Acrylic wood varnish is often used for internal work. His inconvenience for outdoor use is due to the specificity of the composition, however, the types for the exterior decoration still exist. It should be considered the scope of use and features of this varnish in more detail.
Acrylic lacquer has in the composition of dispersion and other substances, allowing not only to process the tree with a uniform layer, but also protect it from some harmful effects. There are not only the consequences of the livelihood of microorganisms, but also all sorts of climatic influences: increased dryness or humidity, for example. By itself, such a varnish has a texture of thick sour cream, but it is more viscous. Classic color – Gentle milk.
The tool has many advantages, including the following.
- Safety. As part of acrylic varnishes there are no toxic elements. Some of them can even paint the dishes.
- Durability. High-quality varnishes are not very erased over time, reliably protecting wooden surfaces for many years.
- Environmental purity. Not to say that all elements entering the lacquer are natural, but it decomposes and does not harm the environment.
- Practical convenience. For varnish surfaces it is easy to care, especially if they are distinguished by increased strength characteristics.
- High functionality. Lucky are used to perform various wood coatings, starting with painting of dishes elements and ending with the processing of terraces and arbors.
- Aesthetic attractiveness. A tree covered with acrylic paint materials looks presentable. Color and texture are deepened, the texture appears clearer
- Ergonomic. This refers to the achievement of optimal characteristics at low material consumption. For example, applying only two layers, you can only limit them, because the tree will already look good.
- High elasticity. Thoroughly, varnish forms a protective film, to remove which is impossible in the future.
- High strength characteristics. Even with a high level of load, the lacquer coating never erased completely.
- High adhesive properties. Varnish has a good grip with the source surface, as a result of which it is achieved as high strength.
- Major smell. Many consumers celebrate the presence of a weak smell similar to the one that gives ordinary gouache. Epoxy and other paintwork materials in no comparison.
- Short period of time, Casting and drying. As a rule, the application of varnish in several layers can be performed during one daylight.
- Resistance to the life of microorganisms. Acrylic varnishes clog the surface of the tree, not letting the plants or bacteria to penetrate it.
- Resistance to adverse climatic phenomena. Meaning room microclimate. For example, lacquered material is able to protect the tree from cracking in conditions of rooms with dry warm air.
- Available cost. The price of acrylic paints and varnishes cannot be called excessively high, rather, it is at the average level.
- Simplicity of work. For applying, several tools will be suitable: varnish is not very capricious in this regard.
In addition to the advantages, it has the material and some flaws.
- The need for a special temperature and climate mode when applied. You can not apply lacquer if the temperature is at a mark below +5 degrees or above +30 degrees. The technology will be broken, and the paintwork will not be guaranteed durable. Also need to avoid drafts.
- Need for special storage. You can not freeze or cool the material, expose it to sunlight.
Initially, all acrylic varnishes are divided into two large groups: one-component and two-component. In one-component varieties, only acrylic is contained; Two-component are characterized by the presence of also polyurethane.
It is worth noting that two-component varnishes guarantee higher strength, Therefore, they are most often chosen for external work.
The most popular turns out of water based acrylic varnishes. They are increasingly replaced by ordinary furniture coating varnishes. Acrylic aqualaks have become so popular, because compared to the other means, also having a water basis (alkyd, for example), they are cheaper.
Reverse side of the medal – strength characteristics. They can not be called elevated. As a result, such varnishes are not used outdoors. They are only suitable for painting floors and furniture, while it is important to comply with all the requirements for working with paintwork materials indicated on the package. Usually meant temperature and humidity.
Two-component acrylic polyurethane varieties, despite the almost similar price, have higher strength properties than their one-component equivalent. However, it is not necessary to apply this type outside the room: for outdoor work it will not fit.
Acrylate varnishes, also related to acrylic, have a somewhat extended range of applications. So, with their help, you can not only tint and give glossy radiance with clean wooden surfaces, but also apply them to already painted elements. Important here to keep in mind one thing. Used for paint paint should also be water-dispersion, otherwise the varnish will not grab as it should.
Types of acrylic varnishes a bit, but each of them is universal. If necessary, you can use each of them for the outer finish, but only on the condition that you live in a moderate climatic belt without extreme weather conditions. Otherwise, the paint material will not stand and just crack, losing the lion’s share of its operational properties.
Initially, the acrylic lacquer for wood is produced in the milky white color, but when drying it, it forms a colorless film, which only emphasizes the texture of the tree, without giving it any special shade. Transparent film only gives shine, due to which the original tone of the wood seems deeper and rich.
In recent years, new production and composure technologies have emerged, which allowed to significantly expand the color gamut varnishes. Now you can easily purchase a squeak acrylic pattern, which can successfully replace the veil. So you can solve two problems at once without resorting to complex procedures: to give the boards the desired color and protect them.
In terms of gloss, five degrees differ, each of which is characterized by how much light in percentage reflects the surface covered with such a varnish:
- high-gloss – more than 90%;
- glossy – 80-90%;
- semi-man – 40-50%;
- half-one – 10-15%;
- Matte – less than 10%.
