When choosing the wallpaper, we should not forget that the wallpaper glue can show all the beauty of the canvase, securely securing them on the wall, or say that the repair ended unsuccessfully, and the wallpaper fell off. Foreign and domestic manufacturers offer a large selection of glue. Some formulations are applied directly on the canvas, others – on the wall or ceiling. There are those that are already applied to wallpapers, and you only need to moisten them with water to start sticking. The main thing is to choose the best glue for a specific type of wallpaper.
Features of the composition
Adhesive mixture is a dry powder more often than white. It is bred by water, and it becomes a viscous transparent or tinted mass. Mass consistency depends on the amount of added water.
The wallpaper adhesive consists of the following components:
- The basis having a large mass fraction. Methylcellulose or modified starch is predominantly used.
- Polyvinyl acetate (PVA) is a component of a mixture for vinyl canvases. This is a non-toxic substance of almost odorless, which does not represent danger to health. But at the same time it has beautiful adhesive properties.
- Bactericides and fungicides – anti-grib components that prevent the appearance of not only mold and fungus, but also insects.
In the room marked by wallpaper, people of different ages and health status will always be.
therefore It is necessary to choose the composition satisfying the following conditions:
- High level of environmental and safety. In the mixture should not be toxic substances. Instructions for this must be present on the package.
- Adhesive substance should be evenly dissolved in water. The diluted composition should not contain lumps.
- Modern industrial adhesives can be stored in the finished form for several days in a closed capacity in a cool place without changing their properties.
- When buying, you need to carefully examine the information on the package to better find out the characteristics of a specific adhesive mixture.
- The most important is the degree of adhesion, that is, adhesive ability. It is distinguished as the initial and final. The force of the hitch of the composition with the surface at the time of contact is called initial adhesion. The final adhesion is called the degree of clutch of the canvas with the surface after the glue dries. The numeric value of this indicator on the package is not found, but there is a verbal, speaking of high adhesive ability or good slide after contact with the wall. The glue mixtures with PVA have the highest degree of adhesion, methylcellulose – the average degree, and the modified starch – the lowest.
- Next feature – compatibility of adhesive composition with a wall or ceiling surface. A good manufacturer indicates whether this glue is suitable for wood, concrete, plaster or metal.
- The percentage of the content of fungicides is the third characteristic. Norm – no more than 3 percent. More damage to human health.
- PH level – balance, equal to 7 units – good acid alkaline. With this indicator, the wallpaper will not get yellow spots after drying.
- Moisture-resistant composition is important for highly wet rooms.
- Hygienic, lack of toxic substances and unpleasant odor.
Each composition has its own characteristics that affect compatibility with the surface.
Based on these features, all kinds were divided into 5 groups:
- Non-specialized For low-cost paper wallpapers. Consists of the base (97-100%), fungicide and bactericide (0-3%). Gradually comes out of use in mind the narrow.
- Glue for vinyl wallpaper Approximately 75% consists of the foundation, about 25% – PVA, from 0 to 3% – bactericide and fungicide. In addition to heavy vinyls, cloths are suitable for phlizelin, paper duplex, paper embossed, natural on textile base. Disadvantage of application for cheap wallpaper types – at a high price of glue.
- Universal The wallpaper adhesive composition is not in vain so called. Relatively high price and good adhesive qualities make such glue, according to manufacturers suitable for the above. But miracles does not happen: for vinyl heavy wallpapers, it is still better to choose a special mixture.
- Glue for flieslinic wallpaper Suitable for them and paper canvases. With heavier options he just won’t cope.
- Special mixture for glasses – this is the dispersion composition of increased strength. It is expensive glue, but it can be used for sticking textile, metallized, flieslinic, laminated canvases. It consists by 50% of the base, about 50% of PVA and no more than 3% of fungicide and bactericide.
And one more point: glue mixes are sold in plastic buckets in the finished form or in packages (and also in small buckets) – in a dry form.
Types of coverage
Compatibility of the three components: the surface of the wall (ceiling) – wallpaper – glue gives a guarantee that the wallpaper will rejoice the eye for a long time. But for this you need to get acquainted with the characteristics of the coating itself, that is, wallpaper. It will help better choose the right combination. There are about 10 types of wallpaper. Let’s focus on the most popular.
These wallpapers are perhaps the most popular. As a base for vinyl, use paper or fliesline. They cause vinyl film.
Depending on the method of application, wallpapers are divided into:
- Smooth – such a film resembles a ceramoplitter or a stone, sticking to relatively smooth walls without deep flaws;
- Foamed – the film breathable, hides the wall defects well;
- Solid due to a dense and rigid film imitating natural finishing materials (stone, brick, textiles, textural plaster); Such wallpapers are suitable for painting;
- Hot stamping canvas (silk-screen printing) – a thinner material, which is why all the construction flaws will be visible; Before sticking, you should make a substrate.
