OSP (decoding – oriented chipboard) are divided into 4 types: OSB-1, OSB-2, OSB-3 and OSB-4. The first 2 modifications are lowered by the lowest quality, they cannot be used to build the supporting structures, as well as apply indoors with high humidity. Of all kinds of materials, OSP-3 is considered the most popular. It has the best price relationship and operational qualities.
What it is?
OSP translated into English means an Oriented Strand Board that in the abbreviated version sounds like OSB, so the Russian abbreviation sometimes write OSB. This design multilayer material, in the manufacture of which coniferous woods are mainly used. For the production of plates from wood get a chip length of 8-20 cm. The resulting chips is stirred with a binder, boric acid and resins. The layers of the resulting mass glued together on the pressing equipment under the influence of high temperatures and pressure.
The main difference between OSP from other sawn timber – differences in chip orientation. Chip in the first and last layer are located along the length of the entire sheet, and on average – in perpendicular position relative to the covering layers. Unlike OSB-1 and OSB-2, OSB-3 plates have good water resistance.
OSB-4 has the best technical characteristics and operational qualities, however, due to the high price, the material is unopullen. Destinating OSP-3 from others can be in the ends – European manufacturers often color edges to prevent the material swelling.
Moisture-resistant modifications, in contrast to conventional, can be covered with film (laminated) or special varnish.
OSB-3 plates, the description of whose advantages of many builders, has recently acquired great demand. Their popularity is due to a number of benefits:
- low weight, facilitating transportation and installation of sheets;
- homogeneous structure;
- durable hold of fasteners due to high density;
- Convenience in the work – the material can be cut, cut and process with undergraduate tools;
- The ability to resort to several processing methods – sheets can be painted in the desired color, apply lacquer;
- Universality – OSB can be used to align the walls, arrangement of underpants or floors, as well as for other construction work.
The minuses include low aesthetics, Because of which the oriented chip panels are practically not used for external cladding. In addition, this sawn timber belongs to environmentally unsafe and combustible.
It has 4 class of toxicity hazard – this means that the material allocates many harmful substances into the environment during ignition and burning.
Characteristics and properties
OSB-3 has the same physicochemical properties over the entire surface. The material is durable, convenient in work, racks to humidity. Unlike natural wood, the slabs do not have internal voids and cracks on the surface, holes from the dropped bitch and other defects. Mechanical and chemical properties of OSB-3 are approximate to plywood. Consider them in more detail.
Many potential consumers OSB-3 are interested in their harmfulness for a person. The fact is that such building materials are not environmentally friendly and may be dangerous to health. In the manufacture of panels, the resins obtained by chemicals are used as a binder. Most often manufacturers use phenol formaldehyde and melamine-formaldehyde. Thanks to the use of these substances, it is possible to increase the strength of the plates and reduce the cost of production.
Polymer binders can harm human health, as they highlight benzene, phenol, formaldehyde and other carcinogenic compounds to the environment. Finding into the body in large quantities, they cause skin diseases, allergic rashes, respiratory diseases and vision. To find out the concentration of harmful substances, you need to explore the information in the certificate of conformity.
In such documentation, manufacturers indicate information about the conducted studies – you can argue about the safety of the goods.
Formaldehyde emission class is determined by standards:
Classes of E0-E1 classes carry minimal harm to health. They can be used indoors, as well as for decoration of hospitals and children’s rooms. Building materials E2 and E3 due to higher concentration of carcinogenic substances allowed to be used only for external work.
Depending on the manufacturer, the rigidity of OSB-3 may vary slightly. Basically, the slabs are able to withstand the load not exceeding 640 kg / m3. Their bend strength relative to the longitudinal axis is 22 N / mm2, and in transverse – 11 N / mm2.
Its indicators are 640-650 kg / m3 (corresponds to the values of coniferous wood rocks). Due to the good density, the building material will not crumble and does not resolve when processing and installing fastening elements in it. Due to use in the production of large chips, the plates are able to reliably hold hardware even at the minimum distance from the ends of 1 cm. At the same time, chips and other defects from mechanical impacts are not formed on the sheet.
OSB-3 refer to waterproof plates. They are allowed to use in rooms with high humidity, as well as in external work. The moisture resistance of these building materials is calculated using the belling coefficient in thickness. To determine the stove of a certain thickness is placed in water for 24 hours.
After this time, the smell of material is fixed, the OSB-3 coefficient should not exceed 15%.
OSB-3 sheets have low vapor permeability equal to 0.0031 mg / (m · h · par). It is comparable to the particle resistance of the foam glass. Low indicators are achieved due to the use of resin materials, which, when hardening, poorly skip the steam. Sheets have a weak biological stability with a long deposit in conditions of high humidity or with sharp temperature leaps. In dry panels, the panels are rarely affected by fungal and moldless microorganisms. To increase the biological resistance of OSP-3, it is recommended to use special moisture protection compositions: varnishes and paints with protective functions.
OSB-3 has a good heat transfer resistance – the material perfectly holds heat inside the room and creates a barrier to the penetration of the cold. The thermal conductivity indicators directly depend on the thickness of the sheets. For example, a 9 mm panel will be 0.08 W / (M · K), and 18 mm – 0.16 W / (M · K).
Domestic and foreign manufacturers offer OSB-plates of various dimensions. Thickness of products is (in mm):
Some manufacturers offer particularly durable and hard panels thick 22 and 30 mm. Popular sheets of sheets (in mm):
Weight 1 sheet depends on the size of the material. In the standard sizes panels it ranges from 12 to 45 kg. When selecting the sizes of OSB-3 to cover the surfaces, it is best to give preference to dimensional sheets, for example, 3000×1500 mm – thus it will be possible to reduce the number of joints.
