- How to choose a metal cutter
- Ranking of the best metal torches
- An overview of the best metal torches
- GCE P8 – Dragon 0767578
- Autogene RPK-2 up to 500 mm 0000623
- NORD-S 100P (535 mm) NORD 1390010
- KRASS P3P-300 2117527
- CEDAR P3P-05 1390036
- Svarog RZ-345 1C005-006 95653
- Autogen-M Beacon-2-01 9/9 SV000010180
- REDIUS P3P-02MU SV000009025
*Editor’s review of the best ones. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective, not an advertisement and is not intended as a guide to purchase. Ask a professional before you buy.
When you need to cut metal in large quantities without high precision, oxygen torches are used. Unlike a bolt cutter, they can guide a cutting line not only in a straight line, but also in an arbitrary manner. Cutting speed is also much faster here, and the cost of the process is lower. To choose the right tool, we offer a number of practical tips from the experts. Here are eight models that are very popular with cutters and have gathered a lot of positive feedback.
How to choose a metal cutter
In order to choose the right metal cutter, you need to pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Type of working gas. Oxygen torches use flammable gas to create flame. It can be acetylene or propane. The first one produces a flame with a temperature of up to 3000 degrees, which contributes to a quick heating of the part. Propane burns at 1600ºC, so it heats thick parts slower, but deforms sheet metal less with heat. There are universal cutters that are adapted to work with both types of gases, where you only need to change the nozzle.
- Maximum cutting thickness. It can be 10, 30 or 50 cm. Think about the kind of product you have to deal with and choose the right model. If the power of the cutter will not be enough to cut the part in one pass, then it will have to turn it over, which increases the time of the work and makes the cut crooked.
- The design of the valves. Evaluate the convenience of oxygen and combustible gas adjustment taps. There are models where all flame presets can be done with one hand. Lever-operated oxygen supply even allows one-handed operation, useful when working at height.
- Length. The tool can be sized from 40 cm to 1.3 m. The shorter the tubes, the more accurately the nozzle can be guided along the cutting line, which is important for responsible cutting of blanks for future welding. But in this case the welder is exposed to more temperature. Long tubes allow you to work at a safer distance from the molten metal, but the accuracy of the cutting line decreases. It is practical for cutting scrap metal or work with large constructions.
- Nozzle angle. Tips with a 90º angle are convenient for making vertical cuts from a sitting position. Nozzles with 45º inclination suitable for cutting metal standing up. Diameter of the nozzle affects the ability to penetrate a narrow place and cut a certain thickness of metal.
- Type of gas mixing. Available as Injector or In-nozzle. The first one implies a mixing chamber with a regulator in the middle part of the torch. This gives a more stable flame and compact size of the tool, but increases its cost. In-plug cutting torches have three tubes for a separate supply of each gas to the nozzle. It’s cheaper, easier, but it increases weight and size of the tool. But with the intra-nozzle type there will never be a flame backfire (when fire is sucked into the nozzle and can go through the hoses into the cylinder).
- Nipples. Two nuts and nipples for hose connection are included with each torch. They can be 9 mm in diameter or staggered to 6 and 9 mm, which extends the possibilities of using the communications.
- Nozzle orifice design. There is a ring in the ring, where a small hole supplies the cutting oxygen and a large hole supplies the combustible mixture. As the nozzle gradually burns out, the evenness of the flare will be lost. A more reliable option is multiple small holes around the mouthpiece, which makes the shape of the flare more stable. But the fine holes are periodically clogged with slag and need to be cleaned with a needle.
- Weight.Comes in from 0.7 to 2.5 kg. The smaller mass makes it easier for your hands to work for 6-8 hours.
- Continuous or monolithic construction. If the torch can be disassembled, it makes repairs cheaper, e.g. in case of replacement of a burned or warped tube. One-piece torches are cheaper, but if one piece is seriously damaged, you’ll have to buy a new torch.
Ranking of the best metal torches
|Nomination||the place||product name||price|
|Review of the best metal cutters||1||GCE P8 – Dragon 0767578||9 930€|
|2||Autogen RPK-2 up to 500 mm 0000623||9 600€|
|3||NORD-S 100P (535 mm) NORD 1390010||3 880€|
|4||KRASS P3P-300 2117527||3 300€|
|5||CEDAR P3P-05 1390036||2 890€|
|6||Svarog RZ-345 1C005-006 95653||2 900€|
|7||Avtogen-M Beacon-2-01 9/9 SV000010180||2 500€|
|8||REDIUS P3P-02MU SV000009025||2 200€|
An overview of the best metal torches
With these parameters in mind, let’s move on to specific products, selected by experts based on their performance and cutter feedback. You may find the right model for your needs here at a glance.
