Plasterboard (GVL) – the most popular building material. One of the main elements of GVL structures is fasteners, from the quality of which the strength and durability of the entire collected design depends on. Such fasteners are self-tapping screws – a kind of hybrid drill and screw.
Self-tapping screw – a special fastener, which is capable of cutting into the production of fasteners at the same time. Functionally a type of screw, but has a thinner rod and a greater height of thread. Safety of people depend on the quality of fasteners together with the strength of the design. Therefore, acquiring these products, it is recommended to require a certificate of conformity that each manufacturer must be obtained in specially accredited certification centers.
Self-timers, anchors and screws are used for fasteners of plasterboard sheets. The most common type of fasteners are self-tapping screws, which is determined by simplicity, versatility and reliability (with proper execution), especially if the screwdriver is under hand.
Installation, as a rule, implies the presence of metal or wooden frames to which plasterboard sheets and are attached. It is the framework material that determines the type of fasteners subject to use when mounting. Self-tapping screws are produced with a rarest thread pitch than metal screws.
The main materials for the manufacture of screws are steel and brass. The first have high strength, but subject corrosion. Therefore, they are coated with an anti-corrosion protective layer, oxidized or phosphatized, which gives them black painting.
Brass fasteners – yellow color. By itself, racks to moisture, however has low strength.
Dimensions (length and diameter) fasteners largely determine its scope. In practice, depending on the purpose, the fastep is used with a length of 10-15 mm and a diameter of 3.5-5 mm. Such a wide range of product parameters determines the variety of models species, their purpose, and therefore the importance of the right choice of fasteners for each individual case.
When working on plasterboard for the selection of self-seases, special sizes tables use. It indicates the nominal diameters of products, their lengths, including a hat, and width.
An important issue in working with plasterboard is also the question of how much fasteners leaves 1 square meter of the product. This parameter must be optimal: on the one hand, ensure the proper strength of the structure, and on the other, it is to ensure savings spent.
Self-tapping screws differ in many respects:
- high carbon steel;
- Sustainable types of steel to chemicals and water (stainless or alloy steel).
By type of thread
- without cover.
By type of tip
- For installation of GLC;
- for roofing work;
- wood work;
- work with windows;
- Metal work;
- Work with concrete and brick.
More detailed fasteners are divided into universal carvings, with a rare thread and frequent. Fastening products with rapid threads are used to work with metal.
The presence of a drill self-proof at the end relieves the need to pre-put the material that accelerates the installation work.
Types of fasteners with non-smooth carvings are designed to work with soft textures: plastic, plaster, asbestos, wood and other types. Universal fasteners are suitable for almost any texture.
Hats of selflessness functional. They are made secret, hemispherical, with large and small presss, hexagon, funnel-shaped under the hexagon.
Self-tapping screws for each type of work have various parameters and design features. It is for this reason that, buying a product, it is important to imagine what types of work will be made and with what textures to deal with.
There is also a special combination with drywall: Self-tapping screw and a butterfly dowel.
What to choose?
Choosing the type of fastener for GLK, it is important to know:
- Frame material (wood, metal, other);
- What exactly the fasteners are designed;
- How many layers are to lay a plasterboard sheet;
- Operating conditions for construction (indoors, in air, humidity level and other).
If working in the “GLK-Metal” system is needed, then the fastener is selected for work on the metal – with “thick” carvings. In the case of a wooden frame, fasteners should have a wider thread rate.
If you just need to fix the shelf on drywall, you can use a self-tapping screw with a dowel “Butterfly”, equipped with a resistant device dropped from the reverse side and able to withstand high loads.
To lay the sheets of GLC in 1 layer, the length of the fastener is 25 mm, in 2 layers – 35 mm. Thickness by carving in both cases – 3.5 mm.
If the product from G CLEV has to function at an elevated moisture level, it is necessary to use moisture-resistant fasteners: alloyed or galvanized.
For work, the so-called “bugs” can be useful – shortened screws with a drill applied to the profile attachment. Profile fixation straight to the wall or ceiling is performed by anchor screws with dowels.
The fastener consumption directly depends on the quality of self-soles, which is important to consider when choosing them:
- In appearance, the screws must be the same size, with uniform threads, not to have thickens and penetration, which reduces its strength.
- The slotted hole must be clear and placed strictly in the center of the screw of the screw. Various types of influx, bulbs are technological marriage. Notechnological Slot affects the quality of installation, can deform the nozzle screwdriver.
- In color, the entire batch of self-tapping screws should be a uniform dark or grayish black shade, which indicates good quality when phosphating or oxidizing products. Otherwise, the increase in humidity leads to the manifestation of rusty divorces, for example, under the wallpaper, the elimination of which is extremely difficult.
Reliable manufacturer, as a rule, marks products not only on the package, on the product. For example, letters X, T, W, G, Z on the hat screw. So, the letter X denotes Omax, which is one of the reliable fasteners manufacturers.
