There are quite a few pieces of decor made of plastic. This modern and user-friendly material has deserved consumer recognition and widespread in repair and finishing. But often, with active operation, plastic parts, the colorful layer can suffer greatly. The surface becomes muddy, the color burns out, and the paint layer can peel and crumble.
Using paint in the canopy, it is easy to update the victims of the parts with your own hands, or completely repaint in another color.
Paints selection nuances in canvas
First of all, you need to know from which type of plastic your items are made, since the further choice of the properties of the dye and the technology of its application depends on the material.
- ABS (acrylonitrilebutadienstyrene) – made of it, household and computer equipment, mobile phones and more.
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride) – Window structures, floor coverings, children’s toys and goods, some types of household tanks.
These two types of plastics are distinguished by the fact that when they paint it is a prerequisite for the application of primer. Its presence gives a high-quality grip of paint with the surface, which eliminates the subsequent details and cracks. If you do not own information about what type of plastic you have in your hands, there is a simple method for checking.
Fill the container with water where your plastic part fit freely (with the exception of large-sized items). Lower the subject. If plastic sinks, it means that the primer is not required. You can apply paint immediately to the surface. If your item remains in the flood, you need to purchase a primer spray. Without it, paint will shorten.
Pros and cons of aerosol enamel
Aerosol paints are easy to use. You do not need special skills, training or additional expensive equipment. Enough to stick to simple recommendations from the manufacturer.
The advantages of enamel also include:
- Smooth smooth surface. Modern heads from the balonchikov are made in such a way as to imitate the torch of paint collapse. This allows you to achieve uniform spraying of enamel, due to which it turns out a smooth, smooth surface layer.
- Drying speed. Aerosol paint dries very quickly, which is undoubted convenience, t. To. You do not have to spend a lot of time to work and speed up drying with additional methods.
- Efficiency of expense. Balloon enamel is consumed slowly and one canister grabs a large surface.
- Establishment of storage. There is no need to create special conditions for storing unused residues, overflow and carefully close, as in the case of canine paint. Enamel in the cylinder is stored for a very long time and reliable.
- Big palette of colors and structures. This allows you to achieve a large artistic expressiveness and imitate many surfaces, for example, under metal.
However, the surface of the coating using a small spray can. It is impossible to mix paint to obtain the desired shade. As a rule, there is a certain set of color gamut, so it’s not always possible to get into the tone of wallpaper or the window details.
Complex shades and in the desired quantity can be ordered in the color-based laboratories, but it will cost much more expensive.
Minuses of aerosol paint:
- If you bring the aerosol too close to the surface to be painted, smooth plastic can be formed. To work with the cans, you need to purchase skills and skills.
- Large splashing area. Elements for painting will have to either dismantle, or protect against splashing with film and special, paper tape adjusting surfaces.
- Limited paint density. You will not be able to regulate the degree of coverage or transparency of paint, you will have to work with the degree of enamel degree, which is provided by the manufacturer.
- Temperature mode of work. Performing the color of the outer elements must be carried out in warm, madness, sunny weather. In the case of wind or precipitation, the result is unpredictable.
- Some paints may contain acetone and its derivatives. Be sure to learn the composition and consult on this issue with the seller. Acetone-containing enamels can seriously damage plastic.
Types of paints for plastic
- Polymer. Mostly it is a highly gloss paint, combining both properties and paints, and soil. In addition, this enamel does not require applying a varnish layer, she herself gives a high level of gloss on the surface. Polymer paints are both water permeable and waterproof.
- Polyurethan. This enamel based on polyurethane resins has high wear resistance, durability and wonderful gloss. The composition allows you to create a durable coating, which is not scary daily friction, small blows and sharp objects. This paint provides for the use of primer material and is suitable exclusively for applying strange parts, since the colorful layer has a significantly higher strength than plastic. On the items made of soft bending plastics are inevitable detachment.
- Structural. This paint has a special particles that create a textural surface resembling a semolina with a different scale of graininess. This property will successfully help hide any imperfections of plastic.
- Softtach (Softouch). Paint allows you to create a pleasant velvety or velor surface. This kind of color, gives the product an expensive appearance and pleasant to the touch texture.
Automotive paints and their features
For painting plastic with their own hands, you can use specialized automotive paints and primers.
- Base under varnish. This type of enamel must be applied to a special primer in plastic, which will increase its adhesion with the surface of the part. In conclusion, the stainable area must be covered with aerosol varnish. Basic enamel can be like simple colors and with metallic effect and pearl, which allows you to transform interior items.
Paint has a rich range of colors, including options for “under gold” or “under silver”, with various grain size – from very small to large, with bright sparkling flakes.
- Enamel with chromium effect. Allows you to create a surface close in appearance to chrome. The effect of a well-polished mirror, bribes its beauty and looks expensive, at the same time, will not hit the budget.
- Paint with an Effect of Aluminum. Enamel has a fine and dense dye grinding, so that the effect of the reverse side of the aluminum foil is created on the surface. Mirror glitter is missing, but there is a soft delicate glow.
Along with the base under varnish, paints with different effects are made under gold, platinum, antique silver or copper. Have the most small grinding of the dye, due to which it creates a reliable imitation of precious metal.
- Vinyl paints. If you are an amateur design of interior items under the skin, then this paint is your option. Any plastic surface painted by vinyl enamel, externally and touch will be as much as possible with leather products. Plus this paint – plasticity and elevated level of adhesion, which makes it possible to exclude the primer. You can not be afraid of cracks and chips, it is excluded.
- High temperature enamel. Of course, the interior items are unlikely to heat up to temperatures that can withstand this enamel. But if you wish to repaint or update the surface of the electric kettle, vacuum cleaners, plastic parts of the coffee machines, which are somehow heated, then high-temperature paints will come to help you.
Before painting parts need:
- Clean the plastic surface with sandpaper with abrasiveness of about 1500-200 grit;
- Degrease the place of the alleged application of the enamel with a alcohol cleaner using a lounge napkin;
- Before painting the main detail, it is necessary to practice on an unnecessary piece of plastic: determine the pressure on the sprayer head and select the optimal distance from the spray.
On how to paint plastic on your own, you will learn from the following video.