Epoxy resin is a material that is widely used in various spheres. It is used to inflate countertops, creating floor coverings, as well as beautiful glossy surfaces. The material under review freezes after stirring with a special substance – hardener. After that, it receives new properties – greater strength and inconsistency to moisture. The best transparent epoxy resin is processed for fill. In this article, consider everything about the transparent epoxy resin for the fill.
Epoxy resin either as many of it call “epoxy” refers to oligomers. They contain epoxy groups that, when exposed to hardeners, cross-linked polymers create. Most of the resins are sold in stores as a means that consist of two components. In one pack, it is usually a resin with viscous and drilling properties, and in the other – the aforementioned hardener, which is a substance based on amines or carboxylic acids. Usually the resin of the category under consideration are created using such a process as epichlorohydrine polycondensation with bisphenol A, which is called epoxy-diain.
Transparent colorless resin differs from other types by the fact that it is optical-transparent. It looks like a glass and does not delay light rays.
In this case, both components are colorless, which makes it possible to use them for casting and create an outdoor or wall covering. If the products are really high quality, it will not become yellow or muddy even a few years after use.
Chemical composition and components
To get a composition with certain properties, special additives should be used during its creation. We are talking about 2 categories of substances.
- Hardeners and plasticizers. If we talk about this group, a hardener is added to the resin to make the polymerization reaction. For this, such substances such as tertiary amines, phenols, or alternatives are usually used. The amount of hardener will depend on the characteristics of the main component and the result you want to get. And the addition of plasticizers is produced so that in the process of use the finished product does not crack and had good flexibility. The use of this component also allows you to prevent the cracking of the resulting composition in the process of drying the product, which has a large volume. Usually, as a plasticizer, a substance is used, which is based on dibutyl phthalate.
- Solvents and fillers. Solvents are added in cases where it is required to make the composition less viscous. But the amount of solvent must be minimal, because as it is added, the strength of the created coating is reduced. And if it is required to give the composition of any shade or color, then various kinds of fillers are added. Most often use the following types of substances:
- microsphere, which increases viscosity;
- Aluminum powder, which gives a characteristic gray-silver color;
- Titanium dioxide, which significantly increases the stability of the material to the effects of ultraviolet and gives the coating of white;
- Aerosil, which allows you to prevent the appearance of sublists on the surfaces, which are vertically;
- Graphite powder, which makes it possible to get the necessary color and lines the structure of the material almost to the ideal;
- Talc, which allows you to make the surface extremely durable and fairly smooth.
Use of use
Compositions where two-component transparent epoxy resin is used are often used in various areas of life, for example, to create key rings, jewelry, various pendants, as well as decorative elements. Besides, It is used to create promotional product, countertops, bulk floors, souvenirs, plumbing parts and products that are used in the bathroom. Self-popular bulk floors with unusual drawings. This remedy is used for volumetric decoupage, mosaic and other.
In general, the use of this material is limited solely by the fantasy of the person himself. Epoxy Applied for wood, stone, coffee beans, beads and other materials.
A rather interesting solution will be adding to the epoxy of phosphors. These are components that are glowing in the dark. Often inside the tabletops created using epoxy resin, the LED backlight is installed, which is why beautiful and pleasant glow is obtained.
For the material under consideration, special accountants are used, which have particle size from 5 to 200 microns. They are equally distributed inside the layer and allow you to create a homogeneous color shade without unscrewed places.
In addition, transparent epoxy is used in such spheres as:
- Sealing electrical equipment;
- waterproofing in various industrial spheres;
- coating walls, machine parts, primer floors, walls and surfaces of porous type;
- amplification of thermal insulation of the premises;
- reinforcement of plaster;
- Protection of products, which is exposed to the effects of liquid and chemical extent of aggressive type;
- Fiberglass impregnation, glassmates and fiberglass.
Quite interesting use of the material under consideration will be the creation of jewelry in the style of Handmade.
Before acquiring epoxy, you should familiarize yourself with the products of the most popular brands, which has already proven itself from the best side.
- QTP-1130. This epoxy grade is universal and best suited for pouring countertops. It will be an excellent choice for people who have a little experience in such a matter. QTP-1130 also use to inflict decoupage, which involves photos and images. The mixture is transparent and does not acquire yellowish color after hardening. It has a small viscosity, thanks to which voids are filled well, the surface after infusion as it were for self-leveling. The largest thickness of the layer, which can be done using QTP-1130, is 3 millimeters. And the brand is perfect for use on not very large journal and written tables.
- ED-20. The advantage will be the fact that its production is carried out in accordance with the domestic Goste. The disadvantage of the brand will be that some of its characteristics are somewhat obsolete and do not respond a bit with modern requirements. This type of epoxy is characterized by a serious viscosity, which causes the appearance of air bubbles when adding a hardener. After some time, the transparency of the ED-20 decreases, the coating begins to yellow. Some modifications are characterized by improved strength and are used to pour outdoor coating. An important advantage is the low cost of this resin.
- Crystal Glass. Products of this brand are produced in Yaroslavl. It is characterized by good fluidity and is an excellent solution for pouring rooms with a large area. Included, a hardener is also supplied, after mixing with which the resin must draw before use, which allows to improve the viscosity of the material. Usually such a resin use masters with experience. And also it is very in demand in the segment of creating jewelry.