The range of oriented chipboard is represented by goods of domestic and European production. The rating of popular brands includes the following companies: Kronospan, Bolderaja, Glunz, Kalevala, Ultralam, Egger, Izoplat, Arbec.
- Brand Kronospan was founded in Latvia. His branches in Romania, Belarus and Russia began to operate with the extension of production facilities. Under this brand, high-quality materials with the E1 emission class are produced. The manufacturer offers products with a smooth outer and rough inside, which provides more convenient installation of building materials.
- According to consumers, the most popular Latvian manufacturer of OSP – Bolderaja. This is one of the largest European woodworking enterprises. Bolderaja slab materials are characterized by good physico-chemical characteristics and operational properties. OSB-3 are produced with even ends or T & G-4 type “Schip-Paz”. There are highly durable panels with a thickness of 30 mm.
- The major German manufacturer of OSB-3, who united the Sonae Industria group of companies, is Glunz. Under this brand, safe plates are produced with a class of emission class E0.
In the production of oriented-pall sheets, the manufacturer uses carefully selected raw materials and environmentally friendly binders.
- “Kalevala” – the next largest manufacturer of high-quality tile materials, the production of the power of which is located in Russia. For the manufacture of OSP, they use Karelian wood, which is famous for high strength indicators, due to which the density of the finished sheets is up to 700 kg / m3. Due to excellent quality, the products of this brand gained popularity not only in Russia, but also in the CIS countries.
- Another reliable domestic manufacturer of OSP-3 – Ultralam. It offers tiled materials with the best value and quality ratio. Ultralam plates are manufactured using continuous pressing technology. Plates of this brand are distinguished by perfect geometry and high density indicators – at least 620 kg / m3.
- Under the brand egger Plates with low hygroscopicity of the E0 and E1 standard, which makes them in demand for interior decoration.
- Plates of brand “Isoplat” differ in physical characteristics from the OSP-3 of the above manufacturers. They have a smaller density and greater looseness. Such panels of industries. However, they found their buyers at the expense of the budget value and ensure good thermal and sound insulation.
- ARBEC entered the ranking of the best manufacturers. This is a Canadian brand, under which an OSP with increased water resistance, good thermal insulation and the best noise absorption indicator.
Areas of use
OSB-3 is allowed to use both indoors and outside. They found wide use for the following types of work:
- When building a roof dryer;
- To cover the internal and exterior walls of the house;
- during the arrangement of draft floors (for alignment of the surface under laminate, linoleum, parquet board or other facing materials);
- when finishing the ceiling surfaces;
- when erecting staircases and stairs;
- for mounting overlaps, foreign beams;
- to create supporting structures for various finishing materials;
- for formwork when erecting the foundation base;
- When arranging floors in trucks.
OSB-3 can be used in furniture production. In the manufacture of furnishing items, they are used to create details that are planned to be exposed to high loads. Transporting drawers, advertising shields, production racks and shelves are often made from sheets of oriented chips.
Tips for choosing
In construction stores, OSP-3 are sold in a wide range, because of which the consumer is difficult to choose a quality product.
- When buying tiled material, you must first pay attention to the emission class of harmful substances. For the manufacture of furniture and finishing indoors, it is recommended to choose OSB E0 or E1. E2 plates are suitable for street work. From the products with the emission class E3 it is best to refuse.
- Choosing a sheet thickness, you need to take into account the view and intensity of the alleged loads, the distance between the supporting structures, as well as the bearing plates parameters.
- For roofing work it is best to give preference to panels with a corrugated or rough side. It allows you to get a good degree of adhesion to bitumen primers and mastic. Laminated sheets or OSP-3 coated with varnish are suitable for external trim. Panels with such coatings are better confronted by moisture, due to which they are recommended to use in rooms with high humidity.
- Choosing the plates, you need to consider their smell. It should be abandoned from the purchase of products that exudes the sharp smell of formalin or plastic – it indicates high toxicity of products.
- Before buying, you need to ask a certificate of conformity to acquired building materials and other related documentation. And it is also necessary to inspect the package – it must be solid, without breaks. Reliable manufacturers are equipped with tiled lumber inserts that indicate the marking of goods and its physico-chemical properties.
Mounting and use features
OSB-3 installation does not require special skills. For fixing plates allowed to use various fasteners: nails, screws, rivets or screws. In addition, materials can be glued together with special compositions for wood. When choosing glue, you need to take into account the load on the surface, the degree of humidity during operation, as well as the desired degree of connection. Non-toxic substances should be selected for internal work.
Installation recommendations for floor arrangement:
- Laying materials with straight ends is made with a gap of 3-4 mm, with the arrangement of the floating floor, the gap between the sheet and the wall should be at least 12 mm;
- The connection of short edges must be carried out by lags, and long – with the help of a spike-groove compound;
- Panels should be fixed with nails, for more reliable fixation you need to apply glue between PSL and lags.
When laying floors in open areas, it is necessary to protect the facing from moisture – for this it can be additionally covered with specialized moisture protection compositions. If the coating is in the rain, it is recommended to provide a drainage system and a waterproofing layer. When installing the panel using screws, it is recommended to pre-hold holes.
To achieve the desired results, it is impossible to use wet panels. If the materials got under the rain, they need to be treated with the compositions of biological corrosion and wait when shears dried.
OSB-3 – multifunctional building materials. It is used in various spheres, which will depend on the features of installation work.