GCE P8 – Dragon 0767578
Topping the list of the best torches is a professional model from the Czech brand GCE. This is an acetylene torch with an injector, the temperature of the flame reaches 3000 ° C, which contributes to the rapid heating of the metal. Mixing of oxygen and combustible gas is carried out in a special chamber, and the cutting jet is fed separately. Two valves on the sides of the torch are used to adjust the torch, and the cutting oxygen valve is located on top, so the welder does not mix anything up. These elements are additionally marked in color. The cutter is 550 mm long, so it is easy to cut large parts (machine bodies, rails, channels, etc.). d.).
Experts marked out the model for high-quality assembly, which is confirmed by the owners in their reviews. It also has a long service life, which is aided by a nozzle with a particularly thick tip. This protects the part when in contact with heated metal and working in a high-temperature environment.
- 550 mm length is suitable for cutting of large parts;
- is able to penetrate the cross-section of the metal up to 30 cm;
- High-quality construction;
- The head is resistant to overheating.
- quite high cost;
- hose connections are close to each other and make a quick connection more difficult.
Autogene RPK-2 up to 500 mm 0000623
The experts gave the second step of the review to a propane torch, which heats metal up to 1600 degrees. This prevents overheating of the workpieces and deformation of thin sheets with a cross-section of 1-3 mm. But if required by the production need, the autogenous cutting machine is capable of cutting steel up to 500 mm thick. Welders report stable combustion and high efficiency. Structurally, the torch differs from the above-described method of supply of cutting oxygen. There are two valves to adjust the torch, and cutting is done by pushing the lever at the top. This allows you to manipulate the tool with one hand, holding the workpiece with the other.
We recommend this cutting torch for cutting very big constructions (car bodies, wagons) to be very safe for the welder. Model length is 1.3 m thick, allowing you to be farther away from where the parts to be cut fall.
- cuts metal up to 50 cm thick;
- handy handle for feeding the cutting blast;
- less deformation of the metal;
- Hose connectors are separated, which facilitates connection.
- inconvenient to operate in a confined space;
- of weight 2.5 kg my hands get tired faster.
NORD-S 100P (535 mm) NORD 1390010
In the top three is a valve cutter for propane, which has a length of 535 mm and is suitable for parts with a thickness of up to 10 cm. Two small control valves are located on the side and are color coded and the cutting oxygen valve is located on the top and has a larger shape. The cost of the torch is less than those described above, because there is no injector, and each gas is fed through a separate tube. The mixing itself takes place inside the nozzle. But this design is simpler and more reliable. Torch weight 1.1 kg less hand fatigue for prolonged use. The unit for metal cutting is sold together with the NORD-C 2P nozzle, distinguished by its narrow shape for easy access to recesses and grooves.
Owners praise the torch for its reliability and indestructibility. Due to the three-tube design, flame backfire will never happen here. Also all parts of the tool including the handle are made of metal, so the torch withstands falls and overheating very well.
- easy replacement of the mouthpiece;
- low weight 1.1 kg;
- convenient length 535 mm;
- easy control.
- Not suitable for cutting parts thicker than 10 cm
- more convenient for right-handed people;
- taps will be quite tight immediately after purchase (cuts off the flame when opened sharply), and then develops.
KRASS P3P-300 2117527
Continues the review with a torch from the Russian brand KRASS, which is equipped with an injector. Oxygen is regulated by the upper valves and propane by the side. All fittings and threads are made of brass, and stainless steel tubing, which provides resistance to corrosion and mechanical stress. Gas hoses can be connected through nipples with a diameter of 6 or 9 mm. Weight of the autogene 1.18kg reduces the strain on your hands. Feedback from welders like the fact that the torch valves are in high relief, preventing slipping in their hands. They also have signs on them to make orientation easier for beginners.
Experts considered the autogene the best because of the presence of quality four internal mouthpieces with numbers 1-4 in the set. This allows you to quickly retrofit a nozzle for cutting metal with a cross section of 1 to 300 mm and get a torch of a certain power. You do not need to buy anything separately for this model.
