Concrete surfaces can be considered one of the most durable and durable. Anyway, they are also dangerous. Temperature differences, impairment of technologies in the manufacture of the solution, the impact of moisture – the factors that cause cracks in concrete. Such defects not only spoil the appearance, but also carry in danger: moisture penetrates in them easier, and excess fluid can affect the destruction of concrete. Also, fungus may appear from dampness.
In such cases, a comrades who will help reliably close the gaps and seams, the sealant for concrete will become. With this fund, it is possible to firmly clog holes and do not give moisture and gases to get into them.
Sealant is a viscous substance resembling a paste on its consistency. They are formed on the basis of polymers. In addition, there are differences in composition. For example, you can purchase a sealant in which Acrylic or Silicone has been added. Depending on which substances are included in this agent, the method of their application changes.
For these funds, a wide range of qualities is characterized. They have good water resistance, clutch, impermeability, resistant to many negative environmental phenomena. If you are correct and gently use the sealant, the consequence will be the durability and strength of your work.
One of the most appropriate means to eliminate seams in concrete is an acrylic sealant. Silicone sealant is also suitable. They are highly resistant to various destructive environmental conditions.
In the process of construction work, concrete processing is a matter of paramount importance. It consists of most of the most significant building designs: foundation, floor, walls. Is it worth talking about what happens if an excessive amount of fluid falls into the resulting cracks?
In this process, adhesion plays a special role, that is, the clutch of different bodies. In our case of the treated surface and sealant.
Other surfaces suitable for processing:
- a rock;
- Colored and ferrous metals.
A variety of sealants
There is a huge variety of sealants for concrete and their classifications.
Sealants can be divided according to the method of their action.
- Surface. As a result of their use on the basis of a durable impenetrable film, not allowing the penetration of external aggressors. Depending on the sealant used, the film can be or matte, or glossy.
- Penetrating. They completely cover the hole and protect against various conditions of the external environment.
They differ in the components that are part of:
- butyl rubber;
Sealants can be divided into the criterion of their readiness for use.
- Single-main or single-component. Such funds are ready for use: they do not require additional intervention before working.
- Two-compound or two-component. These sealants need preparation before work. Before applying them, it is worth well to study the manufacturer written on a package or cylinder technology.
You can select several more criteria, for which the types of sealants are formed.
By how hardening:
- unweathered (by properties they resemble rubber);
- drying (harden through time);
According to the method of applying:
- plump (applied using a spatula);
- Brush (for applying sealant, a brush is needed);
- Pouring (special devices are used, such as a gun).
Despite the fact that there are a large number of different classifications, most often sealants are divided into one-component and two-component. Therefore, their special properties would be more convenient to consider on the example of these sealants.
Usually under such sealants are meant tools consisting of silicone. This is the most common view used almost everywhere. They have a number of advantages and positive qualities.
- high resistance to various weather conditions;
- Resistance to extremely low and very high temperatures;
- complete impermeability;
- A good clutch indicator with most surfaces;
- Resistance to ultraviolet radiation, which has a destructive effect;
- It is impossible to apply another sealant layer (if you need to be sealing, you will have to clean the surface from the old sealant);
- Silicone sealants can not be painted, as the paint begins to flap, but the dyes can be added as an additional substance before using the sealant;
- It is impossible to use indoors with high humidity level.
At the moment, in the market of building goods and services, not only standard transparent sealants can be purchased, but also colored. And the color spectrum, affordable to customers, is very wide.
These are essential when working with many surfaces, in particular concrete, sealants. With the help of them, you can close the cracks of different sizes and varying degrees of seriousness. They are made by adding to the finished solution of reagents in compliance with certain proportions, so non-accurant actions can ruin the result.
The most popular sealants of this type are considered thiocoles or polysulfide.
After their application there is a quick polymerization process, However, after a few days a shrinkage may be observed. There is an inelastic durable film that does not transmit acid and alkali, chemicals, oils, fats and gasoline. Thanks to these properties of polysulfide compositions, they are used at gas stations, a hundred, warehouses and objects whose activities are closely related to electricity. Also these sealants are used in energy saving glazing. The temperature range in which you can work with this tool are quite high: from -50 to + 130 ° C.
- durability subject to proper use;
- Good grip with many materials: from wood to ceramics;
- assistance in creating durable structures;
- High speed hardening.
- the need to accurately comply with the proportions in the manufacture;
- work with chemicals;
- If in the process you will be mistaken, the resulting sealant will use it is undesirable;
- need to work quickly with the resulting composition, because it quickly solidifies.
When working with two-component sealants it is very important to avoid entering their skin. The unpleasant consequence of non-compliance of this rule can be a chemical burn.
Two supplied sealants require their preliminary preparation. Carefully read the instructions and accurately follow the technology that was described by the manufacturer on the package or cylinder. Mostly, everything you need to do is to mix a viscous pasta with a substance causing hardening, but do not forget that proportions are of great importance. From how much hardener you add, detectivity density depends. Other chemicals can be used.
Before starting sealing, you need to carefully prepare the surface concrete or, such as iron. To do this, it is necessary to clean it from dirt, dust, fat, plaster and other materials, and then apply primer to cracks. If this is done problematic, you will have to expand the crack. Next, it is necessary to ensure that the seams are well soaked in substance. It will create a strong grip sealant with a processed place.
Next remains to apply hermetic composition. For convenience and facilitate this process, you can use a gun. So filling the slots in the concrete will become somewhat simpler.
Acceptable temperature for work should not be below -10 ° C. Otherwise, the process of frosting sealant for internal works will delay for a longer time. The higher the level of temperature indicators, the faster it hardens.
Some types of compositions are sensitive to precipitation. In such cases, it is worth providing protection against adverse weather events.
After the sealing process is completed, carry out the room.
If the surface has crackled, then a suture waterproof sealant will come to the high-quality sealing of deformation flares. It will help to repair rings, joints and seams from the inside.
There are a huge variety of different types of sealants, each of which is used in certain cases. In order to choose the right tool, it is worth studying its characteristics. And the use of some of them may be difficult to be made additional actions that must be made before working.
How to properly use concrete sealant, look in the following video.