The kitchen is one of the most popular and favorite places in the house. Increased requirements for the finishing of this premises. It should be at the same time aesthetically attractive and practical. One of the most sought-after ways to finish the working area in the kitchen is the use of decorative tiles.
Types of decorative tile
From natural stone
Decorative tile on the kitchen made of natural stone is made of marble, quartz and granite. These materials are considered one of the most durable and are often used as a facing material.
The following advantages of natural stone products are noted:
- excellent wear resistance and unlimited service life;
- High abrasion resistance – natural stones decor serves almost forever;
- resistance to mechanical damage, chips and scratches;
- Environmentally friendly material due to the absence of harmful substances.
Lackages of tiles can be considered:
- high price;
- The decor itself is sufficiently heavy compared to other materials.
From artificial stone
Decorative tile made of artificial stone is considered an excellent alternative to genuine. It is made from cement and porous fillers. Color adds dyes.
Among the advantages of the decor you can allocate:
- Ease of material that makes it easier to work with it;
- A wide variety of textures, colors and shades, allowing you to quickly choose the appropriate option in the interior.
Among the shortcomings:
- Strength is significantly inferior to natural stone;
- The service life of an artificial stone is significantly lower than that of natural.
Plaster decorative tile It is popular with the masters of finishing, thanks to such qualities as:
- the possibility of imitating any material;
- low weight plate and convenience of working with it;
- The possibility of laying a gypsum decor on any surface;
- the possibility of laying on a thin wall;
- The plaster plate can be cut by a knife;
- thermo- and frost resistance, allowing to work with the material and use it in any conditions.
Negative properties of gypsum as a facing material:
- increased fragility;
- predisposition to absorbing moisture.
Tile with decoupage
Decoupage is an applique. Often this technique is used for the manufacture of decorative tiles into the kitchen with their own hands. To create a picture usually use special paper, fabric or napkins, which are glued to the surface of the tile and cover on top of the special composition.
The pluses of the decoupage can be considered:
- beauty and originality;
- the ability to make a unique decor under the design of your own interior;
- Thanks to the special set of components, the decoupage tile does not differ in durability and ease of care from ordinary tiles.
The minuses of the tiled decor with decoupage are:
- fragility of the surface;
- The need for careful circulation and care.
Decorating the working area in the kitchen Tile made of glass – this is the original way to decorate and expand the space, create sparkling walls. Glass tile can be glossy, matte, color and transparent.
Positive properties of a glass decor:
- Need finality;
- ease of care;
- Simple laying technique;
- Combinability almost with all styles.
Negative moments include:
- service life is lower than that of a similar decor of stone.
Vinyl tile is a multilayer coating of PVC on a polymer basis. A quartz crumb is added to the vinyl tile, so this material is often called a quartzinyl tile. The quartz layer acts as a lower layer and bases, a decorative pattern is applied to the middle layer, and the upper layer is transparent polymers.
The unconditional advantages of the vinyl decorative tile on the kitchen are:
- simplicity of laying and repair;
- environmental friendliness and safety;
- wear resistance and durability;
- Simplicity of vinyl surface.
But this material has and disadvantages:
- susceptibility to high temperatures;
- Mandatory requirement – the working surface must be absolutely even.
Vinyl tile manufacturing technology provides the ability to create diverse designs. Its form can be both classic: square or rectangular and executed in the form of rhombuses and triangles. Color gamma PVC is not limited to anything and here the entire range of paints can be used, including not only one-picture background, but also various drawings.
The use of vinyl stickers is the fastest and most economical way of transformation and creating decorative tiles in the kitchen. Stickers consist of several layers: substrate, sticker and protective film.
Pluses of vinyl stickers:
- Easy to use: In order to reap the tile with vinyl stickers, special tools and knowledge are required;
- Ability to quickly transform the kitchen: in order to stick one picture, you will need a few seconds;
- Water and heat resistance: stickers are not afraid of evaporation and increase the temperature during cooking;
- Easy to care: In order to clean the surface of the tile with vinyl sticker, it is enough to wipe it with a cloth moistened in a conventional detergent.
Cons of vinyl stickers:
- Low service life in comparison with other decorative materials;
- Changing the appearance over time.
Decorative Tile Design Options in Kitchen
Under a stone
The use of tiles under stone is one of the most popular options for decoration of the apron in the kitchen. Such a design is perfect for the interior decoration of the kitchen room in the style of country or in a classic style. Copies under granite or marble are perfectly combined with wooden furniture in the kitchen, steel elements of the interior and fittings. Also with the help of decorative tiles under the stone, you can make not only the working area in the kitchen, but also the food type zone.
Under the tree
Ceramic tile under the tree appearance does not differ from wooden skulls, but in many indicators it turns out better than a natural tree, especially in conditions of high humidity and high temperatures. Kitchen decorative tile under the tree is easier to wash and care for her. Modern technologies allow you to create original texture and design of plates under natural wood and painted.
The decorative tile on the kitchen with a metallized effect is appropriate in any interior, from high-tech to baroque, thanks to a wide range of execution. Popularities are popular with silver, bronze, chrome and gilded surfaces. There are also decors with the effect of antiquity and even with rust effect.
The embossed surface of the metal decor can be smooth or textured, with dents and notches.
The painted decoration technique is one of the most time-consuming and most beautiful. As a rule, hand-drawn work is performed manually. The results of the labor of this work are sufficiently catchy, always attract attention and require careful interior development. The most popular is the painting by the folk ornament, patterns, flowers. Sometimes the drawing consists of several elements and it will require certain skills when combining them.
Methods of printing pattern on the tile There are several.
The most common are:
- sublimated printing;
- hot decal;
The first and second way are similar to each other, the image on paper is used in them. The third way to apply printing to the surface involves the use of special powders and ink. In the fourth way, nanochnils are used, which quickly dry under the influence of ultraviolet rays.
On how to put a decorative tile in the kitchen, look in the following video.