To update the interior, it is not necessary to make overhaul and spend great money for the purchase of new furniture. If the house is furnished with wooden tables, couches and cabinets, which are in excellent condition, you can paint them by choosing any shade, and in such a way to refresh the interior design.
The choice of finishing material may take a little time, if you know, for what purpose it will be purchased. The market presents a rich assortment of paints from different manufacturers, but they have various properties and advantages. It is necessary to study all the characteristics and understand the features to find what will meet the claims.
To give the life of the old furniture, which is in a children’s or other room, it is recommended to use funds with the following qualities:
- moisture resistance;
- environmental Safety;
- ease of care for painted surfaces;
- mechanical load resistance;
- fire resistance;
- decorative qualities;
- Shelting abilities ingredients.
The sharp smell is observed only in materials based on organic solvents, so the home interior is often used compositions on a water-emulsion basis. In addition to the absence of a sharp smell, paints have both other advantages. They are made of natural ingredients, and therefore are an environmentally friendly product.
Suitable for any type of surface, capable of drying quickly and offered at affordable prices in wide range of colors.
Of course, it is impossible not to note the small minuses that you can simply not notice. For example, the water-emulsion coloring compositions are short-lived, although with a neat handling of furniture on this, you can not pay attention. It is necessary to use such a place in rooms where the minimum humidity, since white or color paint is easily washed off. But this is a good news for those who have made an unsuccessful work, because the error can be eliminated. You can also find products that does not smell, but at the same time suitable for rooms with high humidity.
What to pay attention to?
To make a profitable purchase, you need to pay attention to product characteristics:
- Of great importance is the composition of the dye, in which there should be particles of the pigment of the required shade;
- One of the main criteria is a binder, since it is a database and creates a film protection on the surface that will be processed;
- Reliability and durability also play their role in the presentation and safety of furniture;
- Special properties of the coating give additional additives, which should be indicated in a detailed description of the product;
- Some funds have durability, so suitable for flooring;
- To obtain decorative properties, shine and reliability, the presence of special safety fillers in the coloring substance;
- It is important to take into account the type of material that will be painted: for furniture, which is in the heated children’s room, the paint must withstand an elevated temperature;
- The coloring composition should quickly dry;
- The composition of paint should be fire-resistant;
- It is also necessary to pay attention to the breed and wood texture from which the product is made.
Types of colors
In the appearance of paints for wood can be divided into three varieties:
- Transparent coatings (glaze, transparent varnishes, impregnating means);
- opaque enamel;
- Dispersion coloring compositions.
The leader among the wide range can be called acrylic paint, which is distinguished by the speed of drying and does not have a toxic smell, which means completely safe for humans and the environment. It is suitable for any type of coatings and different wood breeds. The main advantage is concluded in good adhesion, so this composition can be covered by chipboard, MDV, Phaneur and OSP.
The material is proposed in white, and to achieve the desired shade, you can use a special color than which is added in the appropriate proportion.
Water-emulsion paints, which are based on latex, penetrate the structure of the wooden surface and then create a film that protects against moisture. So the product is easy to care and wipe the dust without harm. In this case, the tool has good breathability, which means that bubbles on the furniture will not appear. There is a minus minus that is better to consider before painting. Such material is not suitable for use in a low temperature room, as it can crack.
This coating is different from previous varieties in the following features:
- not exposed to moisture and steadily before abrasion;
- If there are cracks on furniture during the restoration during the restoration, then due to the elasticity of the material they are easily close;
- In the case of use of white paint, it is not necessary to worry about what it will yellow, because it is not subject to this;
- Many consumers attracts that a lot of dust will be accumulated on the surface, painted with a water-emulsion silicone agent;
- Such a coating is considered one of the most durable;
- During operation, you can not worry about the sharp smell;
- It can be used for painting facades – this will extend the life of the surface;
- Such products are offered at a high price, although it is justified by excellent characteristics and best quality.
Water dispersive paints
With the appearance of such products on the shelves, enamel and ordinary varnishes stopped being so relevant. This classification can be attributed to alkyd paint, which is suitable for those who tired old furniture atmosphere, and I want to update anything. This option is great for restoration, besides offered at an affordable price.
These are high hydrophobicity, and the film that is created during staining will not penetrate the wood. Alkyd materials are suitable for products that are indoors with high humidity, for example, bathrooms or kitchens.
Tips for choosing
For updating a cottage, it is better to use safe types of paints.
The material must meet the following requirements:
- lack of smell;
- a durable coating that can be washed;
- color resistance;
- Easy operation.
At the same time, it is important to pay attention to whether the paint is allergic causes. The main characteristic for the restoration of the old furniture in the children’s room – water based material. If you use acrylic paint, which is offered in different color solutions, before applying it is necessary to use the primer. Latex funds are also suitable, as they meet the requirements. They are considered stronger and elastic.
Summing up, we can say that for residential premises with children it is recommended to use paint materials exclusively without smell and not representing the danger of health to all family members. Preferred products costs, which contains natural components. It is also necessary to consider the type of room where painting will be held, and thanks to a wide variety you can upgrade the furniture in the style that is required.
Buying products from leading manufacturers, you can save ourselves from low-quality materials.
In the old days, people often gave the furniture to the restoration, especially if it represented value and much meant for the owners. So, having a black chest of drawers or chairs from grandmother, who are incredibly expensive, do not need to throw them due to their unsuitability. For a start, you can repair them, and then do finish. Choosing paint for wooden products, you need to stick to the rules described above, to obtain a positive result.
Tips for choosing paint for wooden furniture See next video.