Now on the market you can find any material that can like the buyer and functionally, and in its stylistic characteristics, and in terms of cost. One example of such materials can serve as paint – many specialists and homemade craftsmen appeal during repair. However, not all self-taught masters know how to choose a solvent for paint, because it is able to reflect the result of the repair.
The solvent is an organic liquid, which is used to process paint materials – due to solvents, they acquire the necessary painting consistency.
It should be noted that the scope of the application of solvents is quite wide, since they are used not only to dilute the paints and varnishes and give them the necessary consistency, but also used to degrease and purify the dirt tools, surfaces and sometimes even clothing.
However, if we talk about the use of solvents in the construction sphere, there is a large number of materials that, depending on their qualities combined with different types of paint.
These products are used quite often when carrying out repair work, since they have a number of characteristics that distinguish solvents from other types of organic substances. First of all, this includes the possibility of using materials under negative temperatures, as well as their use is allowed in a high moisture environment.
On the modern construction market you can find many varieties of solvents. Below are the most popular of them, however, it is worth noting that such a parameter, as a solvent consumption per 1 kg of paint, will not be mentioned here, since it is individual for each material and is determined by the ratio of various auxiliary materials in it.
- Petrol is one of the most common materials, since it is easy enough to use. Material is a transparent bat with a characteristic sharp smell. Most often it is used to dilute oil paints, varnishes, various enamels, such as alkyd and sometimes putty. The greatest advantage of this substance is that it can be used to remove fat from the surfaces, which are subsequently planned to apply paint or varnish. On the other hand, gasoline has both disadvantages, for example, it is very easily flammable because it is created from recycled oil.
- White Spirit – is a universal diluent. It is used for varnishes and most paints: oil, acrylic and enamel. Moreover, it is suitable in order to dilute the material and bring the consistency of primer, putty and bitumen materials in the norm. Like gasoline, can be used to degrease the surface.
- Turpentine is the oldest solvent and used before the appearance of White Spirit. In its chemical composition, it is a complex substance that consists of hydrocarbons, in particular, from terpenes. Due to its characteristics, it is used in the production of most varnishes, also often dissolves oil, alkyd paints and enamel.
- Butanol refers to the category of alcohol solvents, which are more often used in industry than in private construction. It has a simple formula and is a colorless liquid with a sharp resistant odor. An important distinctive feature of such a composition is that it is quite easily mixed with the main coloring material and does not enter into any chemical reactions with it. Due to this, a homogeneous substance is obtained, which is characterized by low fire hazard.
- Another type of solvent is acetone, which is known absolutely to all. During construction work, it is used not only to dissolve resins, oils and paints, but sometimes cellulose, and polystyrene. Interestingly, the consumption of this material is quite optimal, and it is enough for several times. With acetone, you can not only breed the paint and degrease the surface, but also to synthesize various organic materials.
Tips for choosing
Different types of solvents interact with various types of paints – this factor is the most important when choosing materials, otherwise it can adversely affect the result of repair.
For latex paint used to clamp surfaces from concrete, wood and plastic, such solvents are best suited as P-4, R 646-648. Under these abbreviations, organic substances are hidden. They should be used with great care, especially if there is a need to remove stains from the parquet, otherwise there may be burnt places from the solvent.
In order to avoid this, you can use water mixed with a solvent that is applied to a problem space on the floor.
Diluted latex-based paint in a solvent compound will allow you to create a resistant coating that will have water-repellent properties.
When using oil and alkyd paint worth paying attention to the following diligent substances: butanol, kerosene, turpentine, White spirit and gasoline. Since the production of these types of coloring substances is not used non-natural olive, but artificial, many masters are afraid that solvents can enter with them into chemical reactions, but this can be easily avoided if you comply with the proportions and safety equipment.
Olife, which is used as the basis for alkyd paint, determines the use of solvents with indexes: PF 115, or P-6. In order to achieve the necessary effect and coating, resistant to mechanical damage, it is necessary to observe the proportion – when using a mixture of White spirit and turpentor – 1: 1, otherwise the solvent can destroy previous primers.
Nitrochars usually apply for metal staining, because the main feature of this type of color is the strength and resistance of the coating, which often can be with a gloss. It is also important that such material has a strong sharp smell that long does not destroy – it can hold up to two days.
Best solvents for this type of paints are Makeups under the numbers 645-650 – It is they will effectively act not only as solvents, but also as a degreasing agent.
For epoxy paints it is worth choosing such compositions as P-14, P-40 and R-83. They can even remove dried spots on the surface, because epoxy materials will dry very quickly and have high resistance to mechanical damage and wasrability. However, on the other hand, this may be a clear advantage over similar paints.
Polyurethane materials are widely used not only in construction, but in many other areas, since this paint interacts great with any type of surface and go well to it. In addition, it is wear-resistant and does not distinguish any toxic substances during work. This is its main advantage, since it will interact well with solvents without creating chemical reactions. To dilute this type of paints, you need to contact solvents under the numbers R-189, R-1176, RL-176 and RL-277.
Even ordinary water can be used to dilute water-level paint, because it is capable of sounding a good paint.
But the water is not able to wash away the already dried spot, so you need to know which solvents to use for a similar type of material. Best of all, acetone is suitable for this purpose, because it is sparing enough and can carefully remove the residues of the paint, without spoiling the surface of the coating.
It is impossible not to note the powder paints that have been greatly distributed in the building materials market lately. This happened because it has a large color palette, low cost and is an environmentally friendly material that does not create detrimental conditions for working masters.
Special washes are used as solvents, which can be found in the building stores under the numbers P-7 and P-11. However, they contain aggressive chemicals, so it is necessary to work with these solvents very carefully. In addition to them, turpentine, gasoline and white spirit can also be used.
Hammer paint can be diluted with compositions R-645, R-647 and R-650, as well as universal White Spirit. It is difficult to cope with dried spots, since the hammer enamel is pretty resistant and quickly unlocked with the surface. However, if you use the above materials, you can avoid negative consequences after the repair.
Most materials have in their composition aggressive chemicals that may damage human health, and some substances are even explosive. Based on this, neglected the safety rules in disabilities.
First of all, it is necessary to ensure the right storage conditions of materials: they should be stored in well-ventilated or ventilated premises, otherwise the toxic smell of solvents can affect human well-being. Paramelation poisoning, the symptoms of which are dizziness, rapid heartbeat, tear, general weakness.
Moreover, it is impossible fire hazardous substances to keep near open fire, heaters and other hot items.
This is especially true for those who are constantly working with solvents and coloring substances – it is better to use the most gentle materials that will not be able to lead to the defeats and diseases of the internal organs.
In addition, it is impossible to forget about personal protection, that is, it is necessary to work in respirators, glasses and tight gloves, otherwise chemical burns may appear on the body.
In the event that the chemical suddenly hit the mucous membranes, we need to quickly rinse them with running water, after which it is necessary to apply for the help of doctors.
If a person wants to remove a stain from clothes with a solvent, you must first use a substance on a separate fold for checking the interaction of tissue and solvent. Some of them can not only remove pollution, but also burn clothes.
Observing these rules, it is possible to effectively and most safely use solvents.
Read more about solvents and their applications, see further.