Little to know that the OSB plates were invented in Canada, during the construction period of frame-type houses. After some time, Russian specialists became interested in such technology. They began to use oriented chipboard for outdoor and inner cladding. But, despite the wooden texture, many people try to change the appearance of the plates, betraying them unusual decorativeness. One of these ways is plaster.
OSB-stove – multilayer construction material manufactured by recycling natural wood waste. Under the word “waste” implies wood chips and thin sins connected by synthetic resins and wax.
The distinctive feature of the OSB-stove lies in strength, flexibility, heat and sound insulation.
Despite all these characteristics, it is impossible to leave an OSB without a protective layer. The impact of moisture is negatively reflected on the material, it can swell, darken and even stratify. So that this does not happen, the OSB plates are plastered, thereby protect material from negative factors. And after the plaster, the surface can be decorated with any finishing material. It can be paint, wallpaper, decorative panels, siding, decorative stone and decorative plaster.
Many believe that even if there is a plastering layer, OSB can deteriorate. This opinion is erroneous. If there is a protective layer, OSB sheets cease to be afraid of temperature differences, become moisture resistant, acquire additional mechanical strength. Using the plaster mixture, it will be possible to create additional noise and thermal insulation, protect the panels, and most importantly – hide the connecting seams.
Approximately 80% of the components of the OSB-slabs consists of a natural tree. That is why it is recommended to use mixtures intended only for wood processing. However, in the building materials market, you can find a vertex mixture of a universal type.
Next, it is proposed to familiarize yourself with the list of putty compositions designed to align OSB surfaces.
- Oil-glue. In such products, the base is oil varnish. Olife is present as an additional component. May addition and other elements.
- Glue composition. We are talking about mixtures, the basis of which are oils, glue and various plasticizers.
- Nitrošpatlevka. The premistable mixture is based on the mixture, resin, plasticizers and a little solvent.
- Gypsum composition. The basis is plaster. As additional elements – polymer additives.
- Formulations with latex. Such mixtures are much more expensive than previously presented options. However, they are the most suitable for covering the OSB of facade surfaces and interior decoration.
According to the information presented it becomes clear that each individual species of putty has an individual composition. Accordingly, on the number of one or other components, the characteristics and properties of the mixture are changing.
The plaster of the universal type, which was mentioned earlier, are divided into several categories.
- Chernovaya. Such plaster is applied to the surface with a thick layer to hide all flaws.
- Decorative. Most often it is called finish. Applied to the prepared walls with the finest layer, and only after the wallpaper is glued, surface staining is made or decorative plaster is applied.
- Special. Such universal mixtures are characterized by heat-insulating, x-ray protection, moisture protection and noise-raising parameters.
In no way impress the fact that any plaster mixtures are separated by the scope of application:
- Stucco for interior decoration;
- stucco for outdoor decoration;
- Universal plaster.
By the way, the plastering mixture for interior decoration is divided by texture:
- “Lakes” – In this case, the surface receives a fine-grained structure, due to the presence of small raw stones;
- “Coroed” – the finished surface of something resembles a tree attacked by beetles;
- “fur coat” – Relief plaster having a smoothed surface resembling soft porcelines.
And yet, who would advise, experts recommend using the compositions designed specifically for processing OSB-boards.
Universal construction plaster, whose properties depend on the characteristics of the polymer used. If Syloxane is present, it means that the surface will receive additional protection against the impact of a wet environment for up to 5 years.
To date, polymer plaster is produced in 2 types:
- on a water-soluble basis;
- with organic solvents.
Of course, the cost of such plaster is quite high. However, performance features guarantee service duration.
This plaster after applying to the OSB surface creates a finished decorative layer that does not require further processing. It can be used when designing internal and outer decoration.
To date, decorative plasters are divided into textured and structural mixtures, in the compositions of which fillers of different fractions are applied. Accordingly, the final version of the finish will depend on the type of plaster used. It can be “lames”, “Coroed” or “fur coat”, which was previously stated.
