The sealant is considered the best tool to seal seams and joints. With it, you can bonding various surfaces.
The sealant is a pasty or viscous composition, which is based on polymers and oligomers. This mixture is used to work with bolted, rivet and other connections to eliminate the leakage of the working fluid through the existing gaps. Also, this material is used for waterproofing and sealing of different items.
If we talk about the peculiarities of this product, you should familiarize yourself with the main advantages that are peculiar to sealant.
On the example of silicone mixture, the following advantages can be distinguished:
- The mixture has a high degree of resistance to humidity and a pair, temperature differences and UV rays. Therefore, the sanitary sealant is actively operated for sealed bathrooms, car units, mirrors, as well as when processing window frames;
- With this session, you can produce high-quality sealing of seams in the bathroom or eliminate drafts in the window opening, since the material is characterized by high adhesion. You can also apply a mixture on the untreated surface;
- The material is able to easily bore non-porous surfaces and aluminum elements;
- The mixture is not exposed to aggressive detergents;
- long service life;
- The sealant is able to withstand the temperature mode up to +150 degrees;
- The substance may have a transparent or any other tint;
- The mixture has aesthetic appearance, which allows it not to spoil the appearance of processed objects;
- White sealant is considered a universal substance that is suitable for working with any surfaces.
There are several varieties of sealant, each of which is designed to work with a specific area.
- Acrylic. Such sealants belong to the category of the most affordable materials, since it can only be carried out internal work. The material is not resistant to atmospheric precipitation, temperature drops and is not able to withstand mechanical loads. However, such sealants demonstrate excellent grip with materials with a porous surface. It can be used to work with wood, brick, concrete, foam concrete, aerated concrete, plasterboard and plaster. Relying on the quality of the mixture, it can be used when installing wooden plinths, doorway, as well as during flooring.
The sealant is suitable for any internal processing in rooms where high mechanical exposures are not observed.
- Polyurethane. This material is an elastic mixture with adhesive qualities, which is distinguished by an increased level of adhesion relative to metallic, stone, ceramic, plastic, wooden and concrete surfaces. Masters use this species for external and internal works. Mixtures are not afraid of temperature drops, as well as impact of atmospheric precipitation. It has high resistance to corrosion and is subject to staining.
This type of sealants is often used in assembly and repair work with roof, air conditioning and ventilation systems, as well as in the tightness equipment of polyvinyl panels.
- Tyokolov. It is characterized by high resistance in relation to the effects of solvents, acids, alkalis, gasoline, kerosene and other oil lubricants. The mixture withstands the impact of precipitation, and is also able to carry the temperature from -500 to +1300 degrees. At the expense of its special qualities, sealant is used for events with objects that require an elimination of contact with different substances of chemical origin.
It is actively exploited for work on sealing on automotive gas stations, fuel stations of various types and in garages. Also thiocole sealants are often used during the repair work of the roof of metal.
- Bituminous. Such material is often used during construction work. It has high-quality clutch with foam concrete surfaces, brick, metal, wood and other roofing materials for waterproofing. When choosing bitumen sealant, consider that it does not have resistance to elevated temperatures, and acquires liquid shape.
The sealant is actively used in the equipment of the foundation, drainage systems, when installing the roof, elimination of cracks on the roof, as well as waterproofing of columns from metal and wood.
- Silicone. This species is a universal material that enjoys in high demand. Its popularity is due to high quality. The mixture is well withstanding any weather and aggressive conditions. It is capable of preserving its characteristics at temperature ranges from -300 to +600 degrees. Also, the material is characterized by a high level of elasticity, resistance to moisture and long service life.
When Silicone is frozen, it is impossible to paint it. This is due to the fact that the paint will be peeling. For this reason, you can find sealants of different colors on sale: black, white, gray and even red.
There are two types of silicone sealant:
Acid products are not suitable for working with metal objects, because the list of ingredients contains acetic acid that can cause corrosion. It is also not recommended to use this type of material when sealing items from cement.
Neutral mixture is considered universal. It is used in different fields. With it, you can make the engine sealing of the car and mirrors. Also Material Wears Other Name – Glass Sealant. There are heat-resistant varieties that are able to withstand up to +4000 degrees.
If fungicides are present in silicone sealant, the material is called “sanitary” or “sanitary”. He is able to eliminate the appearance of fungi, so actively used when working in the bathroom, in the kitchen and pools. This is the best suture sealant, which is capable of doing so that the shower will again become hermetic, as at the time of purchase.
How much driving?
There are several types of sealants, each of them has its own characteristics that are important to consider when using. Drying period is indicated by each manufacturer, so it is recommended to explore this information before purchasing.
Time to dry out sealants can be different.
- Neutral mixture dry completely in 3-4 weeks. It is long enough, but the surface will freeze after 20 minutes after 20 minutes;
- Universal sealants possess the same characteristics as neutral;
- Sanitary mixes formed film after 10 minutes. Every day dries 2 mm of material;
- Acrylic sealants are frozen in a couple of hours. Full-felting comes four weeks later.
You can speed up the drying process using ventilation. Regardless of the name of the brand, the time of drying all types coincides. Enjoys the sealant “moment” sealant, which freezes superficially after 15 minutes. Full frost occurs a day after applying.
Tips and recommendations
It is recommended to get acquainted with the tips to help quickly dry the surface:
- Increase the temperature in the room to +40 degrees;
- Maximum ventilation helps to frozen material;
- It is worth spraying seams with water, because moisture helps cut the polymerization.
When choosing sealant should know some features.
- Silicone white material is suitable for working with different surfaces, as it is considered standard.
- To remove the drafts, it is worth searching on the shelves of varieties stores that are aimed at work with outdoor seams. They well retain their qualities when the temperature drops and the effects of ultraviolet.
- Transparent compositions are suitable for closing the seams that are present on the components of dark wood.
- You can select a material that has identical color with the selected surface.
- Carefully worth studying the cartridge before buying. It is necessary to make sure that it is complete, and familiarize yourself with its composition. The more additives, the more elastic will be the composition.
- It is worth applying the seam of the desired thickness. It is impossible to impose a silicone sealant layer.
- If you need to seal the toilet, you should pay attention to the sanitary options.
Knowing the answers to these questions, you can avoid errors that often make newcomers.