Acrylic paints are considered the most common paints for facades. They are suitable for almost any type of surface, providing a durable coating and protection against excess moisture. They also fall smoothly, do not smell and dry quickly. Using acrylic coating, you can hide small defects, give the house beautiful and neat appearance.
Under each type of wall covering there is a large selection of different facade paints. They are manufactured taking into account the properties of these coatings, also have their own specific qualities.
Most often at the last stage of the house finishes, facade acrylic paints are used, which have such characteristics:
- wear resistance;
- Resistant to temperature drops.
Acrylic paints are based on acrylic acid derivatives in the form of a resin with additives. Facade acrylic paint is two types:
- mixtures on organic solvents;
- water-based (water-level).
Water-emulsion facade acrylic paint is well suited for its technical characteristics for finishing the house, it is dissolved by conventional water, does not smell and dries quickly.
The composition of acrylic paint includes:
- Film-forming substance (binder) – The quality of paint depends on this component, its durability and strength. It affects the adhesion to the surface and connects the remaining coating components;
- solvent – reduces viscosity, use or water, or an organic solvent;
- Pigments – give color, are natural, synthetic, organic and inorganic. If you need to create your own shade, the pigments are worth choosing the same manufacturer as the white paint base itself. This will protect against the dissolution of the pigment in the binder.
Fillers (dispersant, coalescent, defoamer and others), which are responsible for wear resistance, moisture resistance, strength and antiseptic effect may be added. To obtain persistent shades, various organic and inorganic connections use. The cost and technical characteristics of the coating depend on the presence and number of components in the composition.
Up to drying, acrylic paint can be diluted with water, and the excess should be carefully witching the wet towel, but in the finished form, the coating is similar to a soluble insoluble plastic film, although it seems rather thin.
Advantages and disadvantages
Acrylic compositions are highly popular due to their ease of use, with their help you can finish repairs during the day and at the same time not to poison toxic substances that are distinguished from other types of paints and varnishes. Of course, it requires certain storage and use rules. Acrylic consists of water, so it is necessary to store paint at possess temperatures; You can apply a new layer after drying the previous one so that the paint lay well and not deformed.
The composition is so durable and wear-resistant that it is not easy to remove it from the surface. It’s both minus and plus. Plus lies in the fact that the composition practically does not respond to mechanical impact.
The benefits include:
- Good tolerability of temperature differences and changes of weather conditions, paint is resistant to moisture, does not crack and does not fade into the sun;
- long service life (from 10 to 20 years);
- The composition does not smell and dries quickly;
- A wide range of applications, paint is used for both exterior and internal works;
- environmental friendliness;
- high vapor permeability;
- simplicity of application;
- the possibility of staining at temperatures from -20 to 30 degrees Celsius;
- Masking of small defects.
- relative high cost;
- the need to monitor the safety of the material in the open container;
- Before applying some species, it is necessary to progress.
The modern market presents a wide selection of paints and varnish products of foreign and domestic manufacturers. Finding the appropriate facade acrylic paint will not be much labor.
From domestic producers worth highlighting firms “Eurolux” and “Optimist”. Paintworks of both firms have a wide range of different shades, in comparison with foreign counterparts are not inferior in quality, but significantly cheaper.
Foreign firms have the greatest popularity of the Finnish manufacturer “Tikkurila”. It produces paints for various types of surfaces that are distinguished by high quality. Paintworks of this manufacturer are tested by time.
Below is a list of manufacturers who received more positive feedback from buyers:
- “Ceresit” – best suited for staining plaster, can also be used to apply on the roof due to high wear resistance and low water absorption.
- “Halo” – It has good vapor permeability, used for brick, wooden and twisted surfaces.
- “Parade” – Resistant to ultraviolet, vapor permeable. It is painted concrete and metal surfaces.
- “FarbitEx” – wear-resistant coating, withstands temperature drops, well korked in pastel colors. Designed for concrete, brick, sheplicated walls.
- Matte paint “Dulux” – Used for any facades with mineral base.
- “Tikkurila” – Great for already painted surfaces, perfectly falls, quickly dries, moisture resistant.
How to choose?
The choice of facade paint is a very important process, because it depends not only by the external type of building, but also its service life.
The weather conditions negatively affect the condition of the facade, and therefore it needs additional protection.
Properly selected paint must have the following characteristics:
- corrosion resistance;
- wear resistance;
- protection against moisture impact;
- The coating should not ignite if there is a fire;
- protection against ultraviolet rays;
- resistance to temperature change;
- Strength, paint should not be damaged;
- Pollution resistance.
