Color organic glass is an acrylic sheet, which is a plastic polymer with a slight weight. Glass This material is called conditional – it has a characteristic transparency for glass.
In addition to transmitted copies, you can find both matte and light scaffolding options for various colors.
Excursion in history
For the first time, the plexiglass was created in Germany in the 20th century, in the period between the two world wars. At that time and for some time after The plexiglass was called “Plexiglas”, since it was under this brand that he paten his German chemist Otto Rem.
From the beginning of the 1930s, the industrial production of this material from the thermoplastic acrylic resin began. It was established that such a substitute for conventional glass has a lot of advantages and perfectly suited primarily for aviation – the safety of the pilot cabin was ensured by the increased strength and absence of sharp fragments in the destruction of the plexigla.
Soon this transparent material was used in all kinds of military equipment – in addition to aviation in water and ground. but Already during World War II, it was found that plexiglas besides advantages and a significant drawback is easily ignited. It is clear that for military aviation, this minus in the root crossed the advantages of the acrylic polymer, and the designers began to access other transparent materials.
However, the plexiglass, and especially color, in the future, found the use of almost all areas of human life – from construction and design to optics, medicine and agriculture.
Features and production
Color options of plexiglas are obtained by various additives in the main raw material – acrylic resin. There are two methods for the production of plexiglas:
- Casting (block method) – molten raw materials with the necessary additives is poured into a form for further polymerization;
- Extrusion (extrusion method) – The hot mass passes between two devices, forming a thin sheet, which is subsequently being cooled and cutting on various forms.
The texture of the colored plexiglass may differ, so the material is widely in demand in the design of the premises.
Modern production offers consumers in addition to glossy matte panels, with texture in the shape of waves, crumpled paper, compressed skin, velvet fabric, pieces of ice, droplets, bee honeycombs.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main difference between the leaf acrylic from conventional glass is that the material in question is easily processed:
- safe cutting and grinding (you can use a tool for cutting a metal, the process of work is not more difficult than with wood);
- drumming holes without forming cracks for bonding with other elements;
- fixation by various types of glue (specialized adhesive compositions, adhesive tapes for plexiglas, solutions based on glue and solvents);
- flexion and attaching various forms by heating (at the same time the optical properties of the material are not changed).
In addition, acrylic sheets have a number of advantages due to which they are widely demanded on the market.
- A light weight. Plexiglas weighs several times less than traditional glass with the same thickness and size. Thus, for the design of the leaf acrylic, reinforced supports or frames will not be needed, which will not allow no overload space.
- High light transpact capacity – over 90%. At the same time, the material is not affected by ultraviolet, keeps its color, does not turn yellow, there are no burnt stains on it.
- Impact strength. To break the plexiglass, the impact force will be required, several times greater than necessary to break the conventional glass. In addition, the material when breaking does not fall into small sharp fragments.
- Resistance to biological and natural factors. Plexiglas does not destroy moisture, it is resistant to the reproduction of microorganisms, mold and fungus, so often used in wet rooms, in the manufacture of water transport, aquariums. Also, has high frost resistance.
- Resistance to aggressive media. The material demonstrates increased resistance to chemical compounds, due to which various household cleaning products can be applied to products.
As for the shortcomings, they are mainly associated with technological difficulties in the manufacture of products. In the domestic use of leaf acrylic, two main minuses can be distinguished.
- High combustibility. As noted above, the material is easily ignited, therefore, in order to safety it is forbidden to use it near open fire, heating appliances, as well as in the baths. However, it is worth noting that when inflammation, the plexiglass does not release toxic substances, as it is environmentally friendly.
- Exposure to mechanical damage. On the sheet acrylic often there are often unsightly scratches from the effects of acute items, so the material is unresolonna to sneak the kitchen surfaces.
Stained glass is presented in the modern market in the widest color palette. You can find options in classic colors – white and black acrylic glass, as well as all the traditional colors of the iridescent spectrum – from saturated to more pale shades of red, green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, blue. At the same time, staining substances in multi-colored glasses do not affect the degree of transparency and do not distort visibility through glass.
The most popular sales statistics in interior design are varieties of colors:
- white (beige, ivory, coffee with milk);
- brown (golden glow, dark bronze);
- gray (opal, silver, smoky).
Listed options are considered universal, non-cutting eyes, and therefore are suitable for decorating the premises in any styles.
Along with transparent colorful glasses, in demand and matte varieties. They diffuse light perfectly, they are often used for plaffers of lamps.
Another quality of the matte glass is opaque, due to which it is used for the manufacture of shirm, walls of shower cabins, office partitions.
Scope of application
Multicolored acrylic glass in the modern world can be found almost everywhere. For decoration of premises, plexiglas is used in creating ceiling for lamps, decorative suspension, shop windows, podiums, partitions in offices and apartments, aquariums, suspended ceilings. In the conditions of the street, colored organic glass is often used in outdoor advertising, design of facades, stained glass, as domes for public transport stops.
In the manufacture of various designs, various sheet acrylic is used.
- From 1.5 to 2 mm – The thinnest and flexible option is used in the production of sunglasses, caske and protective helmets, contact hard lenses, visits, badges, stands for advertising booklets.
- From 3 to 5 mm – the scope of application affects advertising activities, but already in facilities requiring increased strength. It can be elements of showcases, signs, backlit pointers. Often, colored glass of such thickness is used in designer structures, as well as in the design of side automotive glasses.
- From 6 to 10 mm – Used to glazing a different kind of designs – premises, veranda, yacht visors, stopping and inputs in the subway, stands for presentations.
- From 12 to 20 mm – the most dense variety of colored organic glass, is used to create steps, podiums, scenes, dance floors, pavilions.
Below are top manufacturers that offer a variety of quality products at affordable prices. The cost is indicated for the mid-standard sheet thick 3 mm.
- OJSC DOS. Russian company supplies extrusion organic glass with a glossy surface. Main colors – milk and fluorescent varieties. The company also manufactures acrylic sheets for individual orders in any color scheme. Price – within one and a half thousand rubles per square meter.
- “Safflast”. Another Russian manufacturer offering an extrusion glossy acrylic worth 700-800 rubles for 1 kV. meter. Colors – White, Yellow, Red, Blue and Black.
- EVONIK INDUSTRIES AG. The German company is engaged in the manufacture of acrylic sheets of a wide range. On sale there are both cast and extrusion varieties. Presented matte, glossy, textured, mirror specimens. Color range – 250 different shades, including gold, silver and bronze. Price for 1 square. m varies from 1.5 to 4.5 thousand rubles, depending on the series.
- LUCITE INTERNATIONAL. Production – England, Product Type – Cast, Colors – Green, Shades of Red, Black, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Orange. There are options with fluorescent shades. Cost per 1 kV. meter – 1200 rubles.
- Rexglass. Taiwanese company exports cast organic glass of a variety of shades of the rainbow spectrum. Price Democratic – from 900 rubles per 1 kV. meter.
About what is acrylic or plexiglass, you can learn from the video below.