Sandblasting machine allows cleaning of any surfaces from rust, plaque and other contaminants. Such processing is very popular in many industries. The quality and safety of work depend on the abrasive used. For each surface, the sand is selected. It should be aware of the peculiarities of abrasive, species, the field of use, as well as the criteria for selection and application.
Abrasive for sandblasting is a generalized term. In fact, the composition for abrasive can be sets of minerals of different sizes of fractions. In the process of operation, the sand crashes a stream under high pressure. The mixture cleans the surface from paint residues, varnish, rust, scale and contaminants. Work is carried out before the primer surface.
Sand is chosen based on the type of surface treated and the type of fallow, which you need to remove. With incorrect selection of abrasive, it is capable of damaging the surface or harm the employee.
The material has its own characteristics. Each species is characterized by the degree of hardness. Capital resistance of the mixture is determined by a scale of 10 points. Each of the points corresponds to the splitting unit of the sand pellets when contact with the surface. High-quality abrasive has high parameters and is not exposed to splitting at pressure. The fraction is the degree of grain. It happens:
When buying products, a passport is issued showing the fraction. The number includes the percentage ratio of the volume and diameter of the granules. From the fraction dependes the choice of the type of nozzle for processing, the degree of pressure of the jet and the type of surface.
The mixture has an abrasive ability that makes it possible to find out the amount of work and approximate time to perform the task. Another main indicator is mechanical resistance. It determines the degree of resistance of granules to mechanical effects. With a high sand parameter, it has the smallest ability to collapse when contacting the workpiece.
The feature of sand for sandblasting is recovery. This indicator shows how many times you can use the mixture again.
There is sand for disposable. With high recovery indicators, abrasive can be used several times or more.
A secondary feature is the chemical resistance, which characterizes the properties of interaction when contact with solutions and impurities. Treatment with sand is subjected to metal and concrete surfaces. The cleaning process in this way allows you to extend the life of the product and prevents re-penetration of rust and pollution in the thickness of the material. Sandblasting abrasive has many species, each of which is endowed with its peculiarities and is intended for cleaning a certain surface.
Scope of application
The mixture for the sandblasting machine is in demand in different fields.
- Sandblasting abrasive everywhere use for processing facade of buildings, car cleaning, various plaels. Processing is also effective when cleaning copper products.
- Especially popular and fashionable type of work – coverage of drawings and matting on glass. In this case, a quartz mixture of the minimum fraction is applied.
- Highly hardness abrasive is used to treat Kanenic Glass – Electrocorpp.
Different types of mixtures are widely used.
- The use of sand is effective when removing rust with metal structures. In this case, the dried, sifted mixture is applied, not divided into fractions;
- For cleansing products from the solar coating, paint, varnish fits sand 0.4-0.5 mm.
- Soased rust remove more serious material: nickelschlak or kupershlak.
- To clean the car body use sand high degree of hardness and limiting faction.
- Titanium and steel surfaces perfectly cleans garnet sand or electrocorundum.
- When cleaning stainless steel things, glass balls are used.
Review of species
Abrasive for sandblasting equipment is divided into species, each of which has its own characteristics and scope. All types of sand are produced strictly in accordance with the norms of the GOST. Norms are set on the basis of the module of the fraction, the filtration coefficient, the degree of hardness and other indicators.
Is the most chassis. It is effective when processing and inexpensive. Some confused abrasive with river sand. But quartz material has characteristic differences: homogeneity, lack of organic impurities and inclusions. Abrasive powder weighs little, has a porous consistency, but it cannot be reused.
Sand process metal and concrete blanks. The process uses a dusting system, or work occurs in a closed chamber. Dust passes through the filters and there remains. So perform cleaning equipment needed regularly.
In some countries, the use of sand is prohibited. During processing, quartz dust settles on the lungs, which causes serious diseases.
Nickelschlak and Kupershlak
When smelting copper and nickel black slag is formed. Material is used with abrasive processing. There is a small amount of quartz in the mixture: only 1%, due to which the abrasive is allowed to use in all countries. Both types of slag have its own characteristics: high density and degree of hardness, low consumption. Unlike quartz Nickelschlak and Kupershlak handle the surface is much better.
Nickelslak can be used up to 3 times. Kupershlak Perfect only with one-time application.
Special view of abrasive for delicate cleansing. It is used to handle car, yachts, removal of old coatings, while restoration of architectural monuments and antiques. In Russia, plastic granules are practically not used due to an inflated value.
