- How to choose a sharpening machine
- Rating of the best sharpeners
- The best universal sharpening machines
- E TECH ST 600C
- VICHR TS-400
- Wert GM 0315
- The best machines for sharpening drills and knives
- Diold MZS-0.2
- Sturm BG6010S
- atriot BG 100
- Best chain sharpening machines
- CHAMPION C2001
- Vihr SZC-200
- CHAMPION C2000
- Best machines for sharpening circular saw blades
- Enkor Korvet 472
- Ka Master EZS-110DM
At home and in professional activities we constantly use different tools that need sharpening. From knife to cutter – everyone is more pleasant to work with if the edges are straight and sharp. Therefore, our experts have prepared a rating of the best sharpening machines for dressing the cutting part of both ordinary tools and specific. The material is based on numerous reviews and after a careful comparison of product characteristics, which will help you choose proven equipment for different needs.
How to choose a sharpening machine
Before starting to study the rating, it is worth considering how to choose a sharpening machine, so as to understand what certain characteristics in the description say. Here are the main criteria that you need to pay attention to:
- Power. For household machines 150-250 watts is enough. It is enough to sharpen knife and garden tools. For professional use, machines with power up to 600 watts are made. This value depends on the motor’s ability to withstand the loads from the clamping of the parts to be sharpened and not overheat at the same time.
- Number of revolutions.Thin steel is sharpened at low speed, otherwise it will overheat and let go. Thick objects are ground at high speeds starting from 2000 rpm. In the case of carbide elements, a high rotational speed of up to 15,000 rpm is needed.
- Turning diameter. Varies from 12 to 32 mm. The larger the shaft, the coarser the wheels are allowed to be set. Mounting a large wheel on a small shaft is unacceptable.
- Circle diameter and width.These values influence the size of the tool being sharpened. Small parts (knives, chisels, chisels) are sharpened on small and thin circles. Large objects (axes, scythes, hoes) need wide and large abrasives. This will provide better edge evenness and productivity.
- Safety and convenience features. Sharpening machines are equipped with various gadgets for better operation and safety. For example, it can be a support for the stop, and in some models even with an adjustable angle. A protective transparent screen that covers the operator’s eyes from the flight of small particles. Directional light for better visibility on the sharpening quality. Cooling and rinsing tub.
Understanding the main criteria of choice, we turn to the consideration of the best sharpening models from the rating, divided into categories according to the purpose of equipment.
Rating of the best sharpeners
|The best universal sharpening machines||1||E||5 700€|
|2||ZUBR ZTSHM-200-450||4 160€|
|3||VICHR TS-400||3 390€|
|4||Wert GM 0315||1 553€|
|Best machines for sharpening drills and knives||1||Diold MZS-0.2||3 389€|
|2||Sturm BG6010S||2 530€|
|3||Patriot BG 100||2 190€|
|Best chain sharpening machines||1||CHAMPION C2001||6 650€|
|2||Vihr SZC-200||2 130€|
|3||CHAMPION C2000||2 300€|
|The best machines for sharpening circular saw blades||1||Enkor Korvet 472||28 428€|
The best universal sharpening machines
Universal machines are designed so that both small objects and large parts can be conveniently sharpened in them. The best machines for domestic use, for installation in a garage or in a small workshop, where wood or metal is processed.
Modern all-purpose sharpening machine with a compact body and two 200 mm diameter circles. Rotation is powered by a 450 W motor and revs up to 2950 rpm. The machine is equipped with a LED lamp on a flexible leg, hinged glass screens and a thin stand with variable distance to the emery. For stationary attachment there are two holes on the bottom of the housing. The model is delivered in a package with the seal “Zubr”, confirming the originality.
In the reviews of owners can be seen that the machine is very stable and does not “run” on the table when it is not fixed. For this, it has wide legs-supports that prevent the movement of the equipment from vibration. This top-of-the-line model is best for jobsites where you frequently need to move equipment to clear space or put it away for storage. In subsequent use, the model does not have to be attached to the table.
- the quiet operation;
- the optimum power of 450 watts;
- reasonable price;
- Manufacturer gives 5 years warranty.
- it shakes when turning off;
- Sometimes comes across with crooked stones;
- one variant of planting size;
- The motor heats up during long hours of use.
A simple domestic model with air-cooled motor. The sharpening machine consumes 400 W and has a speed of 2950 rpm. The device works with large circles of 200 mm in diameter and 2.It is 0 cm wide, but is equipped with a specific drive shaft with a size of 16 mm, so customers say that it will be more difficult to find tools for it. Low budget had an impact on everything – except backlighting the device has nothing. No: Stops, tray, protective shields. But the bracket of the light is long and flexible, that allows to bring it on any side and see the working process well.