To work on a gas concrete, a special group of self-tapping screws is produced, which takes into account his porosity and fragility, which received Nazania from begging – universal types of fasteners, its “Christmas” varieties.
Without dowels, the fasteners on a gas concrete force are practically not applied due to its special structure and are usually used for fixing small weight structures. For example, for the equipment of the reinforced network on a gas-concrete wall before its plastering, fasteners are used with a wide step of thread and no less than 100 mm long.
For fastening the roofing to the crate we need galvanized screws with a 6-face head of the following dimensions: 4.8 × 16 mm and 4.8 × 19 mm.
To perform large fasteners In the professional equipment of the GLC toolkit necessary for installation:
- Perfederator or shock drill;
- screwdriver with which it is convenient and quickly fastening the fasteners;
- Specialist for cutting sheets;
- needle roller for flexing GLK;
- Rocking plans for processing the edge of the GLC;
- Bulgarian and special parts for cutting profile;
- Speckens in order to fix profile (with their help easily connect the profile between themselves as a rivet system);
- Gas gun for installation of GKL;
- The ribbon screwdriver reduces the installation time, as the screws are applied automatically due to the special tape;
- Special operators for cutting holes for sockets, lamps or camshafts;
- Disk cutter for cutting smooth material strips;
- Pobbler for the production of holes in the profile;
- Set of diabetes of various lengths, with frequent and rare carvings, with serifs on the reverse side and other types of fasteners.
Complete with professional tools usually there is still a number of different devices that significantly accelerating the installation process of the GCC and the profile.
To perform one-time work for home, it makes no sense to acquire expensive equipment (perforators, pistols, etc.), since it is easy to always find any alternative and more economical option. However, when hiring installers, it is necessary to pay attention to their intensity.
The correct installation of GLC provides for the need to comply with a number of rules:
- Preliminary and accurate layout of the holes for connecting drywall and the profile between themselves not only allows you to increase the aesthetics of the product, but also increase its strength.
- Exemplary fastener consumption for one sheet of GLC standard sizes – no more than 70 pieces (with a generally accepted fastener step between holes – 300-350mm).
- Practical and more efficiently carry out the installation of HCL using a screwdriver, applying various nozzles (bits) for different Self Slots.
- During the fastener, the first half of the self-press should be screwed up with the maximum speed, the second to be twisted at the minimum speed to fully monitor the degree of immersion of self-pressing in the leaf of plasterboard.
- Plasterboard – fragile material, and therefore accuracy and accuracy are important in working with self-draws. If during the fastener of the sheet was deformed, you need to unscrew the screw, sharpen the deformed hole and screw the new one at a distance of about 50 mm from the old hole.
- The hat of the screwed screw should be deepened into the material not deeper than 1 mm, and its location should be strictly perpendicular to the surface of the sheet.
- At the end of work, it is important to check how correctly all the self-tapping screws are screwed up.
For mounting 2 wooden elements, it is recommended to use black screws with rare thread. In this case, the preliminary severity is not produced. For fasteners of other elements, yellow or white screws are applied to the tree. Silver screws are used for a more durable fastening of sheet material.
Tips and recommendations
Self-removal consumption of 1 m2 sheet GLC depends on the optimal size of its step, which Selected based on the following features:
- Practice shows that the design of the middle strength has a step of 300-350 mm (the distance between the holes);
- To enhance the plasterboard design, the distance between the holes can be slightly reduced, sometimes up to 100 mm;
- approach the self-edge to the edge of the sheet in less than 10mm should not be avoided.
In working with a strengthened profile (for example, a 2mm thickness) should be used with a drill with a drill, which will save from an additional operation – preliminary severity – and significantly reduce the time of operation.
To suspend various elements of the interior, it is better to use a “butterfly” dowel, which is revealed after installation and forms reliable emphasis. Installation of such a dowel is made as follows: in the wall drilled hole with a diameter equal to the diameter of a dowel, longer than 5 mm fasteners. After cleaning the hole inserted a dowel, and then installed fasteners. One such “butterfly” is able to withstand up to twenty-five kilograms of weight.
Self-tapes are used to work with wood, as a rule, 24 mm. For a metal frame, experts recommend applying selflessness with a small hat, because they are more convenient to hide under trim.
After execution of the markup, they are advised to perform a preliminary severity of the hole with a thin drill of a depth of no more than 3 mm. In the future, it provides high-quality and reliable fastening.
The installation of HCL to the ceiling profile is recommended to produce with a special forces that limits the depth of drilling under the set size. The hand cap of the finally screwed screws should be located at one level with the surface of the sheet.
With a multi-layer design to increase its rigidity, elongated self-tapping screws are used, which are installed more often – with increments of 200-400 mm.
How to properly twist screws in plasterboard, you can learn from the video below.