- High-quality epoxy brand, which is produced in Germany is MG-Epox-Strong. She enjoys great authority among professional masters. MG-EPOX-STRONG has high strength, as well as transparency. And even through time the coating, made with its help, does not shine. One of the features of this brand is that it is usually fully free for 72 hours.
- EPOXY CR 100. Brand products are universal and as far as possible safe for health. It has excellent technical characteristics and is distinguished by antistatic, chimostability, as well as resistant to mechanical type effects. Many professional masters consider this brand the best of all that are present in the market.
How to use?
A number of masters work perfectly with the category of resin at home for the repair of various products and objects, as well as using glue compositions based on it. But to apply such a material to a person without experience initially will be quite difficult, because it should be understood that it should be done the perfectly even and smooth surface with the first time. Will not be superfluous.
Carefully need to explore the instruction that it will give the opportunity to ensure the maximum quality in which the coating will not have different defects – bubbles, chips, tubercles. If it was decided to practice, then you should not do it in the premises whose area is great. The reason – will require a special preparation of the foundation, a qualitative made composition and very smooth application of the layers. Wizards, which are engaged in bulk fields, use the rolling method of each layer before the start of polymerization. The master just goes on spikes that make it possible to take care of a new floor covering. Another complexity is the need to use a special roller for polymer coatings with teeth, something resembling a comb, which is used during massage. Such a roller makes it possible to remove all air bubbles from the coating. It is clear that only a person with experience can accomplish such a job.
But if you want to make any small decoration, everything will be easier. To do this, you will need to have the following:
- Disposable utensils;
- wand made of wood;
- directly resin with a hardenatory substance;
- shape without separator or with it.
Per 100 grams of matter will require 40 milliliters of the hardener, but the proportion may vary. It will depend on the manufacturer’s recommendations. Resin should be careful to warm up quite a bit and do not pull out from the pack. To do this, you will need to put it into the water, the temperature of which is +60 degrees Celsius and hold it about 10 minutes. After that, it is pulled out and put into dry disposable dishes or other capacity, which can be disposed of after use. Mass should be mixed 180 seconds. So that the result was as much as possible, it should be remembered by the following aspects:
- Air humidity in the room must be a maximum of 55 percent;
- Temperature should be from +25 to +30 degrees Celsius;
- The room should be the maximum purely.
Failure to observe any of the conditions can significantly reduce the quality of the result. The worst thing will be non-compliance with the acceptable parameter of moisture. The resinlessness with the hardener is very “afraid of the direct injection of water and high humidity of air masses indoors.
Surfaces where work will be made, it should be set horizontally by level, otherwise the product may be uneven. You should not forget that the form will be in one place until the finished product is completely polymerized. It must be located where it is convenient. After pouring each new layer, the product should be hidden from dust.
If you speak directly about the process of conducting work, it should be carried out according to the following algorithm:
- in resin, which was pre-mixed, you should add the required proportion of the hardener;
- Not too intense solution should be mixed about a quarter of an hour;
- If there are air bubbles in composition, they need to be removed, which can be carried out either by immersion of the substance into the vacuum space, or heating with a burner, but to a temperature of no more than +60 degrees, otherwise the composition will deteriorate;
- If there are bubbles that stick to the surface, they should be carefully pierced with toothpick and pour a little alcohol to a mass;
- It remains to give a layer dry.
Within an hour it will be clear how good the fill turned out to be. If the composition sucks, it will mean that the density of the components turned out to be unequal due to incorrectly selected proportions. It can also cause the appearance of spots and divorces on the surface. Complete composition of the composition can last up to 2 days depending on the thickness of the applied layer and the epoxy resin used.
It should be said that you should not make a thickness of more than 2 centimeters, especially people without experience.
If you touch the mass, which is not harder, will definitely be marriage. But you can accelerate the frozen resin. This will require after the primary pouring, which occurs after a couple of hours at a temperature of +25 degrees, move the shape into the dryer and dry at a temperature of +70 degrees. In this case, after 7-8 hours everything will be ready.
Note that for the first time it is better to use no more than 200 grams of resin. It is on such quantities that work should be clarified, time of frozen and other moments. The pouring of the next layer should not be carried out earlier than after 18 hours, after the presence of the past layer. Then the surface of the previous layer should be sanded with fine-grained beams, after which the following application can be carried out. But it is not active to use a multi-layered product that is not earlier than 5 days after readiness.
It will not be superfluous to say about some safety measures when working with epoxy resin. The main rule is that in an independent form, the composition is dangerous to human health, and therefore, without protection, it is impossible to work with it.
The work is carried out only in the presence of gloves and protective clothing, otherwise the resin can cause skin burns, dermatitis and damage to the respiratory system.
The precautions will be directly as follows:
- It is impossible to use food dishes when working with the material under consideration;
- Grinding of the finished product is made exclusively in the respirator and protective glasses;
- It should be remembered about storage time and no more than +40 degrees;
- If the composition was on the skin of a person, it is immediately necessary to wash off with water with soap or denatured alcohol;
- work should be carried out only in a well-ventilated room.
Overview of transparent epoxy resin Poly Glass in the video below.