Gypsum Carton is a popular material from finishing craftsmen, which can be used for different premises and different needs. It is used to align the walls, creating various designs and many other purposes. Walls made of plasterboard are very different from concrete or brick walls. Therefore, for such hollow structures, special dowels were invented, capable of withstanding the weight of heavy items. Most often, the so-called dowel-butterfly dowel, which is considered the most suitable type of accessories for such walls to attach to the drywall basis.
The butterfly dowel is a view of a construction fastener, designed for reliable fixing on a plasterboard wall of such interior and life objects, like shelves, paintings, chandeliers and lamps, TVs, various types of plumbers. It has a wide bidirectional design and consists of spacer and static parts. The spacer is placed in the hole done in the drywall structure, at the time of screwing the threaded fastener, its expansion occurs, due to which the connection becomes durable. On the dowel there is a cut, which does not allow it to fall into the depths of the drywall design.
Dowel-butterfly for drywall boasts an impressive set of advantages over other types of fasteners:
- Often comes on sale complete with a self-tapping screw suitable for the parameters;
- convenience and simplicity of installation work;
- can be used for fasteners of one or more sheets of plasterboard;
- reliably fixed in drywall due to ribbed surface;
- Uniform load distribution, which has an object attached to a sheet of drywall;
- The carving applied to the far head helps a reliable climax, and special paws located inside provide good strength of the entire design, exclude turning on the condition of fully screwing the dowel;
- It can be used repeatedly, while it is absolutely not affected by it on the quality of work;
- long service life;
- Universality, which makes it possible to use it for chipboard (wood-chip), plywood and many other construction sheet materials.
Dowel can be divided into subspecies.
- Busy. They are used to secure on the ceiling. They are ideal for the installation of massive chandeliers or sports equipment.
- Scratching. Used for hanging household and interior items are not heavier than 15 kg.
Dowel butterflies are made from different materials. In particular, they can be plastic, metal and nylon.
Plastic butterflies received the greatest distribution. They are obliged to the invention of Arthur Fisher in 1958. Plastic dowel-butterflies have a low cost due to which they have become popular with consumers. In turn, plastic and nylon dowels are not affected by rust. Their minus is that heavy items on them hang undesirable.
Metal butterfly dowelFor the price significantly exceed their plastic analogs, but also withstands them much more load: up to several hundred kg. The ability to hold high weight increases, subject to the use of double drywall. Some manufacturers cover them with a special composition “Anti-Russian”, which prolongs the service life of the fastener. Metal butterfly is also called a dowel “Molly”. They possess the following characteristics: self-tightening fasteners, design with M-shaped protrusion, ring dowels, protrusions in the form of a hook.
To work with plasterboard can also be used anchor bolt. Best for this material is suitable for an anchor-wedge, having lateral declining. The peculiarity of its structure is also in the fact that it is made of metal studs with a duct under a wedge and thickening at the end. After mounting the anchor-wedge it is impossible to dismantle.
For installation work, the purpose of which is the fixation of metal products, chandeliers, shelves for plasterboard, is very often used dowel nail. Such fasteners can be of different sizes. For drywall mainly used dowel-nail size 6×40 mm.
How to install
Plasterboard is known as finishing material with not the highest strength. During the work, it can crack, break and crumble. But since it is easily mounted, builders love to use it in their work. In order not to be plasterboard wall with mechanical destruction, and a butterfly dowel was created. With it, not only specialists with experience can produce assembly to drywall, but also newcomers.
Most often, this fastener is used when it is necessary to hang the shelf or a heavy picture on a drywall wall. Securely fixing in the wall, the butterfly dowel can withstand the design weighing up to 10 kg. Provided that the wall is made of two layers of GLC, you can hang item to 25 kg.
Screw the butterfly dowel in plasterboard very simple. It is done, as a rule, in a couple of minutes. Wherein To carry out quality work, you need to adhere to some rules:
- First you need to determine the location of the attachment, evaluate the complexity of the work and choose the desired view of the butterfly dowel. Should not be surprised that the self-tapping screws or screws in the kit may not be – they will need to purchase separately.
- Usually dowels buy with a slight margin. The versatility is that it is possible to mount the butterfly dowel not only on plasterboard, but also for many other materials.
- Marking on which then the installation of the dowels will be made, best with the help level. This will help avoid mistakes in work.
- Hypotocarton drilling must be drilled. For perforation, you can use the tree drill. Will be more convenient to drill with a screwdriver.
- Before starting drilling, you need to make sure that the screwdriver works with the shock mode disconnected.
- The hole in size should be such a plastic dowel in it. It is usually done on 4 mm more than it, as it must expand a little when the self-sufficiency will enter it.
- The fastening element on which the necessary item is subsequently put on the self-reading.
- Dowel pinch your fingers and felt in the hole drilled in advance, to the fastener hats. Then tighten the screw.
- Self-tapping screws to spin to hard lock. Only so the components of the dowel are expanding to the maximum and are securely fixed on a plasterboard wall. At the same time, the use of screwdriver in assembly significantly reduces the likelihood of breaking the threads in plastic.
- Then with a little effort you need to pull for the outer fasteners. Thus, you can check the strength of consolidation.
The choice of fasteners for drywall should occur taking into account the continuous load that it is able to withstand. In addition, it is impossible to forget that some types of fasteners can not be unscrewed without the destruction of the existing design, so it is necessary to clearly and accurately make markup.
It is worth noting that the butterfly dowel is made of different sizes, but 9×13 mm and 10×50 mm are most popular. It should be remembered that for the full disclosure of the dowel-butterfly you need to take a self-tapping screw length of no more than 55 mm. In addition, the masters advise to take into account the distance between the plasterboard and the wall.
The thickness of the product is fixed with the butterfly is limited. As a rule, it is possible to connect to the wall a fastening element with a thickness of no more than 5 mm, on which the subject of the interior will hold.
Sometimes it happens that the length of the butterfly dowel and self-pressing is greater than the space behind the plasterboard plate. In this case, the drill is drilled in the wall, which allows you to fully install fasteners.
When drilling on the ceiling, it is recommended to use a disposable glass that is worn on the drill. This small trick will allow you to avoid cleaning the room from garbage that will fall during the work process.
Specialists advise the material from which the dowels are made, check for elasticity. Fasteners of too hard plastic more than others are prone to breakdowns, so it can be broken immediately when attaching.
On the peculiarities of the choice of a dowel-butterfly for drywall, see the following video.