Our experts recommend this model from the rating as the best for the garage. The coarse emery will quickly correct an axe, cleaver and chisel, and the fine emery will sharpen knives, drills and garden tools. The cost of the machine is half as much as similar products from other manufacturers, which will not create problems for the family budget.
- almost no heat;
- slight vibration;
- affordable price;
- no loud roar.
- specific seating diameter of 16 mm;
- uncomfortable lamp;
- For a big 200 mm sandpaper the engine is a bit weak;
- Requires a fixture on the table, otherwise it will “run”.
Wert GM 0315
Sharpening machine with two small stones, 150 mm in diameter and 16 mm wide. Fitted on a shaft with seat 1.27 cm. Starts the rotation of the 250-watt motor, but the speed is at the level of professional equipment and is 2950 rpm. Watertight start button and dual stops with adjustable distance. Protective shields with an expanding shape that better blocks the path of flying particles. In reviews, owners note the absence of stone beating.
The sharpening model is rated as the cheapest in the category. But the affordable price affects the size, so for sharpening large tools and tooling equipment is not suitable. Since it is not profitable to buy it only for dressing knives in the kitchen, our experts recommend to pay attention to it welders-argon welders, who constantly need to sharpen the tungsten needles of non-consumable electrodes. A fine abrasive wheel provides a perfect taper, contributing to cleaner joints. On a coarse stone it is possible to work on the seam itself on a tube or a small plate.
- Uses as much electricity as two light bulbs;
- A high rotational speed of 2950 rpm;
- lowest cost;
- weight 5 kg – can be placed even on a simple stool.
- plastic case;
- Needs to be fixed to the base;
- poor equipment;
- only for small wheels.
The best machines for sharpening drills and knives
Sharpening knives and drills on an ordinary sharpener requires skill and expertise. The blade of kitchen tools can simply be ground or burned, and the drills will remain blunt because of the wrong angle. Therefore, manufacturers produce machines with already prepared slots, where you only need to insert the tooling, and the rest the machine will do itself. Here’s a ranking of the best sharpening models of this type.
A single-phase 220-volt electric machine that consumes 200 watts per hour of work. Despite its compact size and low power, it develops rotation speeds up to 5500 rpm, which allows you to effectively sharpen carbide steel on drills. Convenient chuck for securing the tool and a centering system for evenly sharpening the edges. Horizontal inlet allows access to the sharpening stone, and by placing the chuck in the vertical hatch, deburrs can be removed.
Proven sharpener that has been on the market for years and has been tested by users. According to reviews, you can see that the machine is reliable and productive, but to buy the wheel for it is not everywhere. So it is not suitable for big volume of works. But our experts recommend to pay attention to it for those who need to sharpen drills with a diameter of 13 mm. Not every model can accommodate such a tooling, and this one is just designed to work with this size, for which it received a place in the ranking.
- light weight 1.9 kg allows you to carry the equipment with you when you change jobs;
- The casing protects the internal parts from dust and abrasive particles as much as possible;
- wide feet prevent slipping on the surface;
- extra seat for deburring.
- You need to take a break every 15 minutes, otherwise it will overheat;
- wheels can only be purchased from the manufacturer;
- When sharpening knives, it removes more from one side;
- plastic body.
The sharpening machine with a motor power of 100 W, developing 6700 rpm. The unit has a compact size of 30×7.5×11 cm and weighs only 1.8 kg. The manufacturer has realized the fastening system of accessories in an interesting way. Model has three blocks to hold drills, scissor knives and chisels. The design is based on one stone, and the blocks are attached to this part of the body alternately. In order not to lose unused parts, there is an attachment on the sides. On the module is designed for chisels and thick axe blades, there is a switch of degrees, which provides sharpening at different angles. Users speak of it as a quiet unit with no vibration.
Experts put the machine in the top ranks thanks to the large tool holding system. When sharpening chisels or chisels, the tool is held in place by a magnet that prevents the object from falling out of your hands.
- Small size and weight;
- can be mounted on any surface;
- aluminum body around the rotating stones;
- Convenient start button on top.
- It is difficult to change the wheels – you must remove the cover completely;
- Flimsy clamping device for sharpening drills;
- Not suitable for drills over 10 mm in diameter;
- safety glass only on the chisel block.
atriot BG 100
American brand assembled in China. Equipped with 96 W power, it accelerates a 56 mm wheel to 1,350 rpm. The 180 grit stone provides a neatly ground edge and sharpness. Rubberized cable is resistant to sub-zero temperatures and remains flexible for long periods. Made of plastic, which allowed to reduce the cost and weight. Similar to other brands has three interchangeable blocks to hold different objects. The module for chisels and chisels has a screw to adjust the tilt position, but no degree markings, so you have to adjust the device by eye. In reviews, owners note that this is strictly a household model because the circle will quickly wear out from frequent use.