Vinyl wallpaper after drying the adhesive mixture give shrinkage and can form clearances. It is very important to take advantage of the right “vinyl” glue, so that the wallpaper does not fall from gravity.
The most disadvantage of wallpaper. In order for the wallpaper glue to stick through thin paper and left yellow spots, it is better to use synthetic mixtures. Glue the canvas is accurate, since it is very wetted from the adhesive composition and can go.
Fliselin is a compound of textile and cellulose fibers using a glass fiber type polymer. It is stronger than paper wallpaper, does not change its sizes at the time of sticking. Glue composition covers only the wall, which greatly facilitates the work. But the canvas is translucent, therefore the wall, and the ceiling must be carefully processed, and the glue should not contain insoluble lumps.
Such wallpapers will be salvation for houses where pets live or active children live: they are invisible traces of claws and blows of the ball or Lego. In addition, they do not harm multiple painting capable of updating the interior. Such wallpapers can be used as ceiling, because, firstly, due to a special particularly durable glue, they will be able to hold out a horizontal surface for a long time; Secondly, this is an eco-friendly breathable wall cover.
Such characteristics have liquid wallpaper. In appearance, these are completely different materials. If a special adhesive composition is created for the glass, which is applied to the wall before sticking, then dry glue is already included in the mixture of liquid wallpaper, which is mixed at the same time with all other components.
Differences in purpose
Choosing a mixture for gluing wallpaper can be made on the basis of personal experience, advertising manufacturers, commercial councils of friends and relatives, sales assistants. When asked, what advice to trust, the answer will be: to all and no one. After all, only the one who makes the repair knows the specifics of the surface and the type of wallpaper, as well as the humidity of the room. And most importantly, what needs glue: walls, ceiling, joints, borders.
For cloth wallpapers
As mentioned above, for cloth wallpapers of different types, manufacturers offer various types of compositions. Here you should add that the adhesives are not only transparent, translucent, but also with the color indicator. Such coloring pigment allows you to miss the canvas and walls without skipping areas. Thus, careful coating is guaranteed. If the adhesive through the junction hit the front side – it does not matter, after a while the indicator is discolored.
The price of such a mixture is more. Especially she can help beginners. If the sticking is carried out by professionals – you should not spend.
Since when the walls are pasting and the ceiling we are talking about large wallpaper canvases, the adhesive composition should provide a good coupling. To improve this quality, heavy wallpapers are released with a substrate, most often from paper or fliseline. But the eldest generation is well known to know another type of substrate under the wallpaper – newspapers, which were covered with walls. It was not an ideal solution: thin paper wallpaper was shone, typographic paint appeared through the canvas. That’s the idea of supplying wallpaper with a special lining material.
Now manufacturers offer substrates not easy to align the walls, but also insulation them in the process of sticking wallpaper. It is antibacterial, evenly absorbs glue, which avoids the appearance of air bubbles. It is noise insulating material. It is easy to cut, glue; It is not subject to rotting, moisture condensation, mold exposure. When changing wallpaper, the substrate remains on the wall, which considerably saves cash on alignment and insulation of walls.
But there is the possibility of alignment of the walls before sticking the wallpaper directly by the glue. This is a very frequent reception used by professionals and domestic masters. Such primers are made from a mixture of PVA and wallpaper glue. But, since many adhesive compositions already contain PVA, then mixing with something no need. Mention that glue can be used as a primer must necessarily be on the package.
The profitability of this method is that it is not necessary to buy special primers that can cost more, and still dry longer. Wait for the complete drying of the adhesive primer, depends on the composition: methylcellulose does not require complete drying, the starch must completely dry.
To prejudice the walls and ceiling by a mesh glue mixture, you need:
- Buy glue that can be used as a primer;
- 250-gram pack Dissolve in 5-6 liters of cold water, thoroughly stirring using a mixer;
- leave the composition for 5 minutes;
- add so much water to make a kefir consistency (most likely it will be a whole bucket of glue);
- fur roller (in the corners – tassel) to cubs the surfaces of the walls and the ceiling;
- Leave to dry for 4 hours.
When sticking can be covered with adhesive composition only one surface – wallpaper or wall (depending on the type of wallpaper), or both if the wallpaper is too heavy.
This is a special composition that is used to glue the canvas in hard-to-reach places: corners, battery, by window or door. It differs from any other wallpaper glue. He has a very high clutch speed with a surface. It is produced in a tube, has a dispenser and sometimes a brush for applying on the surface where it is difficult to get a tube.
