Vinyl siding is a practical and inexpensive finishing material used to external buildings facing. It is a PVC panel of certain sizes, which provides low cladding weight (additionally strengthen the foundation is not required), its moisture resistance and resistance to environmental impact, bioscistance. As for the strength, it is high enough (although it is inferior to metal for this indicator).
With the help of vinyl siding, you can achieve original stylistic effects, since the externally panel is quite diverse. There are options, imitating stone, wooden, brick surfaces. Moreover, similarity is so close that it is possible to detect imitation only upon closer.
Fastening the siding panels are made on the crate, It is possible to use insulation. If the walls are smooth and do not need heat insulation, then installing directly on them without crate.
Siding is produced in the form of panels that can have different dimensions. Standards governing profile dimensions do not exist. Each manufacturer releases panels of certain parameters. In addition, the sizes may depend on the siding installation option (vertically or horizontally), from its purpose (facade or base).
Length and width
Average length of length and widths that vinyl siding can have:
- Length – from 2500 to 3750 mm;
- Width (working) – from 220 to 275 mm;
- Width (useful) – from 200 to 255 mm.
Length and width of plastic siding may also depend on the type of surface that it imitates.
- Panel “Shipboard” have a length of 3000-3390 mm (shortened option) and 3660-3810 mm (standard option). Cropped panels are characterized by simpler installation, by docking from them you can collect the required length. The width of the panels under the shipboard varies in the range of 172-232 mm. Sometimes more rational to use wider “boards” to avoid the need to cut the panel. Their width from 240 to 255 mm, however, meet and models width 305 mm.
- Width of the Christmas tree panels depends on how much waves in it. In accordance with this, the single “Christmas tree” is distinguished (marked with a literary S), double (denoted as d), triple (designation – literature t). On average, the width of the same wave is 114.3 mm to find out the width of the double and triple “Christmas tree” to multiply this figure at 2 and 3. When buying “Christmas trees” from the USA or Canada, it can be found that the length of one wave is indicated in inches. Standard is width in 4.5 inches, which is 114.3 mm.
- Block house (imitation of the log surface) usually has a width of 240 mm at a length of 3660-3810 mm. The greatest width is characterized by sofit with perforation, used for the design of the bottomtonal and cornice roofing soles. Its width is 305 mm with an average length of 3050 mm. The parameters of the material are variative, depending on the brand producing them. So, the company “Alta-Profile” produced a siding “shipboard” size of 3100×230 and 3660×230 mm.
2 cm wider profiles of the German brand Docke (“Deek”). Some of the most dimensional panels are produced by Grande Line (Grand Line). The length and width of them are 3000×238 mm. Mitten products have the smallest width. The manufacturer’s lineup has a 178 mm wide profile, the length of which is 3040 mm.
Depending on the appointment of siding, it happens to be facade and base. The sizes of the first were considered above. For a simpler piece of base, small rectangular panels are used. In most cases, their dimensions are enough to consolidate the material on the base part of the building in one width.
Among the most popular base panels, you can select profiles of 1140×480 mm and 1135×474 mm. In such sizes, tiles are produced from one of the leading manufacturers – the company “Alta-Profile”. A minor change in size is associated with the surface features of the material. Thus, the “Stone” collection is presented in sizes of 1135×474 mm, and a collection that imitates the stone masonry contains the smaller panels – 1130×468 mm.
It is important to distinguish the working and useful siding area. When calculating the required amount of material, only the last. When considering the saidding panel, it can be found that part of it has perforation. It is necessary for fixing the subsequent panels and after installation is hidden from sight, and therefore should not be taken into account when calculating.
From the thickness of siding largely depend on its strength characteristics. For facade panels, the standard is thickness equal to 0.6-2.0 mm. However, today you can find the panel thick 0.4-0.6 mm. They have domestic or Chinese origin. Profiles from European manufacturers can not be thinner 0.6 mm, since this parameter is regulated by strict standard.
It is recommended to acquire siding, the thickness of which is not less than 0.6 mm. Thinner materials cannot guarantee reliability.
Various manufacturers can change the thickness of the panels. For example, siding from the Canadian company Mitten has a thickness from 1.02 to 1.2 mm, depending on product line. Southern Beaded siding is characterized by thickness 1.14 mm.
Finally, the thickness of siding is determined by its appointment. More dense panels are called basement and are designed to finish the bottom of the facade. The thickness of such profiles is more than 2 mm, and sometimes it can reach 4 mm. This is due to the fact that the basement is largely exposed to moisture, frost, mechanical damage.
