The modern building materials market offers many different means for outdoor and interior decoration, as well as to create an original design. At the same time, natural raw materials are valued above artificial. Such natural materials include wood. It requires a special relationship and processing.
Why need a spacure?
Unprocessed wood very quickly comes in disrepair. Over time, there are certainly cracked on it, and natural color fades, it becomes dark. In order to save the natural pattern, the structure and quality of the tree, it must be processed by certain means. To those belong to putty.
Possessing excellent moisture-repellent properties, it protects the surface from negative external influences. It must be applied before painting. In this case, the coating will be labeled smaller and will last much longer. Also putty prevents the evaporation of the liquid and dry the wood itself. It allows you to get rid of small irregularities, bitch and other defects.
Compositions for internal and external work
Processing accounted for objects and surfaces located both indoors and outdoors. It is logical to assume that the means for outdoor and internal works should be different. At the same time, both compositions are required to meet certain requirements.
In any case, the putty must have the following properties:
- push out
- prevent wood drying;
- Masking small irregularities and defects;
- emphasize natural invoice;
- have excellent adhesion (grip) with a surface;
- Improve wood structure.
Manufacturers are trying to satisfy these requirements to protect these requirements in whether. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to create a single universal agent, equally good suitable for internal and external work.
Different conditions of use led to the fact that there are several main types of putty. Each of them has individual features. To understand what suitable for you, it is necessary to figure out that they represent themselves.
Putclones can be the following types:
Refers to the category of universal funds. Suitable not only for wood, but also for processing seams of sheets of chipboard and ceramic tiles. The material is very plastic, so no special skills are required when working with it. With all the advantages there are also their minuses: it does not close the large defects, it cannot be applied with a thick layer. The optimal is considered a thickness of 2-3 mm, although if after each layer it is thoroughly dry, then it is permissible to apply thicker layers.
A feature of this type of putty is a way to use it. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the instructions before starting work. The fact is that it will be necessary to mix 2 components, as a result of which the chemical reaction will start. The resulting mixture hardly solidifies. The exact time will be indicated on the package.
An indisputable plus is a very durable coating that is formed after drying. Due to this, it can safely be used to repair and eliminate essential defects on various wood products: windows, doors, plinths. Of the disadvantages, it is possible to highlight the impossibility of applying various sampling on top of this putty.
Traditional species of putty, which has long gained folk confidence and love. It may seem strange, since in its technical properties it is significantly inferior to his fellows. But he has one undeniable dignity – this is the price. If you need to process a large area, the choice of expensive options can significantly increase the cost of work.
Gypsum-based putty is afraid of moisture, for this reason it is contraindicated to use for external work.
One of the most successful options for internal work. Find obvious disadvantages are very difficult. The only thing that can keep the purchase is a relatively high product cost.
Unquestible advantages include the following:
- Ecology: fully safe and non-toxic;
- rapid drying (although a little inferior to acrylic analogues);
- No sharp odor;
- lack of shrinkage;
- Moisture resistance: can be used even in rooms with high humidity and for external work;
- makes large mechanical loads (you can use for floors and parquet);
- Elasticity: not cracking over time.
It is this kind of putty takes particular popularity due to its excellent performance properties and versatility.
Long known and proven species of putty. The main components here are Olife, glue, chalk. Used for internal works. The composition is easily distributed over the surface. After complete drying, the treated surface becomes much stronger.
This species is well suited for external work. Moisture-resistant putty, which, due to its properties, is great for outdoor work. Even after a long operation, you will not notice on the treated surface of cracks and squeezing. Such properties can boast very few of her fellow.
Regardless of whether you plan to paint the wood in the future or leave natural texture, putty will protect the product or surface from aggressive climatic whims and rapid aging. The stores present a wide palette of shades and colors, so you can easily choose the perfect option. In addition, it perfectly emphasizes the natural drawing of wood, without masking and without hiding it.
Start or Finish: What to choose?
Running a classification of putty in composition and type of work, you can not miss another important point. Will this processing only be prepared by the preparatory stage to subsequent manipulations with wood, or this is the final layer. It all depends on the initial state of the surface and your idea.
Starting putty has more large particles, What creates a more dense layer. If necessary, it can be applied in several steps to achieve the desired result.
The finishing putty can be the first and only layer or applied on a pre-prepared surface. It lies with a thin layer and makes the surface as smooth as possible and smooth.
Wood putty do it yourself
Manufacturers every year try to improve their putty composition so that they maximize consumer requirements. But today, a very high-quality putty on a tree can be made independently. For this, no exclusive components or special devices will be required.
The simplest recipe for the preparation of putty at home is the compound of PVA and chalk adhesive. Just grind the chalk and thoroughly stir in the glue. Consistency should resemble a thick sour cream. Application technique exactly the same as in the option with a purchase product. It is only worth considering that dry it will be at least a day.
In the presence of serious defects, if the old wood, we advise you to add very small sawdust. This will allow you to hide all the shortcomings and give aesthetic species.
To achieve the elasticity of putty, if you take a water-soluble varnish as the basis. If necessary, as in the previous case, sawdust. The homogeneity of the composition in this case can be achieved by connecting the components and leaving the mixture at night. Sawdust will scatter and become softer.
How to get the perfect result?
Even if you have already decided what kind of putty you need, It is worth listening to the recommendations of specialists and their advice so that the result will ultimately disappointed you:
- Initially, try the putty on a separate segment of the surface or, if there is no such possibility, on a plot that will not be visible. During work, pay attention to all the little things: how the putty falls, how fills the cracks, as it grinds after drying. Agree, if the result does not suit you, it is more profitable to buy another putty than throwing a product from expensive wood or an old furniture item.
- Even if you are confident as a composition and the future, it is rarely possible to accurately predict a shade, which will be in the process of applying. It depends on the manufacturer, and on the characteristics of the wood. In this case, you can buy several shades immediately, or after processing the test site go to the store after another. Often it is necessary to manually mix a few shades to achieve the perfect result.
- Pay attention to the den. If you do not need to mask serious defects, then choose more liquid compositions: polymer or water. They will protect the tree and the most will show its beauty. Solvent-based masses are more suitable for surfaces that require serious reconstruction.
- Drying time also matters. If you need to close deep cracks, you will have to put a putty into several layers. Moreover, each of them must be good, before the next. In this case, it is better to use solvent-based putter.
- Perhaps one of the most important conditions is to determine exactly what kind of work will be used putty. The same composition is not suitable for internal, and for outdoor work.
Wood – unusually beautiful and eco-friendly material. Save its structure will help putting wood. The main thing is to pick up the one that is suitable for your type of work and the original state of the surface.
About how to make a putty on the tree yourself, look in the following video.