The binders of mineral plaster components may be plaster, lime, cement or clay. These natural fillers have many advantages. First of all, they protect the surface from the impact of a wet environment, pass steam, are not afraid of sudden temperature drops, fireproof. Mineral plaster is also not afraid of ultraviolet, it is amenable to restoration and has an acceptable price.
The only drawback is the lack of elasticity. If there is a railway nearby, cracks appear on the vibration on the surface of the walls or the ceiling.
The distinctive feature of the represented plaster is visible in its name. It follows that With any loads and displacements of OSB-plates, the plaster will not crack, but simply stretch. This option is the best for new buildings that have not passed shrinkage.
The advantages of elastic plaster is to protect against moisture, environmental friendliness, durability, ease of care and restoration. Disadvantages – instability to fire and antistaticity.
Methods of applying plaster
When plastering OSB-plates, many masters face some difficulties:
- This material is absorbed by moisture present in solution;
- Due to the resulting moisture, the wooden basis can go cracks;
- It is very difficult to achieve good adhesion compositions.
To cope with these problems, the master must determine which plastering method is best used.
- Traditional option. In this case, it is assumed to be plastering the surface without using the insulation.
- Watching using insulation. Here we are talking about outdoor work using foam, bitumen cardboard or craft paper.
Thanks to the modern possibilities of the construction world, you can fly the walls, covered with OSB-stoves, indoors, arrange a finish of the house from the street. And at the expense of simplicity of applying a plaster mix, you can carry out repair work with your own hands.
Before proceeding with plastering, it is necessary to make preparation of OSB-boards, remove dust and dirt from them.
To get rid of complex contaminants, it is preferable to use White Spirit. After cleansing the surface is required to be projected and only after the panel plastered.
- put putty in the connecting seams;
- Plates are fixed by vapor barrier;
- over vaporizolation is applied by a layer of diluted glue;
- The glue is laid out the reinforcing grid;
- A day later, the finest layer of glue is applied to align the surface;
- The surface is processed by primer;
- The finishing plaster layer is applied.
Outside the room
To plastering OSB-plates installed on the facade of the building, it is recommended to use the Traditional Method. Of course, it suggests the duration of the preparation, since it is from the outside of the outside the material is most of all negative impact of the wet environment.
The surface preparation occurs in 3 stages:
- consolidation of moisture-proof materials;
- installation of reinforcing mesh;
When the primer layer is completely dry, it is necessary to take silicate or mineral plaster. The solution should be applied with a thin layer with a thickness of no more than 5 mm. The finished surface in the subsequent can be decorated.
Owners of houses that have no desire to spend money on an additional decor, it is proposed to use the polymer composition of plaster. Only the method of application implies a clear sequence of actions.
- Grinding. For this work it will take a sandpaper of large grain. With it, it is necessary to get rid of the protruding elements and other surface flaws.
- Primer. After grinding the plates are cleaned of dust and are grounded with a composition for wooden surfaces.
- Plastering. Neat, but fast movements, the plaster solution is applied to the primed plates.
The finished layer of polymer plaster does not require additional processing. However, if a desire arises, in subsequently it can be repainted.
The process of plastering walls indoors is divided into 2 stages – rough and finishing. Chernova implies the surface preparation, and the finishing – application of the plastering layer.
Surface preparation should be started with seams. Ideally apply silicone or acrylic sealant. Further work requires the use of sandwich to get rid of irregularities on the surface. Next, the plates are cleaned from dust and dirt, after which the primer is applied.
After drying the primer layer, it is necessary to start a putty. In this case, it is preferable to use the composition on adhesive basis. Before it is applied on the walls, a metal or plastic mesh is fixed, which improves the coupling of the mixture with the OSB base. After the spacion layer is applied, so that the grid is completely disappeared.
After the putty dries, you can proceed to decorative plastering. The selected mixture should be diluted according to the instructions from the manufacturer. Then the flat spatula is taken, and the mixture neatly applied to the surface in several layers.
The main thing is to ensure that the layer thickness does not exceed 5 mm. If the layers are applied with each other, it is important that the previous completely dry.
On the plaster OSB-slabs, see the following video.