When choosing it is worth keeping in mind the features of shiny coatings. All flaws are highlighted on glossy surfaces. Moreover, it is more often used for the design of modern interiors in high-tech styles, futurism and similar. Matte varnish, on the contrary, allows partially to hide the flaws, and the surface is velvety. Such an effect is needed when creating an atmosphere of comfort, for example, both stylistics Provence, Country and others.
Choosing varnish, decide what effect you want to achieve in the end. You may need to simply emphasize the beauty of the tree or change it to a slightly shade, give wood shine or pearl shine. Remember that if you don’t like it, as one or another lacquer, you can partially dismantle the acrylic film, “walking around” on the surface of the grinder with a special grinding disk. However, it is necessary to act carefully that the removal was the same throughout the area.
Famous manufacturers and reviews
Currently, the leading positions on the quality of the lacquer produced occupy several firms at once. Among them – Russian, Finnish, Slovenian manufacturers. Below is a list of those who were given only positive feedback.
Finnish production products affect not only their excellent quality, but also. It is 3-4 times higher on the other similar products from other brands. However, acrylic paints and varnishes are the most reliable and safe of all.
This latex varnish on an acrylic basis is designed to emphasize the texture and color of the tree, and at the same time protect it from negative environmental factors. There are tinting options for unusual shades, for example, “Lemon” or “Firing Greens”. “Tree”. Wax is added to the goods of this brand, as a result of which the fat content increases and, therefore, its protective properties. It is better to use “tree” for internal works, it will be necessary to apply it to 3-4 layers.
The company is engaged in the production of two-component paints and varnishes, which are characterized by a high speed of frozen, as well as increased strength characteristics, especially if the enamel is applied under the varnish layer.
Such varnishes can not be used for floors. Initially, the composition has a dairy-white color, but when drying it becomes completely transparent, so that its presence is practically not affected on the original shade of wood.
This Slovenian firm offers some of the best acrylic varnishes. Their safety both for humans and for ecology is confirmed by many certificates.
Produces varnishes in comfortable sprayers. There are salted products, which means that the tinting is not needed – you can choose the desired shade from a wide range of colors.
This acrylic sample refers to aqualak and more like impregnation than a varnish in a classical understanding. It reliably protects wood from negative impacts, microorganisms and abrasion.
The safest of all the products presented, which can be used and for coating wooden dishes. These varnishes can not be used for external work, as they play more decorative role.
Offers excellent varnishes that perfectly protect against negative impacts. Suitable for use in rooms and outdoor treatment. Quality of goods at the highest level.
Selection and application
Apply acrylic varnish in several layers.
For application, you can use multiple tools:
- Roller with a pile length up to 5 mm. Guarantees fast coloring.
- Brush. Work more time-consuming, but there is an opportunity to re-establish all hard-to-reach places.
- Kraspopult or sprayer. The most convenient and economical of the methods of application. Allows you to apply a uniform layer, including hard to reach places.
Selection of one or another material – half of success. Do not mistaken. So, if you plan to cover, for example, a chest of drawers with an abundance of carved parts, then it is best to prefer the kraskopult. For smooth milking floors is suitable and roller.
Before starting work, you need to prepare. The surface must be cleaned, in some cases it will be needed primer. If there is such an opportunity, refuse to acquire an acrylic pattern, which is superimposed on the primer. Then the original texture of the tree will be pronounced.
Few varnish can guarantee a protective coating after one layer, so they are superimposed at least two. So that the coating happened even, you need the first layer after it will dry, slid slightly. Cleaning the surface, you can apply the second layer.
After all the work on the imposition of the lacquer layer are finished, and the coverage is dry, you can begin to finish. Keep in mind that acrylic varnish dries completely in two days. To do this, optimally use parquet care products or wood wax. Such procedures will be removed by the lacquer coating from fast damage, because the final operational characteristics it will only drop after two weeks.
Fielding professionals are divided by some recommendations regarding the choice of acrylic varnish, its use, operation and storage.
- It happens that the lacquer thickens with time, and it needs to be diluted. For these purposes, it is impossible to use solvents or other chemicals. Only clean water.
- When diluted, you need to remember the proportions. If you add more than a tenth of water to the composition, it will lead to the loss of properties and quickly damage to the tree after processing.
- Before using paintwork, it must be thoroughly strained to eliminate the possibility of divorce and color spots on the surface.
- Before processing, you need to check the moisture. Ideally, it should be well sucked, but it is permissible to cover the boards with varnish if their humidity does not exceed 50%.
- Carefully degrease the surface. In places with fat stains, varnish is simply not concluded with the surface, and this will lead to defects. In addition, when applying a substance of dairy color to such places, its color will not disappear, but will remain the same, which will be much noticeable.
- Follow the instructions. There will certainly be said that it is not necessary to do one thick layer of material. Best impose a couple of thin.
About the subtleties of applying acrylic varnish on the tree describes in detail in the video.