Concrete, despite its high mechanical hardness and density, is a porous material. The presence of such a structure leads to absorbing moisture from the environment. The increased absorbency of concrete bases that did not pass additional processing of the primer for concrete leads to the overflow of the LKM in the process of performing finishing works on them.
For this reason, the surface of the concrete floor is covered with a layer of primer. It is a special composition that has the ability to deeply penetrate the base of concrete. Filling the micropores of such a floor, the primer contributes to the strengthening of concrete surfaces, at the same time reinforcing their adhesive ability.
Types of primer coatings
The modern market offers consumers ground covering in a wide range. All of these finishing materials should have the necessary adhesion strength with a concrete surface and the ability to improve its structure.
All primers and their zinc-filled variety, in particular, differ in composition and appointment.
According to the composition distinguish:
- Adhesive primer, creating a top layer with a rough surface. This feature contributes to the best grasp of finishing building materials with a smooth surface of concrete;
- Epoxy, intended to counteract external factors and able to fill small pores in concrete, creating a flat surface and strengthening it;
- Polyurethane, having a similar to the epoxy principle of operation. She is so ground concrete floors for industrial premises;
- Acrylic, environmentally friendly primer without smell and excretion of harmful substances. It has a funcigide component to prevent fungal mold clusters. Its structure helps reduce the consumption of finishing building materials. Undoubted plus acrylic primer is its small price. The maximum time of its drying is 3 hours, which makes it possible to continue repair work soon;
- Silicone for grafting gender in rooms having high humidity;
- Primer brand “Concrete contact”. This coating is applied before masonry of a new ceramic tile or drywall processing sheets.
By destination vary:
- primers with antiseptic protecting against fungus and mold;
- insulating primer mixtures for protection against chemical aggressive compounds and adverse environmental factors;
- primer formulations for improving the compound between two different materials;
- Compositions for priming surface of aerated concrete.
There is also a classification of the type of treated surface, it includes primer coatings for smooth concrete coatings, which will be painted, plastering or their waterproofing will be performed.
Another type used for porous concrete surfaces is, filling these pores with silicate fillers.
Another type of primer is alkyd, it is designed to work with the metal. It is also used along concrete, since in both cases it has a very high level of strength, not erased after frozen and can be used in the cold. However, the disadvantage is long, about 12 hours, drying.
Criterias of choice
The competent selection of the soil mixture should include the use of its brands of such, which includes an antiseptic to prevent the appearance of fungi and mold, especially in rooms with high humidity facilities.
For internal concrete bases of premises, conventional primer compositions are used, and for the outer part of the foundation, the optimal option will be mixtures specially designed for facades.
Carrying out a purchase, pay attention to the production time and integrity of Tara. Overdue goods, as well as damaged packaging can cause the loss of useful properties of primer.
Methods for applying primer
The primer coating is applied in 2 layers with the waiting time for drying each. This work is performed in compliance with the rules of security. Be sure to use the respirator, safety glasses and gloves. It is important to consider the necessary temperature regime that is specified on the packaging of the product.
Primary formulations can be sold already in the finished condition or dry for further breeding their water.
In the latter case, the mixture is prepared immediately before performing repair work:
- The processed surface is cleared of dust, contaminants and fat spots manually or with a grinding machine.
- The composition is applied with a brush, roller or by painting.
- Application of soil on concrete is performed in one or two layers, as indicated in the instructions for this brand of the mixture.
- Before buying a building material, it is necessary to take into account the area of its application, for which it will be used (external or internal) it will be used.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the surface being processed, the service life of its service, the presence of pores, which method of finishing will be applied according to this concrete floor.
- It should be determined with the level of solar illumination, the state of humidity and other factors of the external environment. After that, the consumption of material per unit area of the treated surface is calculated, that is, one square meter.
Advantages of using primer composites for concrete
Due to the accounting of all properties of primer coatings for concrete grounds and recommendations for their choice, you can get the most smooth surface. Concrete begins to interact better with any finishing material. The service life of the gender treated with the primer mixture is significantly increased by imposing its surface of improved adhesion properties.
The finishing material is stronger with concrete, which helps to prevent the development of detachments from it, cracks and subsequent destruction.
The concrete floor surface itself is significantly reinforced after such treatment, whereas without it a small layer of concrete under decorative coating can quickly collapse. The treatment of a concrete base with the appropriate soil composition largely contributes to its protection against aggressive chemical compounds, which, together with dampness, can penetrate even under a layer of putty.
The primer reliably closes in the layer of concrete micropores, Contracting thus reducing the flow rate of the finishing material. This method of processing retains the natural level of moisture, since the neglished surfaces are always or overpowered or vice versa excessively moistened.
The latter circumstance negatively affects both the quality of the finishes and its durability.
On how to perform the primer of the floor, see below.