- light weight 1.18 kg;
- easy mouthpiece change;
- Comfortable valves with protruding edges do not slip in your hands;
- nipples 6/9 mm for connection.
- if dropped from height, plastic handle may break.
CEDAR P3P-05 1390036
On the next place is the torch for working with metal with a thickness of 1 to 30 cm. It has gas mixing in the nozzle itself, which simplifies the design. Manufacturer put the gas valve directly on the nipple at the back of the handle to save newcomers from getting confused with the adjustments. Additional color coding for easy orientation. You need to unscrew the crimp nut to set the proper diameter nozzle for cutting metal. Brass and stainless steel construction withstands use on a construction site or shop floor without corrosion or dents, and retains form rigidity despite the 52 cm in length.
Cutters share in their reviews that nothing bakes in their hands when working for extended periods of time. This is due to a clever overlay on the brass tubes that reduces the heat transfer. Also on the handle is a lot of uppermost pimples to prevent slipping in the hands. This tool is comfortable and easy to hold.
- narrow nozzle;
- comfortable handle with comfortable grip
- simple and sturdy design;
- small weight 900 g.
- installation of nozzles is more complicated than on other models;
- the flame cannot be adjusted with one hand because the gas tap is on the rear side.
Svarog RZ-345 1C005-006 95653
Svarog brand offers an autogen for cutting metal up to 30 cm thick. The length of the model is 50 cm, and gas mixing takes place inside the nozzle, protecting against flame backfire. Connection of hoses is allowed through nipples with a diameter of 6 or 9 mm. Propane tip included. Lever start cutting oxygen facilitates one-handed use of the tool and promotes gas savings of up to 30%. Cutters praise the product in reviews for its weight of 770 g, which does not fatigue their hands at all. It is very comfortable to manipulate when cutting metal.
The autogen attracted the experts’ attention because of its versatility, as it can work with both acetylene and propane. This model has a unique shape of the body, where all controls are placed in the rear part. This makes it extremely thin, allowing it to enter tight places or to cut metal through mounting holes inside the structure.
- rugged metal housing;
- unique design;
- quick nozzle change;
- gas type versatility.
- no acetylene nozzle included.
Autogen-M Beacon-2-01 9/9 SV000010180
The propane model “Mayak-2-01” stands out among the cutters for metal at an affordable price. The tool is of the injector type with two brass tubes. Overall length 58 cm. Maximum cutting thickness up to 300 mm. In the reviews the welders are satisfied with the complete set, where together with the torch provided 4 internal and 2 external nozzles. The handle is made of aluminum and connected with two screws, and the entire body is cast from brass, so the autogenous machine confidently withstands operation in harsh construction conditions.
Experts rated the torch the best torch shape. Unlike most competitors, it has a nozzle for mixing gases, not a ring in the ring, but the holes for cutting oxygen and 10 holes in a circle, from which the combustible mixture is fed. It makes the torch run more even, regardless of how long the torch lasts. Competitor nozzles with small and large diameter holes gradually create a gap on one side, shifting the flare sideways.
- made completely of metal;
- Convenient hose connection thanks to the gas nipple outlet downward;
- resistant to corrosion;
- Good equipment;
- affordable price.
- There is gradually a backlash on the valves.
REDIUS P3P-02MU SV000009025
TOP-8 is completed with a propane torch with an injector, which has an upper and a side tap to adjust the heating flame, as well as an additional valve for cutting oxygen. Nozzle positioned at a 45º angle, making it easy to make vertical cuts from a standing position. The hose connection nipples have a stepped configuration with diameters of 6 and 9 mm, so they are suitable for different utilities. Torch capable of cutting metal up to 30 cm thick, which is provided with 4 interchangeable internal tips. The model weighs 1 kg, which makes it very easy to work for 6-8 hours.
If you need a long cutter for cutting large metal, but aren’t ready to give away 9,000k. rub., As for the Autogen RPK-2 model, then pay attention to this option. It can be purchased from 2200 rubles., and the length of the tool is 77 cm. Despite the budget, the product has a decent set of 4 internal mouthpieces, and the cutter body is demountable and allows you to replace the barrel without removing the valve block and handle.
- convenient connection of the hose with gas;
- 45º nozzle angle facilitates vertical standing cuts;
- two variants of diameter of fittings;
- collapsible body.
- long brass tubes bend over time and get dents.