.
Consider cases when the use of adhesive epoxy composition is recommended.
- With this welding, metals are very well connected. Even heterogeneous materials can be glued with high reliability.
- Hard plastic is also well fixed with an innovative material. Why exactly such? The reason is the hard junction, which forms welding after frozen. With flexible details, hard butt does not combine.
- Ceramic tile is perfectly fixed due to liquid cold welding. Checked on experience: the crack will go through the tile, but not through the seam. The place treated with glue will remain unchanged.
- Stone and glass tightly glued to the base and are firmly held for several years.
- Outdoor coating (carpet, linoleum, carpet) fix with cold welding conveniently and reliable. You can simply glue them to the floor or make a beautiful butt – in any case will be correct.
- Plumbing area – the perfect front of work for this material. Cold welding can work perfectly when in contact with water. This circumstance does not affect the strength of gluing or the durability of the seam. This feature allows you to close the leaks without the need to descend water. This fact is actively used in the event of damage to the heating system, water supply or drainage.
Such a repair will allow not only to hold out for some time (the end of the heating season, global repair, heat offensive), the seam will be firmly recorded for several years.
Repair of car silencers does not imply capital troubleshooting, but go for some time with comfort. The glue will not suffer from heating, will not crumble, but before purchasing it, it is necessary to study the temperature at which such material can be used.
Cold welding is a unique invention, which has the highest degree of versatility. In the home set of tools, this adhesive material is thoroughly prescribed and is not going to lose its position.
How to use?
Some proportion of popularity and demanding cold welding is provided by the convenience and simplicity of its use. No need to have skills to work with complex equipment, also do not need professional tools and expensive consumables. All that will be required of the user is a detailed study of simple instructions and compliance with it in the process.
- Working surfaces need careful preparation. This stage is important, it determines the success of the final result. The surfaces on which glue composition will be applied, it is necessary to thoroughly clean from pollution and handle sandpaper: roughness will provide higher adhesion.
Also the workfield should be degreased. To do this, you can use acetone. This preparation can be considered completed.
- In most cases, cold welding sticks to the hands, which complicates the process of creating a smooth and beautiful seam. Eliminate this problem by wetting hands. It will not affect the operational characteristics, but the mass will be more obedient.
- When working with two-component materials, it is necessary to mix glue and hardener. Plasticine welding is mixed until a homogeneous mass is obtained, in a liquid version, two components are connected to each other. It is necessary to do this before applying, a job is given for about three minutes. During mixing, the mass can highlight heat.
- Prepared material is applied to the workspace, in the location of the future seam. Adhesive mass is distributed over the surface, pressed and smoothed. It is necessary to achieve maximum tightness.
- When the planes are connected, they must be fixed using the clamps. In this case, the seam will be much stronger and more reliable. Special harnesses are used to work with pipes. When gluing the floor covering applied roller rollers.
- The full time of frozen can be varied, depending on the manufacturer, the type of adhesive composition and the thickness of the seam.
- After the complete pouring of the glue, you can engage in putty, painting and other repair work.
You can not violate the instructions, it can lead to a reduction in the life and decrease in the characteristics.
When working with cold welding, it is necessary to protect yourself and protect against the harmful effects of some components.
To do this, it is necessary to strictly observe precautions.
- In the hands it is necessary to wear gloves that protect the skin against the fall of the resins (epoxy, amine), various fillers and hardeners.
- After completion of the work, the hands must be carefully flushed under running water with soap.
- The room should be ventilated during operation. In the absence of such an opportunity, at the end of work, it is necessary to organize a good room, and when contacting with glue, use personal protective equipment for respiratory organs.
- When glue hitting the skin or in the eye, it is immediately necessary to rinse them under running water. Should immediately consult a doctor.
- You can not break the rules for storing adhesive composition. Typically, the manufacturer does not recommend violating the original packaging, and it is necessary to store the glue at a temperature of +5 to + 30 ° C.
- Packaging with glue should be away from children.
Finally, we advise you to familiarize yourself with useful tips, which will make it easier for work, will help to avoid mistakes and allow the first time to achieve an excellent result.
- When exposed to warm air, the mass hardening occurs faster. To reduce the time of frozen, you can use a construction hairdryer or even an ordinary household appliance. You can also warm the surface before applying glue, for example, linoleum.
- In the field of application, which is hidden from the eyes, you need to act very carefully.
- Choosing universal material, you need to remember its reduced strength. If there is an opportunity to buy narrow glue, then you need to choose it.
- When choosing an adhesive composition, you should carefully examine the packaging for integrity and pay attention to the date of production.
For details on the use of cold welding, see the video below.