Sponges for plumbing vice are made from different materials. In existing models of vice, they have different sizes, width, properties and scope of use. We will look at what replacement sponges are meant, their varieties, like from what raw materials them do it yourself.
What it is?
Sponges are the working bodies of vice, intended for fixing the workpiece. They are in contact with the workpiece, and the accuracy of the preparation of the preparation and the quality of its surface layer depend on their properties.
Therefore, certain requirements are presented to sponges:
- high clutch coefficient with blank material;
- The clamping force must correspond to the strength of the workpiece;
- accuracy of the positioning of the workpiece (especially for machine of vice);
- Reliability and durability.
The force of the harvesting can be 15-55 kN. And for its increase on sponges make notches. Therefore, with improper use on the workpiece, dents and scratches can remain.
So that this does not happen, the vice is supplied with a set of replaceable linings designed to work with different materials details. This is especially true of plumbing models, in which both soft aluminum billets are fixed and solid steel.
Carpentry and some other models of vice with replaceable linings are usually not completed.
Fundamental differences in different designs of vice no. May varying the number of sponges (may be additional), as well as their configuration (there are angular models, there are chain vise for pipes, and there are special).
In all types of vice, there are fixed sponges and mobile.
- Fixed. Usually they are made as one whole with a bed. Often have a small anvil, which expands technological capabilities. In some large plumbing models on the bed there is a swivel circle.
- Movable. They are welded a mother nut in which the chassis screw is screwed. With its rotation, the sponge movement occurs, while in different models it is implemented in different ways.
- Challery. The mobile sponge is fixed in the hinge and moves around the circumference, like a forceps (for a small angle). Now they are practically not used.
- Parallel. In any position of the vice, they are strictly parallel to each other. Now it is the most common type of clips.
Parallel are divided into 2 types:
- with one moving sponge;
In the latest version, both have a drive, and the clamping item turns out to be strictly in the center of the case. Such structures are used in mechanical engineering to perform the same type of operations. For plumbing tasks their purchase is inappropriate.
One of the most important parts is Replaceable lining. To secure different billets, the material of their manufacture is different. It may be:
- solid rubber;
- soft metal (copper, aluminum and others);
- hardened steel.
Also sponges vary notch. It happens:
- pyramidal with acute vertex;
- pyramidal with flat vertex;
- In the form of a grid.
General rules for selecting overhead plates are as follows:
- For solid blanks We need soft sponges – if you use hard, the item will scroll, and this will lead to marriage, and even to the accident;
- For parts made of soft materials We need solid sponges with notches – this will prevent the blank slipping and ensure high installation accuracy.
It should be borne in mind that the accuracy of the basing of the workpiece in soft sponges will be lower than in solid. This is caused by deformation of the lining. But it is relevant for precision clamps on CNC machines. For ordinary locksmiths, it does not play a big role, because the processing is manually.
At the same time, keep in mind that the rigidity of wooden sponges depends on the fibers orientation. If they are directed perpendicular to the working plane, the rigidity is high, and if parallel is low. It is important to consider in the independent manufacture.
Replaceable sponges can be made without the use of complex equipment. But first need to decide on the size.
Vice is standardized equipment that It is manufactured according to GOST.For them, several standards are envisaged:
- Small vice: sponge height – 50 mm, maximum stroke – 80 mm;
- Average: height – 180 mm, workforce is 120-125 mm;
- Large: height – 220 mm, the progress is equal to 140-160 mm.
Challenge models These features are similar. In them, the height of the sponges is within 65-75 mm, and the length of the working stroke is 120-150 mm and more.
Departure of linings from the grooves should be 2-3 mm (for large plumbing vice). In more compact copies, it may be less.
There are models with other clamping slats. But if they are not suitable for any reason, then the lining can be made independently.
How to make it yourself?
To begin with, decide on Material. About how to choose it correctly, we already talked. You should not limit yourself, you can “at times” to make several pairs of clamping slats and change them as needed.
Further Remove old lining. This work is very laborious, for sure the bolts rustled, and it is easy to remove the lining. Then they need to cut a grinder with cutting circle. But be prepared that the remains of the bolts will not get out. Then they need to be stitched, and then drill new holes and cut into them threads.
Next, proceed to the manufacture. Using simple tools, you can make good wooden lining. At the same time, they will be fixed not with screws, but by magnets, and shoot old sponges will not need.
Basic Idea – Make Light Soft Sponges. They are attached to the magnets with a bracket made of sheet metal with a thickness of 1-2 mm. Work is to perform a certain sequence of steps.
- Take 2 identical wooden lumps. Their thickness should be sufficient so that the screw can be screwed into the end. Length and width are determined by the sizes of vice.
- Secure in the top of each sponge on the magnet. Find this position in which they keep with the greatest force.
- Hold in vice both our new lining.
- Make a template from paper by attaching it to the lining and magnet. Make the necessary bends. Next, cut the resulting figure, straighten and transfer the contours to the metal.
- Remove the metal blank the necessary form. To do this, attach it to the lining and magnet and make bends. Then remove the burrs and sharp edges.
- Secure the brackets on our wooden lining with 2 screws. To do this, drill holes.
- For the manufacture of another sponge, do the same.
Magnet can not be attached to the bracket – He will hold on his own. But if you need a big reliability, it can be attached by screws or glue. Large strength is not required, because the connection does not apply to the connection.
The advantages of such homemade sponges – the simplicity of execution and low cost, as well as the fact that the lining is quickly removed and put. Disadvantage – the magnitude of the working movement of the TISS decreases.
The main requirement is lining must be strictly parallel.
You can do and Metal sponges, But without a snap, you can no longer do. Need to use standard mounts. But make sure the installation grooves are direct. If this is not the case, they need to be aligned with a milling, dremel or with grinding.
New clamping planks can be made of old turning cutters.
- Self-holder or a nutromer define the necessary dimensions.
- On them Make 2 metal bars. It will be sponges.
- Drill 2 holes. They must clearly coincide with the installation and lying strictly perpendicular to the clips surface. This is the most responsible moment. To guarantee their diameter can be made a little more.
- In the holes, make recesses for secret bolts. Better ceckovka so that the bottom it turned out flat, and not conical.
- Dremel or grinder with a thin circle apply risks.
- Challenge the sponge and then release them. Temperature depends on the material brand.
- Secure the lining on the vice. If they “sit” unevenly, pon the desired dimensions. After hardening, it can only be made by grinding.
Sponge with a pyramid notch can be made of a flat file. Before work you need to spend annealing so that the material becomes softer. Further, the technique is no different.
In the next video you can observe the process of creating sponges for vice with your own hands.