- How to choose a reliable woodchopper
- Best wood secateurs ranking
- The best manual woodcutters
- Kolundrov “X4” X4-5
- The best electric firewood cutters
- AL-KO LSV 7
- CHAMPION LSH5001
- AL-KO KHS 5204
- RedVerg RD-LS 25-37E
Many remote regions of Russia do not yet have mains gas, so homeowners continue to make firewood for the winter. Increase labor productivity with minimal physical effort; Woodchoppers. Due to the clever design, one movement of the mechanism splits the log into 2 or 4 parts. Today on the market you can find several effective models with different design. Our experts will help you choose the best model for home use.
How to choose a reliable woodchopper
- If you need firewood for a bath or barbecue, a small amount can be chopped with a hand-held woodchopper. Unlike a cleaver (axe) this tool requires less physical effort, one or two blows with a sledgehammer enough to quarter a large log. Handheld woodchopper will help when you are away from the electricity grid.
- When the task is to make firewood for the winter for a private home or workshop, it is better to give preference to electric models. They are powered by an electric motor, the operator only needs to position the log correctly and press the start button. Even a small motor (1.5 kW) splits knotty logs with ease. Approximate force on the chock will be about 4 tons. For large logs, it is better to pick up a model with a more powerful electric motor (2.2-3.0 kW) and the value of the effort (5-7 tons).
- In case of prolonged work, the ability to adjust the height of the bed will be an important option. It will allow you to choose the most comfortable position when working. Although some users like to make firewood while sitting on a chair.
- When selecting a splitter you need to consider the size of the logs to be split. Generally up to 50 cm long is enough, but in some stoves or boilers one metre long pieces of wood can easily fit in. With the thickness, it looks a little easier, even if the maximum diameter is exceeded, the billets can be split in a few steps, gradually turning it.
- Electric woodcutters are usually moved on wheels. Combined with a handy handle, moving a 40-50kg machine is no problem. If the device will have a permanent place of dislocation, the weight will not be decisive.
- In the process of work, do not forget about safety. Producers equip their products with two-hand control to prevent your hands from getting into the working area. Special metal screens reduce the risk of injury to the worker by chips that bounce off.
In our review hit the 5 best woodcutters. The rating was based on expert opinion and feedback from domestic consumers.
Best wood secateurs ranking
|Best hand-held wood trimmers||1||Kolundrov “X4” X4-5||6 550€|
|The best electric woodcutters||1||AL-KO LSV 7||36 690€|
|2||CHAMPION LSH5001||17 400€|
|3||AL-KO KHS 5204||18 490€|
|4||RedVerg RD-LS 25-37E||15 190€|
The best manual woodcutters
The easiest, most reliable and affordable attachment for splitting logs is the hand-held log splitter. You also need a sledgehammer to hit the log. A successful design was invented by a domestic manufacturer.
Kolundrov “X4” X4-5
A simple but very effective device for making firewood is the Kolundrov “X4” hand woodchopper. The model allows you to quickly chop firewood for the barbecue or the Russian bath without much physical effort. The woodchopper has an original design, which is based on a stable base. The lower part in the form of a large washer with holes is connected by two steel bars to the upper ring. It becomes a kind of limiter for logs. Two sharp blades are perpendicular to each other, so you can split a log into four pieces at once.
Users are pleased with the original design of the woodchopper, its efficiency and simplicity. Disadvantages include the need to swing a sledgehammer, as well as limiting the diameter of logs (180 mm).
- anti-corrosion coating;
- ingenious design;
- low weight (6,5 kg).
- limitation in the thickness of the log.
The best electric firewood cutters
Maximum comfort when making firewood for the winter will provide homeowners with electric woodchips. The task of the operator will be to stack logs and press the starter mechanism. The experts have selected several effective and reliable models.
AL-KO LSV 7
The electric wood splitter AL-KO LSV 7 can be referred to professional tools. The vertical model is capable of splitting logs up to 1.03 m long. Height of the table is adjustable (3 positions), allowing the operator to work as comfortably as possible depending on the length of the logs (0,56 m, 0,81 m and 1,03 m). The 3 kW electric motor generates an enormous pressure (7 tons), so even logs with limbs will not resist the woodchopper. The device is set in motion and controlled by two hands, and this provides maximum work safety. Experts praised the performance and safety of the woodchopper, giving it first place in the ranking.
The model has earned many flattering words from users for its convenience and efficiency. The only obvious disadvantage is the high price.
- splits large logs
- high power;
- height adjustment of the table;
- safe when working.
- high price.
Experts have found an optimal combination of price and quality in the CHAMPION LSH5001 woodchipper. This electric device yields slightly to the leader of the rating in power (a pressing force of 5 tons), losing in the maximum length of logs (52 cm). But the Chinese unit is lighter (45 kg) and more mobile. The whole construction looks reliable, if necessary, the bolt connections can be tightened. With a motor power of 2.2 kW, the woodchopper can handle billets with a diameter of 40 cm. The hydraulic system is filled with oil, but the unit itself will have to assemble after unpacking.
Users have had time to evaluate the pros and cons of the woodchopper. it looks safe and reliable, the lever is protected by a metal guard. Only the rubber handles are missing for ease of movement.
- Compact and lightweight;
- long mains cable;
- sturdy frame;
- interchangeable nozzles in the kit.
- plastic wheels;
- There are no soft handles.
AL-KO KHS 5204
Another model of the famous German company AL-KO included in our rating. The KHS 5204 log splitter works on a horizontal plane. It is based on a high adjustable frame, which makes the back of the operator less tired. The dimensions of split billets are limited to 52 cm in diameter and 0.25 m in length. The 2.2 kW electric motor provides a maximum pushing force of 5 tons. Sturdy construction, as well as durability, is not questioned by experts, but the stability of the unit leaves much to be desired. Therefore, only third place in the rating.
Users have found another disadvantage that reduces the productivity of labor. Model is not equipped with a attachment for splitting logs into 4 parts.
- quality assembly;
- Low weight (47 kg);
- high frame;
- Instability when working with big logs;
- low output.
RedVerg RD-LS 25-37E
The most affordable household electrical appliance is the Chinese RedVerg RD-LS 25-37E. It is easy to use, lightweight (40.5 kg) and compact in size. Model not in the top three of the rating due to low splitting force (4 tons), as well as limitations on the size of logs. The maximum length of the logs should not exceed 37 cm and the diameter 25 cm. Two-handed control of the unit positively affects the safety of the operator, and thanks to the convenient handle and wheels, the device quickly moves. Steel parts reliably protected against corrosion.
Owners of the electric wood splitter have no problem splitting logs in half. But there is no special attachment for quartering in the set with the device.
- affordable price;
- easy to move;
- lightness and compactness;
- two-hand control.
- No attachment for quartering;
- small log diameter.