Sizes of components
Given the dimensions of the panels and counting their number, it is important to clarify the size of components. As a rule, they are similar to panels, but it does not always happen. Equal length with most siding panels have a J-TRIM planks, but they are not suitable for installation in conjunction with Docke panels, since they have a smaller length.
Outdoor and internal angles have a length of 3050 mm, the width corresponds to the width of the panel. Starting and finished strips are produced with a length of 3660 mm. Hinged profiles and planks for designing window platbands have the same length, and about glass slopes – 3050 mm.
How to calculate the number?
There are several options for calculating the number of panels required for cladding.
- Contact specialists of the store, where the purchase of material for external work is made. As a rule, managers of specialized companies are trained to produce such calculations, and have the necessary computer programs for this. However, it should be understood that even a professional will not be able to make an accurate calculation, without having a structure plan, indicating the specific numeric values of its parameters.
In addition, it should be understood that the seller is interested in selling as many materials as possible for the trim, so rounding, a large stock of materials, the sale of components, without which you can do. If you can pass back unused (or uncorrected) panels in the store, you can safely trust similar calculations.
- Almost every specialized store offers free Measher’s services when buying material. This option is preferable to the first, since the calculations will be made taking into account the characteristics of the building.
Regardless of whether you yourself think or trust this business to professionals, it is important to understand what such calculations make up.
For the beautiful and correct installation you need to purchase a variety of components.
- The panels for the facade and the base.
- Starting Plank from which the statement of the first row begins. It can be replaced by a starting profile characterized by greater durability.
- A drainage bar having a decorative function, as well as actuating a kind of tide when placed on the basement or protruding element of the structure.
- Connecting Plank or H-Profile – Used to separate elements or docking several short profiles.
- Internal and external corners.
- The finishing profile allows you to complete the installation, hiding the top cropped edge of the panels.
- J-profile having a decorative function or protruding for a window.
- Silent profile is used to design openings.
- Sofit – panel intended for the binder cutting cut.
To calculate the number of panels, it is necessary to divide the area of the facade, which will be lined, on the useful area of the panel itself. In addition, it should be added a margin of panels on cutting, marriage and stock – about 7% of the number of passes.
Determine the area to be cladding, you can 2 ways.
- Multiply the length and height of the structure. This method is suitable if one of the parties is facing or the building has a simple rectangular design.
- A more accurate method – calculate the area of each side, and then summarize the results.
From the resulting area it is worth a deduction area of those surfaces that do not close the profile. These are door and window openings.
Useful advice: If there is a small window in the wall of the house (for example, auditory) or there are ventilation holes, it is easier not to calculate their area, but to include in general calculations. The remains of the panels will be insignificant.
Finally, today on the Internet you can find calculators to calculate the required quantity of siding. All you need is to set the surface area and the useful width of siding. Depending on the calculator functional, it is possible to set the facade area directly or entrust the program to make calculations, indicating the linear dimensions of the length and width of the walls.
Avoid mistakes and failures of the program, get the most accurate results will allow the use of 2-3 independent calculators.
Regardless of the calculation method used, remember that siding is attached to the crate, mounting which will increase the length of the walls, respectively, and the facade area will increase. When using insulation and vinyl panels, the length of the walls after the crate increases significantly – by 4-6 cm.
The most accurate way to calculate the material required to finish the walls can be called a graphic method. To do this, on a sheet of paper, you need to draw all parts of the house, supposed to finish. Figure must contain all elements of the building and match the real object on the selected scale. Next, the panels are drawn in the same scale and cut. They should be a reduced copy of those you are planning to mount.
After the preparation data is finished, you start the game in the “mosaic”, that is, apply the panels to the walls of the building, if necessary, cutting them. This method is good because it allows you to minimize the number of cropping and marriage, and it means that it will not be necessary to buy material with a large stock.
To calculate the number of soffits, the useful area of the roof to be trimmed (frontoths and cornese swells) are divided into a useful area of sofita.
Find out how much starting planks need easy – it is necessary to measure the perimeter of the building, to deduct from the results obtained the length of the opening, after which the obtained number is divided into the panel length. On average, the same amount will need drain planks.
The number of external and internal angles is calculated on the basis of the number and height of the building angles. N-profiles are calculated manually if there is a need to dock multiple profiles. Popular panels are considered by dividing the total perimeter of windows (calculated separately for each window and fold the values) for the length of the profile. Small differences depend on the way of mounting the window.
In the next video you will find a detailed video instruction for installing vinyl siding Holzsiding from Holzplast.