These criteria must be performed for any types of surfaces (wood, concrete, metal), because they provide a neat appearance at home for many years, high strength and protection against damage.
There is a wide selection of color gamut, but If it is impossible to find the desired color, you can buy white paint and make a tinting yourself By adding pigment.
A film that is formed after drying acrylic paint, reliably protects the concrete surface, ensures immunity to chemicals and resistance to adverse weather. Water-dispersion paint protects against corrosion reinforced concrete structures.
When choosing a facade coating for wooden walls, you must pay attention to the antiseptic properties of the coating, because the tree has a high penetration depth. The antiseptic protects against the atmospheric effect, the formation of mold and rot, preserves the texture of the tree, emphasizes the natural color. Due to the impact of ultraviolet, wood can crack, it leads to its deformation, so it is very important to paint the wooden facade on time.
To choose the right view of the coating, it is necessary to take into account climate, weather conditions, type and material surface, paint composition. It is also important to paint the house only in dry weather.
Paint color is important. The most optimal option is the selection of similar shades of one color, in which the roof, facade, frames, stairs will be painted. Basically, the roof has a darker shade, and light natural colors are selected for the walls. It looks bad as a large number of different colors and staining in one color of the whole house.
Bright shades visually make the structure more and brighter. Colors are also selected on the basis of climate, in cold areas it is preferable to use dark shades that will attract heat. And for hot regions, on the contrary, light tones are used.
Features of use
Regardless of the type of surface, the principle of using facade paint is almost identical. A large role in preparation for staining is cleaning the walls of fat, mud or old paint clusters. The better the surface will be prepared, the more she successes, the better the paint will fall.
For better effect, you need to apply more than two layers, but the new layer is superimposed only after the complete drying of the previous. Despite the fact that the acrylic coating is considered universal, the type of surfaces of the surface and paint composition is of great importance.
Since this paint is distinguished by a high drying rate, while use it is better to overflow from packaging into a small capacity so that it does not have time to dry. Also carry out staining is preferably at temperatures up to +20 degrees Celsius, because the high temperature leads to the acceleration of drying.
If you want to get your shade of the coating, then it is necessary to mix the paints in a separate container before staining, since on the surface of the paint lay the new layer, and not mixed.
Tools for painting (tassels, roller) are easily clean after completion. Roller is convenient to use when staining a large surface area, and tassels are better to use for hard-to-reach places.
For painting of wooden surfaces, it is necessary to use paint with the content of antiseptics and flames. Antiseptics do not give to appear mold, and anti-spires will protect during a fire.
The process of preparation of the tree before painting can be divided into several stages:
- When simple repairs are made in order to refresh the construction, you can not remove the old layer of paint if it is completely preserved and is not damaged. In other cases, the old coating, pollution and mold are completely removed;
- It is necessary to completely dry the tree and sharpen all cracks or defects;
- Apply a special primer, and jokes to handle seal. Ideally, the primer must contain an antiseptic.
The process of staining itself occurs with a brush. It is necessary to drive it in the direction of the fibers so that there are no divorces, and each new layer is grinding after drying. Thus, it is possible to achieve smooth coverage. If you need to paint a large surface, you can not produce grinding. The end result will still be attractive to look.
Due to the fact that the metal quickly enters the reaction with moisture, the main problem of this pretty durable material is corrosion. That’s why It is worth choosing paints with a high anti-corrosion substance, which will protect the metal from the adverse effects of weather conditions.
Before staining, it is necessary to prepare the surface: remove rust (special solvent or metal brushing), clean from dirt, dry well.
There are covers that can be used even by rust and without primer, but it is worth considering that The better the preparation of metal to paint, the longer it will last.
Paint a brick house a bit more complicated than other surfaces. First of all, it is necessary to close all the cracks with plaster or cement mortar, and then clean from dust and dirt if old paint is present, then remove it. As soon as the walls are purified, you can wash them with water from the hose. Sometimes wet walls are treated with a special cleaner.
After the walls are dry, it is necessary to go to primed, and then to the painting itself. For staining it is better to choose a wide brush so that there is no unsubeced stripes.
It is necessary to paint in two layers, after what time can you apply the second layer indicated on the paint packaging.
Plaster and concrete
Fresh and well dried plaster is simple in staining:
- First, primer is applied;
- The surface is well dried;
- then applying paint.
If the surface has defects, then first of all it is necessary to clean it, spend the spit, grinding, primer, and then paint. These processes are the same for both plaster and concrete surfaces.
How to properly apply acrylic paint, look in the following video.