As long as the glue for the seams is not drying, it is easily removed with water and a tissue napkin. After drying it is impossible. The usual composition in the hot battery or on a poorly projected wall can squeeze the wallpaper, and the docking seam in this place will disappear. With glue for joints, this does not happen. It is suitable for any kind of wallpaper.
The composition in the tube is already a working solution, it is not necessary to breed water. The only danger – in liquid state it is impossible to pour into the sewer, it will harm the environment. In dry form – completely safe. Many well-known companies produce adhesives for joints under their brand.
To glue the separated seams, you need to twist the edges of the surfaces of the cloth and flee them from the wall. Apply adhesive for joints, press to the surface and rolled with a roller for better hitch. To enhance the effect to the place of the joint, the cardboard is applied, and the joint is heated by a construction hairdryer.
For the decor and careful sizing the corners between the wall and the ceiling often use wallpaper borders. They are characterized by texture and relief. And glue for them need to use a special. His distinguishes delicious. In addition, he is quick-drying.
Bordeurians can be glued in two ways: with the help of the pitch between the canvas – flush and over wallpaper. Both methods must guarantee a thorough clutch with the surface. In the first case, the use of ordinary glue can lead to saved joints. In the second, with texture wallpaper, it is bad for them to stick.
Form of border glue packs can be different. Tube is most convenient for use.
How to do at home?
Due to different circumstances, there is a need to manufacture a wallpaper glue with their own hands. Prepare such a composition is not as difficult, and the components are not rare. There are several ways to cook tips.
The first method is for gluing paper, cardboard, wallpaper sticking:
- In the metal container, pour warm water and add rye or wheat flour to it (at the rate of 2 tablespoons of flour on 1 liter of water);
- On slow fire, cooking Clayer 5 minutes, stirring thoroughly.
The method of the second:
- In a bucket or pan, pour water and gradually pour flour (based on 1 part of flour and 3 parts of water);
- thoroughly stir the contents;
- On very slow fire, cook, constantly stirring, to a boil;
- After boiling, strain and cool.
The method is the third – for walls indoors with normal humidity:
- mix 0.75 kg of potato starch and 0.2 liters of denature or wood (methyl) alcohol;
- pour into a mixture of 1.5 liters of water and mix;
- add boiling water 8-9 l;
- In a separate capacity of 100 g of kvassov (alum sold in a pharmacy) to dilute 0.3 liters of water;
- alum alum connect with the mixture obtained and stir;
- Clauster cooled and filter.
The method is the third – for walls in rooms with high humidity:
- 40 g calcium chloride (pharmacy drug) dilute in 0.6 liters of water;
- In a separate large capacity, mix 0.4 liters of water and 0.4 kg of potato starch;
- Add here to boiling chloride calcium;
- blend heat and add 4-5 liters of hot water;
- boil 2-3 minutes.
In Russia, used to using the adhesive compositions of both domestic and foreign manufacturers. German Metylan (“Methilan”), French Quelyd (“Kelid”), French Kleo (“Cleo”), French Bostik SA (on the order “Lerua Merlen”), German Uhu please consumers with quality of goods and a variety of products: glues for canvons and junctions, as well as borders cause positive feedback. Also buyers talk about the multifunctionality of some types of compositions: not only for plating wallpaper, but also gluing a variety of materials. That does not always suit the consumer – this is the price.
One of the most popular adhesives – “Moment” (as well as Methilan, This brand belongs to Henkel). This quality, variety, affordable price. According to reviews, the glue is not always homogeneous, but at the same time buyers appreciate it for being stored in a liquid state for more than 10 days. This makes it possible to put the seed seams.
From Russian options, perhaps the most popular – Quality (“Quality”). This is a good glue from the modified starch for different types of wallpaper, including vinyl, according to customer reviews. Low price is an additional quality bonus.
Nuances when choosing
Before buying a wallpaper glue, you must consider the characteristics of surfaces and the room as a whole. Knowledge of temperature, humidity and quality of primer will help choose a suitable mixture.
Don’t forget that the purpose of the seller is to sell goods more. And the task of buyers – buying the right goods. Therefore, it is worth carefully learning instructions on packages and only after that consult with the seller.
Adhesive compositions with starch sold in stores are two types: natural starch or modified. Composition with cheap, reliable natural starch need to be boiling and wait when it will swell (3 hours). The composition with a more expensive modified starch is divorced by cold water in 5- 10 minutes.
Adhesives on a synthetic basis are not subject to fungal infection and mold, in contrast to natural compositions (including produced by independently).
Do not save on buying goods unfamiliar brands.
Important principle: the harder wallpaper, the thick glue. So, for heavy vinyl canvas, you need to choose a special mixture, for the lungs – you can take a universal composition. If a special glue package remains in the house from former repair, it can easily be used for light wallpaper, you only need to add more water.
Master class on shook wallpaper you will find in the following video.