Multifunctional sharpener from our rating experts recommend for sharpening manicure tools. Since manicure masters often have blunt tools, this machine, weighing only 1 kg, will help to always have a sharp cutting edge, and the stone will last a long time due to the work with short blades.
- Adapts to all sharpening functions;
- The low weight of 1 kg can be carried around with you;
- The recessed trigger does not interfere with sharpening long knives;
- 3 year warranty.
- Does not sharpen the blade at a distance of 1 cm from the handle;
- Takes time to get accustomed to working;
- Difficult to replace grinding wheel;
- Stone rubs off quickly with frequent use with large tools.
Best chain sharpening machines
Saw chain sharpeners are suitable for those who regularly operate chainsaws or their electric and battery-powered counterparts. A sharp chain will ensure high performance and save fuel or keep the electric motor from overheating.
Professional sharpening machine with 230 Watt, producing 3000 rpm. Equipped with 14 stone.5h2.2 cm mounted on a straight shaft from the electric motor. Drive is located on a metal bracket with a lowering top. On the horizontal metal bed, there is a vice-like slot for clamping the chain. The rotating emery is covered by a transparent cover for good visibility and safety. Users draw attention in their reviews to the handy scale, by which it is easy to adjust the degree of impact of the stone on the teeth of the chain.
The equipment is included in the rating because of its good equipment and high performance. It’s worth considering for logging crews that need to sharpen chains in large quantities.
- quality powder coating;
- Powerful motor for this category of machine;
- Comfortable handle with a limiter for lowering the frame;
- effective air cooling.
- need a specific vertical base for installation, since the bottom screw protrudes far outward;
- high cost;
- Some threads are made of plastic;
- Takes up a lot of space.
Domestic product with 200 W power and 6000 rpm speed. Equipped with a 100 mm diameter wheel with a thickness of 3 mm.2 mm. There are three adjustment screws for clamping the chain and adjusting the angle of the motor unit. On the back of the compartment there is a perforation for heat dissipation. Although there is some backlash in the design, according to the reviews of the owners, they can be easily eliminated and the equipment can be adjusted to work correctly.
The machine is rated as one of the cheapest in the category, compared to peers. We recommend this machine for those who need to make a large volume of firewood for heating by themselves, and therefore the chain on a chainsaw regularly needs to be straightened. Due to the low cost, the product quickly pays for itself.
- Can be mounted on a small bar;
- metal frame;
- the scale for angle setting is engraved, not drawn;
- Suitable for chains of different pitch.
- the handle is slippery;
- plastic housing;
- small protection from flying abrasive
- warms up faster.
Saw chain sharpener with a simple design and a weight of only 2 kg. The rotation is provided by an 85-watt electric motor that spins the emery to a speed of 4,500 rpm. stone thickness 4.5 mm allows even professional chains to be sharpened with a big pitch. According to reviews, the machine works very quietly, and its clamp holds firmly the inserted chain. But users miss the backlighting, so this has to be taken care of separately. No full-fledged handle, just a small overhang – the pressure is actually applied by the head of the motor.
Experts decided to add this sharpener to the rating as another affordable option for people who frequently use a chainsaw at the cottage. The machine will allow you to comfortably sharpen the chain instead of spending half a day using a file. It is especially good to change the grinding angle from 30 degrees to 10 degrees, as most owners note.
- Rotation of the working table from 0 to 35 degrees;
- Economic power consumption of 85 W per hour;
- sharpening wheel 10.5 cm;
- Engraved scale for accurate setting.
- plastic frame;
- Flimsy protective cover;
- The stop for the limiter bolt breaks quickly;
- small protective shield.
Best machines for sharpening circular saw blades
Owners of sawmills, circular saws and other equipment with cutting steel blades regularly need to have their teeth straightened, for which specially designed sharpening machines are used.
Enkor Korvet 472
The product of a Russian brand with a powerful motor 370 W and belt transmission. Asynchronous motor spins 2 mm thick and 100 mm diameter stone at 3,500 rpm. the machine is placed on a solid base and weighs 40 kg, so it does not rattle and rides when working. The scale on the rotating part helps to set the correct angle for sharpening. Reviews note that the machine is not hot and is suitable for all-day use.
Rating by experts as the most comfortable machine. The disk is firmly fixed on the bracket, which moves along two guides. The play here is minimal, which ensures high precision of sharpening. When changing from one tooth to another, the disk is locked from reverse rotation so that the cutting edge is not damaged by accidental movement. We recommend this sharpener for a large wood sawing shop where the operator will be comfortable to work for long periods of time.
- All-steel housing;
- powerful guides;
- weighty base that doesn’t have to be mounted;
- good air cooling for continuous operation.
- high cost;
- there is an additional cost to replace the drive;
- No protective screen;
- Long reach for the shutoff button.