They are used in the process of completion of cleaning. They are suitable for matting and removing particle residues after processing.
From natural stone
Corundum is more efficient processing material. It is mined from the environment. In fact, Abrasive is an aluminum oxide of the correct crystalline form. Corundum applied before making the steel surface. The material is expensive, but in the process of work pays off.
Mixture of reusable. With repeated application, the granules are effective, not split and retain their initial properties.
From the main advantages of the material allocate small consumption and the complete absence of dust in the process.
Widely used in many areas. Got its popularity due to high density and efficiency. Abrasive Reusable Application Suitable only for hydraulic cutting.
There are other types of product.
- Another type of mixture is a metal fraction. The material is made of steel and cast iron, it is inexpensive and is a mixture of reusable. High performance shows steel fraction. The mixture is homogeneous, with a clear fraction that allows you to remove even the most solar fathers and pollution. The only minus of the metal fraction is considered to be problematic with the collection for reuse.
- Pomegranate sand – solid material that is produced in various fractions. According to the degree of hardness, abrasive is inferior only by Kerund. The cost is high, but high performance and degree of cleaning. Pluses of material are small consumption and reusable use.
- Ceramic crumb Has a high price, but has a number of advantages over the rest. It can be used repeatedly. The amount of reuse exceeds 400 applications. Strong granules perfectly clean the surface, while consumption is minimal. During the processing process, the use of dusting equipment.
To choose abrasive, you need to know some of the characteristics of the type and state of the surface. The density and hardness of the layer are determined.
- For a dense solar coating, it is better to use the abrasives of a high degree of hardness. For a less durable layer use sand of a small density.
- To prevent the appearance of dents or chips when cleaning, the sand of the minimum fraction is selected.
- The use of solid material with sharp edges will significantly increase the cleaning rate.
- With rough processing of abrasive granules must be a large diameter. Large-scale material more effective in work. For one-time process, it is better to purchase cheap quartz sand or cooker stake. They are used before the painting body of cars or plaels. The impact of these mixtures on the surface has a softer effect, the appearance of chips and roughness is minimal.
When choosing a fraction, you must require the seller a certificate in which a fractional degree is prescribed. To find the right fraction, repel from the power of the output of the granules, since the power capacity affects the strength of the sand strike.
When choosing, also pay attention to the hardness of the granules. The value is determined by a 10-point scale. The higher the hardness, the more reuses of use.
The abrasive ability of the material determines how much time the processing will take and how many billets can be cleaned during this period. The manufacturer tests its products and indicates information on the package. Often this indicator is approximate. In any case, the choice of mixture should be under the supervision of a professional.
The consumption of the material is determined on the basis of the diameter of the nozzle and pressure in the apparatus. So, the approximate consumption of the material has certain values. These indicators should be considered when choosing.
- The diameter of the nozzle is 3.0 mm has a consumption of 24 m 3 / hour at a pressure of 3.5 atm. At a pressure of 7.0 atm consumption – 42 m 3 / hour.
- The diameter of 5.5 mm consumes 72 m 3 / hour at a pressure of 3.5 atm. The pressure of 7.0 atm gives consumption in 132 m 3 / hour.
- The diameter of 6.0 mm consumes 102 m 3 / hour at a pressure of 3.5 atm. 7.0 atm pressure – consumption 174 m 3 / hour.
When buying an abrasive mixture in the store, pre-preparation of the material is not required. But at some enterprises and in domestic purposes often used river sand. Abrasive is available for anyone who wants and does not make thinking about the flow rate. But to achieve high-quality and safe cleaning, you need to perform actions to prepare.
- To achieve homogeneity, sand must be sifted. To do this, it is better to use a sieve. The grid is selected based on the sand fraction. Many use mosquito or construction grid, tulle – it all depends on the diameter of the particles. Better sink material 3 times.
- Then you need to dry abrasive. In the conditions of the enterprise he is dried in special dryers. In everyday life enjoyed. Some sandblastiers distribute sand on the surface of the metal sheet and put it on top of the mangala. Someone is more convenient to dry on a film or with a heat gun. Well dried abrasive should wake up through a loosely compressed fist.
River sand contains quartz. Industrial sectors use special dust suppression equipment. There is no such means. Therefore, in order to avoid sand particles in the lungs, the employee must carefully protect the respiratory tract, and also needs to protect the eyes.
Comparison of electrocorund and quartz sand for abrasive in the video below.