With the word “shyhel”, or rather, its meaning, not everyone knows. If a person show this tool, he may be surprised – a strange name for a conventional chisel. But the crawler masters know what the Stirhel is different from the chisel, and why a good tool can become literally continuing the hand of the master.
With German, this word is translated as “cutter”, which explains the functionality of the tool. Modern Styhel embodies the optimal connection of 3 parts: blade, comfortable handle, rings. The handle most often has the shape of the fungus, is pulled out on a lathe of birch, beech or other suitable wood. On a thin tip of the handle, a durable sleeve is planted, protecting the handle from cracks when the scab on the blade. The blade shank is driven into the handle from the end ring. On the bottom face of the blade fragment of the handle cuts off. It helps the master to keep the net at a small angle to a metal surface, which helps to remove a very thin chips.
What other features of the tool should be noted:
- The length of the handle from 3 to 7 cm, engraver always chooses it individually;
- In a set set of cutters, all the handles must be equal to the samples;
- Blines are different and in form, and by the parameters of the section;
- The main requirement for the tool is the stability of its working part, which can be achieved by a good sharpening and competent hardening;
- When the cutting part is wear out, the cutter must be dragged.
People who have decided to engage in engraving work are primarily determined with the working surface. Engraving on the tree is not exactly what engravings on the metal. Metal transfiguration is more often used brass and copper. Cutting Schtyhele always starts with checking how sharp cutter. To do this, you need to cut a slightly cutter on the tip of the nail of the thumb, to spend on the tangent, trying to cut off the edge. Good, sharp shtihel cut the chips without any effort.
There are several engraving techniques, they are mastered gradually, one after another. Most likely, the wizard will have a dominant technique, which will be the most convenient and efficient for him.
And now – a small overview of the types of cutter.
So called a cutter, which in the section triangular and pointed, arc from two sides. The object has a flat back, straight blade and side faces with bulge. The blade is hosted at an angle of 30-45 degrees. This, you can say the most popular version of Stychel. It is necessary with different types of handmade: it is a markup, and a mark, and creating contours of the image, and the formation of deep lines, strong strokes.
It will be necessary if you need to trim the corners in the font works, if you need to clean something and correct. They also perform calligraphic inscriptions. If the tip of the cutter is deepened or, on the contrary, take closer to the surface, you can adjust the width of the groove.
This cutter has a flat cutting edge (the word “walled” is translated as “smooth” or “flat”). Rear flat line of tool parallel to the back. They are applied flat and wide lines, they leveled planes, they also remove the material between letters and lines. They can be made of removing backgrounds or align them, swing metal, make glossy trimming.
This tool will be the thinnest in the set. Cross section of the tool – an extended acute triangle, as it is near the web of a simple knife. By the way, “Messer” and means “knife”. It perfectly copes with the creation of hair lines of sufficient depth. The tool is equipped with a straight blade, a wedge-shaped profile with the straight walls and the radius of the blade edge of 0.1-0.2 mm. If the messershthel is purchased number zero, it will be a triangle with a sharp angle at the top (in cross section) and the base of 2.5 millimeters, which ensures confident operation of the device.
And this is a semicircular cutter, without which it is difficult to perform strict fonts, engraving letters, numbers and other symbols with round, semicircular and oval forms. They engrave deepening, make the clearing.
So called a filament cutter, very resembling phlachshtych. The rear facet of the tool, as well as the cutting edge there are protrusions, teeth, allowing parallel to make a row of strokes. The tool copes with the filamentous strokes, and also perfectly stew and shall. All noted above – the basic instruments of the engraver, but only by them Arsenal of Styhel, of course, is not exhausted.
It is used, for example, and a bench shyhel, creating wide, accurate, not very deep lines, and makes plane engraving patterns. Ustirshthel is used, although it is more often in demand in the jewelry sphere, because it can create a solid support for the stone. And Grabshtych has a diamond shape in cross section and curved blade.
In the jewelry case, the electroshchikhhel and pneumoshchylchel (the latter is often done independently, and even on the basis of copyright and experiments).
