Larch is a tree that is familiar to many of its healing properties and an unforgettable aroma. But few people know that due to their characteristics, this breed is not inferior to the oak. We are talking about strength and moisture resistance than the actively use of it in construction is due. In our country, larch plantings are widely represented in the Far East and in Eastern Siberia.
Larch – a variety of coniferous plants of the family pine. The exact origin of the word is unknown, it is clear that the name goes back to the Celtic-Latin word LARIX, LARIDUM (resin, fatty due to resin tree). It is the resin contained in larch wood in large quantities, distinguishes it from pine. It should be noted that due to the resin, the tree is considered high strength, because it is older, the tougher resin.
Strength depends on the place of growth (the most durable trees grow in Altai) and varieties (Venetian pile of alpine larch over 1000 years).
Larch has some common characteristics for all its varieties.
- This is the only kind of coniferous, which resets the needles for winter.
- In the spring, sometimes you can notice the amazing tree flowering process. It is represented by cones of extraordinary beauty.
- Well tolerated wood tree (up to -60 degrees).
- Larch belongs to tall trees. Thickness of the trunk of an adult tree can reach the meter.
- Young larch cone. In adult tree (grows from 300 to 800 years) it is egg-shaped.
- The structure of wood is such that it has a saturated-bright color.
- As already noted, the texture has very strong qualities. Especially obviously expressed this property in places with protracted harsh winters and a short summer.
- Larch trees trunks have the right form – they are long and straight.
Pros and cons
Tree has a number of advantages and disadvantages. First consider the pluses.
- Tree is considered high strength. It does not even rot in water. In addition, thanks to the large content of resin, the longer it is in it is, the stronger becomes.
- Larch is not exposed to tree beetles, which scares all the same resin.
- The tree has fire resistance.
- The bark and resin larch are widely used in medicine.
There are some minuses to which a number of factors include.
- Due to the high density in a dry tree, it is rather difficult to drive the nail, which makes it difficult to use the material in construction.
- High resin content becomes an obstacle to the cut, as it is clogged into the teeth of the saw, increasing the wear of the instrument. Color the tree can only after degreasing with a special solution.
- Before using a lumber from larch, you need to dry specially. At first, it is long under the influence of a special mode of “Rard”, then the material is subjected to a soft drying mode. Otherwise, the material will be spoiled, because with the wrong drying it is crossed and cracks.
More than 20 varieties of larch. Of them, 14 is growing in Russia. In our country, the Siberian larch and Daurus, who are among the most common varieties are mainly represented in our country.
Siberian larch (it is also called the larch of Sukachev) takes about 13-15% among other varieties. It is possible to recognize it according to branches that depart from the trunk at right angles. Their ends smoothly climb up. The tree is rather unpretentious and grows in the urban environment. It is almost entirely with useful properties for humans (and bark, and needles, and resin).
Daurry larch is the most common tree. This is one of the most frost-resistant varieties. Grows up on many soils, but not on excessively swampy, with a great excess of moisture.
In addition to Siberian and Dauros, still European and Japanese (Cempfera) are widely distributed.
European is most often growing in Europe (Central and Western). It should be noted that This type has about 5 breeds (HORSTMANN RECURVED, KORNIK, PULI and OTHER). This is the tallest variety: in the Alps height reaches 50 m, the diameter of the trunk – more than 1 m. In Russia, to such parameters, the European larch may not be due to climatic conditions (here the maximum height will be 25 m, but it does not always happen).
Japanese larch got a name thanks to the country where she first revealed her features. Widespread in Korea. Used only in decorative purposes. It is characterized by a height of up to 35 m, the autumn of the needles becomes bright yellow.
In addition to the species mentioned above, Allocate Kurilskaya, Olginsky. And hybrids are derived: Amur, Chekanovsky, Lyubarsky, Okhotsk. Nowadays, it is possible to buy in nurseries in nurseries and specially removed by breeders of decorative larch breeds. They are considered, in contrast to wild rocks, dwarf trees (their height does not exceed 2 meters). These are the varieties of “bullets”, “Koringer”, “Creiche” and others.
Scope of application
A number of larch features makes it possible to widely use the material from this tree both in construction and the finishing of the room: as a lining (thin wearing board), edged board, floor and plaque (profiled unfolded board).
As for construction, that is, one important feature of the tree: Building material from larch is able to withstand any loads, which justifies its use as ceiling beams.
In addition, since the larch does not absorb moisture, and in terms of strength is not inferior to the oak, it is used for the manufacture of log houses, windows.
Resistance to high humidity causes the active use of larch for building and finishing a bath and other premises with an excess of moisture. All the same moisture resistance of the larch material is the reason for which the tree is used and for the manufacture of garden furniture. She is not afraid of rain, snow, temperature drops, which allows the use of larch furniture on open veranda and terraces.
They are famous for their strength barrels and rigs from larch, which are used in winemaking just like oak.
It is not surprising that many ancient buildings, erected from larch, have survived to this day. These are the details of the finishing of the ancient ussers (Sheremetyeva estate), churches (the church of Vasily blissful). A larch was actively used and used, along with rare varieties of tropical trees, in shipbuilding. Make it and musical instruments.
As for the use of wood in medicine, Not only needles larch – valuable material is its bark containing a certain organic matter (acids: Catechins, flavonoids) and tanning substances. Thanks to this, the cortex tincture is used to external use in the treatment of various ulns, ulcers, it prevents the appearance of the bleeding of the gums. Folk Healers and Discounts Recommend for the Prevention of Oral Diseases to chew a larch resin. The oil of young needles is widely used in aromatherapy in the treatment of colds. A tincture of young shoots on milk, according to representatives of traditional medicine, is a good cough agent.