The dimension range of tools is quite large, some have at least two tens of sizes. Considered in the size of the width of the working part, the length of the blade and the size of the handle. For example, a flat cutter can be 4 mm working part width, 7 mm Length of blade and 82 mm per 40 mm handle length.
How to choose?
The cutter used for engraving must be a stronger metal that it processes. Ideally, you need to try working with Styhel under the supervision of an experienced specialist. Manual engraving – a thin craft, every engraver gets used to his tool, but to understand than one better than the other, you can only practice. Novice usually does not have opportunities and unnecessary funds for infinite search for high-quality product: Therefore, it helps the master class from an experienced engraver.
Experts share experience with novice raids.
- The length of the shyhel always needs to be selected Under your hand. This is a convenience question, therefore you have to try the tool in a small cutting fragment – and draw conclusions.
- Ideally, the first Styhel needs to be made independently. Of course, not everyone goes, but nothing gives such an express course of cutting, as an independent manufacture of tools for her.
- Search responses need on forums and communities – There is always updated information on brands, sets, successful acquisitions.
- Did not try – do not buy. This is an iron rule, because it happened more than once it happened that the relatives acquired a set of coolies for beginner-engraver, but his hands could not “work out”.
The selection of Stihel can be compared with the choice of brushes for drawing. And there, and there are some standards, specific sets and options.
But even the best brushes from the best manufacturers are not suitable for everyone – Again, the case in personal comfort. And excellent brushes do not give a guarantee of a talented pattern. So and the calm – as it were, they would not be expensive, will not replace the skill of cutting, his artistic component.
How to work?
This is the most important point in this review: a little to have a good tool (no matter, on wood, metal, or stone), in thread and engraving, the equipment and ownership of the instrument is important. Here are 10 tips novice.
- Tool (if the master right-hander) keep in their right hand so, To stop the handle accounted for a palm, And the large and index fingers captured the tool cloth in one and a half centimeters from the frontal face. Other fingers help keep the cloth and the handle of the product on the side and slightly below.
- Elbow when working on weight, Support for hand – only a thumb, which slides across the work surface. He is a brake, he is a limiter tool jumping forward.
- At the start of engraving, your fingers are arranged so, So that the big rests on the end of the index (right big and, respectively, the left index). The frontal line of the instrument must pass between the fingers.
- The tool is injected into the metal, by observing an angle of 40 degrees to the surface. Next, the handle falls down, already at an angle of 10 degrees, and you can engrave.
- The cutter always goes exclusively in a straight line right to left, Small intervals need to push forward.
- If you have to engrave curves lines, as well as rounded turns, all this can be done only in limited limits. The bends and turns perform the left hand, because it turns the work that is attached in the vice. And she turns towards the way tool.
- Manual engraving usually begin to work with Bolytehel. The beginning should be simple and safe, and therefore it is logical to work out not a straight movement, but a zigzag. The tip of the tool is introduced into the upper metal layer, and it pushes a zigzag on the right, performing a parallel slope to the surface.
- When the metal engraves long and straight lines, the newcomer will be convenient to put a small brass plate under the cutter. Then the tool will work on the principle of the lever, which for a beginner engraver is a good help in studying work techniques.
- So that there are no disruptions tool to ensure the accuracy of his movement, Styhel push forward you need in small steps.
- If Styhel has cut out, the work is immediately stopped, and the tool is sharpened. If this is not done, the tool is easily angry with the line and even scratches the surface.
Independently master engraving can units. Most need lessons, even if video format. But it is convenient: you can return to the problem moment and repeat until the error is fixed.
Chief Aspect of Care – Sharpecker. Tools are quick and often stupid, it is normal, it is not normal to lay sharpening for later. Sharpened Schyhel will easily crash into metal, well “obey” right hand, move in the direction of the image or inscription plan. Stupid Schichel is not just a risk of breakdown tool and scratches on metal, but also a threat to the injury of the working hand in the process of engraving.
Clean, in order should contain and grinding-polishing bars. It can be a diamond sharpening, Corundum, Arkansas and so on. Each wizard has her preferences. Tools, if they are from one set, should be stored in their places. Naturally, everything is safe, without risk, accidentally digit or step on the edge. Successful beginnings!